Poster for sale @ $9.99 - Game Informer 30 Chracters who defined a decade.

Stuff like this is just glorified fan art. And I've never liked the idea of throwing together a bunch of disparate characters. I don't really get why that's cool.

I'm sure someone out there will want this, but I think that $10 could be better spent on a nice Bioshock litho from the Take 2 store or a Mass Effect one from Bioware's store.

[quote name='GUNNM']Even though DMC is the reason why GOW type games have come around dante is not on the poster. got it[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it DMC was not the first of those type of games, GOW just made them a huge success. Much like WoW is not the first MMORPG, its just the one that made people aware there was huge money to be made.

After looking at it some more, I really don't like it at all. The artwork could have been much nicer, and they're missing some characters and choosing some that don't deserve to be on there. I mean Elena Fisher? Really?

[quote name='clok1966']Hate to say it DMC was not the first of those type of games, GOW just made them a huge success. Much like WoW is not the first MMORPG, its just the one that made people aware there was huge money to be made.[/QUOTE]

DMC was a pretty popular franchise though and Dante deserves to be there moreso than many that are. The same with Max Payne

The Prince of Persia dude should be on there too. Sands of Time paved the way for many other great games after it. The list has too many modern characters while forgetting the ones we loved 10 years ago.

I hated that issue and article. They need to qualify the article by saying it's 30 characters that defined the decade emotionally. Much more iconic characters that defined the decade than some of the side characters they chose.

Yeah they're choices in rankings were absolutely terrible IMO. No matter how much you may hate Halo, you have to admit Master Chief is the most influential character of the 00's as without him, the XBox 1 becomes the newer version of the 3DO and there's no XBox 360 and no XBox Live.

I've got that magazine at my other job, and I could critique every single one from 1-30 on that list later. For the Sony fanboys, Sackboy not being on there at all and Kratos being that low is inexcusable also.

[quote name='ssjmichael']After looking at it some more, I really don't like it at all. The artwork could have been much nicer, and they're missing some characters and choosing some that don't deserve to be on there. I mean Elena Fisher? Really?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like to know why Elena Fisher, Bonnie MacFarlane, and the Illusive Man make the narrow 30-character cut when Nathan Drake, John Marston, and Commander Shepard would suffice.

If this were just a list of Game Informer's favorite characters of the past decade, then okay. But they say that these characters defined the decade. I'd like to know how Jimmy from Bully or Kaim from Lost Odyssey defined gaming in the 2000s. Both those games were enjoyable but I can't see how those characters were influential at all.

Is it just me, or did they completely leave out Mario, Sackboy and link? I would say that Galaxy's impact was pretty big, more so than having Bonnie/Elena/Illusive when they already had John/Drake/Shepherd. I do like the Phoenix Wright/Layton inclusion in the photo... but really?

I'd rather like to see each of the 30 characters on their own posters. Like a $10 Assassin's Creed themed poster, Kratos/God of War themed poster, Master Chief/Halo themed poster, etc.

[quote name='dyeknom']Is it just me, or did they completely leave out Mario, Sackboy and link? I would say that Galaxy's impact was pretty big, more so than having Bonnie/Elena/Illusive when they already had John/Drake/Shepherd. I do like the Phoenix Wright/Layton inclusion in the photo... but really?[/QUOTE]

Given that it's about the decade, I'm guessing GI limited their list to characters who premiered between 2000 - 2009 (or 2001-2010...too lazy to look up dates and such). Won't explain the lack of Sackboy though.

Really need to actually read the article to find out how some of these characters influenced anything at all. Some of their games might hold substantial meaning, or have been important for one reason or another, but not the characters themselves.

i can not even see the damn poster for some reason.

And i assume that the first link that just has 6 characters better not be the full poster cause i am already disagreeing here.
What the hell is Shephard doing there?

I realize that lists like this will never ever be agreed upon, but people, both in this thread and at Game Informer and this thread need to decide if they're ranking characters or the games they appeared in.

