Pre-order Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection for $49.99 with FS @ BBY and Amazon

chelosera91

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-So...3&keywords=metal+gear+solid+legacy+collection

BEST BUY
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metal+Gear+Solid%3A+The+Legacy+Collection+-+PlayStation+3/8906051.p;jsessionid=00392B4CAB133D6E37987CD529087038.bbolsp-app01-157?id=1218944439829&skuId=8906051&st=metal%20gear%20solid%20legacy&lp=1&cp=1

To those who still can't get the MGS HD collection this collection releases on July 9 and includes 8 complete games.

EDIT: Added Best Buy link to those who want the points.

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid 1 (code)
Metal Gear Solid 2: HD edition
Metal Gear Solid 3: HD edition
Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy edition
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD edition
Metal Gear Solid: VR missions (code)
and 100 Page artbook

I wish Konami would do something akin to the recap videos done for Mass Effect 2 + 3 for one of these MGS re-releases. It's been so long since I played MGS2 or MGS3 and I really only bought this so I could own them all and play MGS4 without opening my MGS4 LE. Don't really have time to replay 1-3 before I get into 4 right now and I just worry I've forgotten important stuff. I guess I could just read up on a wiki but it still would be nice. Wasn't it the MGS3 LE that had a "theater disc" where you could just watch the cutscenes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish Konami would do something akin to the recap videos done for Mass Effect 2 + 3 for one of these MGS re-releases. It's been so long since I played MGS2 or MGS3 and I really only bought this so I could own them all and play MGS4 without opening my MGS4 LE. Don't really have time to replay 1-3 before I get into 4 right now and I just worry I've forgotten important stuff. I guess I could just read up on a wiki but it still would be nice. Wasn't it the MGS3 LE that had a "theater disc" where you could just watch the cutscenes?
The re-release of Subsistence had a 3rd disc called Existene which had the cutscenes edited into a movie. It was in the LE of the NA release but standard for the EU release. Konami did release two documentary DVDs, Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 to coincide to preorders of MGS3S and MGS4 and thats the closest thing toa recap video you are inquiring about. Probably would have been nice to make a Vol 3 to update it with info from 4 and PW

You can watch GT's Metal Gear Retrospective series here. It's not exactly the complication of cutscenes, but it still does a pretty good if you're just looking for the Cliff Notes. IIRC it covers all the games up until MGS3.

Also there's an official MGS wiki app available for free on PSN. It'll black out all the spoilers from MGS4 until you've beaten that game.

You can watch GT's Metal Gear Retrospective series here. It's not exactly the complication of cutscenes, but it still does a pretty good if you're just looking for the Cliff Notes. IIRC it covers all the games up until MGS3.

Also there's an official MGS wiki app available for free on PSN. It'll black out all the spoilers from MGS4 until you've beaten that game.
Oh cool, I'll have to check that video out. I think I had the app on PSN back in the day but I just hate reading a bunch of text on my TV.

Just opened up my box and was confused - had to look this stuff up. It turns out Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2 are accessed within the Metal Gear Solid 3 menus and the graphic novels are accessed by inserting disk 2 and navigating on the XMB to the "video" portion.

As someone that's never played any of these games I wanted to start at MG1 and was looking for it.

Is this game rare or something? My BB didn't even carry it at all.
Was curious and looked, only a couple stores in a large radius around me carry it and a couple more have the "ship to store in 2-5 days" option. The rest are just listed as "unavailable". So it might be kind of rare.

Might be. I pointed out several times that MGS games with special stuff (artbook) tend to be short lived. Then again, it's a killer deal and might have just sold out fast.
Yea despite how rare it could potentially be, I'm just happy I got it when I could. This package is what the first HD collection SHOULD have been. Better all around.

Pretty ticked off, got this from NewEgg and it appears my luck finally ran out.

I just got home from picking the package up, and the moment I noticed it came in a bubble mailer I knew this wouldn't be pretty...

They shipped it in a very small mailer, nearly the size of the game. The game must've been literally shoved in there because there was no room for it to move around whatsoever.

The whole slipcover is smashed to hell, so guess it'll be the first time I bitch at CS over a first world problem.

