Portal 2 FREE DLC OUT NOW!

[quote name='chriscolbert']So what's the word people? I know what the reviews are saying but I want straight talk from true CAGs!

Is it everything you imagined or what?[/QUOTE]

Everything and more

I played a good 4 hours straight and think it is really good (I am guessing that I am at the midway point or a little further but don't really know). I breezed through most of the puzzles so far because the tactics are nearly the same as the first portal (towards the end they got more novel). However, the environment and the humor are really really good. You can tell that it is still the source engine sometimes, but they did a great job with polishing the environmental layouts and making things feel dynamic and alive. The characters are hilarious and provide some sort of commentary or quip very regularly so there is always some company in an otherwise isolated lab setting. Ultimately, a strong valve feel comes through and they are just masters at building a great story while providing interesting gameplay and epic worlds.

[quote name='faceturd']I played a good 4 hours straight and think it is really good (I am guessing that I am at the midway point or a little further but don't really know). I breezed through most of the puzzles so far because the tactics are nearly the same as the first portal (towards the end they got more novel). However, the environment and the humor are really really good. You can tell that it is still the source engine sometimes, but they did a great job with polishing the environmental layouts and making things feel dynamic and alive. The characters are hilarious and provide some sort of commentary or quip very regularly so there is always some company in an otherwise isolated lab setting. Ultimately, a strong valve feel comes through and they are just masters at building a great story while providing interesting gameplay and epic worlds.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. According to Steam I'm also about 4 hours in. So far nothing has been too difficult. Every time I've been stuck for a couple of minutes the solution is more, "duh, that was obvious," than it is, "whew, can't believe I made it through that." The difficulty is slowly ramping up though.

What sets this game apart is the writing and locations. I avoided as much talk of the game as possible and it's taken me to some places I did not expect, but that I've fallen in love with. They really nail the atmosphere. The characters are great and there's so much good dialogue. Valve put a lot of care into this and it shows.

I've played about 3 hours of single players and 4 hours co-op, the co-op with a friend is awesome because if one of you doesn't "get" the puzzle the other probably will. Had a lot of "aha" moments when my partner wasn't figuring the puzzle out then we switch perspectives and the other figures it out.

Also I have the gamestop skins and everyone I've played with didn't have them but Atlas and P-body had their gamestop rollcages on each time I've played co-op. I don't see an option yet to turn them off or change skin.

If I haven't played the first Portal is there anything major I'm missing starting with Portal 2? I know this isn't a story heavy game, but I know the first one does have some story to it. I wish I wouldn't have missed the sale or I would have bought Portal: Still Alive. Right now I'm thinking about getting the Orange Box.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']If I haven't played the first Portal is there anything major I'm missing starting with Portal 2? I know this isn't a story heavy game, but I know the first one does have some story to it. I wish I wouldn't have missed the sale or I would have bought Portal: Still Alive. Right now I'm thinking about getting the Orange Box.[/QUOTE]

It kind of IS a story heavy game.. the second one starts by directly following up on events from the first.. so yes, absolutely play the first. It's only like 3 or 4 hours long, if that.

grab the orange box for sure
the comic they put out last week really ties the two games together nicely

edit: just put a direct link to the portal 2 lab rat comic in the OP

My opinion will not be liked in this thread, but I'm going to go ahead and tell the truth about this game: IT fuckING SUCKS.

I am on Floor 6. Stuck in a hole. I can't shoot a blue portal, and the orange portal below me will not open. I can't Load last save, because it puts me right back in the same fucking hole.

It's bad enough that I hate games like this that don't tell you what you are supposed to be doing or where to go, but when you can't even move forward and have to restart the entire fucking game because of it, there is a major problem.

How in the hell does Valve get acclaimed for their level design when shit like this happens 6 levels into the damn game?

fuck this game, and fuck all the critics giving it perfect scores. This game is bullshit, plain and simple.

I can't tell if the internets are lying or not but I quickly searched and there may be a chapter select if you start a new game. If you really feel stuck, it might be worth a try.

[quote name='masked lemon']My opinion will not be liked in this thread, but I'm going to go ahead and tell the truth about this game: IT fuckING SUCKS.

I am on Floor 6. Stuck in a hole. I can't shoot a blue portal, and the orange portal below me will not open. I can't Load last save, because it puts me right back in the same fucking hole.

It's bad enough that I hate games like this that don't tell you what you are supposed to be doing or where to go, but when you can't even move forward and have to restart the entire fucking game because of it, there is a major problem.

How in the hell does Valve get acclaimed for their level design when shit like this happens 6 levels into the damn game?

fuck this game, and fuck all the critics giving it perfect scores. This game is bullshit, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6309202/p-7.html

Directly from GameSpot...

"Floor 6

After exiting the elevator, shoot a portal on the far wall over the chasm. Enter the building ahead and place your other portal on the wall to the left to gain passage to the far catwalk. After moving to the right, open the door and enter the main room. Shoot your blue portal on the floor just in front of you. Look above and place your orange portal above the catwalk. Move through your portals to reach the top and place your orange portal directly below the end of the catwalk. Drop into your portal so that you gain a good amount of speed. When you emerge from your blue portal, fire your orange portal on the left wall. When you drop back through your portals you'll be thrown safely to the offices above. Hit both gel control leavers and move through the open door on the left.

In the next large area place your blue portal above the stable section of the catwalk and your orange portal directly in front of the boarded up door. Head up to the top catwalk via your portals and place a new blue portal on the tilted wall on the right. Jump off the catwalk into your orange portal to reach the second floor of the Aperture building. Move over to the nest and tag GLaDOS. Unlike other objects you can freely fire your portal gun while carrying her. Exit back out to the main area and place your blue portal back above the catwalk. Step back into your orange portal at arrive at the top again. Face the wall behind you and place your blue portal as high as possible so that it aligns with the elevator. Jump back through your orange portal to sail through the air to the exit."

