Problem when using HDTV as second monitor.

AlphaPanda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have my HDTV hooked up as a 2nd monitor via a DVI-to-HDMI-adapter connected to my Geforce 8600 GT. Now, using an HDMI cable to hook my TV into the card is peachy. The display's fine, yada yada. The problem is that whenever I turn my PC off for the night, it doesn't start up properly if the adapter is still connected to the card. The computer will turn on, the HP:Invent screen will display on the LCD monitor, and then the LCD monitor goes black and the status light turns yellow. It doesn't fix itself, everything's just black. When I have to force-shutdown the computer, instead of the delay for it to turn off, it just immediately turns off within half a second.

I then have to disconnect the adapter from the card, turn on the computer (which now starts up fine since the adapter isn't connected), and then plug the adapter back in. That process is a pain in the ass, since this is my setup:
2s9df1h.jpg

Just imagine the Bad Company 2 screen as a PC display. Having to reach behind the computer to plug the adapter in is a complete pain in the ass. Is this a driver issue? Is there something I can download to fix it? I figured maybe on startup it doesn't recognize the adapter as a display, or WHATEVER it is, which pisses something off and halts the startup.

I'm hoping someone out there is a computer expert or knowledgeable and can help me out with this. If you don't know the answer, but know someone that might, please ask them.

What is your HDTV doing while all of this is going on? Do you have it turned on when you boot?

In general, it sounds like when booting, the PC "sees" something connected to the second DVI and decides to make that the primary display.

What kind of outputs does your video card have? 2 DVI? If so, try putting your primary monitor on the other DVI (where the HDTV is now).

I almost have the same set up. Doesn't your 8600 GT have a HDMI slot?

On mine I have the HDTV (listed as the primary monitor) hooked up via HDMI and my computer monitor hooked up via DVI with no issue.

I'm guessing that the DVI->HDMI adapter is causing some type of error.

[quote name='m6oo']What is your HDTV doing while all of this is going on? Do you have it turned on when you boot?

In general, it sounds like when booting, the PC "sees" something connected to the second DVI and decides to make that the primary display.[/QUOTE]
This. Make sure both displays are on when you boot, then just make the adjustments you need in the display options.

Sometimes the LCD monitor displays the splash screen, and sometimes if the HDTV is on it displays the splash screen, but then it just...stops starting up.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Sometimes the LCD monitor displays the splash screen, and sometimes if the HDTV is on it displays the splash screen, but then it just...stops starting up.[/QUOTE]

Huh...I think to sort this out, you are going to have to start trying different combinations of things to try to isolate what the issue is. Unfortunately, that probably means having to have access to extra monitors, cables and such that you probably don't have.

Will it start with just the monitor hooked up? In either port?
Will it start with just the HDTV hooked up? In either port?

Update: Just restarted my computer for the first time in a long while. When the HDTV is turned off, the LCD monitor doesn't do anything. Yellow status light on the power button, no continuation. When the HDTV is on, it displays on the HP:Invent splash screen on the HDTV and then...nothing happens. So basically, it's using the HDTV for the splash screen in both events and in both events it doesn't make any progress.

I'll be honest, I'm a little afraid to run trial-and-error with different combinations. Each time it stops working, having to force-restart it and having it immediately turn off is unnerving. I feel like I'm breaking something.

bread's done
Back