[POLL] In your opinion, is the PS2 dead?

PawnTakesKing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
IGN just posted their year-in-review for the PS2 and pretty much declared it dead. Being one of the few people who picked up a PS2 this year, I'd say it still has some life left in it. There have been a few great releases this year, and existing games are available for very reasonable prices now. I still enjoy playing Madden 09, God of War 2, and even older games like Ratchet & Clank. But what do you think? Should Sony put the PS2 out to pasture?

Sony would be crazy to stop selling the PS2, it's still selling well.

And no, I don't think it's dead. Not sure what's coming out for it in the future, but there's still stuff that I need to play on it.

I think it's still got legs. Even though it's seen phenomenal success, there are still plenty of people that don't have one yet. If Sony ever gives it a hefty price drop, I can see it attracting some of the casual market. The only thing I'm looking forward to on it though is Ar Tonelico 2, then I think I'm done.

Also, my big fat launch PS2 still works. I wish my current-gen systems were half as reliable.

It's still has life in it yet. I wouldn't deem anything IGN posts anymore as truth; they're mostly crap. There's TONS of stuff out on it currently that can still be played, and there's still plenty coming out for it from smaller publishers, now that they have chance with some of the "big-wigs" moving on. Atlus, etc.... it's a great console and should continue especially with the current economic condition and the fact that the PS3 plays the PS2 library.

On a personal note mine is FAR from dead. I have something like 200 games on the backlog. Enough to keep me busy for another ten years or so really.

Arcana Heart 2, KoF 02 Unlimited Match, and Sacred Blaze are games that still need a US release. The PS2 can make it through 09

Still waiting on Ar Tonelico 2 here and my PS2 will get use until Grand Turismo 5 comes out to replace GT4.

It may be last generation hardware, but it still sells well. I know some parents who give their kids a PS2 and use present generation hardware for themselves. That said, I think Sony may stop supporting the PS2 at the end of 2009, or at least eight months before they release the PS4.

Based on reviews alone (since I haven't played it yet) Persona 4 needs to be in the running for GOTY, and it should easily win best RPG, which implies no (at least not for another month).

I got a PS2 late in the game, so I have a huge selection of games to play yet, most of which I don't even own yet, so for me the PS2 is far from dead. Also the main game I play anyway (on our consoles) is DDR, and there the PS2 is still king. If and when the crown (for DDR) moves to another platform, only then will some other platform become my primary gaming platform. I hope, if and when it moves, it will move to the Wii, because that will save me money both because the Wii is the only current gen console we have (will have, come xmas), and because Wii games are at least $10 cheaper then 360 & PS3 games, though they're still about $20 too expensive. Oh well.

I have been playing more PS2 games than PS3 games lately, but on my PS3. It don't think it is dead, especially if you bought one in the last two years or so. There are just so many great games and they are really cheap now.

Qualified no. There will still be significant, non-shovelware releases for at least another year. Most (perhaps all) will be in the 2D fighting and JRPG genres though. So if you're not into those kinds of games, the PS2 may as well be dead.

On a personal note, the PS2 is my most-played system and probably will be for another couple of years at least. Like some others I've still got a significant backlog.

I would love to see Sony continue to actively support the PS2, maybe even with a third major hardware revision to make it more portable-friendly or add USB drive support. Something tells me they will just stick with running out the clock though.

Sony appears to be completely focused on the PS3, as I believe Twisted Metal: Head On - Extra Twisted Edition was their last first-party release for the PS2 and that was at the start of the year. Sony's website completely switching over to PSN last month also seems telling that they are moving on. Still, the fact third-party support remains (nearly every major franchise this holiday season has a PS2 port out or coming out), and there are still a handful of releases slated for early 2009, I think the PS2 can still be considered alive through the first half of next year...

Echoing previous responses, my fat PS2 from 2001 has seen better days, but still works quite well. Also picked up an older slim a few years back which I take on the road when needed. Considering my 100+ game backlog, even if the releases stop coming, I plan to stick with the system for years to come...

With Persona 4, I say not yet. On life support? Maybe. As long as Sony keeps releasing games like P4 and whatnot, then it will do just fine.

It's got atleast one more strong year, maybe two if sales keep up in the US. In Japan I can see it going for another 4-5 years as they seem to be anti next-gen home consoles if you look at portable versus next gen sales.

