Pretty interesting news story on the cost of colleges on FoxNews right now.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']They have said the cost of tuition in comparison to other costs (consumer inflation) has gone up 500%.[/QUOTE]

yea I agree......... I finished school at the end of 2000......... I RETURNED to school Spring of this year at ODU here in NoVA............ $850 a class because i'm a graduate student, while under grads taking the same class pay less......WTF?!?!?!

Yea thats nothing, but thats a lot for someone who is just taking a few classes to meet the state requirements so i can teach, but you know what? fuck this too much money and the county only pays me like $6XX a YEAR for a class!!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']yea I agree......... I finished school at the end of 2000......... I RETURNED to school Spring of this year at ODU here in NoVA............ $850 a class because i'm a graduate student, while under grads taking the same class pay less......WTF?!?!?!

Yea thats nothing, but thats a lot for someone who is just taking a few classes to meet the state requirements so i can teach, but you know what? fuck this too much money and the county only pays me like $6XX a YEAR for a class!!![/quote]

Tell me about it. I graduated from ODU myself (via the Teletechnet program). I was considering going even further into debt to get a Master's degree, but now I don't know what I'll do especially since I still don't have a job.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Tell me about it. I graduated from ODU myself (via the Teletechnet program). I was considering going even further into debt to get a Master's degree, but now I don't know what I'll do especially since I still don't have a job.[/quote]

And the damnest thing about it, you almost need a masters degree to get an entry level job.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Tell me about it. I graduated from ODU myself (via the Teletechnet program). I was considering going even further into debt to get a Master's degree, but now I don't know what I'll do especially since I still don't have a job.[/QUOTE]

its kinda cool doing the teletechnet ... my first class lasted til april (started jan) and my second class lasted only 6 weeks, but it was twice a week over in Sterling. Not too bad, but since its been years since I have taken tests and studied and so on, im a little rusty (got a C in child psychology)

[quote name='maddfrog']And the damnest thing about it, you almost need a masters degree to get an entry level job.[/quote]

It wasn't that long ago when a Bachelor's was the main key to get a foot in the door. Either that or a network of individuals looking out for you (I wish i could have afforded to go away to college and maybe find a fraternity to join).

For a lack of a better term, it's pretty fucked up IMO.

[quote name='maddfrog']And the damnest thing about it, you almost need a masters degree to get an entry level job.[/QUOTE]

not for gamestop lol.

doesn't matter if you have a PHD.... I know a lot of former classmates who got there masters degree in our field (computer animation) while some of us left with our BFA.. and guess what? WE STILL Don'T HAVE JOBS IN OUR FIELDS... but i guess the masters people got the state requirements done so they can teach, which is a good backup plan..but since the school system HATES outsiders (meaning if you didn't go to college for an education degree, you can't be part of there club!), im fucked.

man, 500%? thats ridiculous. Luckily for me, I speak Arabic, so I'll be employed for life, college or not (but regardless, I plan to get a college education as soon as I graduate from HS).

[quote name='LiquidNight']man, 500%? thats ridiculous. Luckily for me, I speak Arabic, so I'll be employed for life, college or not (but regardless, I plan to get a college education as soon as I graduate from HS).[/QUOTE]

No offense, but what makes you say that speaking Arabic will guaranty employment for life? I speak Spanish, but does anyone give a hoot? nope

[quote name='ITDEFX']No offense, but what makes you say that speaking Arabic will guaranty employment for life? I speak Spanish, but does anyone give a hoot? nope[/quote]

Speaking more than one language is something a lot of employers seek.

Knowing how to speak Arabic is very helpful. There's no way someone can argue against that.

Anyway, I'm happy that I go to URI since in-state tuition is pretty cheap compared to a lot of other RI colleges.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Speaking more than one language is something a lot of employers seek.[/QUOTE]

that's what they all say, but to be honest I haven't seen a pay bonus for speaking it. That would be nice to have a few hundred extra bucks on my paychecks for speaking spanish..

I'll say this much, the community college route saved me a ton of cash. That girl in the story should have been more receptive to that, although I highly understand the desire to get out on your own.

[quote name='ITDEFX']that's what they all say, but to be honest I haven't seen a pay bonus for speaking it. That would be nice to have a few hundred extra bucks on my paychecks for speaking spanish..[/quote]

Probably no bonus, but a resume that says you can speak another language is one that probably won't get tossed aside as quickly in the initial hiring process. Spanish is highly desired in a lot of job fields, especially medical.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'll say this much, the community college route saved me a ton of cash. That girl in the story should have been more receptive to that, although I highly understand the desire to get out on your own.[/QUOTE]

I would take CC classes, but the classes I need by the state are not offered at NVCC (or NoVA) ....... Its nuts going back to school and working full time. Nothing like spending 7 hrs with kids then racing to report to class :(

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Probably no bonus, but a resume that says you can speak another language is one that probably won't get tossed aside as quickly in the initial hiring process. Spanish is highly desired in a lot of job fields, especially medical.[/QUOTE]

yea, but I don't want to be a doc, I just want to do graphic design or teach it :)

The tuition where I go went up 9.9% for three consecutive years, 2002-2005. It pretty much went up directly in proportion to a lot of education funding cuts from the state.