Pretty ticked off, got this from NewEgg and it appears my luck finally ran out.

I just got home from picking the package up, and the moment I noticed it came in a bubble mailer I knew this wouldn't be pretty...

They shipped it in a very small mailer, nearly the size of the game. The game must've been literally shoved in there because there was no room for it to move around whatsoever.

The whole slipcover is smashed to hell, so guess it'll be the first time I bitch at CS over a first world problem.
First Mistake: Preordering a game from Newegg.

NOTHING but hell. Everyone on CAG complains about them. They even messed up my order.

First Mistake: Preordering a game from Newegg.

NOTHING but hell. Everyone on CAG complains about them. They even messed up my order.
Yes. I have given up on them, regardless if it costs me a few more bucks ordering on Amazon. I've had 3 bad experiences with them. I've sworn them off.

No one is going to give you that code. The game only has one code in it and when redeemed gives you the VR missions and MGS1. So what you're really asking for is MGS1 and the VR Missions but only want to pay for the VR Missions. Good luck with that.
I'm selling mine, so there are people out there. =P

No one is going to give you that code. The game only has one code in it and when redeemed gives you the VR missions and MGS1. So what you're really asking for is MGS1 and the VR Missions but only want to pay for the VR Missions. Good luck with that.
Thanks for the info, and im not looking for someone to give it away. I assumed there were two codes, because MGS1 has been on PSN store for a long time. I bought it almost three years ago. Also this series has had so many re-releases of collections in recent years, many MGS fans have multiple copies several of the games by now. Many prefer the physical copies, and newer MGS fans dont care for the controls, and dont like the graphics of the MGS games released in the late 90s, and are accustomed to the games released within the last 5, or 6 years. I bet there will be more releases of collections in the future, but I've beat every game on the newest collection except VR Missions.

Thanks for the info, and im not looking for someone to give it away. I assumed there were two codes, because MGS1 has been on PSN store for a long time. I bought it almost three years ago. Also this series has had so many re-releases of collections in recent years, many MGS fans have multiple copies several of the games by now. Many prefer the physical copies, and newer MGS fans dont care for the controls, and dont like the graphics of the MGS games released in the late 90s, and are accustomed to the games released within the last 5, or 6 years. I bet there will be more releases of collections in the future, but I've beat every game on the newest collection except VR Missions.
I've never played any of the Metal Gear games so I picked this up to play them all in one package...or at least from what I read, all of them that matter (are cannon).

I'd guess that they gave one code for both because they don't want people to sell off the MGS1 code separately. It's a smart business move.

I've never played any of the Metal Gear games so I picked this up to play them all in one package...or at least from what I read, all of them that matter (are cannon).

I'd guess that they gave one code for both because they don't want people to sell off the MGS1 code separately. It's a smart business move.
They made it one code because they get charged to generate a code. It would have cost them more money to separate the codes, so they made it simple by making it just one.

The only canon missing is Portable Ops, and if you want to count Metal Gear Rising. I've beat these games too, but Rising is a spinoff IMO, the gameplay is vastly different than the traditional MGS games.

The only canon missing is Portable Ops, and if you want to count Metal Gear Rising. I've beat these games too, but Rising is a spinoff IMO, the gameplay is vastly different than the traditional MGS games.
Don't forget Metal Gear Acid. Although I've never played it.

Wow I tried metal gear 1 and 2 and MGS1 and these are pretty hard...I'm about to give up and sell my games already.
Are these games trial and error with no saves? I can't even figure out how to save...

Wow I tried metal gear 1 and 2 and MGS1 and these are pretty hard...I'm about to give up and sell my games already.
Are these games trial and error with no saves? I can't even figure out how to save...
Lol. They are difficult, but that's one of the reasons they are great! I wouldn't give up yet, there's a lot to love ahead of you if you stick it out.

You save by calling mei ling in MGS1 and paramedic I think in MG

Lol. They are difficult, but that's one of the reasons they are great! I wouldn't give up yet, there's a lot to love ahead of you if you stick it out.
You save by calling mei ling in MGS1 and paramedic I think in MG
Wish someone had said metal gear games are hard. I never would have bought this, I just don't like hard games - they are not fun to me.

