Portal on Steam for PC/Mac FREE until September 20th!

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Portal (the original) is FREE for everyone until September 20th as a way to advertise Valve's "Learn With Portals" program. To get the game and get more information visit the website here:
http://www.learnwithportals.com/

Intrigue. Engage. Inspire.

When we heard the buzz surrounding the new role video games are playing in education, we had to throw our hat in the ring. Today, innovative educators are finding ways to incorporate Portal™ and Portal 2 into their classrooms—helping teach physics and critical-thinking skills. It’s eye-opening to see how video games can be used in amazing and unexpected ways to help educate our next generation.
One of the biggest challenges in teaching science, technology, engineering, and math is capturing the students’ imaginations long enough for them to see all of the possibilities that lie ahead.
Using interactive tools like the Portal series to draw them in makes physics, math, logic, spatial reasoning, probability, and problem-solving interesting, cool, and fun which gets us one step closer to our goal—engaged, thoughtful kids!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Well its a huge Steam thread containing all the Steam related deals, sounds appropriate to me. If we posted individual threads for steam related deals this website might as well change the name to Cheap Steam Gamer. Master thread exists for this precise reason but if people want to post individual threads then go for it just dont be a dick when reminded of the main thread.[/QUOTE]

The original correcting post, while coming off as polite to you, obviously came off as antagonistic and ungrateful to others. For some reason people thinking being a dick to a dick is most sensible thing to do, thus the douchery.

Rules are here for a reason, it's when that reason is overlapped by another that "exceptions" are made. In this case it's that, "this deal is worthy of it's own thread."
I would think the critically acclaimed Portal being free would be in this category.

Again, thanks OP. Have been wanting to get this game for awhile and, seeing how it was only active for a few hours. Might not have noticed it otherwise.

Thanks! I just went to Steam and it asked me to install. I'm at work so I couldn't, but it did say it was registered to my account now. Can't wait to get home and download it.

I've actually never played through all of Portal. I played about an hour of it when I bought The Orange Box a few years ago, but that was it. I kept meaning to go back to it though, this year my ex stole my Xbox and my copy of The Orange Box. Beat Portal 2 though, so now it's time to finally beat the original one.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']Rules are here for a reason, it's when that reason is overlapped by another that "exceptions" are made. In this case it's that, "this deal is worthy of it's own thread."
I would think the critically acclaimed Portal being free would be in this category.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. This is Portal. A well known, critically acclaimed title. Stuff like should be ok to pluck from long running threads. This isn't some random game that has low appeal to everyone.

[quote name='gargus']We have a free section for free stuff, you know that right?
[/QUOTE]
But can't you guys use some discretion? You want one of the greatest games of all time to be buried in the free aka crap section that no one reads instead of letting fellow cags know about it for the limited time the deal is live?

It's pretty easy to argue that games should be exempt from the Free forum. 99% of the Free forum is shit like "Free pack of Eclipse gum by mail". I think hardly anyone goes there.

We should do away with the Free forum. Maybe then every "free" post in the deals section wouldn't be half a thread of people bitching. That or just merge the two, which seems to have already happened.

[quote name='Vegan']It's pretty easy to argue that games should be exempt from the Free forum. 99% of the Free forum is shit like "Free pack of Eclipse gum by mail". I think hardly anyone goes there.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, I hardly ever look at the free section just for that reason. Thanks for the heads up OP had this game on my wishlist for a while now. Grabbed it for me and my wife's account. So far so good on the download, we'll see if it gets pulled off our accounts.

i'm new to steam so i created a new account and then went to the install button for portal. however, under transactions in my account it says "learning with portals" instead of just the title "portal".

are you guys sure this is the full game and not just a demo or something?

ok, so i just created a steam account w/ the same username and email account that i use on psn. if i buy counterstrike or portal 2 on ps3, i should have no problem linking the two accounts, right? and this guarantees that i will have the same username on both steam and psn?

[quote name='joeyshadows']We should do away with the Free forum. Maybe then every "free" post in the deals section wouldn't be half a thread of people bitching. That or just merge the two, which seems to have already happened.[/QUOTE]

I agree, people need to stop bitching about free games. This is a special deal that deserves to be in the main deals forum as not as many people visit the free deals forum as often.

I wouldn't have seen this and probably would've missed out on deal if it wasn't here. Thanks OP.

