Problem with PS3 HDD...Should I be considering upgrading?

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So about a month ago, I started to notice my PS3 making a sort of 'click' noise on occasion. It didn't bother me too much, but it started making it more and more often. Upon further inspection, I believe that the noise is being made by the HDD. It does it randomly, yet under certain circumstances does it consistently. I've heard it seconds after powering on when I'm just on the menu and I've heard it during loading screens when playing random games. It also ALWAYS does it in between MP matches in Battlefield 3. It's not that big of an issue, but when I googled it, the term "Hard drive click of death" came up a few times. Heres basically the exact noise I'm hearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7c7AP1JBQ

Should I be looking into upgrading my HDD? I'm not sure if the noise is normal or if it's a warning that the HDD is about to die. I did notice some lag when I was playing Borderlands the other day....specifically the expansions. Since I was playing solo and the expansions are played fully off the HDD, it made me wonder if my HDD was dying. The PS3 is a 160GB slim that I picked up about 8 months ago. Thanks in advance for any advice.

That's definitely abnormal so you should definitely consider replacing that HDD before it's too late . Make sure to back everything worth backing up before swapping drives.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Guess I'll just wait and see if HDD prices go down before I do anything. They're pretty pricey from what I saw.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that may be a while, which really sucks...I work in the IT dept at my job and it's killing us ordering internal HDDs for our units. They claimed the spike was from some flood that hit a major manufacturing plant in Thailand. Just crappy, because the Ps3 takes a 2.5" Sata II notebook HDD. I purchased one from amazon last year for 53 bucks and checked back and It's now 130.00.

[quote name='headbanger1186']Unfortunately that may be a while, which really sucks...I work in the IT dept at my job and it's killing us ordering internal HDDs for our units. They claimed the spike was from some flood that hit a major manufacturing plant in Thailand. Just crappy, because the Ps3 takes a 2.5" Sata II notebook HDD. I purchased one from amazon last year for 53 bucks and checked back and It's now 130.00.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I was eying a 2TB HD for my desktop and saw the prices were hitting about $70 during summer and figured I could snag a good one during BF. Now those same HDs are averaging $200 and the lowest I've seen since the flood was $150.

OP, your best best might be to get a refurb 120GB Xbox 360 HD (the ones for the old XB) from GS if you're desperate. Inside is a regular 2.5" SATA drive, usually a 7200RPM which faster and performs a bit better than the standard 5400RPM Sony uses). They're currently $25. You can open them up if you have a Torx 6 and a Torx 10 bit.

Clicking is usually a good indication that the HD is about to die.

Went ahead and picked up this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152209

The smallest and cheapest laptop hard drive was $79 for 160gb @.@. Figured for an extra $10 I can get more than double the storage. I hope the clicking does turn out to be the bad hard drive (I'm about 99% sure that it is since I don't think the only other noise making parts of a PS3 - bluray drive and fans - are even possible of reproducing the clicking noise thats in the video). If I put in this new one and it still clicks, I'm going to have a shit fit.

bread's done
Back