Post any really good obscure movies here

[quote name='bone_matrix']I second Suicide Kings. Great flick, lots of famous guys before you knew they were famouse.[/quote]

I can't believe I forgot that. One of the best bargain bin deals I have found.

Heres some other movies:
American History X
Donnie Brasco
Ghost World

[quote name='scargums']pi and cube are great...[/quote]
But under no circumstances should you ever watch Cube 2: Hypercube.

I haven't seen Amelie mentioned yet. Someone already beat me to Run Lola Run and Shaolin Soccer.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D
Dead Man
Hot Dog the Movie
Dolemite
Leprechaun in the hood
Rock 'n' Roll High School
Brazil

I could go on and on... but theese are the ones that stick out in my mind atm.

My Sassy Girl, its a korean romantic comedy, excellent.

from the yesasia.com description:

Based on a series of real-life incidents published on the Internet written by Kim Ho-sik, the 2001 Korean romantic comedy "My Sassy Girl" (a.k.a "Yupki Girl") directed by Gwak Jae-young has made a sensation when it was played in many of the Asian markets receiving enormously positive responses.

Kyun Woo (Cha Tae Hyun) is a kind-hearted but at times naïve college student who seems to keep getting into trouble. On his way home one night, he encounters a beautiful but completely smashed young woman (Jeon Ji Hyun) who causes a scene in the subway, calls him "honey," and then passes out. With the eyes of the other subway passengers upon him, he has little choice but to take responsibility for her. Thus begins his relationship with the at-times charming, at-times violent damsel who steals his heart.

It's not a region 1 disc but there are ways around that...

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002857345/code-k/section-videos/

I thouroughly enjoyed City of God.
It was very sad to see so many of the Tribe die so young. Some parts were so graphic,... I thought it was a documentary.
Awesome work!!

Here are some of my obscure picks.

Intstitute Benjamenta
Naked Lunch
The Emerald Forest
Troma Zombie 3-pack"*"
Shogun Assassin
Fantastic Planet
Logan's Run
What Dreams May Come,......one of the best films NEVER recognized!!!
The Guyver 1+2"*"
Dead Alive
Parents
Empire of the Sun

Those are some MUST own's!!! Except for the one's with an "*"

Oh........... I forgot the anime.

Cat Soup
FLCL
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
Twelve Kingdoms

Not really obscure, but some of the stranger titles. Except 12 Kingdoms.
No one is into it,.......and it is THE BEST series in a LONG TIME!!!

:)

Snake Eater
Snake Eater 2: Drug Buster
Snake Eater 3: His Law
Street Fighter (not the shitty videogame movie)
The Return fo the Street Fighter

Ok, add these to the list..

THE KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE - bar none, the greatest comedy ever

Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - the greatest classic
comedy movie ever. Stars, like, everyone from the 50's and early 60's. Humor is tame by todays standards, but its still a flat-out great movie.

Hardware Wars - shorts by Ernie Fossilus...they used to play these between movies on HBO in the early 1980's. You'll Laugh, You'll Cry, You'll Kiss 3 bucks goodbye!

More Cinema Obscura:
DUNE - David Lynch + ultra deep book content = one bizarro film that ranks as my favorite SciFi Film of all time. Definately unlike anything else, in a good way.

Phantasm II - The coolest of the Phantasm series, STILL not available on DVD Region 1, heard the Region 2 version sucks @ss.

Evil Dead - true horror on a budget, Evil Dead II - Even BETTER :)

The Avenging Disco Godfather - Rudy Ray Moore ISNT Dolemite....but he's still as ridiculous!

Damnation Alley - Also not available on DVD....cheezy effects but a cool plot premise will take you back to the late 1970's like nobodys business.

The Final Option - Also...not on DVD.....cool 1980 synth soundtrack, watch as evil anti-nuke terrorists take over an embassy. Wait the entire movie for the last 5 minutes, where the SAS storm the embassy and everyone dies! WOOOOO HOOO!

I could go on and on and on and on.....