It wasn't until a few months ago the PS3 was actually outselling the PS2 in the US. In Europe I think the PS3 obliterates the PS2, and in Japan PS2 software still sells insanely well and hardware still somewhat.

Let's not also forget this price point: PS2 $129.99 versus PS3 $399.99. In this economy people will sacrifice next gen graphics if they can get a console cheap along with some cheap games.

also the it is relatively easy to port games to and from PSP and Wii, and still havent drop the price to the magic $99

$99 was my sweet spot on Black Friday. My 6th gen collection of systems in now complete. :)

It still sells quite well, considering it gets no press whatsoever. 206k in November isn't too bad, and it's held its own throughout the year. With how the PS3 sells, Sony would be dumb to pull the plug anytime soon.

There's no way that it's dead. With stuff like Yakuza 2, Persona 3 Fes, and Persona 4, the Nights remake, and a couple of really good Beatmania games, it definitely had a waaay better year than the freakin' PS3 did.

I dunno what's coming out over the horizons... all I can think of right now is SMT: Devil Summoner 2, but that's supposed to be an infinitely better game than the first, so it's something to be excited about.

[quote name='Chacrana']...the Nights remake...[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Why have I not seen/heard about this?? Is it a port of the Wii version or an actual remake of the original?

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']Seriously? Why have I not seen/heard about this?? Is it a port of the Wii version or an actual remake of the original?[/QUOTE]

Sega put a remake and the original in one package for the PS2. It's only out in Japan.

We might get a translation of it in the US, but there is no news, so don't hold your breath.

As big of a PS2 fan as I was last gen, it's dead to me after this year. Although I may consider a SingStar on PS2 and maybe Ar Tonelico 2. Outside of that, I've completely moved next gen to PS3 / 360. Due to getting spoiled by PS3/360 features (such as always being online while playing games, HD graphics that look nice on my HDTV, and so on), I just can't play PS2 like I use to. I mostly just play SingStar on it, and because of the SingStar PS3 update (allowing me to play PS2 SingStar games on PS3 with the PS3 interface), I'll probably go several months not playing my PS2.

PS2 was awesome for a while, but I've moved past it.

My answer is, time to move to PS3. I just hope Konami doesn't make PS2 DDR next year and just finally move it to PS3 (because I badly want to play DDR on PS3, but in HD supporting PSN).

It's getting there. I think there are a lot more casual gamers out there holding onto their PS2's than we know of, but the day of the PS2 is coming to an end.

My PS2 still gets plenty of play, so it isn't dead, and I could see it lasting until 2010 with some good games sprinkled amidst a bunch of really bad ones. I'd like to see new stuff still come out for it a decade after its launch, although it's already fairly impressive that new stuff is coming out 8 years after, including great stuff like Yakuza 2.

I say Sony should keep it as a more affordable system for kids.

I got my PSOne when I was around 6
Now who would want to buy a $300 PS3 for their 6 year old?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']As big of a PS2 fan as I was last gen, it's dead to me after this year. Although I may consider a SingStar on PS2 and maybe Ar Tonelico 2. Outside of that, I've completely moved next gen to PS3 / 360. Due to getting spoiled by PS3/360 features (such as always being online while playing games, HD graphics that look nice on my HDTV, and so on), I just can't play PS2 like I use to. I mostly just play SingStar on it, and because of the SingStar PS3 update (allowing me to play PS2 SingStar games on PS3 with the PS3 interface), I'll probably go several months not playing my PS2.

PS2 was awesome for a while, but I've moved past it.

My answer is, time to move to PS3. I just hope Konami doesn't make PS2 DDR next year and just finally move it to PS3 (because I badly want to play DDR on PS3, but in HD supporting PSN).[/QUOTE]

Well if you're referring to DDR X, it's already slated for a PS2 release over in Japan. Considering Konami's hesitance to move any of their Bemani games to the PS3, I wouldn't expect to see DDR on there for a while.

I have a PS3 so technically my PS2 is dead to me, but I am still buying plenty of PS2 games since I have a 60Gb model. Finally got around to picking up P4 and even the new Kingdom Hearts remake. As long as they continue to crank out JRPGs for the PS2, I will continue to buy them.

