Power Gig: Rise of the Six String (game only) $8.99 new at Gamestop b & m

Thanks for the heads up.
breakingcustoms, you don't need the Powergig guitar, you can use a RB/GH cake on it. Which is why I will get it. It has a bad UI, bad graphics, everything. But there are some songs in there that are not in any other music games, so I will get it just to play them. And maybe download the Modest Mouse song.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']even if this is so cheap, dont you need that guitar to actually play it[/QUOTE]
*note that it doesn't use the standard rockband/Guitar Hero guitars.

[quote name='Amblix']*note that it doesn't use the standard rockband/Guitar Hero guitars.[/QUOTE]

It will use the Rock Band/GH guitars. Says so on the box.

Also, on the site it says it's $7.99 In-Store, so it's even cheaper. Dunno if it's still worth it, but cheap is good.

[quote name='Amblix']*note that it doesn't use the standard rockband/Guitar Hero guitars.[/QUOTE]
I was just looking up the Achievement List and apparently there is only one achievement that you need the Power Gig guitar for, so for Achievement Hunters out there who don't want to buy the branded guitar, with a Rock Band guitar you could still get 900 GS outta it.

No wonder the game didn't sell well if so many people believe this. Not saying it's a good game, but at least get your facts straight, people. Like EYEL1NER, I'm going to pick this up because they've got artists that nobody else has showed any interest in getting: Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, and Three Days Grace. Those artists alone are worth $9.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']Also, on the site it says it's $7.99 In-Store, so it's even cheaper. Dunno if it's still worth it, but cheap is good.[/QUOTE]

It's $7.99 used. $8.99 is the price for a "new" copy (I'm sure it will be gutted).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']No wonder the game didn't sell well if so many people believe this. Not saying it's a good game, but at least get your facts straight, people. Like EYEL1NER, I'm going to pick this up because they've got songs that nobody else has showed any interest in getting: Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, and Three Days Grace. Those artists alone are worth $9.

It's $7.99 used. $8.99 is the price for a "new" copy (I'm sure it will be gutted).[/QUOTE]
Well, I am a bit irritated that Dave Mathews and Eric Clapton backed this over Rock Band, claiming this would be better for musicians, and then Rock Band ends up having the exact same options. Not that I care about Pro Guitar in Rock Band, I play the games to have fun playing fake guitar, not learning to play real guitar, but they obviously backed the losing horse.
I am excited to play Layla in any rhythm game, so if this is my only option, then so be it.

And maybe if everyone who owns Power Gig and I, if we buy the Modest Mouse song that is up on Live, maybe Modest Mouse will take notice and let HMX have some more access to their music
yeah right, like 10 total sales including mine is going to persuade them to do.anything
Anyways, I told myself I wouldn't pay more than $5 for it, so I'm going to go tomorrow and pick this up, along with a Zombrex edition of DR2.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']No wonder the game didn't sell well if so many people believe this. Not saying it's a good game, but at least get your facts straight, people. Like EYEL1NER, I'm going to pick this up because they've got artists that nobody else has showed any interest in getting: Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, John Mayer, and Three Days Grace. Those artists alone are worth $9.

It's $7.99 used. $8.99 is the price for a "new" copy (I'm sure it will be gutted).[/QUOTE]
This game has THREE DAYS GRACE in it!? I wish there was a way to export songs from this game into Rock Band. Now I'm thinking I might pick up a copy... Arghhh! Why did you have to present me with new information that would force me to reevaluate my opinion on this game?!

[quote name='Drclaw411']gah.[/QUOTE]

oh stop being an asshole, imo the game is terrible, I only played it for 15 minutes and I wish i had those 15 minutes of my life back.

