Possible Playstation Plus 12 month discount

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's called a differing opinion. Not everybody likes the idea of only having access to games while subscribed to a service.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Thrinn']Again, it's all personal preference.[/QUOTE]

So why are you in a thread whining about a deal that doesn't personally interest you? It's like me going into an Amazon or Best Buy thread and whining about how retail games are too expensive.

About the whole "rental" thing: most gamers seem to have a problem with the principle of the idea of not actually owning those games, and not really with the execution of it. Almost everyone who signs up for a year of Plus sees the value almost instantaneously and will continue to renew, therefore never losing access to their games.

Gamers always get their panties in a bunch over the principle of something.

For the hell of it I went into Target because it was next to a BB. I looked around and couldn't see any of the PS+ cards. I asked an employee in the section where they shold have been and he said. " I have never heard of PS+, are you talking about a network GC?" Target Sucks

[quote name='sTaTIx']So why are you in a thread whining about a deal that doesn't personally interest you? It's like me going into an Amazon or Best Buy thread and whining about how retail games are too expensive.[/QUOTE]
I was simply pointing out a counter point to that long rant that doc_j88 posted. As I said in my post I had considered it, but after seeing the games they released to download after my free months had ended I was glad I didn't since it was mostly stuff I owned already(inFamous 2, Just Cause 2) or would never care to bother with.

Couple that with my internet speed and that's another prime reason why I'd forgo getting a full year sub unless it was at that glitched/pricing error $15 price again for a couple of days.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I was simply pointing out a counter point to that long rant that doc_j88 posted. As I said in my post I had considered it, but after seeing the games they released to download after my free months had ended I was glad I didn't since it was mostly stuff I owned already(inFamous 2, Just Cause 2) or would never care to bother with.

Couple that with my internet speed and that's another prime reason why I'd forgo getting a full year sub unless it was at that glitched/pricing error $15 price again for a couple of days.[/QUOTE]

You only play like 2 games a year, of course you wouldn't be interested in Plus.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You only play like 2 games a year, of course you wouldn't be interested in Plus.[/QUOTE]
You just might be right.;) Although if I only play 2 games a year, then I guess I better stop gaming till January of 2013 cuz I finished both Dead Island and Inversion and I look to be on track to finish Shadows Of The Damned while playing dribs and drabs of Just Cause 2 and some other titles. I don't wanna break my streak of two games for the year.:razz:

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']For the hell of it I went into Target because it was next to a BB. I looked around and couldn't see any of the PS+ cards. I asked an employee in the section where they shold have been and he said. " I have never heard of PS+, are you talking about a network GC?" Target Sucks[/QUOTE]

They are usually with the XBL cards and other cards in the game area

[quote name='Barry Burton']the playstation plus argument always illustrates the hoarding problem many have here[/QUOTE]
Hoarding? Nah. I only keep games if they have minimal value for trade in, since I'm not gonna trade something in I paid $5 for for $2 or sometimes less. Otherwise everything I'm not playing goes to BB or in rare cases anymore Amazon or the one local place.

But for stuff they don't take like prior gen games then those I'll sit on forever, again unless they have real value. In which case then I'll dump those as quick as I can.:D

how has this thread not been moved, deleted, or closed? there was never.a deal in the first place, then it turns into a redundant debate on the merit of PS+

[quote name='4thHorseman']how has this thread not been moved, deleted, or closed? there was never.a deal in the first place, then it turns into a redundant debate on the merit of PS+[/QUOTE]

Maybe instead of upping the thread to the top of the deals forum, you could either ignore it or report it?

[quote name='ghettoqball']I'm glad this isn't a real deal. I just paid full price for a year of ps+ last week.[/QUOTE]

lol...and i'm glad the ps+ freebies aren't really free or i'd be missing out too. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hoarding? Nah. I only keep games if they have minimal value for trade in, since I'm not gonna trade something in I paid $5 for for $2 or sometimes less. Otherwise everything I'm not playing goes to BB or in rare cases anymore Amazon or the one local place.

But for stuff they don't take like prior gen games then those I'll sit on forever, again unless they have real value. In which case then I'll dump those as quick as I can.:D[/QUOTE]

I think he meant "Flipping" or "Hoard" to "flip"

People rarely buy games for personal enjoyment anymore just for profitable gain and "coming out ahead".

People don't like PS+ games not because they aren't good games but because they are digital and they cant stock up on them and sell the games for profit.

the hoarding/flipper mentality.