Just opened mine up, Buzz the Hollywood Quiz is quite wife-friendly. I'm excited to break out my PS1 games as well. Turns out my Castlevania SotN is a Black Label, spotless copy. :)

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I could see it lasting until 2010 with some good games sprinkled amidst a bunch of really bad ones.[/quote]

Sounds kinda like the Wii... lol

Becaus the Library is so big and I'm still playing PS2 games, I'll say that it's far from being dead. The fact that it is the cheapest home console out there will keep it selling. When the big retailers like Target, Walmart or Best Buy stop carrying it, I'll agree that it's dead. Until then, no.

[quote name='rc18tbrushless']I say Sony should keep it as a more affordable system for kids.

I got my PSOne when I was around 6
Now who would want to buy a $300 PS3 for their 6 year old?[/QUOTE]

The same person who would spend a similar amount on an NES for their 6 year old. Thank you mom and dad. In fact, I think it was 17 years ago today that I got my NES.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well if you're referring to DDR X, it's already slated for a PS2 release over in Japan. Considering Konami's hesitance to move any of their Bemani games to the PS3, I wouldn't expect to see DDR on there for a while.[/QUOTE]I think it will happen, mostly because in 2007, the PS2 version of multi-platform games was outselling the PS3 version. This year, the sales have swapped for most all games (such as Madden, Gundam Musou 2, Guitar Hero: WT to an extent, etc.), so it really makes more sense to finally move it to PS3 next year.

However, I do NOT expect the majority of Bemani games to move over to PS3 if ever (more so Wii they'll move to). There's already a DDR on Wii (so that's why I'm saying DDR can easily move to PS3, since Konami has three separate teams on PS3), but I could see Konami finally move a DDR to PS3 next year (Also, PS3 games have performed very well for Konami, just look at MGS4 and Pro Evolution Soccer especially).

I COULD see Konami have KCES (makers of Wii DDR games) make the PS3 DDR games, while KCET (makers of PS2 DDR games) switch to Wii.
[quote name='AdvOfJet']I have a PS3 so technically my PS2 is dead to me, but I am still buying plenty of PS2 games since I have a 60Gb model. Finally got around to picking up P4 and even the new Kingdom Hearts remake. As long as they continue to crank out JRPGs for the PS2, I will continue to buy them.[/QUOTE]I was initially doing the same thing, but after my JRPGs started to collect dust on PS2 and get ignored, I decided to just forget about them and focus on my next gen consoles instead. So far it has been the right decision.

I think Wii will help keep PS2 alive since the hardware is more similar to each other than the PS2 to PS3so multiplatform games on Wii could be easily put on PS2 as well.

Sony should drop the price to $99 to increase sales but I still see the system supported until 2010 like Sony said it would be. I'm sure EA will support the system until the end just like they did with PS1 and XBox.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think it will happen, mostly because in 2007, the PS2 version of multi-platform games was outselling the PS3 version. This year, the sales have swapped for most all games (such as Madden, Gundam Musou 2, Guitar Hero: WT to an extent, etc.), so it really makes more sense to finally move it to PS3 next year.

However, I do NOT expect the majority of Bemani games to move over to PS3 if ever (more so Wii they'll move to). There's already a DDR on Wii (so that's why I'm saying DDR can easily move to PS3, since Konami has three separate teams on PS3), but I could see Konami finally move a DDR to PS3 next year (Also, PS3 games have performed very well for Konami, just look at MGS4 and Pro Evolution Soccer especially).

I COULD see Konami have KCES (makers of Wii DDR games) make the PS3 DDR games, while KCET (makers of PS2 DDR games) switch to Wii.
I was initially doing the same thing, but after my JRPGs started to collect dust on PS2 and get ignored, I decided to just forget about them and focus on my next gen consoles instead. So far it has been the right decision.[/QUOTE]

Well I'll definitely agree with you that I'd like to see Bemani games on the PS3. Yeah, I'd have to buy another controller, but Beatmania in HD would be pretty, and a great way to induce seizures.

Like others have said Sony would be nuts killing off their cash cow. On the flip side it keeps potential PS2 gamers from upgrading to the PS3 because of the selection of games and the price of both systems but Sony probably knows that.

I own a PS2 and PS3 and still do about 95% of my gaming on the PS2. :)

It's not dead yet, but it's dying. I actually just bought Tales of the Abyss and plan on getting Yakuza 2 soon. It still has life in it. Considering how long it has lasted, it's a testament to Sony's support of the system. I doubt the PS3 will be alive and kicking this long unless it suddenly becomes significantly cheaper to produce in two or three years when the next generation of systems is unveiled.