I thought we reached consensus that the free forum is for stuff like contests, collection things (coke points and the like) and give-aways where you are either not guaranteed the items or are paying via opportunity costs, while the deals forum is okay for items that end up free in the retail space as something like this is equivalent to a 100% off discount.

I agree, this is a deal. ITs a product that is below MSRP by being free. And if it was anywhere else I wouldn't have seen it. Installing now. Thanks OP!

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']I have to agree, I hardly ever look at the free section just for that reason. Thanks for the heads up OP had this game on my wishlist for a while now. Grabbed it for me and my wife's account. So far so good on the download, we'll see if it gets pulled off our accounts.[/QUOTE]

We should also create a forum for people who are going to bitch about a post like this. That way those of us who appreciate the OP can show our gratitude, and those idiots can post their complaints all they want in their own section.

[quote name='joeyshadows']We should do away with the Free forum.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']I have to agree, I hardly ever look at the free section just for that reason.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vegan']I think hardly anyone goes there.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I visit the Free forum just as often as I visit the Deals section, because I don't want to miss anything I might be interested in. Gotta put the effort in if you don't want to miss out.

I added this to my Steam library when it hit the Free forum earlier.

[quote name='KaitouDark']I agree, people need to stop bitching about free games. This is a special deal that deserves to be in the main deals forum as not as many people visit the free deals forum as often.[/QUOTE]

The problem with posting this here is that it just perpetuates people's habit of ignoring the "free stuff" forum. That leads to the "I would have missed this deal" and "This belongs in the other forum" back-and-forth debate we have to endure every time.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Well its a huge Steam thread containing all the Steam related deals, sounds appropriate to me. If we posted individual threads for steam related deals this website might as well change the name to Cheap Steam Gamer. Master thread exists for this precise reason but if people want to post individual threads then go for it just dont be a dick when reminded of the main thread.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should actually click the link before launching into an argument defending it.

He linked the Contests and Free Stuff forum, not the Steam thread.

[quote name='eugaet']I disagree. I visit the Free forum just as often as I visit the Deals section, because I don't want to miss anything I might be interested in. Gotta put the effort in if you don't want to miss out.

I added this to my Steam library when it hit the Free forum earlier.[/QUOTE]

I don't like visiting the Free forum for this reason...
The random contests that clutter that forum. In example, second thread is "The Admiral's 2011 NFL Pool... blah blah blah." Seeing the good free stuff showing in the Deals thread, I appeciate since I don't have to filter through all that crap.

[quote name='topplehat']Does anyone really care if a deal is posted in both a "mega thread" and individually?[/QUOTE]

Apparently. Thanks for the heads up OP, queued it up before leaving for work this morning. Loves me some portal.

Will therefore get my 3rd copy of this game. I already own The Orange Box and Portal: Still Alive on the X360. The Steam version sill likely have some great add-ons and community mods and maps.

[quote name='Camre']If he did, I probably wouldn't have seen it, so hush. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

This. I really wish people would stop asking people to do this. I understand there is a free section. Most people don't check it.

Thanks OP. Good link.

Thanks for the tips everyone, updated the main page with information for why it's free and that it is valid until September 20th!

Anyone on steam feel free to add me @ RevolutionJ12 ! Always would love to have more friends on the service!

Have a great weekend and enjoy the game for those who are getting it for the first time!

I got mine!
I played it on Orange Box a few years ago.
I'm surprised it runs on my laptop.
This and Terraria are the only games I have on Steam.
Not much of a PC gamer, but I've been telling everyone I know about this.
Good stuff Valve.

question; if I download Portal from steam, would it stay in my account history and then I can download it whenever?

Cause right now I'm on a Laptop that I'm going to get rid of soon for a new computer.

[quote name='Camre']If he did, I probably wouldn't have seen it, so hush. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

It would've been vice-versa for me. That's why I suggested he post in Contests & Free Stuff forum.

Thankfully, someone did.

[quote name='Sanoguzman']question; if I download Portal from steam, would it stay in my account history and then I can download it whenever?

Cause right now I'm on a Laptop that I'm going to get rid of soon for a new computer.[/QUOTE]

It shows up in my account history/games list and I haven't installed it yet so my guess is yes it will stay.

[quote name='Sanoguzman']question; if I download Portal from steam, would it stay in my account history and then I can download it whenever?

Cause right now I'm on a Laptop that I'm going to get rid of soon for a new computer.[/QUOTE]
It has been on my account since it went free in May 2010 when Steam was released for Mac.

bread's done
Back