Pre-order Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection for $49.99 with FS @ BBY and Amazon

chelosera91

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-So...3&keywords=metal+gear+solid+legacy+collection

BEST BUY
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metal+Gear+Solid%3A+The+Legacy+Collection+-+PlayStation+3/8906051.p;jsessionid=00392B4CAB133D6E37987CD529087038.bbolsp-app01-157?id=1218944439829&skuId=8906051&st=metal%20gear%20solid%20legacy&lp=1&cp=1

To those who still can't get the MGS HD collection this collection releases on July 9 and includes 8 complete games.

EDIT: Added Best Buy link to those who want the points.

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 1 (code)
Metal Gear Solid 2: HD edition
Metal Gear Solid 3: HD edition
Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy edition
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD edition
Metal Gear Solid: VR missions (code)
and 100 Page artbook

[quote name='cheapgamer 23']Does the bestbuy preorder included the artbook? i checked the site it doen't mention an artbook. Is this also in store? oh thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]The artbook is a part of the collection, so you'll definitely get it if you preorder and pick up the collection.

[quote name='Vigilante']The artbook is a part of the collection, so you'll definitely get it if you preorder and pick up the collection.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's shouldn't even be a preorder bonus for that matter, its just part of the product

[quote name='Dion250']This is the normal price.. Not even a sale or deal for that matter.[/QUOTE]
The inevitable "MSRP is not a deal" post! :lol:
Strange since you are not the usual instigator.

[quote name='Dion250']This is the normal price.. Not even a sale or deal for that matter.[/QUOTE]

Official Fanboy thread.

Several of you laughed at the guy saying a game being sold at MSRP is not a deal... isn't he correct though? He's entirely correct when he stated that a game being sold at no discount with no special offers (Amazon free ships with $25+ and Bestbuy ships everything free). Maybe if there was a preorder bonus or something.

[quote name='hasturyo']You obviously never heard of the Orange Box uh? else you would know that half life does run on a ps3. and as far as Left 4 Dead I am sure is more something to do with licencing issues.[/QUOTE]

To be fair he said Half-Life. Orange Box contains Half-Life 2 and its 2 expansion episodes.

Now I know not every PS3 can run Half-Life. But my original 60GB fatty can:
609426boxart_160w.jpg

Nothing stopping it from coming as a PS2 Classic on the store either at some point in time.

anyone know if your PS3 saves for MGS HD collection (MGS2/MGS3) can be used with this new Legacy collection?

or is it completely separate??

[quote name='Rozz']Some of us would really prefer physical copies in one complete set.[/QUOTE]

Or just take what you can get and stop whining?

[quote name='Seraphinianus']and then if they pack in physical copies and charge $69-$79-- "it's too expensive, pass, i'll wait for a deal" etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, increasing the price by $20/$30 for adding in much less than a gig of capacity to a blu ray disc?

Good point on using the digital copies for Vita, but 16gb memory card isn't enough with a PS+ account, so I wouldn't have room for it anyway (I have a 2nd 16 gig but swapping cards really screws with the Vita home screen bubbles so I try not to do it.

[quote name='ShadowNYC']Yeah right, increasing the price by $20/$30 for adding in much less than a gig of capacity to a blu ray disc?

Good point on using the digital copies for Vita, but 16gb memory card isn't enough with a PS+ account, so I wouldn't have room for it anyway (I have a 2nd 16 gig but swapping cards really screws with the Vita home screen bubbles so I try not to do it.[/QUOTE]

wait, game prices are based on disc capacity now?

like I said, if you want PS1 discs of those, they'd have to set up a manufacturing line specifically for those...there aren't spare 15 year old blank PS1 discs sitting around (and who would want those.) They'd have to make those. That would drive up the price considerably and would be highly impractical for reprints. The discs don't magically appear from kojima's ass. PS1 discs would be considered a "specialty" item these days and since they'd be made in lower quantities, it'd be more expensive. Yes, $20-$30 more for 2 disc MGS + 1 disc VR missions.

