Post Your Lesser Known Freeware

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You mean Firefox bookmarks?[/QUOTE]

Yup, but I think Strell put up a program to do it. If you have any other advice or another program, I wouldn't seeing it as well :D

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yup, but I think Strell put up a program to do it. If you have any other advice or another program, I wouldn't seeing it as well :D[/QUOTE]

Just search for bookmarks.html in C:\Documents and Settings\ in XP

Right-click and copy it to your desktop. Burn to CD. Open Bookmarks Manager in Firefox on the other computer. Import from bookmarks.html file on CD.

I've made a thread like this in the past (I think it was called "Programs you can't live without") since I like to find small apps and utilities to enhance my computer. It got to the point where I've been keeping a folder specifically devoted to programs I've downloaded, which I periodically update and keep on CDs for future reference. Whenever I work on my computer or someone else's, I have them all available for quick reference, installation, and upating.

The big ones I use are (ripped from a text file I've written to keep them in order):

Adaware SE - Spyware/Malware/Adware scanner and remover

Adobe - PDF File Viewer

AF5 File Renamer - Allows you to rename files very quickly/easily - VERY useful, I can't measure the amount of time this program has saved me

Audiograbber - Music ripper - the best, easily. Couple it with the LAME codec and you can pop in a CD, have it database searched so the artist/album/track names are found, and then rip to MP3 within minutes. Allows you to archive incredibly quickly as well.

Azureus - BitTorrent Graphical Client (with BitTorrent installed)

Add TweakUI to XP CP - Adds TweakUI Powertoy to Control Panel

CDBurnerXP - Free burning program, a little slow but usable

CloneCD - Free (because discontinued) CD copying program

Continuum - Free online multiplayer game, think Asteroids meets deathmatch

Daemon Tools - Virtual CD drive for using CD images from hard drive

DivX - DivX codec file for DivX files

DoxBox - DOS Emulator, runs in Windows, allows execution of old games

Drempels - Killer free screensaver, although sometimes it fails to load (there is a fix for this, easily google-able)

Easy Cleaner - Program to find redundant files, clear history/temp, etc.

FavToHtml - Program that can save Favorites from IE into one single file

ImageResizer - Microsoft powertoy, Allows right clicking file resizing

iTunes - Downloadable music purchasing program

IZarc - Compressed files decompressor (.zip, .rar, etc.), free alternative to Winzip/Winrar

Logigamer - Allows MX1000 Logitech Mouse to be programmed for games

Logitech Setpoint - Allows Logitech Mouse to be programmer for applications

Microsoft Antispyware - Spyware scanner

Mp3Decode - Converts Mp3 files to WAV format

MP4 Player - Allows Windows Media Player to execute .mp4 movie files

MS Malicious Software Removal Tool - Removes blaster/sasser viruses

Nero - Best burning program ever created, and if you check dealnews.com frequently, you can usually score a copy of this for about 7 bucks, even with shipping

PC-Cillin Internet Security Suite (not free) - Well, you *can* get it for free if you send in MIRs, which is what I did. Absolutely the cleanest, best antivirus and firewall program I've ever used. (On computers that aren't mine, I use AVG)

Printscreen (by Gadwin) - Assigns "printscreen" key the ability to capture images

Quicktime Alt - Alternative to bloated Quicktime, plays .mov files

Real Player Alt - Alternative to bloated Realplayer, plays .ra files

ScummVM - Allows old Lucasarts games to be run inside Windows

Skype - Free chat program that uses internet connection to make phone calls

Snood - Game

Spybot - Spyware scanner

Spywareblaster - Preventative gaurd program, blocks spyware installation

Spywaregaurd - Scans computer in real time, gaurds from spyware installs

TCPOptimizer - Program to configure fastest internet connection possible

Trillian - Online instant messaging chat program (with Minibrowser plugin)

TweakUI - Allows various options in Windows to be manipulated

VDMSound - DOS Emulator for Windows

VideoLAN - Media player for several types of files

WinMerge - Compares text/document files, allows you to see differences

XnView - Views various image files

Looks like I'll be adding FlyakiteOSX, and I want to try some of the others mentioned in this thread.

[quote name='adamsappel']Great thread.

There's an iPod plug-in for Winamp that works very well. ZoneAlarm is a great firewall. AVG is a great anti-virus. I use MailWasher for stopping spam (get an earlier version, he disabled some of the functionality in the later, free versions).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ml_ipod plug-in. I was going to suggest that. I also suggest the aforementioned Avast anti-virus. It's nice having a virus program that doesn't consume 90% of my system resources.

mIRC - IRC Client
SmartFTP - FTP Client

[quote name='Fire']www.stationripper.com

A program I forgot to post initially. Really great radio station ripper and of course free.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I think I'm really going to like that program. Man I love this thread so far. THat one OpenOffice program is amazing, awesome, unbelievable. It's already gotten me and my friend out of a bind.

[quote name='Fire']www.stationripper.com

A program I forgot to post initially. Really great radio station ripper and of course free.[/QUOTE]

I remember using that program awhile back. I should try it again.

