Portal 2 PS3/Xbox $55 + $20 Egift Card at Walmart.com

Submitted price to Amazon since I don't plan on picking up any nice flannel shirts with the $20 Wallyworld e-card.

I got credit to Amazon. And I've been waiting for a price like this. Hopefully, they match.

(Yes, this is yet another post hoping Amazon price matches)

Submitted a price match to amazon as well, and to think I was about to order from Gamestop for the skins so I would get some kind of bonus :p

Submitted a price match to amazon, originally pre-ordered it from there with the $5-credit but if they change it to $20-credit I know I won't be canceling it.

I was gonna cancel my preorder at Amazon because I didn't feel $50 was worth it for this game. But if they match Walmart's $25 discount, then I'll definitely keep my preorder.

[quote name='OregonDealz']Walmart is the devils store. Cmon amazon![/QUOTE]

The Devil in a powder blue suit spewing Scripture to family tree branch-entangled morons who throw their life savings at him while un/dimwittingly committing idolatry via Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck, yes.

F-U, Wal-Mart. Sticking with my Amazon preorder, rolling the dice on that. I'd like to think that Gabe and Valve would at least somewhat approve. (Not sure how the G-Man would feel, though.)

EDIT: I want to clarify: in no way, shape, or form is my vindictive here directed even slightly at the topic poster. To take a Benjamin Linus quote out of context, "A deal's a deal."

I'm having some doubts about the PS3 version of this game. It'll come with a VOUCHER for the PC version, right? It has to.

Then you connect your PSN and Steam account and it'll unlock the PC version.

Then if you decide to trade it in to Amazon, they won't be asking for the voucher, will they?

Also hoping for Amazon to match, used the 'lower price' feedback. Much more likely to use a credit at Amazon than I am at Wal-Mart.

Does anyone know how the copy for PC with the purchase of a PS3 copy is going to work? My PC cannot run Portal 2 so I want to try and split the cost with someone for it and they would get the PC version and I get the PS3 version. There are a # of ways this could work so I am wondering if anyone has any idea.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Does anyone know how the copy for PC with the purchase of a PS3 copy is going to work? My PC cannot run Portal 2 so I want to try and split the cost with someone for it and they would get the PC version and I get the PS3 version. There are a # of ways this could work so I am wondering if anyone has any idea.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed by Newell that user will be required to link their PSN to their Steam account. So essentially you can't to both playing at the same time online. It's wouldn't work out too well if you're considering splitting the game that way. though i suppose if you're fine with taking turns playing online.

Plus valve is planning on more release through the ps3-pc steam works cross platform.

Go sony!

[quote name='popaloo']Confirmed by Newell that user will be required to link their PSN to their Steam account. So essentially you can't to both playing at the same time online. It's wouldn't work out too well if you're considering splitting the game that way. though i suppose if you're fine with taking turns playing online.

Plus valve is planning on more release through the ps3-pc steam works cross platform.

Go sony![/QUOTE]

Well if I let him link his PSN to his steam account and then I get the game I should be able to play the single player no problem and I am sure they'll be selling online passes via PSN just like all the other games out there or at least I hope so.

I prefer to buy my games used to save money but will have to get Portal 2 new so I can have the PC version too. I'm assuming once a disk has been used to tie to a Steam account buying it used won't work.

The thing I am worried about with the Steam tie in is whether or not other profiles on my PS3 will be able to play Portal 2.

Im worried about the "Bonus* $20 eGift Card *One (1) per customer, limited time offer while supplies last, online only gift card.". Will they take down this offer after they run out of 20 dollar gift cards, or are some people going to get screwed?

I sent a PM to Amazon about this but I also submitted a question to their cust. service about my existing Portal 2 preorder. I got a standard "we don't offer gift card price matches" reply but they did give me a $10 promotional credit as a one-time exception.

I have this pre-ordered from best buy already because I had some expiring RZ certs. Do you think if I print this out and hang on to it until release, they will PM it??

Well it doesn't look like Amazon will be PM'ing. Just to be sure though, if I place the order on Walmart, does it immediately charge me or will they charge me when it ships? I'd like to have the option of cancelling in case Amazon does PM.

[quote name='popaloo']

Go sony![/QUOTE]

oh god

the possibilities are endless!

too-much-want1.jpg

[quote name='DieGo2SHAE']Well it doesn't look like Amazon will be PM'ing. Just to be sure though, if I place the order on Walmart, does it immediately charge me or will they charge me when it ships? I'd like to have the option of cancelling in case Amazon does PM.[/QUOTE]

You're charged when it ships. :)

any words on CE/LE/SE of any sort announced for portal yet?

or is Valve not known for releasing extras with their games?