Oh, and recently released on DVD: fFolkes, starring Roger Moore. Very cool movie about terrorists trying to blow up oil rigs. A great rainy saturday afternoon movie......for when Spongebob or Venture Brothers aren't on.

For animation, check out "The Tune"

http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=1036850

Entire movie was hand drawn by Bill Plympton. Haven't seen it for awhile, but loved the animation & music.

A good older thriller-type movie is "Dead Again" with Kenneth Branagh & Emma Thompson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101669/

Finally, for an all out weird and disturbing movie, look into "Happiness"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/

It was described as "emotionally gory" and I'd say that's about right.

Battle Royale - Japanese film - A bunch of 9th graders are put on an island and told they have 3 days to kill each other - last one standing gets to go home - if more than one left all die.

My Little Eye - Cool slow moving movie about a bunch of ppl in a house in the middle of nowhere with web cams throughout the house. If they stay there for I think it was six months they get a million dollars

Folks, box office failures that have been allowed to languish out of print are not quite the same thing as obcure. If it had national TV advertising and showed on more than 1,000 screens, that ain't obscure.

My own pick for a movie that played on very few screens in the US and has no DVD release:
Cemetary Man
http://imdb.com/title/tt0109592/?fr...hcnkgTUFufGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1

On the surface this appears to be an Italian zombie movie with soe gratuitous nudity from the stunning Anna Falchi but the zombies are just the groundwork for the real horror pervading the protagonist's life. It almost defies description.

[quote name='HeadRusch']

Damnation Alley - Also not available on DVD....cheezy effects but a cool plot premise will take you back to the late 1970's like nobodys business.

[/quote]

A big reason to watch Damnation Alley, besides seeing how they trashed Roger Zelazny's novel in which the lead character corresponding to Jan Micheal vincent in the movie is the last living Hell's Angel after WWIII, is for the Landmasters. Also known as the Paperboy 2000 to 'Get A Life' fans, this George Barris custom design was awesome. The survivng unit can still be seen when driving South on the 101 Freeway through Hollywood.

I don;t think anyone else mentioned this yet, but one of my all-time favorites:

12 Monkeys (Bruce Willis, directed by Terry Gilliam) fantastic, mind-blowing flick with a great ending

[quote name='Birbo']For animation, check out "The Tune"

http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=1036850

Entire movie was hand drawn by Bill Plympton. Haven't seen it for awhile, but loved the animation & music.

A good older thriller-type movie is "Dead Again" with Kenneth Branagh & Emma Thompson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101669/

Finally, for an all out weird and disturbing movie, look into "Happiness"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0147612/

It was described as "emotionally gory" and I'd say that's about right.[/quote]

Hey dude, thanks for the linkage. Im a huge bill plympton fan, that guy is a workaholic. I assume youve seen "i married a strange person"? Happiness is good too, although I always hear it reffered to as a comedy, but its one of the most disturbing movies ive ever seen. And ive seen faces of death. (but i did like happiness)

[quote name='snotknocker'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']Blood Sucking Freaks[/quote]

I saw this flick like 10 years ago it's totally sick[/quote]

Also known as "The Incredible Torture Show" or TITS for short.

I'm glad someone mentioned "Dead Alive" by pre-LOTR Peter Jackson. I would also add two other Peter Jackson flicks:

Bad Taste
Meet the Feebles

Bloodsucking Freaks is definitely disturbing. Loved the dartboard.
Cat Soup was great for being 'background', maybe while drunk, but I didnt' get into as a 'movie'.

Rock and Rule
would be my submission.
It is getting a DVD release this year, keep your eyes peeled.

[quote name='oracrest'] my contribution is "City of God"

If you like crime movies like godfather, or goodfellas, you would probably like this. Good characters, and some solid drama. Although it's subtitled, but definetly worth it. I know reading bothers a lot of people.

[/quote]

City of God was great. I definately would recomend to watch.
Also, Bus 174 it's a documentary on some Brazilian dude that takes some hostages on a bus.

