Pre-order Modern Warfare 2 online $40 trade credit @ Gamestop if you trade it back

Virgil_Leone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=74392

Pre-order Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 online and get a guaranteed $40 trade credit if you trade in the game at a GameStop store by December 13, 2009. Offer valid for online purchases only. Offer valid for a limited time only and will be extended to all existing pre-orders. GameStop reserves the right to end this promotion at any time. Coupon for $40 trade credit will be e-mailed within 2 business days after the game ships to the e-mail address used to place the order. Xbox 360 and PS3 versions only.

I guess this is cool if you don't intend to keep the game long, however I would go with the amazon deal of 20 dollars video game credit just for buying.

I've always been grateful for this site allowing me to avoid GS & EB as much as possible. I love when employees pretend that a trade-in deal isn't on, like the trade 4 for an extra $20, when the 4 games are just above the cutoff price (I think it was $2.00). There's is an ugly business model to say the least.

You might as well sell the damn copy in a couple months on eBay, Half.com, or Amazon. You can probably get more for it that way.

Lol, This is the response I thought I would get, but perhaps someone will benefit from this *ahem* deal. Apparently this also goes for tekken 6. Perhaps it should be thought of as a crappy insurance policy should you not like the game and would not want to bother with ebay.

[quote name='sTaTIx']You might as well sell the damn copy in a couple months on eBay, Half.com, or Amazon. You can probably get more for it that way.[/QUOTE]

This, I always make a ton more than the GS TIV if I use amazon.

Unfortunately, Gameflying MW2 would be better than this deal, who's only keeping this game for a month anyway?

[quote name='thamaster24']This, I always make a ton more than the GS TIV if I use amazon.

Unfortunately, Gameflying MW2 would be better than this deal, who's only keeping this game for a month anyway?[/QUOTE]
My exact thought there.

Might make sense if they guaranteed it like...forever, but for a month? So they're saying after a month of release of a $60 game they won't even give you $40 trade-in unless you have this coupon?

Stupid promotion, but gamestop knows its customer base well enough.

In the screwed-up standards they've set, this is a considerable deal. If not for the money flowing right back into their store, I'd say it was almost charitable of GS to offer these poor saps almost double what I'd expect the TIV to be.

[quote name='SpazX']Might make sense if they guaranteed it like...forever, but for a month? So they're saying after a month of release of a $60 game they won't even give you $40 trade-in unless you have this coupon?[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the TIV values for games just released? The most I've seen for a TIV is $30. With this coupon being out there, chances are the TIV for this game will be $20, $25 tops which really sucks. But as others before me have said, who in their right mind plans on only keeping this game for a month? I suppose people that don't want to play online with it and just want to beat the main storyline?

It's just crazy, they'll probably be charging $55 for it used in a month anyway. $50 at the least. And if you preorder it they'll be generous enough to give you $40 trade-in over the maybe $30 other people might get.

So Amazon will let you preorder it, keep it, and give you another $20 to spend on another game and gamestop will let you preorder it and give it back to them so they can make $20 more off of it.

I guess I really don't need to remind myself why I don't give gamestop my money.

That deal sucks for MW2. I'm using it for tekken6. Doing the trade 3 get $60 tekken 6 credit. Then play for a couple weeks and trade it back for $40. The 3 games I am using to get it cost me less than $30 bucks and no one will pay more than $15 shipped on here for them.

[quote name='kart007k']can I put my shit inside the manual and trade it back?[/QUOTE]
Jokes on you, the game is already in the box. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. . .

[quote name='evophile']LOL, so they basically expect you to rent it for a month for $20?[/QUOTE]

No they expect you to pre-order. Get the coupon. Make copies. Steal a bunch from random people and then sell them back to gamestop.

to be fair I do have a few friends who buy games only to complete them, then end up trading it back usually within a month. but that's only for single player titles like Batman: Arkham Asylum or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Gamestop loves trying to rip more money out of their customers. They know how to do well though, as I am positive they will be racking in the greenbacks from people who don't like CoD online or don't play it online.

Only the idiots that purchase from retail all the time will do this because they have no idea how to save money.