and if you just want it pressed to a blu-ray that runs in the PS3's emulator, that would also bring the price up, and be stupid, considering they're right there on PSN and that the PSN copies are usable on more systems. So what would sell better-- PS1 copies that play only on PS1 or PS3. or digital copies that run on PS3 and PSP/Vita? And which one would be cheaper at retail and to manufacture?

sorry, you physical copy guys are in the minority these days. it's 2013.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']wait, game prices are based on disc capacity now?

like I said, if you want PS1 discs of those, they'd have to set up a manufacturing line specifically for those...there aren't spare 15 year old blank PS1 discs sitting around (and who would want those.) They'd have to make those. That would drive up the price considerably and would be highly impractical for reprints. The discs don't magically appear from kojima's ass. PS1 discs would be considered a "specialty" item these days and since they'd be made in lower quantities, it'd be more expensive. Yes, $20-$30 more for 2 disc MGS + 1 disc VR missions.

and if you just want it pressed to a blu-ray that runs in the PS3's emulator, that would also bring the price up, and be stupid, considering they're right there on PSN and that the PSN copies are usable on more systems. So what would sell better-- PS1 copies that play only on PS1 or PS3. or digital copies that run on PS3 and PSP/Vita? And which one would be cheaper at retail and to manufacture?

sorry, you physical copy guys are in the minority these days. it's 2013.[/QUOTE]

It would make much more sense to just add them to the bluray disk. They're not printing a separate bluray for each game here, there will be a couple of games per disk.

but that would still drive up the price. $49.99 is a pretty amazing price that'll get plenty of suckers (me included) to double (quadruple at this point?) dip.

I was kinda half hoping for PS1 discs AND psn codes, actually. :lol:

After hearing this, I too am glad I passed on the HD collection. I am so tempted to preorder from Amazon ($50 is insanely good; hell I originally bought MGS1 for that at Babbages), but what if a place like Best Buy or Gamestop has an exclusive bonus offer or sale with it to make it even better? Decisions, decisions.

Did I read correctly that this includes the VR missions game that was sold separately on the PS1?

[quote name='Seraphinianus']but that would still drive up the price. $49.99 is a pretty amazing price that'll get plenty of suckers (me included) to double (quadruple at this point?) dip.

I was kinda half hoping for PS1 discs AND psn codes, actually. :lol:[/QUOTE]

and why would it increase the price $20 for putting a game on the disc instead of downloadable code?

Wow, great value on this. I am a little annoyed at all these MGS 'collection' releases but the value on this is too hard to pass. Great for people who haven't tried the MGS series yet.

[quote name='ShadowNYC']Yeah right, increasing the price by $20/$30 for adding in much less than a gig of capacity to a blu ray disc?[/QUOTE]

Well the disc breakup is pretty basic at the moment. On one disc you have the HD Collection and on the other you have MGS 4, so logically this is something of a repackage with new artwork on stuff, an art book and a code. To add MGS 1 to the disc, they would need to find a way to do that and it would no doubt be the same way almost all of these games give you a free PSN game (Dead Space 2, Metal of Honor, Killzone Collection, etc)... If you've never played one of these games, it would basically appear as a separate disc on the XMB and you can install said game to the HDD. The game will be exactly the same as the DL version of the game, except that you need the disc to boot that version of the game and I am pretty sure it wouldn't transfer to the Vita or PSP.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']wait, game prices are based on disc capacity now? [/QUOTE]

Depends what it is, but for something like this... yeah it would be. If they went the disc route, they would need to either make a second game playable on the HD Collection disc (I've never seen a game accomplish this) and of course code the game to work like that. On the other hand, they can make another disc (even smaller storage), but that would also raise manufactories cost (1 more disc, more designs, perhaps more space if we get a collection like Japan, though it might cost extra to get a three disc in 1 case PS3 case and several other things), which would logically make this cost more.

