Power Rangers Legacy - From MMPR to Megaforce 98(!) DVD Set: $650

DNukem170

Banned
Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny cause its still available on the site.
Yeah, but it's probably an international buyer. Shout doesn't ship internationally.

Anyhow, I want to buy this set but don't know if I'll have the extra cash since it comes out around the holiday season. And I looked at their policy, and they will only take returns for store credit... I don't need $650 worth of credit at Shout, haha. Maybe I could put it on my paypal card, so if I don't want it, I'll transfer the money to my bank account and the card will get declined... Hmmm, haha.

R3DH3R0 Already mentioned the price a couple posts back, its $650, you could have checked the thread 1st though, but eh.

Or I could just ask here since its not posted on the sellers site and it takes 3 minutes to load ever 10 responses.

[quote name="R3DH3R0" post="11108389" timestamp="1380811234"]
If you add the set to your cart it shows the price. I don't really see this selling out, I mean eventually, but not anytime soon.[/quote]I didn't see an add to cart option. Maybe cause I'm on mobile.

Either way, this thing is not going to sell out anytime soon. Especially not at $650, and even more especially that it's not the Green Ranger.

Extras for the Season 8-12 set have surfaced. A feature on the Titanium Ranger, a feature on the Internet fandom, one featurette each for Lightspeed Rescue-Ninja Storm (not sure why DinoThunder was excluded), and the bonus stuff on the previous Ninja Storm and DinoThunder single DVDs.

Obviously, this will also be in the Legacy set.

Thanks, but I am content with MMPR to Lost Galaxy in that nifty little set they released. =/ I just lost interest in the show after that.

Mystic Force Box set is up for pre-order: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Rangers-Seasons-13--17/dp/B00HNGC5FC/

Also, Turbo Part 1: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Rangers-Turbo-Vol-1/dp/B00HNGC5HU/

On one hand, I want RPM ASAP. On the other, SPD and Jungle Fury are OK at best and Mystic Force/Operation Overdrive are really, really bad. But on the other hand...RPM is that good...
Wait at least 5 years for the standalone RPM sets? :lol:

...Part of me wishes I was joking. :cry:

But those will be in 2 parts...

And don't exaggerate. It will only be 2 years, not 5.
I haven't been following the release schedule for the individual parts, so it was a wild guess on my part. 2 years doesn't sound so bad, and I've heard such good things about RPM that I'm willing to give it a try.

RPM isn't perfect, but it does a lot of stuff right, feels way different from other seasons, and the only other season to mix drama and comedy so well is probably DinoThunder.

Well, the last season I fully watched and enjoyed was DinoThunder (SPD was...meh, and I just kind of fell out of love with the Power Rangers series at that point), so that will work out nicely. ;)

RPM is great. It features:

- Cyborgs
- Destruction of the world
- A sonic cannon using a violin.
- On-screen permanent death.
- A Scottish Power Ranger (played by a New Zealander)
- Several characters who are very psychologically screwed up if you don't take things at face value.
- An explanation for every PR standby trope.
- Rangers beating up mooks with a baby carriage with the baby still in it.
- An airship of death turned into a whale.
- The best shadow puppets ever.
- A character named Fresno Bob.
- The first ever Ranger to NOT get super karate powers upon morphing.
- Weaponized morphing explosions.

Question...as someone who enjoyed Power Rangers until the end of Lost Galaxy and fell from watching it after that point, are Dino Thunder and RPM recommended watches before the new season comes with all of its guest-star goodness?

Question...as someone who enjoyed Power Rangers until the end of Lost Galaxy and fell from watching it after that point, are Dino Thunder and RPM recommended watches before the new season comes with all of its guest-star goodness?
I'm not as huge of a Power Rangers nut as I was when I was a kid, but I did watch Dino Thunder (based solely on the return of Tommy to the series) and enjoyed it as a whole.

The only other "recent" PR series I've watched was Ninja Storm. All this RPM praise might change that, though.

Most agree that DinoThunder and RPM are easily the best Disney seasons.

