Preorder Fire Emblem: Awakening at GameStop, get an art book.

[quote name='nightmarishhero']I went to a local gamestop on the 20th around 7pm to confirm there would be a pre-order bonus with them. When the associate looked, he told me the game couldn't even be put on pre-order yet and there was no bonus item info, he said not even luigis mansion could be pre-ordered. The only reason I'm inclined to believe him is because I never heard of a gamestop employee turning down a pre-order attempt.

Still I'm trying a different gamestop later today[/QUOTE]

I was at a gs I don't go often back in mid-April where a mother and her kid where looking for skylanders. The mother preordered a bunch of 3ds games including Luigi's Mansion 2.

I guess the preorder pos varies for each store.

[quote name='Zaku77']I like tactical RPGs, but I've never played the Fire Emblem series. Can someone sell me on it? haha[/QUOTE]

One of the highlights of the Fire Emblem series imo is it's permadeath system. If your troops get slain in battle, they're gone forever. Really makes you act more carefully than in other SRPG's.

Gear is very important. Each weapon/item has a limited number of uses, and the better weapons generally have far fewer uses than the weaker items. An Iron Sword has 40 uses before it breaks, whereas a silver sword only has 20 uses.

Battles allow your character and the enemy character to exchange blows. Different stats affect the outcome of the battle. If your character's attack speed is high enough, he/she can attack twice during that battle. Before going into a battle it'll show you if you'll be attacking twice or not, as well as how much damage you'll do, the % chance of a critical, the accuracy of the attack, etc.. It also shows how much damage your opponent will do.

Very interesting battle system. Probably different from what you're used to playing, so it'll probably be a breath of fresh air for you. Give it a shot.

Called the Gamestops around me and none of them knew anything about the art book. They were taking preorders, at least, but I feel somewhat safer ordering online, so I guess that's what I'm gonna do now.

[quote name='EdgeCrusher36']Yeah, not everyone resells stuff slidecage, no reason to be a SDer :([/QUOTE]

Is "SDer" shorthand for 'SlickDealer'?

[quote name='doodofdoods']One of the highlights of the Fire Emblem series imo is it's permadeath system. If your troops get slain in battle, they're gone forever. Really makes you act more carefully than in other SRPG's.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly positive that this one allows you to turn off permadeath, with no repercussions.

[quote name='doodofdoods']One of the highlights of the Fire Emblem series imo is it's permadeath system. If your troops get slain in battle, they're gone forever. Really makes you act more carefully than in other SRPG's.

Gear is very important. Each weapon/item has a limited number of uses, and the better weapons generally have far fewer uses than the weaker items. An Iron Sword has 40 uses before it breaks, whereas a silver sword only has 20 uses.

Battles allow your character and the enemy character to exchange blows. Different stats affect the outcome of the battle. If your character's attack speed is high enough, he/she can attack twice during that battle. Before going into a battle it'll show you if you'll be attacking twice or not, as well as how much damage you'll do, the % chance of a critical, the accuracy of the attack, etc.. It also shows how much damage your opponent will do.

Very interesting battle system. Probably different from what you're used to playing, so it'll probably be a breath of fresh air for you. Give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Your first two paragraphs actually sold me on not getting into the series. Things like that just aren't friendly to the player and aren't fun. That sounds like the equivalent of Far Cry 2 where you could barely run 10 feet before succumbing to malaria, and your guns were constantly breaking. I have enough TRPGs to play, and these shall not be added to the list. Cheers! lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zaku77']Your first two paragraphs actually sold me on not getting into the series. Things like that just aren't friendly to the player, and aren't fun. That sounds like the equivalent of Far Cry 2 where you could barely run 10 feet before succumbing to malaria, and your guns were constantly breaking. I have enough TRPGs to play, and these shall not be added to the list. Cheers! lol[/QUOTE]

Then you're going to be missing out on one of the greatest Tactical RPG series of all time.

I will definitely pick this up day one, but I'm hoping that Amazon will get the art book so I can use my credit.