[quote name='doc_j88']I think he meant "Flipping" or "Hoard" to "flip"

People rarely buy games for personal enjoyment anymore just for profitable gain and "coming out ahead".

People don't like PS+ games not because they aren't good games but because they are digital and they cant stock up on them and sell the games for profit.

the hoarding/flipper mentality.[/QUOTE]
:lol: No. The reason I don't view it as a deal is because once I get done with the games I can't resell them if I get bored of them.

At least with my physical copies I can get rid of them and possibly make back as much as I paid for them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: No. The reason I don't view it as a deal is because once I get done with the games I can't resell them if I get bored of them.

At least with my physical copies I can get rid of them and possibly make back as much as I paid for them.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you say you don't really bother selling games back if you're only going to get $1-2 back for them? PS+ is about $4.17 a month and we're getting about three new games per month so you're buying/renting 3 games a month for $4.17.

But thus far the ones that have been 'free' aren't ones I'd play for the most part(only one I really beat during my 3-4 free months was Trine 2) or stuff that I've already played and have no interest in replaying.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But thus far the ones that have been 'free' aren't ones I'd play for the most part(only one I really beat during my 3-4 free months was Trine 2) or stuff that I've already played and have no interest in replaying.[/QUOTE]

You're not the typical CAG who buys any game because it's cheap (Inversion)? I figured for $1.39 a game, that would be the ideal situation for you to roll the dice.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're not the typical CAG who buys any game because it's cheap (Inversion)? I figured for $1.39 a game, that would be the ideal situation for you to roll the dice.[/QUOTE]
Actually I did buy both Inversion and Silent Hill Downpour when they were $19.99 each as DOTD's from BB. I finished Inversion, but SH: D had framerate issues that I just couldn't stand on PS3.

I ended up trading both back in for either even money or I made a nominal amount on the trade.

But to me the downloading would be one of the only things stopping me from getting the PS+ service.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']You're not the typical CAG who buys any game because it's cheap (Inversion)? I figured for $1.39 a game, that would be the ideal situation for you to roll the dice.[/QUOTE]

Hey, we don't all buy any game because it's...ooh, Hydlide for $1. In for 5!

I wouldn't compare Netflix to Plus obtained games.
Sony says they are yours to "keep" as long as you are a member
And you can bet your ass the would be attacked if they canceled the Plus service.

I can almost certainly predict Sony will make all of this work on the PS4.
We won't love trophy rankings and we won't love our games.

This is something different than a rental altogether my friends.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But thus far the ones that have been 'free' aren't ones I'd play for the most part(only one I really beat during my 3-4 free months was Trine 2) or stuff that I've already played and have no interest in replaying.[/QUOTE]

I was midly interested in Warhammer, but after playing a fair amount of it thanks to + I'm sold. That game is pretty awesome as a single-player game. The online didn't do anything for me, but the frenetic balance between mele and gun action is really well done.

[quote name='face02']I was midly interested in Warhammer, but after playing a fair amount of it thanks to + I'm sold. That game is pretty awesome as a single-player game. The online didn't do anything for me, but the frenetic balance between mele and gun action is really well done.[/QUOTE]
I'd say it's an above average game. There was not enough emphasis on cover though, which is HUGE in 40k

I honestly can't believe people don't see the value of PS+...yet happily pay $30-60 / yr for XBL.

Personally, I would love PS+ to have a Steam-esque business model on the "discounts". Every couple of months have 50-80% off sales. It's frustrating to see a game on steam for $2.50 and then on PSN it's still $14.99. You still can't argue though that a year of high quality free retail games is unbeatable.

I guarantee this PS+ subscription model is going to be the future of console gaming. "Subscribe & Rent" for $XX or buy your favorite games regardless, maybe with extra perks.

[quote name='KryllFood']I honestly can't believe people don't see the value of PS+...yet happily pay $30-60 / yr for XBL.

Personally, I would love PS+ to have a Steam-esque business model on the "discounts". Every couple of months have 50-80% off sales. It's frustrating to see a game on steam for $2.50 and then on PSN it's still $14.99. You still can't argue though that a year of high quality free retail games is unbeatable.

I guarantee this PS+ subscription model is going to be the future of console gaming. "Subscribe & Rent" for $XX or buy your favorite games regardless, maybe with extra perks.[/QUOTE]
If Google can expand their internet program to the East Coast and makes a decent connection affordable(see: $20 a month MAX), then PS+ might be a good option for me. But as of now, I would likely forgo buying the next Playstation system if they had only digital versions of games, since not everyone can download gigs of content in an hour or two.:whistle2:#

bread's done
Back