Wish someone had said metal gear games are hard. I never would have bought this, I just don't like hard games - they are not fun to me.
I dunno, I don't think many people think they are hard. The games vary in degree of difficulty. the original MG are naturally going to be harder. Mgs1 is probably the hardest of the Solid series. I find 2 the most difficult and monotonous, but peace walker, 3 and 4 are amazing.

If you can't get into MG or MGS1 then try 3 or peace walker, see if you like those enough to revisit the originals. 3 and peace walker are prequels.

I think once you get into a certain groove and potentially use a strategy guide it will be easier. Patience is key for sure!

I dunno, I don't think many people think they are hard. The games vary in degree of difficulty. the original MG are naturally going to be harder. Mgs1 is probably the hardest of the Solid series. I find 2 the most difficult and monotonous, but peace walker, 3 and 4 are amazing.

If you can't get into MG or MGS1 then try 3 or peace walker, see if you like those enough to revisit the originals. 3 and peace walker are prequels.

I think once you get into a certain groove and potentially use a strategy guide it will be easier. Patience is key for sure!
I've just given up on MGS1. I was in the "tank hanger" for an hour and couldn't figure out where to go or what to do. There's a vent on the bottom that has terrible crawling graphics and is damn near impossible to see where you're going. I kept inadvertently backtracking and it seems to have a dead end anyway. So far I've tried 3 of the games, MG, MG2, MGS1 and all of them have been too difficult and seem like they're basically puzzle games..

I've just given up on MGS1. I was in the "tank hanger" for an hour and couldn't figure out where to go or what to do. There's a vent on the bottom that has terrible crawling graphics and is damn near impossible to see where you're going. I kept inadvertently backtracking and it seems to have a dead end anyway. So far I've tried 3 of the games, MG, MG2, MGS1 and all of them have been too difficult and seem like they're basically puzzle games..
Get a walkthough

Try playing Metal Gear Solid 3 (Its the 1st in cronological order and has a more normal camera angle) and play on an easy mode. Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 aren't to hard on easier difficulties as well. Peace Walker in my opinion is the hardest. The bosses in PW always pissed me off.

If you get stuck in any of the games you can usually just contact members of your team on the radio and they'll tell you where to go next or how to defeat a boss. If you contact them repeatedly they'll typically offer new info each time.

As for getting lost... You'll probably like MGS3 & 4 more, then. Those two games are very linear.

In MG and MG2 you just have to press the start button and there's an option to save your game. It doesn't save where you're standing, but saves where you last reached a checkpoint.

I want to sell my unplayed HD Collection on 360 for $20ish. I also have the collection on PS3 that I imported from the UK. If anybody is interested.

Yea I would Try 3 then, see how you like it. The camera has free control to it, play it on easy. Just use your map and codec. There are resources in the game that help you along, they just aren't in your face like hand holding modern games.

Peacewalker, 3 and 4 are more like contemporary 3rd person shooter games, the stealth is there, but you could potentially go guns a blazin and not get totally owned.

that or defiantly get a walkthrough going on MGS1. MGS1 imo has the best story in the series, so its worth playing through, and it will give you a good sense of accomplishment. If I could play through it when I was 10, I'm sure you could too :)

Yea I would Try 3 then, see how you like it. The camera has free control to it, play it on easy. Just use your map and codec. There are resources in the game that help you along, they just aren't in your face like hand holding modern games.

Peacewalker, 3 and 4 are more like contemporary 3rd person shooter games, the stealth is there, but you could potentially go guns a blazin and not get totally owned.

that or defiantly get a walkthrough going on MGS1. MGS1 imo has the best story in the series, so its worth playing through, and it will give you a good sense of accomplishment. If I could play through it when I was 10, I'm sure you could too :)
i played it all the way through mgs1 about 4 years ago for the first time. Held up great actually. Awesome game regardless of generation.

Cant wait for a price drop. My local bestbuy has like 16 of these babies and employee said hardly anyone noticed the release last tuesday. 29.99 is now my buy krice for this. Artbook was not hardbound like the hd collection which probably turned off a lot of the fanbase like myself.

bread's done
Back