Regardless of how good the rest of it is, I don't think I would like it. Just those two things that he mentioned are more than enough to turn me off of ever playing one of these.

hmm.. if i preordered this a while back i still get the artbook right? I preordered this back when i canceled my GTA V pre order. I just did it to get the Max Payne 3 CE for like $30. Then i moved the 5 bucks over to this. Im assuming i will still get the artbook when it comes in even though at the time there was no mention of it right?

[quote name='Zaku77']Regardless of how good the rest of it is, I don't think I would like it. Just those two things that he mentioned are more than enough to turn me off of ever playing one of these.[/QUOTE]

If you can be so sure as to say you'll never, ever play the games just because of one thing you've simply heard, well, your loss, bub.

[quote name='Zaku77']Regardless of how good the rest of it is, I don't think I would like it. Just those two things that he mentioned are more than enough to turn me off of ever playing one of these.[/QUOTE]

your loss. the first two paragraphs he wrote are what make fire emblem so great. Even if I could turn off permadeath, I wouldn't.

One of the most satisfying parts of Fire Emblem is when you can evolve your character into a more awesome character, and then level up the evolved character even harder. I can't wait for this game. I'm also hoping for a new Advance Wars to be announced, but who knows if that will ever happen?

[quote name='confoosious']your loss. the first two paragraphs he wrote are what make fire emblem so great. Even if I could turn off permadeath, I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you. As much as I hate and bitch about permadeath, I probably wouldn't turn it off if given the option to.

Day one purchase for me.
Trailer sold me and it looks awesome.
Ever since Conquest (and Im sure there are others) Ive been getting into more SRPG and TRPGS.

[quote name='Zaku77']Your first two paragraphs actually sold me on not getting into the series. Things like that just aren't friendly to the player and aren't fun. That sounds like the equivalent of Far Cry 2 where you could barely run 10 feet before succumbing to malaria, and your guns were constantly breaking. I have enough TRPGs to play, and these shall not be added to the list. Cheers! lol[/QUOTE]

Well in this version you can apparently turn permadeath off, but I don't think it'll bother you much to leave it on if you're any good at TRPG's. There are plenty of characters to recruit in the fire emblem series, you can afford to lose a few of them, but at the same time you might have an attachment to certain characters and don't want to see them perish on the battlefield.

As for gear, there are armories where you buy more. You'll never be caught without a weapon, but you won't be able to spam on weaker troops with the best weapons, unless you want to get your ass handed to you by the stronger troops. There are actually weapons that work specifically against certain kinds of troops. There's armor-busting weapons to use against knights, anti-cavalry weapons to use against calvary, etc..

It's definitely not "unfriendly" to the player, the limitations actually expand the tactical options. They make you think about what you're doing. If you lose a character in another TRPG because you foolishly moved your character into a position where the enemy can gangbang him, sure you'd be slightly upset but if you won the battle you'd just heal him and send him out again. Not so in fire emblem. You have to make sure your tactics are up to snuff. Same with gear. You have to decide who will use what weapons, and when to use those weapons.

Despite what your initial impressions of the game might have been based on my comments, I suggest you try playing a fire emblem game for yourself before judging it. It's worth owning if you're a fan of TRPG's.

Here's some short video of the gameplay in this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbZ9woy06y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMb1O9xzO_I

IMO, it looks like it'll be one of the best entries in one of the best TRPG series.

[quote name='Zaku77']Your first two paragraphs actually sold me on not getting into the series. Things like that just aren't friendly to the player and aren't fun. That sounds like the equivalent of Far Cry 2 where you could barely run 10 feet before succumbing to malaria, and your guns were constantly breaking. I have enough TRPGs to play, and these shall not be added to the list. Cheers! lol[/QUOTE]

Fire emblem is one of the most tactical games on the handheld. This version is actually noobified to allow players like you to get into the series, which is great because more sales mean more fire emblem.

To me personally, perma death and all the minor micromanaging which is pretty minimal in the game is one of the highlights of the series ands I think that is what that makes it stand out compared to similar games.