[quote name='popaloo']any words on CE/LE/SE of any sort announced for portal yet?

or is Valve not known for releasing extras with their games?[/QUOTE]

Valve doesn't really do that, since the Valve store is where they want you to buy your goods. Not to say they wouldn't have some sort of TF2 crossover deal, but that's if you're on PC only. Even then it would be retroactive no matter when you pre-ordered.

I'm getting Portal 2 to play on the PC, but this Walmart deal will easily nudge me to get the PS3 version.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Well if I let him link his PSN to his steam account and then I get the game I should be able to play the single player no problem and I am sure they'll be selling online passes via PSN just like all the other games out there or at least I hope so.[/QUOTE]

UNLESS if the game requires you to be signed on to PSN like some of the Capcom PSN games.

Ugh, being the cheapass that I am I am hopeful amazon matches this game for the $20 promo, but I also do not need it on PC so I wish I could sell it even for $10-20.

I don't see how the PS3 copy and PC activation on Steam can be linked beyond not allowing you to play at the same time. Unless Steam and Sony have been coordinating something more advanced than what currently exists on the PS3, I just don't see how they could stop you from reselling the PS3 copy after you've activated it through Steam and downloaded a PC copy.

I can see someone who buys it used not having access to the PC copy, because it's already been registered, but as far as actually stopping you from playing the PC edition if you didn't still own the PS3 copy, how would they even be able to control that?

Now the other possibility, is that the PS3 copy requires a Steam account that can only link once per copy ... but the only other game on PS3 that does that is DC Universe and if Steam and Sony think they can pull that off, I will go out of my way to specifically avoid this game. If gamers fall for that, you'll end up paying $60 for a code and won't actually own any games anymore.

So it will be interesting to see how Valve handles this ...

[quote name='etcrane']I don't see how the PS3 copy and PC activation on Steam can be linked beyond not allowing you to play at the same time. Unless Steam and Sony have been coordinating something more advanced than what currently exists on the PS3, I just don't see how they could stop you from reselling the PS3 copy after you've activated it through Steam and downloaded a PC copy.

I can see someone who buys it used not having access to the PC copy, because it's already been registered, but as far as actually stopping you from playing the PC edition if you didn't still own the PS3 copy, how would they even be able to control that?

Now the other possibility, is that the PS3 copy requires a Steam account that can only link once per copy ... but the only other game on PS3 that does that is DC Universe and if Steam and Sony think they can pull that off, I will go out of my way to specifically avoid this game. If gamers fall for that, you'll end up paying $60 for a code and won't actually own any games anymore.

So it will be interesting to see how Valve handles this ...[/QUOTE]

Confused with your "won't actually own any games anymore" are you saying that because you're saying you won't be able to sell the game anymore?

When you buy a game for PS3, or most consoles, you have the ability to play whenever you want and eventually sell it to another individual or give it to a friend if you're tired of it or need some cash.

This differs from PC gaming, which has become predominantly linked to accounts and has not only killed the resale market, but also causes users to have an extended rental rather than true ownership of a game in many cases. Not to derail the thread and get into the rental vs ownership debate, but it does differ considerably from the console model of game ownership.

I would avoid any console games that attempt to impose this sort of requirement, not just because it kills any resale value buy also because it's of absolutely no benefit to the customer and only benefits the company. EA is already pulling this crap in most of their console games, but they frame it as 'special benefits' you only get when you register.

However, as it becomes more of the standard, you will see a shift (most likely starting with EA) where suddenly online registration is required to play online or offline and there is no longer a carrot to get you to register your game, because it has become the standard.

Personally, I want to be able to play a product when I want, not requiring online,
not reliant on a system that may not exist in 10 years. And I want something I pay $60 for to have a resale value, not drop to zero when I open the plastic. Sure, it's not a big deal today, but imagine that in 20 years, EA goes out of business, the PS3 is a 2 generation old system and your games won't function because EA registration servers died with the company. Not a likely scenario, but a possibility if you have any sort of registration required to play (and don't have the promise of a company like Steam, which has said it will allow all games to be downloaded if they bite it ... not all companies are so consumer oriented.)

Food for thought ...

Well, it is kind of special benefits when it comes to online play. Online play isn't a simple P2P connection anymore like back in Doom and Marathon days and there is a server involved which = money. I'm not saying I like it, but I can understand them locking out online playability stuff. what i don't like is "unlocker" to extra content, mainly Capcom that does this. Data is already there on the game =/

[quote name='VaultDweller']amazon price match![/QUOTE]
I DO NOT SEE IT EITHER !!?? (Is it a joke or wish ??)

Here's how I'm currently imagining how this is going to go down...