Ulitmate Boot CD It's a bootable cd that contains a ton of diagnostic tools and even includes a Linux environment. I used tool on it to fix my master boot record. That saved me from a reformat.

did anyone mention Picasa2 - i think it is far and away the best photo managing program and i wish they would give it an osx release!

- Psi - best IM-Client EVER (for me :D)
- iTunes with Multi-Plugin 2.2
- NiftyWindows - hard to explain
thinking.gif
, it makes things easy for me. :)

Can anyone recommend a free/shareware replacement for something like MacDrive, which allows you to read a Mac drive from a Windows PC? Google is getting me nowhere, but I have a feeling my search strings are too general.

I've been trying to ask about this on a few Mac forums, but my threads keep getting ignored. I can't bring myself to do the things that these Mac folks need to see (slobber in praise of RAM-hungry Tiger, offer hand job and firstborn to Steve Jobs) in order to reply to a post. Can anyone help?

[quote name='dothog']Can anyone recommend a free/shareware replacement for something like MacDrive, which allows you to read a Mac drive from a Windows PC? Google is getting me nowhere, but I have a feeling my search strings are too general.

I've been trying to ask about this on a few Mac forums, but my threads keep getting ignored. I can't bring myself to do the things that these Mac folks need to see (slobber in praise of RAM-hungry Tiger, offer hand job and firstborn to Steve Jobs) in order to reply to a post. Can anyone help?[/QUOTE]
I don't personally own a Mac, but this looks like it will do the trick.
http://www.asy.com/scrtm.htm
$64 for the registered version. :(

Search terms used in Google ' Read Mac discs' :lol:

[quote name='CappyCobra']
$64 for the registered version. :(
[/QUOTE]
This is the problem with Windows access to Mac-HD programs. The only ones I can find cost $50 or more. Boo.

[quote name='dothog']This is the problem with Windows access to Mac-HD programs. The only ones I can find cost $50 or more. Boo.[/QUOTE]
Here is an article you might be interested in. It's about secure remote access to Mac from Windows. It looks like all your doing is using PuTTy to login via ssh and then use TightVNC to access the desktop. I've never tried this, so I don't know to much about it. It will likely take a little work to get running, but that's usually how it is with free software. From what I read, the VNC software requires a server and a client. The server is the computer you're trying to access. I think the windows computer would use the TightVNC viewer to see the server, which would be the Mac. OSXvnc The people at TightVNC recommended this software in their documentation if you're going to be accessing a Mac. They don't have a Mac version at the moment. If you're accessing the Mac on a home network, you might not have to use PuTTy. I think the author of that article did that because he was going over the internet.

I'm not sure if that is what you wanted, but maybe someone else would be interested. Just remember to read through the documentation if you have problems. Most free software has pretty good documentation.

[quote name='erehwon']UXTheme Multi-Patcher Allows windows XP to use custom themes. Couple that with one of my favorite themes Blacked Out XP. More themes can be found on that site, deviantART.com. The firefox theme Black Japan goes well with that XP theme.[/QUOTE]

I need some help with running the multi patcher program So far I have DL'd the them and gone through the instructions in the read me, but it keeps giving me that the Multi-patcher has detected an Windows NT Setup file in c:\ and so it won't run and allow me to switch the theme. Anybody know what do or how to make this program work. I really don't like any of the themes provided in Windows XP.

[quote name='CappyCobra']CamStudio - Desktop Recording Software (for doing demos (Think Video Professor))
http://www.camstudio.org/[/QUOTE]
I haven't really checked out that program, but apparently that guy does another program called Podcast Autocue. I don't have a podcast, but it does display ebooks in a nice big font and lets you choose the scroll speed and whatnot. It'll work great for a presentation I've been working on, too, so thanks for the link.

EDIT: Fire, check this FAQ.

Found a great new piece of software the other day. It's called TuneXP, haven't looked through the thread to see if it was mentioned or not, but the thing is great. Basically it supes up and tunes your Windows so that it shutdown faster, start faster (by defragging and rearranging the boot files, etc.)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Found a great new piece of software the other day. It's called TuneXP, haven't looked through the thread to see if it was mentioned or not, but the thing is great. Basically it supes up and tunes your Windows so that it shutdown faster, start faster (by defragging and rearranging the boot files, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks goes out to the poster that helped me out with my woes with modifying the start bar.

And TuneXP is great. It's sped up my computer a ton.

[quote name='jimfoley16']I'm not sure how Rambooster works, do I just run it occasionally? Or is it constantly working in the background?[/QUOTE]
Usually you just run it in the background and set the bar where you want it, so if memory usage slips below that point, it'll optimize and free up some RAM for you. You could run it as an occasional/whenever you need it thing though (this is what I've been doing, as now I mostly use programs with low footprints).

Does anyone have an app to test your hard drives? I have a pc that keeps locking up and I suspect 1 of the hard drives is failing.