Nothing beats the feeling when you build up a character and watch those characters kick some serious ass on the battlefield, but that's just me.

added: I personally bought a 3ds xl just for this game and possibly advance war.

[quote name='silver001']
Nothing beats the feeling when you build up a character and watch those characters kick some serious ass on the battlefield, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]
Nope, not only you, this is the best since you eventually grow to care about some of the characters, and it's so cool to see them grow badass. In the first Fire Emblem that made it to the US on the GBA, I think on the last level before the final boss I just sent my fully leveled Florina, aka death on wings, into the middle of the map, left her there, and watched as she killed everyone that attempted to get close to her :lol:

[quote name='confoosious']so it looks like GS is the only one with the artbook?[/QUOTE]
Apparently. I checked at a store today, and they had no idea about the artbook. I'm wondering if it's not only a GS exclusive, but also an online exclusive. I sure hope not, I've got $20 worth of store credit I'd like to use.

Also, at everyone that was turned away at the idea of permadeath and limited weapon usage, it isn't as bad in practice as it sounds on paper. The worst-case scenario if someone dies is that you need to start the mission over if you want them to live through it. The limited item usage is built on the principal that a weapon may be weaker for damage, but you can use it more (so you weigh whether you want to use your best weapon that turn, or a lesser one in case you'll get attacked by a bunch of weaker troops). Fire Emblem is one of my favorite game series, and much like Confoosious I have no intention of turning off the ability to die.

If you think casual mode is the only way that you'd be interested in the game, I encourage you to buy it and play that mode. I'm willing to bet that you'll be looking for copies of the other games once you finish this one.

I have this in my Amazon quick picks. So I have to decide if the $2 savings offsets the art book. Considering that the book would just go into a drawer, I'd say it probably is. Unless the art book becomes worth $100 later - but with a GS-exclusive, that seems unlikely.

I decided to get it at GameStop, I wanted the bonus so I figured I might as well pre-order it while I was there anyways picking up Anarchy Reigns. It looks like it's gonna be pretty fun.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Apparently. I checked at a store today, and they had no idea about the artbook. I'm wondering if it's not only a GS exclusive, but also an online exclusive. I sure hope not, I've got $20 worth of store credit I'd like to use.[/QUOTE]

The guys at the Gamestop I tried preordering at were ignorant of the bonus, too, but one of 'em was saying that since the holidays, corporate hasn't been quick to tell them about pre-order bonuses and that if the site says they're getting it, they'll get it.

I don't quite trust the guy, though; he seems to have an answer for everything and acts like a smug jackhole whenever you ask him anything. Best part is that he seems to be at every Gamestop when I go, no matter which location or what time I try (and there's four nearby). Seriously, I even went to this particular Gamestop because I'd never seen him there and thought I could escape him. The world is cruel.

Anyway, if I get nothing because I ordered in store... heads will roll. Don't mess with my Fire Emblem stuff.

said there will be tons of DLC on this game and thought neat... until i looked at japan and saw them charge 2 to 3 bucks per map OUCH ...

too bad they did not included all of the japan downloads on a cart and make it a special ed for 49.99 or 59.99

said there will be tons of DLC on this game and thought neat... until i looked at japan and saw them charge 2 to 3 bucks per map OUCH ...

too bad they did not included all of the japan downloads on a cart and make it a special ed for 49.99 or 59.99

[quote name='slidecage']said there will be tons of DLC on this game and thought neat... until i looked at japan and saw them charge 2 to 3 bucks per map OUCH ...

too bad they did not included all of the japan downloads on a cart and make it a special ed for 49.99 or 59.99[/QUOTE]

How many maps are they selling on there ?

This might be the one other 3DS game I pay full retail for (the first was a first run copy of Tales of the Abyss, after I was told they wouldn't be reprinting it).

Not sure if the art book is enough to make me spend money at Gamestop though.

[quote name='mweav067']This might be the one other 3DS game I pay full retail for (the first was a first run copy of Tales of the Abyss, after I was told they wouldn't be reprinting it).

