Prey: Xbox 360- $40+ shipping @ Play-Asia

Had a feeling this one would be region free--don't know why :)

I'm gameflying it though.... I'm sure others will snap this one up!

im still waiting for my overstock one to ship. maybe i should get this and cancel the other. how long does play-asia orders take to get to the us?

this would have been the deal I was waiting for but having an argument with a Gamestop employee got me the Collector's Edition for half price.

[quote name='orntar']im still waiting for my overstock one to ship. maybe i should get this and cancel the other. how long does play-asia orders take to get to the us?[/QUOTE]

When I ordered Far Cry, it took exaclty 8 days to get from there to NJ. Ordered on Friday, got it the next Saturday.

[quote name='happyloaf']How can I tell if a game is region free and also how to I play a region free game?[/QUOTE]

You need a region free version of Xbox360.. Just kidding! Any Xbox360 from anywhere can play the same game if the game is region free.

Most of the time, you wouldn't know if it is region free until somebody tried it and reported as region free game.

Dammit I guess I spent $30 more!!!

I figured this would be region free, but I wanted it right away and didn't want to take a chance on a non-collector's edition copy. Oh well, guess I'll just have to make up for it by getting MotoGP ;)

damn, now I have to buy it - DAMN YOU, OP!! :lol:

EDIT:
Just placed an order and I see LOTR:BFMEII for $39.90, but I can't tell if it's region free as well.

this would have been the deal I was waiting for but having an argument with a Gamestop employee got me the Collector's Edition for half price.

Just how heated did that argument get?

[quote name='-Never4ever-']damn, now I have to buy it - DAMN YOU, OP!! :lol:[/quote]

hey help a new cag out... what's OP stand for? I'm guessing something like "outstanding price"???:newbie:

[quote name='jollydwarf']this would have been the deal I was waiting for but having an argument with a Gamestop employee got me the Collector's Edition for half price.

Just how heated did that argument get?[/QUOTE]
From me, just a few laughs at the manager and employee's expense.

It was about 8:30 Tuesday night and I went to pick my Coll Ed that had reserved over a month ago. The employee tells me I only had the regular version reserved. I tell him very certainly that it wasn't and that I would still like the Coll Ed. From out of nowhere the Manager tells me that I'm lying and on the screen it says regular. I only argue for about 2 min. Then I say "You know what..........just return my $5. I'll go to GameRush and use some credit." The employee and Manager continue to argue about a bunch of shit for several more minutes while I sit back and laugh at both. The employee says "Damn, acting like a punk bitch over a game and shit." I speak a little more about how a "bitch" can't do his F'n job at a "Game" store. I mention how he should just do his job and STFU. He then steps to the far end of the counter, where it leads out to the store, and exclaims "You know what, fuck this job & fuck you too!" Of course I return the fuck You and a laugh and then proceed with a Thank You. Several actually. The manager knows the employee fucked up and sends him to the back, but the dumbass won't listen. He goes to the back for like 10 seconds while removing his nametag. Comes back out to floor and starts mumbling about how "a nigga will get his as beat over a game." I thank him again and then ignore him while still keeping an eye on the motherfucker.

By now I'm pissed but I'm amused at how stupid these 2 were acting, you know. Then the Manager returns my money while continuing to argue the whole time and slides the receipt to me and points repeatedly at how the receipt shows the regular version not the Coll Ed. I again explain how "I don't give a fuck what it says!" and how he handled the whole situation wrong. I leave, go home look through my old receipts and find the original. I call the manager back tell him I found my receipt and it shows Coll Ed. and laugh at him some more. He continues to argue, not once stopping to admit he was wrong. I tell him I'm calling Corp and he tells me "I don't care if you call George W. Bush!!" I reply how that wouldn't help since he has nothing to do with GS, "I'm calling your Distric Manager!" He let's loose. I tell him to STFU and hang up.

The next day I go to Gamestopfeedback.com fill everything out about how poor my shopping experience was. In the comments I put that I got cussed at and how I would call later in the afternoon to get into more detail. I get a call from the DM no more than 30 minutes later. I explain and she holds a copy for me at another store for half price.:lol:

[quote name='-Never4ever-']

EDIT:
Just placed an order and I see LOTR:BFMEII for $39.90, but I can't tell if it's region free as well.[/quote]

It states on the page that it only works for NTSC-J 360's for LOTR:BFMEII

[quote name='Santurio'] I tell him I'm calling Corp and he tells me "I don't care if you call George W. Bush!!" I reply how that wouldn't help since he has nothing to do with GS, "I'm calling your Distric Manager!" He let's loose. I tell him to STFU and hang up.

lol:[/QUOTE]

That's funny! I'm glad you get your game half price in the end. Those gamestop employees are a$$e$.

[quote name='Santurio']He then steps to the far end of the counter, where it leads out to the store, and exclaims "You know what, fuck this job & fuck you too!"[/QUOTE]
Did he look like this guy?
halfbaked4.jpg

[quote name='cleaver']Did he look like this guy?
halfbaked4.jpg
[/QUOTE]
That would have been hilarious. I would of been like "They killed Killer B!" "I'm out"

Sweet! Now if they would just add Chromehounds, I will be a very happy gamer. I would love to pick these up at the same time with the $5 off coupon.

Thanks for the info OP I am all over this one to help kill the summer dry spell

Cheapy do you have the referral prog from play asia setup for cag?

[quote name='MrX']Thanks for the info OP I am all over this one to help kill the summer dry spell

Cheapy do you have the referral prog from play asia setup for cag?[/quote]

Yes sir, order away from the link in the OP or on the front page. Thanks for asking!