[quote name='epobirs']Folks, box office failures that have been allowed to languish out of print are not quite the same thing as obcure. If it had national TV advertising and showed on more than 1,000 screens, that ain't obscure.

My own pick for a movie that played on very few screens in the US and has no DVD release:
Cemetary Man
http://imdb.com/title/tt0109592/?fr...hcnkgTUFufGh0bWw9MXxubT1vbg__;fc=1;ft=20;fm=1

On the surface this appears to be an Italian zombie movie with soe gratuitous nudity from the stunning Anna Falchi but the zombies are just the groundwork for the real horror pervading the protagonist's life. It almost defies description.[/quote]

I'll second this. I can't believe I forgot this one. It's a great movie. I have it on VHS (got it from a video store that was going out of business).
Hopefully, it'll make it to DVD soon.

This was a great idea for a topic

Death to Smoochy - This was a great movie, mentioned by a few people already. It was everything that a "dark comedy" should be.

Drop Dead Fred - A quirky comedy starring british comedian Rik Mayall, from the cult hit tv show the Young Ones. Mayall plays "Fred" the imaginary friend of Phoebe Cates.

Freaked - Another comedy actually... the reason this movie was so great is because Mr T played the bearded lady in it, while Keanu Reeves pranced about in a dog costume.

The Labyrinth - An early Jennifer Connelly film, starring David Bowie as well. Jim Henson's workshop made the puppets for this fantasy movie about a girl attempting to solve the Goblin King's Labyrinth and rescue her brother.

Return to Oz - A sequel of sorts to the Wizard of Oz, done about 50 years later.

Paulie - This one is about a Parrot that ventures out to try and find the little girl who once owned him as a pet. Cheech was in this movie for some reason too.

The Princess Bride - Great film, starring Cary Elwes, Fred Savage and Andre the Giant. Robin Wright (Jen-ay from Forrest Gump) makes her debut in this movie about a farmboy turned pirate searching for his lost love.

and I'll stop there.

theres an italian movie called MONSTER its hilarious, and non-stupid, its in subtitles, it was one of the funniet movies i have ever seen, def. check it out

Two I would like to add are Trainspotting and the other for anime is the Peacock King (I think this is its name since I don't really remmeber it.)

I would have to say anything that Kevin Smith has directed:
Dogma
Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

The only one I wouldn't lay a finger on would be Jersey Girl.

Almost forgot. Diggstown. One of the best con man movies ever with James Woods and Louis Gosset Jr. You'll cheer out loud at the end. I don't think it's out on DVD though.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='bob_the_goon']Almost forgot. Diggstown. One of the best con man movies ever with James Woods and Louis Gosset Jr. You'll cheer out loud at the end. I don't think it's out on DVD though.[/quote]

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MGD907990

I think it is.[/quote]

You may have just become my hero. At least for today. I gave up on it ever coming out because the VHS was out of print of a while.

Little Nemo: Adventures In Slumberland, sure everybody knows about the game but who has heard about the awesome movie? It was released back in 92 when Disney was in full swing so nobody really saw it x-p. You can find it on DVD for about $13 easily worth it,

Fist of Legend. An awesome remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury. Straight up hard core kung fu flick starring Jet Li before he became Hollywoodized. If you love ass kicking, you'll love this movie.

[quote name='bob_the_goon'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='bob_the_goon']Almost forgot. Diggstown. One of the best con man movies ever with James Woods and Louis Gosset Jr. You'll cheer out loud at the end. I don't think it's out on DVD though.[/quote]

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MGD907990

I think it is.[/quote]

You may have just become my hero. At least for today. I gave up on it ever coming out because the VHS was out of print of a while.[/quote]

I'm not certain, but I think my parents may have the laserdisc. It was either a purchase or a rental, I can't remember which.

OLDBOY, A TALE OF TWO SISTERS. BOTH KOREAN......BOTH VERY GOOD.
LOOK FOR THESE TO BE REMADE FOR THE US IN A FEW YEARS.

bread's done
Back