Not sure if the art book is enough to make me spend money at Gamestop though.[/QUOTE]

That's my big dilemma right now. I don't spend money at GS unless it's an exclusive. And I do want that art book.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Best part is that he seems to be at every Gamestop when I go, no matter which location or what time I try (and there's four nearby). Seriously, I even went to this particular Gamestop because I'd never seen him there and thought I could escape him. The world is cruel.[/QUOTE]
He doesn't actually work at Gamestop, he just follows you around with a GS shirt on.

[quote name='confoosious']That's my big dilemma right now. I don't spend money at GS unless it's an exclusive. And I do want that art book.[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying Shadow Dragon at GS for the art cell.

Mainly it boils down to if I'm paying full retail for it, I might as well get a bonus.

I stopped giving Gamestop the time of day after the Pokemon Conquest and Kid Icarus debacles. I'll wander in if I'm looking for something used at a decent price, but even then they're used prices have gotten ridiculous.

What is the likelihood of Fire Emblem Awakening getting re-released to stores? I did not expect this game to sellout this fast.

Its supposed to have more copies in a month or 2 according to a GS employee, at least over here. But its possible it might not come back in stock at all, though I would not expect that to happen.

There was one guy who was a real jerk working around here, he knew that I was only bargain hunting so he had a vengeance for me or something, but I caught him working in a store much further away than the ones I usually go to so my stores are pretty cool now. And I personally know the manager of the one store I usually pre-order at, which means my bonuses don't get stolen or given out to other customers etc.

GS never got my preorder in, game or art book. The manager and clerk seemed legitimately sorry. They said they had 12 preorders and got 2 games and 2 books. Manager refunded me and was extremely apologetic. He offered me $30 in store credit to my PUR card. I told him that wasn't necessary. It wasn't his fault anyway. But he insisted and I wasn't going to fight free store credit.

He checked the computer for other stores with stock, but nothing. He then pulled out his personal ipad and did a site to store search on best buy's website. There was one store that had it available. He let me use his ipad to order the game for in store pick up. I had a $25 best buy gift card in my wallet so I put that towards it. I just got the ready for pickup email so I'll be heading over soon to pick it up. After my gift card, it's only costing me $19.xx for it. So no art book for me, but $20 games and $30 GS credit isn't a bad way got a botched preorder to turn out.

I just hope the GS I was in wasn't getting mystery shopped while I was there, I could see corporate getting pissy about him letting me buy from the competition inside the store.

Why is this game selling for so much? I'm seeing copies go for $50+.

I get it's sold out now, but it's gonna be in stock everywhere in a few weeks, isn't it?

[quote name='Vinny']Why is this game selling for so much? I'm seeing copies go for $50+.

I get it's sold out now, but it's gonna be in stock everywhere in a few weeks, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Scalpers gonna scalp, collectors gonna collect.

Can anyone post pictures of what's inside the book? Is it a real book or one of those pamphlet type things like Best Buy had with Max Payne 3?

[quote name='mweav067']I ended up buying Shadow Dragon at GS for the art cell.

Mainly it boils down to if I'm paying full retail for it, I might as well get a bonus.

I stopped giving Gamestop the time of day after the Pokemon Conquest and Kid Icarus debacles. I'll wander in if I'm looking for something used at a decent price, but even then they're used prices have gotten ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

What was the issue with kid Icarus and Pokemon at GS?

[quote name='Twitter']Can anyone post pictures of what's inside the book? Is it a real book or one of those pamphlet type things like Best Buy had with Max Payne 3?[/QUOTE]

Its an 8x6 embossed, glossy artbook exactly like the one given out with XenoBlade.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']What was the issue with kid Icarus and Pokemon at GS?[/QUOTE]

Conquest was a shortage at every store for about 2 weeks. Dunno about kid Icarus. I got my copy preordered without a problem.

Damn, I almost ordered one site-to-store at Best Buy on Thursday or Friday but didn't jump on it yet. I guess now it's gone. I have a $20 cert that expires in 2 weeks too, so if they don't get more by then, I guess I'll have to pick up...a steam wallet code or something?

bread's done
Back