Now before everyone takes advantage of this deal, be aware these Asia all-region versions are PAL, not NTSC. At least that's how my Tomb Raider was. Is this a big deal? Maybe, maybe not.

I searched for a good explanation/example of this and found this:

"What happens when I play a PAL game on an NTSC console and vice versa?''

NTSC is about 60 (actually 59.94) fields per second, 525 lines per frame
(each frame is 2 fields). PAL is 50 fields per second and 625 lines per
frame.

If you play a NTSC game on a PAL console and the game is not programmed to
notice what kind of console you're on, there are two effects: first, the
game's screen is squashed because the 525 lines fit on a narrower portion of
the screen, and second, the game runs about 17 percent slower _if_ the game's
timing depends on events that happen at a specified rate compared to the
frame. (Or if its timing depends on the current, but it probably won't,
because part of Japan is 50 hertz but 60 fields per second.)

The opposite happens in reverse: the screen is stretched out (and probably
rolls badly) and the game is too fast.

Here's another explanation:

Games created for this region are noted for having framerates inferior to their NTSC counterparts due to the 17.5% difference in speed between PAL and NTSC. This makes PAL signals less smooth, however PAL has a larger resolution and less distortion of colour palette than NTSC.

During the sixth generation of consoles developers began to produce PAL60 modes in their games. Games that run at PAL60 are produced with the same encoding system as 50Hz PAL signals, but run at the NTSC framerate of 60.

Now, I can't confirm or deny that the PAL Tomb Raider I was playing was at 50 or 60Hz, but I can confirm the Live menu scrolls very choppy, as if VSYNC is off. I have my Xbox 360 set to 720p, and the game screen is not squished as in the earlier examples.

So just a word of warning - some of these games are very twich-based, and timing is very important. If the game is indeed in 50Hz, it might cause for some frustrating gaming.

Jeremy

I bought Hitman which said PAL on the box and worked perfectly on my NTSC TV. In fact, I just finished the game about 10 minutes ago. Yipee for me.

It seems hard to believe that that the US version would look or play any different than the Asian version.

[quote name='CheapyD']I bought Hitman which said PAL on the box and worked perfectly on my NTSC TV. In fact, I just finished the game about 10 minutes ago. Yipee for me.

It seems hard to believe that that the US version would look or play any different than the Asian version.[/quote]
If the game was PAL only, it would not work on an NTSC television. This is usually the cause for European launches being delayed as they have to convert the engine to run in that mode. The games on Play-asia list both modes so they have PAL and NTSC modes out of the box.

I'll probably pick this up when i get paid. I can finish the single player and trade it in for around $30 in credit, paying not much more than a rental. I dunno though, hearing the single player is so short and i have no broadband.. maybe i should just save my money for disgaea 2.

What does the collector's edition include? A making of DVD or something? If that's what it is it must have like a 6 day long running time.

[quote name='paddlefoot']What does the collector's edition include? A making of DVD or something? If that's what it is it must have like a 6 day long running time.[/QUOTE]
Art book, 2 pewter figures, some code for a music download, and a cool box.

[quote name='CheapyD']Damn...do I pull the trigger on this or not?[/QUOTE]

I've been kinda pimpin' this game for a while, but now that I've played about half the single player and a couple of hours of mp, I really do enjoy it. If you like Doom3, it's definitely better than that. It's the gaming equivalent to a summer popcorn flick. The puzzles offer some nice change in pace, and the action is pretty fun. Multi-player is tons of fun, with 6 people or so to avoid lag. Do I see myself playing this in 3 or 4 months? No. Will it put a smile on your face for the next month or so. Probably... I picked mine up at BB with a GGC and about $20 in RZ stuff. For the $35 I paid, it's well worth it. Maybe steep at $60. But I would recommend it at the $40 price tag. I think Teamxbox's review is closest to the mark IMO. Check it out if you're on the fence.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']damn, now I have to buy it - DAMN YOU, OP!! :lol:

EDIT:
Just placed an order and I see LOTR:BFMEII for $39.90, but I can't tell if it's region free as well.[/quote]

No EA games make sure to Make Japan NTSC which means not playing NA consoles :(

[quote name='jrutz']Now before everyone takes advantage of this deal, be aware these Asia all-region versions are PAL, not NTSC. At least that's how my Tomb Raider was. Is this a big deal? Maybe, maybe not.

I searched for a good explanation/example of this and found this:

Here's another explanation:

Now, I can't confirm or deny that the PAL Tomb Raider I was playing was at 50 or 60Hz, but I can confirm the Live menu scrolls very choppy, as if VSYNC is off. I have my Xbox 360 set to 720p, and the game screen is not squished as in the earlier examples.

So just a word of warning - some of these games are very twich-based, and timing is very important. If the game is indeed in 50Hz, it might cause for some frustrating gaming.

Jeremy[/quote]

Well at Least the Hitman I bought from there says PAL 60 so its no different also says on PA site it works with any all region.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It states on the page that it only works for NTSC-J 360's for LOTR:BFMEII[/quote]Damn, and that's the only 360 game I want right now. I guess I'll just wait for the US version to get a price drop.

okay, this is strange. I've ordered Hitman and it shipped out on the 10th. Hasn't arrived yet...strange because I've ordered MotoGP 06 the first time I used them and it took 8 days (counting from when it shipped out).

Anyone in California ordered from them? If so, how many days did it took? I'm being patient here but I'm going to be concerned if it doesn't come by the end of the week.

[quote name='spydey']Ok, I got mine in today, and it works great. Just letting those know who might be wondering.[/QUOTE]

Was about to post the same thing :)

Got it today, works great :)

Cant stop playing Chromehounds tho :)

bread's done
Back