[quote name='kitsunisan']It would make much more sense to just add them to the bluray disk. They're not printing a separate bluray for each game here, there will be a couple of games per disk.[/QUOTE]

It would, but you would still most likely get a digital version come the end of the game. No reason to piss on a infinitely more useful digital version, than a largely useless on disc digital version.

[quote name='jrr6415sun']and why would it increase the price $20 for putting a game on the disc instead of downloadable code?[/QUOTE]

Probably because some one did a simple breakdown like $20 for collection, $20 for 4 and $10 for the art book, so they simply slapped another $20 for an additional disc. None of us can ever really know if it would even increase in price by adding the extra disc, but going off what we know about other games in similar situations... the download code was the best choice.

[quote name='Seraphinianus']wait, game prices are based on disc capacity now?

sorry, you physical copy guys are in the minority these days. it's 2013.[/QUOTE]

You keep saying this, but they printed FF PS1 discs last year for a collection.

Those aren't special discs at all. Not even a little bit. They don't even have to have the black side to play on a PS1.

I usually buy every Metal Gear release, and I was thinking about getting this, but I'm probably going to pass even though I do want the art book and graphic novels. I already own the physical copy of all these games. Plus it's kinda cheap that they throw in digital copies for MGS and VR missions.

Traded in the HD collection during the amazon $20 bonus specifically because I knew this was coming out.

Unfortunately MGS4 goes for nothing these days so I'll just have an extra copy of that sitting around though.

Yeah I'm getting this myself since it has all the games, vr missions, and the digital comics. This compilation for $50 bucks is a steal.

I'll pass but it is a good deal just not for me. I'm not the kind of guy that resells games to buy them in new packaging. I didn't do it for Assassin's Creed, Killzone, God of War, Mass Effect etc. and I won't be doing it for MGS.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Is MGS4 Trophy Edition the same as MGS4 regular edition + trophies patch or is Trophy Edition considered a whole new game? :)[/QUOTE]

It's exactly the same game, they simply patched in trophy support and removed MGO (Metal Gear Online) since they pulled the servers down and that aspect is no longer support.

[quote name='coolguythinking']I'll pass but it is a good deal just not for me. I'm not the kind of guy that resells games to buy them in new packaging. I didn't do it for Assassin's Creed, Killzone, God of War, Mass Effect etc. and I won't be doing it for MGS.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way, I actually try to avoid re-releases, simply because I prefer the original releases that don't have crap posted all over its cover. Good example is the GOTY of Arkham City.

But I really dig the art for MGS, and since I still had HD Collections sealed figured it would be great to own this. I probably won't be using the VR Missions/MGS codes since I own the originals and played those a whole lot when I was younger.

[quote name='spiderman4657']If only it had the twin snakes.[/QUOTE]

If only they didn't fuck up Twin Snakes :lol:

Man, I sold off my PS3.. now gonna sell off my Xbox and have about $240 in Amazon cred and was thinking maybe picking up a PS3 again but holding for the PS4 or whatever else seems like the correct play financially (since I only play MGS and I'll be able to get MGS5 on PC). Not really sure wtf I should do :whistle2:?

I am a sucker for value but also a sucker for MGS so :wall:

Note I have the collection on PS2 so I'd be only be missing out on MGS4 and PS+ for the few months I have left.. If I was a rich mofo this would be ez but finances aren't the greatest atm.

Just traded in my MGS HD collection on Amazon for $15.  Once I get the credit I'll preorder on Amazon.  Thanks for posting this OP and looking forward to a possible pre-order bonus from Amazon, but getting it no matter what.  

I wonder why Gamestop USA doesn't have this available to preorder yet?  I'm tempted to get this at Amazon, bu want to  the poster that's a bonus to Gamestop/EBGames Canada.

The main reason I'm getting this collection is for Metal Gear Sold: Digital Graphic Novel Volume 2 since that was never released in the U.S. region.

I so probably would buy another Metal Gear collection if it had Metal Gear Rising is the main attraction, but would need to also include Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel.

I'd buy a Wii version that only included the Nintendo versions of Metal Gear Solid:
Twin Snakes
Ghost Babel
NES Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge (I know this isn't canon.)