Those education funds from the state? Furloughed from the same federal government who was busy cutting taxes for the past 4 years.

I'm on a scholarship, so I don't feel the sting personally. I can't fathom if I had to pay this on my own, however.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I'm on a scholarship, so I don't feel the sting personally. I can't fathom if I had to pay this on my own, however.[/quote]

I can tell you exactly how it feels. The words "sucks" and "ass" come to mind.

you know I really can't believe they give out such things to jocks........ I can understand people from poor backgrounds getting them, because they shouldn't have to be held back from a good education because they are poor.

One more year until I could enter college so I guess the cost will be even greater than it is right now.

[quote name='ITDEFX']you know I really can't believe they give out such things to jocks........ I can understand people from poor backgrounds getting them, because they shouldn't have to be held back from a good education because they are poor.[/quote]

They bring a lot of money to schools (especially Division I Football and Basketball). There has always been minor controversy over the fact that these athletes generate millions in revenue for the schools but don't see a penny outside of the scholarships they get. It was a dream of mine to get a basketball scholarship but I just had too much trouble with my knee in CC, and going to three high schools really didn't help me stand out at all. I probably should have stuck with football in high school anyway.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I've thought about getting a masters, but is it really necessary with journalism?[/quote]

Do you have any internships lined up? It seems like with journalism or communications that if you get in the right situation that you really don't need to pursue further. For example, a lot of the personalities from ESPN only have a BS in communications or journalism and worked their way up via interships at college radio stations and such.

Yeah, I did an internship from January of this year until two weeks ago. I still write for them actually *cough*see link my sig*cough* as well as a few other random local music outlets.

[quote name='maddfrog']And the damnest thing about it, you almost need a masters degree to get an entry level job.[/quote]

What field are you talking about?

A bachelors in the right major, a high GPA, and a good suit will get you a job no problem. Of course, if you major in something like communications, sociology, or 16th century Romanian Literature then your job opportunities are going to be limited, but can you really act surprised.

I'm so glad I'm an only child and my dad makes a shitload of money compared to most people. I don't think I'll personally ever know how so many people struggle with paying for college, but it still disgusts me greatly.

[quote name='ITDEFX']No offense, but what makes you say that speaking Arabic will guaranty employment for life? I speak Spanish, but does anyone give a hoot? nope[/quote]there's always trouble bubbling in the Middle East, and I don't see any of the issues getting fixed any time soon, so that's one thing.
I intend to go into International Relations or Business, so the trouble in the Middle East is helpful for the relations path, if I take it. If I go business, Dubai is growing incredibly quickly and maybe other places in the Middle East will be better off by then.

and even if Arabic doesnt guarantee employment for life, I know English fluently, I'm studying Japanese and intend to take it into college,a and I'm taking a serious look at going to college at McGill in Montreal, and the majority of Montreal speaks French, which I'll need to learn to get by, so that'll be 4 languages under my belt.

[quote name='camoor']What field are you talking about?

A bachelors in the right major, a high GPA, and a good suit will get you a job no problem. .[/QUOTE]

not really no......... I have a BFA in my field like I mentioned, yet my field chances are slim because im up against either "its not what you know but who you know (or fucked)" OR Outsourced to Canada, European Countries, India, or anywhere else besides the good old US of A :( I found out awhile back some of my fellow classmates said they had to move to Europe JUST to do work for the US. :(

[quote name='camoor']What field are you talking about?

A bachelors in the right major, a high GPA, and a good suit will get you a job no problem. Of course, if you major in something like communications, sociology, or 16th century Romanian Literature then your job opportunities are going to be limited, but can you really act surprised.[/quote]

What kind of job do you have? The only degrees I have ever seen that are guaranteed to get you a job 100% of the time in what you study is nursing.

My sister and I have the same degree, Interdisciplinary Studies (Communications). She has gotten work in the library at the community college and is now teaching an Instructional Technology class in high school. I have never held a well paying job. Sometimes it takes being in the right place at the right time (something which I have little luck in).

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Sounds like a pretty good plan, Liquid.[/quote]thanks, I've put a lot of thought into it, can you tell?
it'll be great if I can pull it all off, the reason why I want to is because I love to travel and I love languages, and those fields offer plenty of chance to do just that.

[quote name='LiquidNight']thanks, I've put a lot of thought into it, can you tell?
it'll be great if I can pull it all off, the reason why I want to is because I love to travel and I love languages, and those fields offer plenty of chance to do just that.[/QUOTE]

Ha, yeah, I can tell. I can speak Italian and Spanish a bit, but I don't know how much that will help with a journalism degree. Unless I decide to write for an Italian mag or something.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']What kind of job do you have? The only degrees I have ever seen that are guaranteed to get you a job 100% of the time in what you study is nursing.

My sister and I have the same degree, Interdisciplinary Studies (Communications). She has gotten work in the library at the community college and is now teaching an Instructional Technology class in high school. I have never held a well paying job. Sometimes it takes being in the right place at the right time (something which I have little luck in).[/quote]

No field is 100% safe for getting a job - it's business, not a charity.