DinoThunder has several story problems due to the original Sentai and the final battle is weak, but the main cast is one of he strongest and their interactions made them feel far more real than most of the other teenage cast. Tommy coming back is great at first and Fighting Spirit is awesome, but since the Black Ranger didn't do much in Abaranger, Tommy is usually forced to leave things to the other 3. Also, Jason David Frank disappears for about half the season.

RPM is basically Turbo done right. The original Sentai, like Carranger, was a goofy parody series. RPM turned that into a dark post-apocalyptic wasteland where the Rangers are defending the last free city. The first episode even feels so un-Power Rangers that when they morph it feels odd. However, there are several winks and lampshade hangings on standard PR tropes that people have been asking about like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSOrR76FU_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s95RCKRG2Zg

[quote name="ProphetZero" post="11415703" timestamp="1388825461"]Anyone acutally buying this has to be single, loaded, or a spouse that is going to hate them for a while lol.[/quote]

Or buying this FOR his wife...(exception to the rule am I?)

Sadly, neither season will be represented in Super Megaforce, as the only Disney-era Ranger returning is Casey, the Jungle Fury Red Ranger. Saban really does not like the Disney seasons.

Here's a little pro and con rundown of the Disney seasons:

Ninja Storm:
Pro: Unique concept, different costumes, some decent lampshade hanging, a different and nice Battilizer, anything and everything to do with Cam.
Con: The music is all kinds of bad, the extreme sports seem tacked on, emphasis on comedy over drama, Blake had no personality, most everything having to do with Sensei, Lothor, Lothor, and Lothor. Also, the Zords are pretty meh.

DinoThunder:
Pro: Strong cast, return of Tommy, great White Ranger costume, excellent villains, great theme and music, fun dialog, great team up episodes.
Cons: Ending is pretty meh, the main Ranger suits are bland, Jason David Frank missing for half the season, true introduction of civilian powers, the White Ranger storyline being bumbled near the end, Red Ranger Conner gets a million power ups.

SPD:
Pro: Good premise, decent villains, great mentor, nice suits, fun Zord battles, interesting character dynamics, A Squad.
Cons: Kalishspolions, a lot of background info is missing, the team up episodes sucked, pretty much anything and everything to do with Sam the Omega Ranger.

Mystic Force:
Pro: Good costumes, trying something different, Xander.
Con: Nick steals the show for no reason and is arguably the worst Red Ranger, the story concerns the secondary characters so much the Power Rangers feel like guest stars, doesn't keep the Sentai spells consistent, the horrible theme

Operation Overdrive:
Pro: the "Once a Ranger" 15th Anniversary special, the Ranger suits are nice, "Once a Ranger," the revelation about one of the Rangers, and "Once a Ranger.
Con: Everything else. Plus, the Black Ranger gained the wrath of the fanbase at the last Power Morphicon

Jungle Fury:
Pro: Good-to-great cast, strong characterization, excellent fights, good music
Con: Story is bland, costumes are meh, Fran never morphed

RPM:
Pro: Excellent cast, excellent writing, actually funny, gives explanations to regular PR tropes, a Scottish Ranger, good villains, tragic back stories for everyone
Cons: Some of the fights can be a letdown, the mook soldiers are pathetic, the final fight could have been better

If you don't mind spoilers, Linkara has reviews of all the seasons up to Mystic Force in his History of Power Rangers features.

Do the released ones ever go on sale on Amazon (ala' their price cuts that last for like a day or two that you see by adding them to the cart then checking every once in awhile)? I just need the Seasons 4-7 set but am in no rush to get it so if I can get it a bit cheaper at some point would rather do that.

The current price on Amazon is more or less the cheapest its been. Makes me kinda sad that I bought the initial bundle for $220. Not that it wasn't worth it.

Another RPM clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhQRBqDD0X8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWSbIzQJZw0

Still waiting for Linkara's next video. I hoped he would get 2 videos out each year for a while, but I am content to believe its only once a year. 

This deal is ridiuculous. Like seriously, I love PR, but no one would have enough time to watch all of these, even if they are unemployed and go on a drinking binge!

bread's done
Back