http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz0PvYiHjwE
New to Portal 2 (click spoiler for video)​

Repulsion Gel​
Propulsion Gel​
Excursion Funnel​

Thermal Discouragement Beam​

Aerial Faith Plate​

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to get this for 360, but $60 seems like an awful lot of money for it. I'll probably wait for it to get down to $20. Used is fine. I just can't see spending 3 times that for it.

This is one of my most wanted games this year, but knowing the PS3(which I don't have) is getting lots of more content, its hard for me to buy it.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']fail[/QUOTE]

Why? There are many better games and none of them have the potential to come with Steam. If the PS3 version is clean I might think about it, but there's still better stuff to play. It's one of those games to get when it's $20, ya know?

When it gets cheaper I'll get it. Its annoying that Portal went from being in the Orange Box with two other great games (Portal, Half Life 2, TF 2) to being a stand alone game.

That's how shoddy marketing works. I hear the PS3 OBox is pitiful so they bait you with extras. Now the PS3 gets some sort of mega edition and they'll charge full price for one. Lol, it sounds like EA or Activision have a hand in this.

[quote name='theredworm']This is one of the only games of 2011 that I'm really excited about.[/QUOTE]There are A LOT of games I'm excited about in 2011 (L.A. Noire, Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Last Guardian, inFAMOUS 2, Mass Effect 3 spring instantly to mind), but Portal 2 is at the top of my personal list. Day One for me without question.

[quote name='slickkill77']When it gets cheaper I'll get it. Its annoying that Portal went from being in the Orange Box with two other great games (Portal, Half Life 2, TF 2) to being a stand alone game.[/QUOTE]I can understand this point of view, but I don't see it that way. To me, Orange Box was an anomoly; the most ridiculous videogame value ever. Something with that much great content in one box is not likely to ever come along again. The original Portal is still one of my favorite gaming experiences of this generation, so I'm psyched it will be a full-sized stand alone game. I can't wait.

For those complaining about it being a 60 dollar stand alone game, fear not!!!

This is a full-fledged game now, not a short 2 hour deal. I'm sure Valve will make it well worth the $60 price tag.

I for one am looking forward to this VERY MUCH. I haven't been so excited about a game in a looong time.

When I first saw a Portal trailer during E3 I was ready to buy that for $60 before I even heard of Orange Box. After playing it I was happy with my $60 Orange Box purchase, the other games were just the icing on the cake.

[quote name='theredworm']This is one of the only games of 2011 that I'm really excited about.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Last year was so mediocre for me my expectations of this year's supposed 'blockbusters' are extremely low. I honestly doubt Portal 2 can do anything but raise them.

[quote name='patches48']For those complaining about it being a 60 dollar stand alone game, fear not!!!

This is a full-fledged game now, not a short 2 hour deal. I'm sure Valve will make it well worth the $60 price tag.

I for one am looking forward to this VERY MUCH. I haven't been so excited about a game in a looong time.[/QUOTE]

I loved Portal, but truth be told, I'm not sure it's a concept that makes for a 12 hour game. Well, really it's that I've yet to finish any "full length" game. I tend to get bored with them and/or diverted onto other games, long before they are over. Yes, including Red Dead Redemption. Closest I've come to completing a disc-based game is Metroid Other M for Wii. I suspect I'd be a lot happier with a $10/$15, 2 hour or so, download game sequel.

[quote name='LottaGames']That's how shoddy marketing works. I hear the PS3 OBox is pitiful so they bait you with extras. Now the PS3 gets some sort of mega edition and they'll charge full price for one. Lol, it sounds like EA or Activision have a hand in this.[/QUOTE]
please insert disc 2

The co-op should definitely boost the replay value even if it's not something you'll revisit too often as it's always fun introducing such games to other friends.

I pretty much planned on getting this anyway, but avatar awards turned this into an insta-purchase. That companion cube prop is just too cool.

I was planning on buying it for PS3 since it came with a Steam copy... but I really want those Avatar Awards and will be missing out on co-op with my friends if I don't get it for 360. Also, I wish Amazon got some sort of pre-order item!

I have to have a companion cube. Thankfully it's not an impossible task required to get it.

[quote name='theredworm']http://kotaku.com/#!5781121

Valve is going to bridge the gap between portal 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]
Didn't think that was a gap that needed bridging...

But whatever they're planning sounds interesting, must be something big since they're all hush hush about it.

Maybe a comic like TF2 and L4D have been getting??

Or maybe some kind of PC stand alone short little "game demo" thing? Sort of like Dead Rising Case Zero, except probably PC only since I doubt they can slip that by MS or Sony. Almost positive it'll be some free thing, Valve tends to charge for stuff like this as little as possible.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/07/portal-2-comic-available-online-tomorrow/

Before Valve's new game comes out later this month, we thought we might interest you in a supplemental comic, Portal 2: Lab Rat. What, you'd prefer some crummy video game instead? Think about it. Would you rather (1) dirty your hands hands interacting to force the fun out of a disc or (2) just look at a screen and have the fun happen to you? When the first part debuts on IGN Comics tomorrow, the choice will be clear.

Besides, the comic has people like Powers co-author Michael Avon Oeming, and Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek working on it. Nobody at Valve could possibly compete with -- oh, really? All of them work there?

... Well, the comic's also free.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/116/1160119p1.html

Portal 2 is coming up quickly, and Valve has teamed with IGN Comics for the exclusive debut of the supplemental Portal 2 comic book, produced in-house by the company with the help of the co-creator of Powers and The Mice Templar, Michael Avon Oeming. With Oeming leading a team of talented creators like Andrea Wicklund, Ted Kosmatka, Erik Wolpaw, Jay Pinkerton, and Chet Faliszek, Valve has big plans for the world of Portal.