Either in game or through an App, they're going to allow linking of PSN ID's with Steam ID's. Included with each copy of Portal 2 will be a code that "unlocks" P2 on Steam. On the PC version, this'll act as if you registered the game on Steam itself. On the PS3, in order to play online co-op or whatever, it'll require you to be logged onto steam. To play single-player, it won't. Point being, you sell your copy to someone else after unlocking the PC version, and the used copy would only be able to play single-player mode. They want to play online, they'd need to buy something in order to register on Steam.

Seeing how they treat the PC versions of Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2, I'm also thinking that any DLC will be free for people who have their copy registered.

If Steam was nice they would include a one time use code in the package that you register via Steam that unlocks Portal 2. It is still a one time use code tied to a Steam account and would allow people to trade-in/sell/share their PS3 copy. In a perfect world this is what would happen, but I feel like this would give customers more freedom then Steam/Sony want them to have.

My PC can't even run Portal 2. Damn. I have the first game on team. Actually, I downloaded Steam to get Portal 1 for free. I beat it long ago on The Orange Box for the 360. Tempted to get the PS3 version since I have Walmart credit and will basically be getting $20 of that credit back.

Oh goodness, what a shame it would be if Sony/Valve didn't let all you guys swindle them :roll: As if $35 net for what's going to be an awesome game isn't enough of a deal. Sometimes (nay, incredibly often) the people on this forum blow my mind.

[quote name='Ryan_gf']Oh goodness, what a shame it would be if Sony/Valve didn't let all you guys swindle them :roll: As if $35 net for what's going to be an awesome game isn't enough of a deal. Sometimes (nay, incredibly often) the people on this forum blow my mind.[/QUOTE]

Oh those poor poor companies. How could they ever see something like this coming?! And EVEN LET IT HAPPEN ANYWAY!?

[quote name='Ryan_gf']Oh goodness, what a shame it would be if Sony/Valve didn't let all you guys swindle them :roll: As if $35 net for what's going to be an awesome game isn't enough of a deal. Sometimes (nay, incredibly often) the people on this forum blow my mind.[/QUOTE]

You need to read up on the meaning of words my friend:
-Swindle?? I am not cheating the company out of any money. My computer cannot run Portal 2 so why not let someone else benefit from it if possible and also lower the over all cost for BOTH parties
-The first word of the website your on is Cheap and the third word is gamer. This is exactly with 99% of all users on this site are here for or at least SHOULD be here for so forgive me for fulfilling the reason I joined this site.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']You need to read up on the meaning of words my friend:
-Swindle?? I am not cheating the company out of any money. My computer cannot run Portal 2 so why not let someone else benefit from it if possible and also lower the over all cost for BOTH parties
-The first word of the website your on is Cheap and the third word is gamer. This is exactly with 99% of all users on this site are here for or at least SHOULD be here for so forgive me for fulfilling the reason I joined this site.[/QUOTE]

So what you're telling me is that purchasing a copy of Portal 2 for PS3, and then scalping the "free" Portal 2 voucher given to YOU to someone who wants it for PC in leiu of them purchasing the game themselves isn't costing Valve any money? :lol: I don't doubt that the EULA will explicitly say this isn't permissible. Maybe I should have just let the pages of people discussing if they will actually be able to get away with this speak for itself.

[quote name='Ryan_gf']So what you're telling me is that purchasing a copy of Portal 2 for PS3, and then scalping the "free" Portal 2 voucher given to YOU to someone who wants it for PC in leiu of them purchasing the game themselves isn't costing Valve any money? :lol: I don't doubt that the EULA will explicitly say this isn't permissible. Maybe I should have just let the pages of people discussing if they will actually be able to get away with this speak for itself.[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing as any other DLC that comes with games. Halo Reach LE, Dragon Age 2 SE, MvC3 CE. How is selling those codes any different then this? All of that stuff is sold by people all the time for a profit, don't get on a high horse because trust me you'll fall a lot farther.

[quote name='Ryan_gf']So what you're telling me is that purchasing a copy of Portal 2 for PS3, and then scalping the "free" Portal 2 voucher given to YOU to someone who wants it for PC in leiu of them purchasing the game themselves isn't costing Valve any money? :lol: I don't doubt that the EULA will explicitly say this isn't permissible. Maybe I should have just let the pages of people discussing if they will actually be able to get away with this speak for itself.[/QUOTE]

Eula isn't law, even if it prohibits the separation of the code and the disc that doesn't make it law. Eulas are FILLED with shit that would never stand up in court. If the code is packed in how is this any different than any of the map packs packed in with all kinds of new games? Valve fully expects the codes to be separated, they include it as an incentive to promote new game sales over used just like every other company that's ever done so.

And the fact that people are discussing whether or not this will be possible isn't proof of anything other than no one knows how the system will work yet.

bread's done
Back