song list for those who are interested
Eric Clapton – Layla
Eric Clapton – Lay Down Sally
Eric Clapton – Let It Rain
Dave Matthews Band – Funny The Way It Is
Dave Matthews Band – Tripping Billies
Dave Matthews Band – Why I Am
Kid Rock – All Summer Long
Kid Rock – Rock ‘N’ Roll Jesus
Kid Rock – Son of Detroit
John Mayer – No Such Thing
Jane’s Addiction – Been Caught Stealing
No Doubt – Platinum Blonde Life
Ozzy Osbourne – A.V.H.
Queens of the Stone Age – You Think I Ain’t Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire
Smashing Pumpkins – Cherub Rock
Disturbed – The Night
Rage Against the Machine – Bombtrack
Stevie Ray Vaughan – Couldn’t Stand The Weather
Black Sabbath – The Devil Cried
Stone Temple Pilots – Plush
Living Colour – Cult of Personality
John Mayer – Who Do You Think I Was
Snow Patrol – Hands Open
Three Days Grace – Break
Paramore – Ignorance
Silversun Pickups – Substitution
The Offspring – You’re Gonna Go Far Kid
The Black Label Society – Retribution
Breaking Benjamin – Breath
The Tragically Hip – New Orleans Is Sinking
The Used – Blood on My Hands
Mastodon – Crack the Skye
A Perfect Circle – The Hollow
Buckcherry – Tired of You
Firewind – Head Up High
The Black Keys – Strange Times
Flyleaf – Again
Godsmack – Awake
Incubus – Wish You Were Here
Jet – She’s A Genius
The Hives – Tick Tick Boom
John Mayer – Crossroads
Bad Religion – I Want to Conquer the World
Korn – Hold On
The Academy Is… – His Girl Friday
Lacuna Coil – Spellbound
MuteMath – Chaos
New Found Glory – Listen to Your Friends
P.O.D. – Alive
Puddle of Mudd – Blurry
Rise Against – Paper Wings
Sick Puppies – You’re Going Down
The Donnas – Fall Behind Me
The Get Up Kids – Martyr Me
Idlewild – Reader and Writers
Surfer Blood – Swim
Channels – Chivaree
Superdrag – Aspartame
Envy on the Coast – Headfirst in the River
Damiera – Silvertongue
A Cursive Memory – Everything
The Hounds Below – She’s Alchemy
A Love Like PI – Innocent Man
The Willowz – I Know
I See Stars – Comfortably Confused
The Paris Riots – Hotel of Infidels
School Boy Humor – Camera Shy
So Many Dynamos – Artifacts of Sound
Taxpayer – When You When Young
The Fatal Flaw – Don’t Start Believing

Screw it, I'm a sucker for music games, heck I even played my $5 copy of Rock Revolution a few times. Hey its got a older Puddle of Mudd song on there, I'm in.

its not that bad, i got it sunday afternoon when I traded stuff into gamestop to get the 50% promotion they had going. Not the best in any right the graphics look like it might be down the lines of something like GH 2 but for $8 or $9 what do you expect your going to get? But the track list is really good and fun to play

This is one those "I'm not interested"-"It's eight bucks used"-"Hmmm, maybe I am" games. I gotta stop doing buying games like this. Gollum is winning again, though.

I might pick this up used. Gamespot still has the "one week if you hate it bring it back" thing. I love rhythm games but most of those songs that I really like are RB dlc at this point.
But hey, they get 10 points for having Firewind. That's a relatively unknown power metal band that has great guitar parts. Granted, I already HAVE that song on RBN, but...whatever?

Oddly $8 is usually the point where I break and purchase. The completionist in me just can't help but add to an already overblown guitar game collection.
I know it will be bad. I knew Rock Revolution was going to be bad.
WHY DO I WANT IT?!

I dunno. I enjoyed it more than Warriors of Rock.
At least this game wasn't brutally hard just for the sake of having brutally hard songs that weren't fun.
Was the story mode crap? Yeah. Did the totally vertical note highway make it harder to play? Yeah. Were there fun songs and a feeling that people who legitimately enjoyed the genre make the game? Indeed.
It's not a great game, but I still enjoyed it and I will gladly pick it back up for only $8.99.

(Originally won the band kit in a contest. Traded the game in for credit when I could still get $30 for it. Woo.)

[quote name='JoeCamNet']I dunno. I enjoyed it more than Warriors of Rock.
At least this game wasn't brutally hard just for the sake of having brutally hard songs that weren't fun.[/QUOTE]
What Warriors of Rock are you talking about?
WoR's only hard songs came at the end of the game, in the setlist with Megadeth in it. Which being the end-game songs, they should be hard.
I wouldn't say the songs are overcharted either, they've gotten better about that since GH3.

[quote name='bardockkun']That's $9 that can go to Rock Band DLC. That's how I look at this.[/QUOTE]

But there's no Reel Big Fish and Mighty Mighty Bosstones DLC for Rock Band.

[quote name='creatureofwar']But there's no Reel Big Fish and Mighty Mighty Bosstones DLC for Rock Band.[/QUOTE]

And the DLC for this game was all removed. Not a good sign.

[quote name='M3wThr33']And the DLC for this game was all removed. Not a good sign.[/QUOTE]
What?! Really?
That wasn't up for long at all...
Damn, I really really really wanted Dashboard.

[quote name='bardockkun']That's $9 that can go to Rock Band DLC. That's how I look at this.[/QUOTE]
Reading through this thread that's exactly what I was thinking, too. This game is crazy bad. I rarely feel regret after playing a game, but this game made is awful, everyone should just buy more DLC for RB.

[quote name='M3wThr33']And the DLC for this game was all removed. Not a good sign.[/QUOTE] I saw that, too! Happened too quick to not be a problem with how the game sold/reviewed.

With all said, I know I'll definitely pick up a Guitar bundle for it whenever they drop to $30 at GS.

The guitar bundle is now $89, and will probably keep falling. Even for a crappy guitar, it's approaching a good deal after one or two more drops.