[quote name='62t']also the it is relatively easy to port games to and from PSP and Wii, and still havent drop the price to the magic $99[/quote]

Exactly however, at this point Sony needs to drop it more than 99$ I say 89 or even 79$, or 99$ with you choice of 2 free Greatest Hits games. 2 years ago I was hyped over the increasing rumor of 99$ now that time has passed, I would only want 1 for nostalgia of God of War 1/2, god hand still might not buy one at this point. But if Sony played everything right this could be a Wii competitor after you get past the gimmick of controls I never thought the Wii was really that far superior to the PS2. Even put an ad out that had the wii controller on one side and 2000 us release games on the other side (Include the fact ever good 3rd party wii game has/is ported to ps2). After owning a Wii from launch through 8 month after launch, I sold it and would tell anyone who can't afford a REAL current Gen console to get a PS2.

It still sold quite well this past Christmas shopping season, with 0 advertising. With the cost of the PS3 still seemingly high for Sony, I don't see how they could afford to drop the price on the money maker that is the PS2.

[quote name='Rodster']

I own a PS2 and PS3 and still do about 95% of my gaming on the PS2. :)[/QUOTE]

Same with me, I either am using my PS2 more (games that won't work on PS3 with special controllers) or playing PS2 games on my PS3, and rarely use it for PS3 games.

PS2 won't be dead for a long time (for me, at least). It has such an unbelievably massive library of games. I still stumble across PS2 games that I've never even heard of.

Last-gen's library of games is still very alluring to me. I love current-gen games, but none of the current-gen consoles seem to have a massive list of must play games like last-gen consoles do. I don't feel like they ever will, either.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']PS2 won't be dead for a long time (for me, at least). It has such an unbelievably massive library of games. I still stumble across PS2 games that I've never even heard of.

Last-gen's library of games is still very alluring to me. I love current-gen games, but none of the current-gen consoles seem to have a massive list of must play games like last-gen consoles do. I don't feel like they ever will, either.[/quote]

I'm with you, I finally got a PS2 and wish I did several years ago. (Already have a DC, Xbox, and Gamecube)

Most of the 7th gen games seem to be very fad like, with the exception of Halo 3 and GTA4. Outside of some better online play and better graphics, neither the PS3 or 360 have really shown me any compelling reason to pay the premium over what the 6th gen offers me.

Others seem to agree, as I read the following off of Dailytech:

"The PlayStation 2 was the most played home video game console of 2008 according to a Nielsen study of trends among Americans. The results of the study were compiled into several top 10 rankings. For video game consoles, Nielsen calculated the usage minutes of all consoles found in the home as a percentage and the PlayStation 2 came out on top at 31.7%.

The Xbox 360 was a distant second at 17.2%, the Nintendo Wii was third at 13.4%, the original Xbox was 9.7% and the PlayStation 3 was at 7.3%. The Nintendo GameCube made the list at 4.6% and the remaining amount was grouped in to the “Other” category and accounted for 16.2%."

[quote name='mercilessming']Exactly however, at this point Sony needs to drop it more than 99$ I say 89 or even 79$, or 99$ with you choice of 2 free Greatest Hits games. 2 years ago I was hyped over the increasing rumor of 99$ now that time has passed, I would only want 1 for nostalgia of God of War 1/2, god hand still might not buy one at this point. But if Sony played everything right this could be a Wii competitor after you get past the gimmick of controls I never thought the Wii was really that far superior to the PS2. Even put an ad out that had the wii controller on one side and 2000 us release games on the other side (Include the fact ever good 3rd party wii game has/is ported to ps2). After owning a Wii from launch through 8 month after launch, I sold it and would tell anyone who can't afford a REAL current Gen console to get a PS2.[/QUOTE]PS2 will never drop below $99, since that's about what it costs Sony to produce it (or a little less).

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Same with me, I either am using my PS2 more (games that won't work on PS3 with special controllers) or playing PS2 games on my PS3, and rarely use it for PS3 games.[/QUOTE]I'm the opposite, where I never use my PS2 BC on my PS3 (or play anymore PS2 games).

After completing Marvel Ultimate Alliance I have finally lost interest in PS2 games. A shame too because I was halfway thru Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

I'm currently taking a break from games, but plan on picking up a PS3 when the gaming bug bites me again.

bread's done
Back