Maybe a Vita version with Metal Gear Solid 4 separate or removed.  Followed by a collection that includes all the PSP games.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone plans to sell their HD collection in New/Like-New condition please PM me. Have MGS4 an don't really want to fork over $50 to get the rest of the games.

is the 1st run copies the only ones with the art book? this is not like hd collection where there's a regular edition and an LE so im guessing all copies will have the artbook included. with that in mind... im thinking of just buying one once the price go down abit.

is the 1st run copies the only ones with the art book? this is not like hd collection where there's a regular edition and an LE so im guessing all copies will have the artbook included. with that in mind... im thinking of just buying one once the price go down abit.
All copies, though it's impossible to say how many they will make / how long they will last.

All copies, though it's impossible to say how many they will make / how long they will last.
Guess you're right but its a Metal Gear Game. Considering it has a large fun base, i doubt they'll only print a small amount. Fans like me will double dip everytime. hehe! too bad there are no pre-order bonuses for it and its not part of the $20 GCU at BBY.

Guess you're right but its a Metal Gear Game. Considering it has a large fun base, i doubt they'll only print a small amount. Fans like me will double dip everytime. hehe! too bad there are no pre-order bonuses for it and its not part of the $20 GCU at BBY.
You say that, but hasn't most (if not every) Metal Gear LE been fairly limited? Not saying this one will or won't be, but I am saying nothing is 100% till we see things go one way or another.

I agree, and wait for the inevitable PS4 Exclusive Edition with the Phantom Pain included lol.

Seeing how the Metal Gear series has a large fanbase, and Konami isn't known for exactly mass producing their stuff. I'm willing to assume this might eventually sell out. The MGS:HD Collection first edition was up for quite awhile before it sold out, IIRC. I stupidly waited because I figured I'd be able to buy it cheaper like the Essentials Collection.

I think the only game I can recall that didn't sell out was the Limited Edition ZoE:HD Collection, with the reception of the ports, and because it is a niche title, I wasn't too surprised. It technically did sell out over at Gamestop, BB, and Amazon but it was restocked a week or two later lol.

I agree, and wait for the inevitable PS4 Exclusive Edition with the Phantom Pain included lol.

Seeing how the Metal Gear series has a large fanbase, and Konami isn't known for exactly mass producing their stuff. I'm willing to assume this might eventually sell out. The MGS:HD Collection first edition was up for quite awhile before it sold out, IIRC. I stupidly waited because I figured I'd be able to buy it cheaper like the Essentials Collection.

I think the only game I can recall that didn't sell out was the Limited Edition ZoE:HD Collection, with the reception of the ports, and because it is a niche title, I wasn't too surprised. It technically did sell out over at Gamestop, BB, and Amazon but it was restocked a week or two later lol.
If you're talking about the CE for the "first edition", it was only around for a few (if even that) weeks, though it still sold out and skyrocketed on the resale market.

ZoE: HD Collection had other issues. The nice box was actually just a slip cover, which turned some people off. Konami also went softcover for the art book and that caused people like me to cancel our preorders. I also believe the soundtrack was either incomplete or had like 8 songs, so there was a lot more to it.

As far as Konami LE's that didn't sell out, the only other one I can think of was Castlevania Lord of Shadows, which I can still buy at a few local stores.

What part is a dl code just the older games or are the HD ones dl codes as well?

Oh and isn't $49.99 MSRP? That's what Amazon is showing...

What part is a dl code just the older games or are the HD ones dl codes as well?

Oh and isn't $49.99 MSRP? That's what Amazon is showing...
Just Metal Gear Solid and VR Missions on PS1. I don't mind it because then I can play them on my Vita, but I can see why people would prefer the disc.

Man I have the HD Collection but I haven't played it yet. I didn't even realize the MSX Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 were included with that. With that being the case, I don't really have a reason to get this. I'll just try and hunt down a physical copy of VR Missions.

bread's done
Back