Preferred Browser?

looking at the avant site is appears to just be an IE addon that makes IE mimic Opera

If I open IE once a week its too often...I HATE IE

Last time I used Opera, it wasn't compatible with all pages. Nothing drives me crazy faster than a page not loading correctly due to some weird browser. I don't care if it's only one page, that's one too many. Avant being based on IE just means it's gonna be compatible w/ everything.

[quote name='defender']thats true...avant is definitely compatible with everything...including any holes or viruses that are plentiful with IE[/quote]

Which is why I also run Norton Antivirus. :)

I have used Opera, Mozilla, Netscape, and Lynx (just a text browser, no grpahics) in the past but my preferred browser is Mozilla Firebird.

I have used Firefox but I HATE the way you save files in it (that download "manager" is worthless IMO).

I still use IE 6 for making web purchases and viewing sites that don't show up correctly in Mozilla Firebird.

Once you use TAB'd browsing, you can never go back to anything else. The built in pop-up blocker, and it's ad-free. www.mozilla.com check it out, really Tab'd browsing (having multiple browser windws open within the same browser) really kicks some serious a$$.

GS

[quote name='argyle']Last time I used Opera, it wasn't compatible with all pages. Nothing drives me crazy faster than a page not loading correctly due to some weird browser. I don't care if it's only one page, that's one too many. Avant being based on IE just means it's gonna be compatible w/ everything.[/quote]

Generally this is not the fault of the browser, but of a lazy developer that does not feel like creating a workaround to get the same functionality across all browsers (like me :lol: ). Opera is very strict in the W3C standards area, meaning that everything works exactly as it _should_. IE and the like take certain liberties with the W3C standard, making some things easier and other things harder, as well as occasionally adding functionality that is compltely out-of-bounds (like the Netscape "blink" option for text, which should be banned and stricken from every page on the internet for its horrible appearance).

:roll: Ever notice how whatever someone else uses is the ONLY thing that's acceptable?

Use what you like, that's all that counts.

[quote name='argyle'][quote name='defender']thats true...avant is definitely compatible with everything...including any holes or viruses that are plentiful with IE[/quote]

Which is why I also run Norton Antivirus. :)[/quote]

SHAZAM!!! You and I have like the exact same brain, I was just about to say that.

I gotta second the notion that tabbed browsing kicks ass. I think pretty much every modern browser (besides IE that is) supports this feature out of the box.

I would consider switching to Opera if it were free, but it's not and Mozilla is a really great free browser. Can't go wrong with that choice IMO. If there weren't a great free alternative I'm sure I could put up with Opera's ads, but luckily I don't need to.

Back when I used IE pretty much exclusively I would just have 15+ IE windows open at a time and thought that was just fine, why would tabs be any better? But once I tried a browser with tabs it is just so much nicer. Right now I have ~20 tabs open, which is probably about average. Unfortunately not many sites use the favicon feature - ones that do get their icon on the tab, but that's not Mozilla's fault. (Cheapy has it on the front page but not in the forum directories.)

And of course built in pop up blocking is the icing on the cake. I have never had one pop up slip through Mozilla. And since it lets through pop up windows that are a result of you clicking a link (Say a site pops up the result of a form you fill-in in another window for example) you don't have to keep switching it on and off.

I would like it to have Opera's reopen all the tabs on a crash feature though. That would be very nice.

I think IE won't show a favicon unless the page is bookmarked does Avant work the same way? I might check it out.

Mozilla is a little quirky with how it handles the icon. As far as I can tell the webmaster must put the favicon file in every directory where s/he wants the icon to show up throughout the entire site, not just in the root / directory.

Just downloaded avant. Seems nice not sure if I'll like it as much as Mozilla, but I do like having the favicon on the CAG boards tab LOL

So opening in a new window is basically opening in a new tab, right? And there is no way to actually have two avant browser windows open, each with their own set of tabs?

I also like the little arrows for cycling through the open tabs in order. Mozilla doesn't have that as far as I'm aware.

[quote name='wubb']I think IE won't show a favicon unless the page is bookmarked does Avant work the same way? I might check it out.

Mozilla is a little quirky with how it handles the icon. As far as I can tell the webmaster must put the favicon file in every directory where s/he wants the icon to show up throughout the entire site, not just in the root / directory.

Just downloaded avant. Seems nice not sure if I'll like it as much as Mozilla, but I do like having the favicon on the CAG boards tab LOL

So opening in a new window is basically opening in a new tab, right? And there is no way to actually have two avant browser windows open, each with their own set of tabs?[/quote]

Right, a new page is a new tab, and right, no other Avant browsers open. Just the way I like it. I love how it handles icons.

Just to let you people know, there is a ongoing campaign to sabotage Opera. Certain pages purposfully won't work if you are using opera like some M$ sites, etc.

Also people are LAZY and don't code their sites properly so that opera will work right.

I have had Opera crash on me, but it is always because of bad code on the page, and even then I just recover where I left off with no problem.

And the whole "no ads" excuse is lame because the opera ad is barely noticeable and can be blocked with an ad blocker.

I use Mozilla and Internet Explorer. Since Mozilla has a hard time for some reason dialing up I launch Explorer to get online and usually switch to Mozilla. Tabbed browsing is awesome.

I've tried Mozilla Firefox and the web pages shift up and down constantly. It's highly annoying and hopefully later versions will fix the problem since the browser itself is pretty cool.

I've also got Netscape (it's alright), and Real's browser that comes with their player. I haven't tried Opera yet but after hearing a lot of people say such positive things I think I'm going to test it out.

Well, I've been using Avant for a while now.

Seems to perform just as well as Mozilla. Maybe a tad worse, but that is probably just perception.

* I love having the icons on the tabs.
* I like being able to open all links in a folder, or set multiple sites to open at startup easily. In Moz you can bookmark a group of tabs, but I think I prefer Avant's system.
* I would like to have the option to open a new window with a 2nd set of tabs. Not a real big deal, though.
* You can't right click and view a picture? In Mozilla you can do this with any inline image and it will open it up in the current tab. So you don't have to fool with viewing source or looking at the image properties to figure out what server an image is coming from for example. That's a feature in Moz I really like. I guess because Avant is built off IE and IE doesn't do this, Avant can't either?

So far #4 is the main feature Avant lacks that I'll miss. But I'll probably stick with it for the time being.

* You can't right click and view a picture? In Mozilla you can do this with any inline image and it will open it up in the current tab. So you don't have to fool with viewing source or looking at the image properties to figure out what server an image is coming from for example. That's a feature in Moz I really like. I guess because Avant is built off IE and IE doesn't do this, Avant can't either?

In opera you can do one better...just simply drag an image or link a half inch and let go...BAM it automatically opens in a new window.

I started using opera again (first time since... 6.2 I think) and it's pretty sweet. I think my problems with it back at 6.2 were partially rooted in the 800x600 resolution my shitty laptop displayed at back then. The ads took up a good 1/5 of the total viewable area, and all the tabs and other toolbars took up another 1/4 or so, so there was next to no room for me to see anything.

Now at 1900x1280 and 1280x1024, I have a bunch of extra space and can now appreciate the extra functionality in Opera 7.5b. Though I do not see a marked improvement in speed over IE6.0SP1. Tabs have now become a priority for me in selecting a browser, much like DeadAim did for me and AIM.

bread's done
Back