[quote name='Indiana']Does anyone have an app to test your hard drives? I have a pc that keeps locking up and I suspect 1 of the hard drives is failing.[/QUOTE]If you want to test your hard drive for data integrity, you should use the utility disc from the specific manufacturer. The boot CD from www.ultimatebootcd.com has hard drive utilites from all major hard drive makers which should scan and repair drives. It will also inform you if the drive needs to be RMA'd (at least Maxtor's utility does)

*EDIT* If you are overclocking your machine in any way, turn it off/down. The bus speed not being in spec will play havoc with your hard drives (some are more tolerant than others)

[quote name='erehwon']UXTheme Multi-Patcher Allows windows XP to use custom themes. Couple that with one of my favorite themes Blacked Out XP. More themes can be found on that site, deviantART.com. The firefox theme Black Japan goes well with that XP theme.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton... Blacked Out XP looks great, I really enjoy making my computer look unique :D I also ended up getting Luna Black 5 for Trillian to match it.

Does anyone know how to change the startup / shutdown screens?

[quote name='Roufuss']Thanks a ton... Blacked Out XP looks great, I really enjoy making my computer look unique :D I also ended up getting Luna Black 5 for Trillian to match it.

Does anyone know how to change the startup / shutdown screens?[/QUOTE]
If you want to change the boot screen, get BootSkin from Win Customize. If you want to change your logon menu, get LogonStudio from the same site. You can find logons from Deviant Art. You can also get bootskins and logons at both WinCustomize and Deviant Art. This is the login I'm currently using. The nice thing about that program is that it can randomly change the login screen everytime you reboot.

[quote name='erehwon']If you want to change the boot screen, get BootSkin from Win Customize. If you want to change your logon menu, get LogonStudio from the same site. You can find logons from Deviant Art. You can also get bootskins and logons at both WinCustomize and Deviant Art. This is the login I'm currently using. The nice thing about that program is that it can randomly change the login screen everytime you reboot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton... is there any way to change the shutdown screen?

[quote name='Roufuss']Thanks a ton... is there any way to change the shutdown screen?[/QUOTE]
I don't know. I've never really paid any attention to that, since my computer shuts down pretty fast.

DVD Decrypter if you can find a version of it (as in, a company acquired the license to it, but it's still easily available). Apparently DVDFab Decrypter is a very similar alternative. DVD Shrink is a nice program that will resize .vobs for you to fit on a DVD5 if necessary.

[quote name='Genocidal']DVD Decrypter if you can find a version of it (as in, a company acquired the license to it, but it's still easily available). Apparently DVDFab Decrypter is a very similar alternative. DVD Shrink is a nice program that will resize .vobs for you to fit on a DVD5 if necessary.[/quote]

DVD Decrypter is still being hosted through out the net. Filehippo.com has it I know as well as quite a few DVD rippers. The problem with DVD Decrypter is that I have never found a good Tutorial or FAQ for it so I'm not as proficient as I would like to be since I mainly want to rip some of the music DVDs that I have gotten that come with my CDs to my computer and than burn a VCD of it but the files are all .vob or I can't find teh ISO.

Wanted to bump the topic for an addition: http://ebcd.pcministry.com/

It's called EBCD - Emergency Boot CD. At work, a computer had an administrator password on it, but the user had forgotten it. It had been set to autologon, but when this got changed, we couldn't get back into the computer.

Went to my station and googled around, found the above. You download a small program (18 megs I think), extract it, then run a make-iso program. It creates an iso, which you then burn to a CD. Then just pop it into any computer and let it boot from there.

It creates a pre-OS Linux environment, useful for doing a variety of things. I used it to erase the Admin's password on the aforementioned computer, subsequently gaining access back into an otherwise completely locked down computer.

Granted, it is command line (no GUI), so you have to read what is on the screen to see what is up. But it was able to determine all the users on the first machine AND tell me how many attempts to login to each one had been tried, etc. Looks like the Admin account's pw actually got corrupted and had locked out any attempt, but this program was able to erase it and get me back to a blank slate.

I have since learned of a small option inside User Accounts that allows you to create a bootable floppy disk that can prevent forgotten passwords, which is a nice thing to have, except that most machines don't have A: drives anymore.

Anyway, EBCD is neat, I'll definitely be carrying copies around with me whenever I'm working on computers now.

Any reviews of Trillian Pro? Is it worth the $25?

It says it supports yahoo chatting, how about MSN and AIM?

Like to replace Yahelite. (people complain that I only use yahoo.)

Haven't seen this thread in a while. Some programs that i would add are JetStart, Autopatcher, and the Juice podcasting utility.

i use trillian pro, it's worth it if you have gmail people to talk to because you can use the jabber client.

i dunno, i don't really use any IM stuff that mutch, but i got Trillian pro for free so...

Anybody know of a good wma to mp3 converter that is free? I hear great things on DBPowerAmp, but alas it is not free.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i use trillian pro, it's worth it if you have gmail people to talk to because you can use the jabber client.

i dunno, i don't really use any IM stuff that mutch, but i got Trillian pro for free so...[/QUOTE]

Ya dirty dog! :drool:

bread's done
Back