We had a chance to explore the comic book world of Portal 2 with Oeming, and we're excited to bring you your first look. Check back with IGN Comics on Friday for Part 1 of the Portal 2 comic!

IGN Comics: How did you get involved with the Portal 2 comic? I assume you're a big fan of the game?

Michael Avon Oeming:I came to work at Valve about two years ago. Until then I'd never played the game, but I fell in love with it right away. I came here wanting to learn more about the digital interface between comics and games and to work with and learn from the amazing talent here. We'd been working on comics for L4D and TF2 when Portal 2 began to develop. Andrea Wicklund is one of the artists here (She's also the hand of Left 4 Dead) who has always wanted to do comics, and she's worked on the design end of the actual game. She's done a fantastic job at painting her first full comic; it's like she's been doing it for years.

She handled the body of the story while I did the layouts and illustrated the flashback scenes in a contrasting, yet complimentary style. Ted Kosmatka did most of the writing. Early on, we all sat in a room with writers Marc Laidlaw, Chet Faliszek, Erik Wolpaw, Jay Pinkerton and team leader Josh Weir, and we pulled the story together in typical Valve collaborative style. Ted pushed forward from there and wrote his first comic script and really knocked it out of the ballpark. We've all been learning to letter together. It's a group effort, and I'm as proud of this as any comic I've ever done outside of Valve.

IGN Comics: Can you set up the comic's plot for us?

Michael Avon Oeming: All we want to say is that it fills the gap between the first and second game, while introducing a much-rumored yet never seen character. It's truly expanding the Portal world and narrative. I think we managed to touch on both the humor and subtle darkness of the game. Ted's never been known as a comedy writer, but there are some funny lines in there.

IGN Comics: Is Valve directly involved in the book?

Michael Avon Oeming: Yes. Absolutely. Valve did this. It's all being produced in-house. It's literally the same people who make the games making the comics. So we have access to all of the game attributes to use in the comics. Most game comics are done out-of-house, and most of those with little or no input from the game company, and that's why they often fall apart. There are few good ones out there though.

IGN Comics: Will the comic be detailing the background of Aperture Science at all?

Michael Avon Oeming: We won't find out GLaDOS's last name, but yes, we'll see a bit more behind the curtain. Not that we're saying there are curtains in Aperture, not officially anyway. But if there were, what would that mean?

IGN Comics: If the comic focuses on Chell, how do you plan on detailing and developing her character, considering she primarily acts as a vessel for the action in the games?

Michael Avon Oeming: She also makes a great vessel for comics! One of the best comics ever was Will Eisner's the Spirit, where he often didn't appear until the end of the story. The Spirit was a story telling device for other stories and characters, especially the city itself. Right now, Chell is more of a storytelling device, but maybe in the future, we can get to see more of her. I think Andrea's art is already doing that.

IGN Comics: Perhaps the most important question: is there cake involved?

Michael Avon Oeming: Actually yes, we hid the truth about cake pretty deep in the story. If anyone finds it, be sure to go out and have some fun, it means you have too much time on your hands!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.1up.com/news/portal-2-released-early
The Potato Fools Day alternate reality game promoting Portal 2 has been downright fascinating. All of the hard work being done to track down the details of Valve's ARG might just pay off this Friday, as it would appear Portal 2 could be released four days ahead of schedule.
The 13 indie games comprising the Potato Sack bundle on Steam have been updated with Portal-related content, but the ARG as a whole seems to have more of a payoff than these cool crossovers. Clues in the form of pictures were sent out to media members last week which were then put together to spell out a message. Mentioned in it was the phrase "my goal is to emancipate something else early" along with a hidden message of "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM." This is now being taken to mean that Portal 2 will be released not on April 19, as was planned, but at 9am Pacific on April 15, which is this Friday.

That might seem like a leap, but the developer of Bit.Trip Beat (one of the Potato Sack games) noted on its blog, "Heck, just by playing the games, you might even help to get Portal 2 released early..." It's still not definitive evidence that this Friday could be the new release date, but from the sound of it, playing through the new Portal content in the Potato Sack games will help to encourage the early release of Portal 2.

The game started pre-loading on Steam this week, so gamers can get ready now to play right at 9AM on Friday if truth-seekers are able to do what's necessary to facilitate Portal 2's early release. You can continue to follow developments of the ARG at the Potato Fools Day wiki or you can read through an in-character retelling of what's happened thus far here.

[quote name='theredworm']http://www.1up.com/news/portal-2-released-early[/QUOTE]

:shock: ........... :pray: ............... :whee:

CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT!

Sorry, I even annoyed myself a little there. But seriously, I can't wait. I wonder- if the early release thing is true, will that mean Amazon will be shipping their preorders out today to make release date delivery? Guess I'll be checking on my account at Amazon a few times today.

if it releases on steam maybe gamestop would let it go early, at least I hope they would I have this weekend off and would get to play it quite a bit if I got it

Is Steven Merchant one of the voices in the game? The voice in the Wheatley Update video sounds a lot like him.

EDIT: It appears so. Google is my friend.

I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game and got it on release day. I hope this game is as good as it looks.

Pre-ordered my game through Best Buy for $44 (sale). No in store pick up available any more so I have to wait for it to get shipped. Not happening...gonna go pick up a copy at BB today then return the one I get in the mail at BB using my receipt I get today.

That should work right???

So what's the word people? I know what the reviews are saying but I want straight talk from true CAGs!

Is it everything you imagined or what?

bread's done
Back