Predict where the spy satellite will crash - Cancelled

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
OK, got a little contest for you.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/01/26/dead.satellite.ap/index.html

Predict where it will hit, and win a prize.

Here's the rules: Use a map and figure out what the Lat/Long of the impact site will be. LAND ONLY. Then, post it here.

No editing your post, or you'll forfeit your entry. The person who comes closest in terms of distance will win a prize donated by me, and any other prizes that others may want to donate.

Entries will close Feb 14th, and I'll track them using Google Earth. In order to be accurate, please post Lat/Long as specifically as possible (down to the second decimal point of seconds).

If the winner correctly predicts the spot within 50 miles, you'll get a bonus prize.

Good luck.

Edit: feel free to move to the contests forum, but I wanted the OT to see this.

I forgot to mention this:

It is a spy satellite, and there is a chance that they'll attempt to hide where it actually crashed. In this event, I'll use the latest sighting of it re-entering from a credible news source.

I wonder if Taco Bell is going to pull their bullseye stunt again, where if any part of it hits the bullseye, everyone in the US gets a free taco :p

Do we have any idea where it currently is and what is it's velocity and trajectory? Without this it will be extremely hard to guess.

[quote name='darthbudge']Do we have any idea where it currently is and what is it's velocity and trajectory? Without this it will be extremely hard to guess.[/QUOTE]

No. It's going to be blind luck if you get it right.

Since it is a spy sat, I seriously doubt anyone outside the government will know exactly where it is. The US doesn't want anyone to know the general area where it will fall so no one gets the chance to recover US Spy sat technology.

Just getting more exact. This is my last post, I swear.

Tehran, Iran

Latitude: 35° 38' 38.58" North

Longitude: 51° 22' 48.40" East

That's my final answer and I won't change it.

Kudos on you for this contest. I won't be entering, but I would like to chime in my smart@$$ remark and hopes it will hit

IMG_0243-708697.jpg

The Russia/China border so that way they can go to war with each other over what info might be on it. We could just ask China to shoot it down, they have the tech.

I'm hoping it will land on Bush's head, but if he's in the White House he will claim Iran Terrorists brought the thing down.

EDIT - Damnit! Someone beat me to the Iran "joke"!

I will make my predictions in two weeks. I need to contact my Chinese agents about where they want it parked before I give out the coords.

I'm probably not going to enter the contest, but if I do, I'm calling that it'll land in Cuba. That would be too ironic.

...Anyone know the coordinates of the Guantanamo Bay base?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Sorry peeps, looks like it's being shot down.

I'll keep an eye out to do something similar soon.[/QUOTE]

what?!?!?!

linky please.

If they let it fall to the Earth, I'm gonna guess it will touch down somewhere in the Indian Ocean. I'll have to look at longitudes and lattitudes later.

[quote name='shieryda']I hope they equip the rocket with a sat-cam so that we get to watch the kill as it happens.[/QUOTE]

oh they already have that planned out. It is most likely they figured out it's going to crash near someone we don't want them to get their hands on. Probably the recent shuttle trip helped them determine the status of that thing and they finally came to the conclusion that they need to blow it up. I would not be surprised if there was some sort of secret operation at this very moment to retrieve any vital part of the sat before they destroy it.

Even if they manage to hit it the satellite won't be completely vaporized. How about we predict where the biggest chunk will land? I predict somewhere in Africa but I'll have to get coordinates later.

is it really necessary to blow up a sat that now the news is reporting might have toxic chemicals or a nuclear reactor ? Wouldn't blowing it up spread that shit over a greater area? With some rigging, some rockets could be slapped on to it and move it away from the planet towards deep space or the sun :)

bread's done
Back