[quote name='cRodz']i can not even see the damn poster for some reason.

And i assume that the first link that just has 6 characters better not be the full poster cause i am already disagreeing here.
What the hell is Shephard doing there?[/QUOTE]

Turn off Adblock.

Wow, pretty cool i suppose. I have a hard enough time getting laid already, so putting this on my wall definitely wouldn't help. Pass.

Some characters should just not be on there.
And is it just me, or is Nico Bellic not on there?
I have to say that he's one of my favorite characters of this decade...

(Maybe he's the one behind Aaron...?)
I would've bought this if it had Nico Bellic...

[quote name='clok1966']Hate to say it DMC was not the first of those type of games, GOW just made them a huge success. Much like WoW is not the first MMORPG, its just the one that made people aware there was huge money to be made.[/QUOTE]

If not DMC what was? DMC pretty much defined 3d action games.

And Poster looks awesome. I'll get it.

Not many of those games defined the decade though. Most are recent games from the past few years that copied things from other games. Oh well though...

[quote name='kyrhon']Some characters should just not be on there.
And is it just me, or is Nico Bellic not on there?
I have to say that he's one of my favorite characters of this decade...

(Maybe he's the one behind Aaron...?)
I would've bought this if it had Nico Bellic...[/QUOTE]

He's on there (far right), right next to Tommy Vercetti (blue shirt).

[quote name='ssjmichael']he's on there (far right), right next to tommy vercetti (blue shirt).[/quote]

that... Is nico bellic? By the gods. What have they done.

[quote name='AteBit']Would have loved to see The Free man and Alyx Vance, instead they opted for Portal guess I'm ok with that...[/QUOTE]

Alyx Vance is to the left of Glados.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol wow, western bias much?[/QUOTE]

Both GameInformer and GameStop are based in the west, so it's not unexpected that they'd cater to their primary audience.

Would have been nice to see a Big Daddy/Little Sister (perhaps on his back or shoulders) on there too. Andrew Ryan is nice and all, but he's not the first character that comes to mind when I think of Bioshock.

[quote name='Cantatus']Alyx Vance is to the left of Glados.[/QUOTE]

Didn't recognize her at all. Some of the drawings aren't great...I dont recognize a few of the people.

Crap, the nerd rage in this thread is astounding. Debating which 30 characters "defined a decade"? It's one magazine's opinion in the form of a not-so-great poster. It's $10. get over it.

Having the King of All Cosmos in there is pretty cool, as Wright and Layton.

The Portal is nice, but urg I don't know if any of them defined the decade.

Mass Effect didn't need 2 people in there.

On the bright side I've played about 75% of the games they have there.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Would have been nice to see a Big Daddy/Little Sister (perhaps on his back or shoulders) on there too. Andrew Ryan is nice and all, but he's not the first character that comes to mind when I think of Bioshock.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree with that. It took me awhile to figure out who he was, while a big daddy would of been instant.

Big Daddy?
Frank West? - Come on! He's covered wars, ya know?
Prince of Persia?
any Nintendo character?

Props for having Jade in there from BG&E...at least I think that's supposed to be Jade. lol

[quote name='whoknows']Who's the guy supposed to be in front of Drake? Also the girl in blue next to him?[/QUOTE]

The woman in blue is Big Boss from Snake Eater. I think...
The guy in front of Drake is Tim, from Braid. I think...

The artwork just made it really difficult to really recognize any of the characters.

Nico Bellic is practically unrecognizable.

Here's a list of characters posted by someone at kotaku:

1-GLaDOS- Portal
2-John Marston- Read Dead Redemption)
3-Nathan Drake- The Uncharted Series
4-Master Chief- The Halo Series
5-Nikko Bellic- GTA IV
6-Alyx Vance- Half-Life2
7-Kratos- God of War Series
8-Andrew Ryan- Bioshock
9-Loghain Mac Tir- Dragon Age: Origins
10-Ezio Auditore da Firenze- AC Series
11-Ethan Mars- Heavy Rain