Once you get past that, a good field is technology - I'm telling you, these computing machines and the interweb are going to be the next big thing.

IMO communications is going to be a tough field, because everyone wants to be a radio DJ, ESPN anchor, or even TV news editor (one of my buddies does this - he's really talkented but had to work night shifts for several years because competition is so fierce). I hope you have better luck getting the job you want, but as you say it's a "right place, right time" situation.

I admit it - I considered 'supply and demand' when I chose my major, and I don't think it's a bad consideration when making a decision about majors.

For a very good explantion of the Boomerang Generation

To sum things up the Boomerang Generation applies to people born between 1977 and 1986. It applies to how when a person graduates college, because there isn't any jobs for that graduate so now we've forced to move back home. The article gives reason like outsourcing, and real wages have fallen over the last 20 years.

That describes me for almost a year after I graduated.

I know my field, journalism, is extremely tough, but I have some optimism. I'm thinking about possible PR work, too, for musicians, but we'll see if I really choose to go that route.

My friend got a full ride under a diversity scholarship. The catch? He's only 1/8th Native American. I kid you not.

Part of me is happy for him, part of me is disgusted.

[quote name='maddfrog']For a very good explantion of the Boomerang Generation

To sum things up the Boomerang Generation applies to people born between 1977 and 1986. It applies to how when a person graduates college, because there isn't any jobs for that graduate so now we've forced to move back home. The article gives reason like outsourcing, and real wages have fallen over the last 20 years.

That describes me for almost a year after I graduated.[/QUOTE]

hmm intresting... I always thought I was from the MTV generation (1977)

[quote name='camoor']No field is 100% safe for getting a job - it's business, not a charity.

Once you get past that, a good field is technology - I'm telling you, these computing machines and the interweb are going to be the next big thing.

IMO communications is going to be a tough field, because everyone wants to be a radio DJ, ESPN anchor, or even TV news editor (one of my buddies does this - he's really talkented but had to work night shifts for several years because competition is so fierce). I hope you have better luck getting the job you want, but as you say it's a "right place, right time" situation.

I admit it - I considered 'supply and demand' when I chose my major, and I don't think it's a bad consideration when making a decision about majors.[/QUOTE]

A TV show on FX Channel called 30 Days had a guy who LOST his computer programming due to OUTSOURCING went to India for 30 days to see what the fuck happened, and he gets placed in a telemarketing job, which is HUGE in India...if I understood the numbers correctly, I think he was making MORE over there then over here.... yet at the end , unlike most shows he doesn't really accept the loss of his job due to outsourcing. Outsourcing hurts americans period... does the big money making companies out there care? NOPE!
Working for retail or even my current position in the public school system DOES benifit from protection from outsourcing as you can't really ship the kids over to India to be educated.

[quote name='WinnieThePujols']My friend got a full ride under a diversity scholarship. The catch? He's only 1/8th Native American. I kid you not.

Part of me is happy for him, part of me is disgusted.[/QUOTE]

what does 1/8 Native American have ANYTHING to do with a scholarship? You know I might as well do that 100 dollar DNA test thing from National Geographic so it can tell me what I am made of, so I can places I'm X% (insert race) so I can get scholarships and get a better education then I did before.

[quote name='maddfrog']For a very good explantion of the Boomerang Generation

That describes me for almost a year after I graduated.[/QUOTE]

I was born in 87. Wewt! :lol:

This is my second year at a community college, and I believe the cost per credit hour went up around $5-$10 this year.
I got really good grades in high school, applied for every scholarship I could get my hands on, and got enough money to pay for my entire first year and about half of this year so I'm not 100% sure how much the credit hours were last year. I've been applying to a few new scholarships, but I haven't won anything yet.

I'm currently going through a 2 year program (LAN Management), but I'll have taken most of the credits for 2 other one year programs (PC Technician and Network Security), so I might stay for the next year or two and take those and maybe a few website design classes.

first off the rock music is just annoying

on a more serious note, I can't understand what is so hard about just going into a community college for 2 yrs and transfering to a university. I got accepted to many out of state schools, but passed and stayed here at UH (University of houston) and took my one year scholarship and went back to CC. Now I'm at my last year in cc and am also going part time at UH. my 6 hours at UH (university of houston) costs $2009.53 (books not included) while my cc costs $765 for 13 hours. I would stress to anyone on this form put your pride aside and go to a CC for a year or two. most of my CC professors are just as educated and demanding as college professors.

Another option you have is to go to school part time and work full time and if you are considered an independent by fasfa hence you'll get financial aid. the idea of being at a campus and deciding a school based on the memories that you can make their are just beyond me. Use gollege don't let college use you.

Both my nephews are 4 and less then 2 months old respectivly... I can't imagine what the average price for a master degree will be by the time they finish high school. My brother and his wife and putting money into some savings account to help lock down there tution, but to be honest, no one knows what they want to be when the finish high school..its too early to know. I mean they might grow up to be a cop or a lawyer or a doctor or whatever...or even join the service... you just don't know and the price of colleges will go up and the our salaries won't get any much bigger.

bread's done
Back