Like someone else mentioned, there's always a way out. If you're stuck, try giving us a detailed description of where you are in the floor. Maybe someone will be able to help you out. There's no reason to get frustrated for no reason!

My opinion of this game is that it is boring. I find the dialog annoying, not humorous. The story and atmosphere are not engaging. There is no intensity. Half way in it has not been challenging. I just don't get the hype.

I know I'm alone.

I actually got stuck on a auto save. When it loads it put me right in front of a turret. I had to load an old save.

[quote name='tranceFusion']My opinion of this game is that it is boring. I find the dialog annoying, not humorous. The story and atmosphere are not engaging. There is no intensity. Half way in it has not been challenging. I just don't get the hype.

I know I'm alone.[/QUOTE]

Did you not like the first Portal?

[quote name='62t']Did you not like the first Portal?[/QUOTE]

I'd bet they didn't, I don't see how if you liked the first one you wouldn't like p2. Also if you didn't like p1 you probably wouldn't buy/play p2.

I had to start from an old save. I guess it does 2 autosaves.

Where I was stuck is like this:

You are supposed to put a portal on the wall before going down into the pit. I didn't do that first, so I had no way out of the pit.

Also, that description is for a different level 6. I'm only on Chapter 2 now, after playing past that part for a little bit.

Apparently, there ISN'T always a way out.

finished p2 single player, still many things left to do for ach and gotta do the commentary too

and finish co-op

I love my new avatar prop

There's always a way out.

Beat the game today. Fantastic. The dialogue is so, so good.

The first 20 or so chambers were really, really easy, then it ramped up in a decent way. It was never too difficult, but there was more than one instance of me looking around for a few minutes and trying to figure out what to do.

The game is great so far, but I'm only in chapter 2. I loved the robot ball guy. Question - does coop have different levels, or are you just playing the same levels?

[quote name='crunchewy']The game is great so far, but I'm only in chapter 2. I loved the robot ball guy. Question - does coop have different levels, or are you just playing the same levels?[/QUOTE]

co-op is all totally different, the puzzles are all to make both of you do things

[quote name='theredworm']co-op is all totally different, the puzzles are all to make both of you do things[/QUOTE]

That's awesome then. I definitely need to convince my kids to play this game so I can play coop with them.

question, does the game come with some type of one use code or online pass that EA tends to implement to discourage buying used? I'm planning to buy the game new but am curious about this as I would potentially seek it in trade instead.

How would you guys rate the ending? Does it feel more complete than the first game? No ultra spoilers please because I doubt I could resist skimming.

Heh, don't think I was supposed to do that room the way I did, but it worked. For chapter 2,
room 08 (the last part before chapter 3). You have that disintegration field and that hole next to it. Instead of making portals to take the cube into that room to change the direction of the laser, I used the cube as a stepping stool and shot both portals through the hole to make the laser reach it's destination that way.

I just got to chapter 8 and man, the last couple of puzzles really melted my brain. I almost don't even know what I did to beat one puzzle because it was so disorienting that I didn't even know what direction I was trying to go for a while. But then, boom, game save.

Also, Wheatley is the best.

[quote name='masked lemon']I don't like the game much, but I am playing through it. I'd give it a 8/10, I guess.[/QUOTE]

You don't like it much but you give it an 8/10?

This game is fantastic, but while at first I thought it was fine for my kids (8 and 10), and pretty light, comedy-wise, now I'm thinking the game gets a bit dark/creepy. It's dark comedy, for sure, but that kind of humor probably doesn't come across as humor to a younger kid. Some kids would be fine with it and I'm not going to tell them they can't play it, but will let them know that they might find it scary later on. Myself, I love it.

[quote name='crunchewy']You don't like it much but you give it an 8/10?

This game is fantastic, but while at first I thought it was fine for my kids (8 and 10), and pretty light, comedy-wise, now I'm thinking the game gets a bit dark/creepy. It's dark comedy, for sure, but that kind of humor probably doesn't come across as humor to a younger kid. Some kids would be fine with it and I'm not going to tell them they can't play it, but will let them know that they might find it scary later on. Myself, I love it.[/QUOTE]

I still have no idea how this got E from ESBR

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']How would you guys rate the ending? Does it feel more complete than the first game? No ultra spoilers please because I doubt I could resist skimming.[/QUOTE]

It was majestic.

This game is so freaking funny with the banter honestly. I laughed so much. I'm up for Co-Op! Send me a request!

For people playing, when you get to the Spike trap, go back and just stand there and listen to Wheatley and GlaDos talk. I laughed so much.

Ohhh, Sorry Vulcan, I have the PS3 copy. I just post all over the place because the PS3 forums are usually less active than the 360 ones.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']How would you guys rate the ending? Does it feel more complete than the first game? No ultra spoilers please because I doubt I could resist skimming.[/QUOTE]
Just finished the campaign and it was freaking awesome. I am completely in love with the ending song. It's not necessarily as funny as "Still Alive" but it's more catchy and just a better song overall.

GLaDOS is now not only the best video game villain ever, GLaDOS in her potato form is one of the best friendly NPCs ever. :applause:

I feel pretty good about only needing to consult a walkthrough once, for the final test chamber in Chapter 8. :cool: And I had actually tried the correct solution once, but mistakenly concluded that it was impossible and I was missing something.

My relationship with Wheatley:
-lol Wheatley
-You are my best friend Wheatley
-You're not going to turn evil when I plug you in are you?
-fuck YOU WHEATLEY
-lol Wheatley
-I forgive you Wheatley

bread's done
Back