Same "deal" on Tekken 6.

Order Tekken 6 online and get a guaranteed $40 trade credit if you trade in the game at a GameStop store by November 29, 2009. Offer valid for online purchases only. Offer valid for a limited time only and will be extended to all existing pre-orders. GameStop reserves the right to end this promotion at any time. Coupon for $40 trade credit will be e-mailed within 2 business days after the game ships to the e-mail address used to place the order. Xbox 360 and PS3 versions only.

So this might be a new trend for GS?
Hopefully nobody uses this "deal" and GS realizes how ridiculous it is.

This sounds like a good CAGbag question to me... *posting now*

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I trade in CoD MW 2 for $44 (The $4 being the EDGE 10% Bonus) if this game has tremendous replay value?

Haha wow that's terrible. I mean, cool I guess but why would you buy MW2 expecting to trade it in a month later? Sentimental value of my game collection is worth more than GS TIV's.

So buy MW2 for $59.99 ($65 w/ tax), play it for a month, then give it back to GS, lose 65 bucks, and end up with $40 of credit that could only be used at the place that just fucked you.
I cannot wait.

Is it just me, or will this "promo" simply create a lot of MW2 thefts that profit gamestop, which will redo this promo in the future, creating a loop of misery?

Just saw this thread.

Memo to Gamestop CEO:

Please fire your whole advertising/marketing team. They obviously do not have the slightest knowledge of games, gamers or advertising for that manner. With over 8 years of advertising experience as well as 20+ years of gaming, I will be more than happy to assist you in making your company profitable again and setting up your company for the eventual Best Buy acquisition so, at the end of your company's run, we (You, GS Shareholders and I) come out ahead.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']Just saw this thread.

Memo to Gamestop CEO:

Please fire your whole advertising/marketing team. They obviously do not have the slightest knowledge of games, gamers or advertising for that manner. With over 8 years of advertising experience as well as 20+ years of gaming, I will be more than happy to assist you in making your company profitable again and setting up your company for the eventual Best Buy acquisition so, at the end of your company's run, we (You, GS Shareholders and I) come out ahead.[/QUOTE]
made me lol

I don't get why people rip on Gamestop so much. Sure they don't always have the best sales or w/e, but they are a business and games are just merchandise like anything else we buy. Just about anything you buy depreciates in value the second you get your receipt. Take for example a car. You buy a car for 20k, say you keep it for a month, there is absolutely no way you would ever get 20k in selling it to someone.

[quote name='anthfett06']I don't get why people rip on Gamestop so much. Sure they don't always have the best sales or w/e, but they are a business and games are just merchandise like anything else we buy. Just about anything you buy depreciates in value the second you get your receipt. Take for example a car. You buy a car for 20k, say you keep it for a month, there is absolutely no way you would ever get 20k in selling it to someone.[/QUOTE]
But unless I totally trashed it in a month, I would get more than 2/3 of the price for it (which is this promo).

Not ripping you nor GS (we all shop, and/or trade there), they've just made some really bad advertising/marketing mistakes this quarter. It almost looks like they want to fail. They're not the only big name game in town anymore, so why not take the money and run while you still can get value (especially with digital distribution right around the corner within the next 5-7 years) instead of totally "going down in flames" like GC and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='anthfett06']I don't get why people rip on Gamestop so much. Sure they don't always have the best sales or w/e, but they are a business and games are just merchandise like anything else we buy. Just about anything you buy depreciates in value the second you get your receipt. Take for example a car. You buy a car for 20k, say you keep it for a month, there is absolutely no way you would ever get 20k in selling it to someone.[/QUOTE]

This "deal" exists so they can turn around and sell that game for $55 used, it has nothing to do with the depreciation of the game's value. This particular offer isn't a giftcard or a discount, or anything for you, it's an offer to give you less money than your game is worth in trade-in as a thank you for preordering, then make $15 profit on it, rather than giving you even less and making a $20 or $25 profit.

It'll work, which is the sad part. If you want to justify them taking advantage of people by saying it's a business and continue to give them money then go right ahead. I'll try my best to give money to businesses that treat their customers better.

bread's done
Back