[quote name='Peffse']Oddly $8 is usually the point where I break and purchase. The completionist in me just can't help but add to an already overblown guitar game collection.
I know it will be bad. I knew Rock Revolution was going to be bad.
WHY DO I WANT IT?![/QUOTE]
same reason you want rock revolution and same reason people want tony hawk ride.
1) to own a piece of horrible gaming history
2) gotta play a really bad game every now and then to appreciate the good ones

Seriously, who thought making this game was a good idea? "Hey, let's compete with rock band by releasing our own expensive peripheral!" (yes, I know you can play with RB/GH guitars, but clearly the point was their own "real" guitar).

This must have cost a fortune in licensing alone.

Welp, bought it at lunch for $9.something. No used copies at the store I went to, so had to go new. I'll post impressions later this evening, but Rock Revolution even entertained me a bit, so we'll see.

Even as someone who enjoyed Rock Revolution for what it was, Power Gig was really disappointing. There's no bass, and no online play. You can't deploy overdrive by tilting the guitar, and can't activate it on drums unless you attach a second pedal (you need to hit back/select). The game's on permanent no-fail mode, too, which makes the whole thing feel pointless to play.

(Achievement-wise, be warned there's at least four that require the dedicated guitar and drum controllers. Most of the rest are easy to get, though.)

Is it worth $9 to play Layla? Maybe. Mostly it just made me mad that I wasn't playing it in Rock Band instead.

As long as the setlist doesn't have any uninspired covers lurking there like Rock Revolution, I should be happy enough with this purchase.

Looking forward to the older Puddle of Mudd song, older Incubus song, other early 2000's hard rock songs, Clapton and a few others. Don't recognize any of the Dave Mathews Band songs, but I was never a big fan really.

[quote name='Shadowiii']But hey, they get 10 points for having Firewind. [/QUOTE]
Oh fuck, really?! :whee: I might have to go grab this thing!

I remember seeing the promo video with one of the developers while in a gamestop right before this was released.

The interviewer asked about if you could learn how to play guitar from the game... the developer was like...

No, but it will help build calluses....

It will build calluses... not a great way to market a game.

Well, after about two and a half hours playing this, I can say it is absolutely atrocious. That is even how I presented it when I bought it, because I had a feeling it would be terribad. The Gamestop clerk asked if I was going to get a Zombrex edition of Dead Rising 2 and I told him "Nah, I'll pass for now. But I will take this atrocious game right here."

I'm going to keep playing and get all the songs, get some more achievements, whatever, but it's just bad. I own some terrible games and most games I find for under $10.00, I buy, but this is one of the first times I have thought it wasn't worth it. Rock Revolution was leaps and bounds better than this game.

However, John Mayer's 'No Such Thing' and the song 'Swim' are pretty fun to play. Just wish they were in a competent game instead.

[quote name='Serialkilla']How's Layla? That's the only reason I'm considering grabbing this.[/QUOTE]
Haven't gotten to it yet. None of the Dave Mathews songs and only one Clapton song are unlocked at the beginning. I am looking forward to playing Layla though, that is one of the reasons I will soldier on through this abomination.

I bought it today. It's pretty wretched, but the song list actually isn't bad. Makes the game even more of a shame that such songs are wasted on a bad game. But for $8, it could be much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='EYEL1NER']Well, after about two and a half hours playing this, I can say it is absolutely atrocious. That is even how I presented it when I bought it, because I had a feeling it would be terribad. The Gamestop clerk asked if I was going to get a Zombrex edition of Dead Rising 2 and I told him "Nah, I'll pass for now. But I will take this atrocious game right here."

I'm going to keep playing and get all the songs, get some more achievements, whatever, but it's just bad. I own some terrible games and most games I find for under $10.00, I buy, but this is one of the first times I have thought it wasn't worth it. Rock Revolution was leaps and bounds better than this game.

However, John Mayer's 'No Such Thing' and the song 'Swim' are pretty fun to play. Just wish they were in a competent game instead.[/QUOTE]

This is all I needed to hear. Thanks!

[quote name='jling84']This is all I needed to hear. Thanks![/QUOTE]
For some reason I always thought that song was by Dave Mathews or someone. When I was scrolling through songs I heard it and thought, "Man, I like this song." Then came the "Whu-? John Mayer?"
Also, John's cover of Crossroads wasn't bad. It was charted pretty well, but the audio sounded a bit 'off.'

[quote name='EYEL1NER']For some reason I always thought that song was by Dave Mathews or someone. When I was scrolling through songs I heard it and thought, "Man, I like this song." Then came the "Whu-? John Mayer?"
Also, John's cover of Crossroads wasn't bad. It was charted pretty well, but the audio sounded a bit 'off.'[/QUOTE]

Yeah this song was from his first CD before he was really known. So good!

bread's done
Back