PS+ required for online multiplayer PS4

FooFencer

CAGiversary!
Anyone catch that?  Looked like he was trying to dance around it, but from what he said PS+ will be required to play multiplayer games on PS4 just like Xbox Live.  As someone with PS+ it doesn't bother me all that much, especially since you will pay one price to have Plus on all 3 platforms (PS3, Vita, and PS4).  Still worth nothing since I'm sure many won't be happy about it.  I've definitely gotten a lot out of Plus since I got it a few months ago.

Confirmation now on IGN

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

Last edited by a moderator:
While I've used plus and now its a requirement to use it the better have dedicated servers and not laggy online or else I won't game online after ps3
While I've used plus and now its a requirement to use it the better have dedicated servers and not laggy online or else I won't game online after ps3

As someone who has never payed for Xbox Live Gold, I'm ok with this. Hopefully this helps to better their online infrastructure.

The fact that the console is only $399 will certainly help some people make the transition.  Hopefully it won't be a major negative for gamers, especially since it doesn't look like Sony will have the same used game restrictions as Microsoft.  As someone with a PS3 and Vita, it would be foolish for me to abandon plus at this point anyway.

Only downside that I can see with the console, but I'm already a PS+ member and the benefits already outweigh the negatives of the program.

I'm fine with it. I'm already paying more than that for Xbox Gold.

PS4:

+ No restrictions

+ Cheaper

XBone:

+ Killer Instinct
- Tons of confusing, pointless and obnoxious restrictions

-  More expensive

Easy choice for me.

I own over 150 Xbox 360 games, with the majority being purchased brand new. I will not buy and Xbox One unless I can get it for like $50... just to play Killer Instinct.

Does anyone know with a PS Plus subscription does that let everyone (or more than just me) in my house game online? I hope it lets anyone using the system game online with their own account.

Does anyone know with a PS Plus subscription does that let everyone (or more than just me) in my house game online? I hope it lets anyone using the system game online with their own account.
Any game that you get for "free" with Playstation Plus is linked to your account, I do believe.... and it would only work for other people if they were using the same account. It's a flat price for one account... although I'd imagine they'll eventually start doing famiyl bundle deals with all the oodles of gamers switching from the 360.

If you have PS and an internet connection for it there is no reason to spend the $40 on a year of PS+. It is easily the best money I ever spent on video games.

I thought I was the only one who caught that.  

In hindsight, it was only a matter of time.  Not to mention the fact that Microsoft proved people would be willing to pay for online multiplayer.  All in all, this is a small price to pay for everything else that you'll get with a PS4.

I don't think it's all that bad. PS+ is already an amazing service, and the games you get from the IGC pay the membership in like a month or two. Not to mention, now Sony has cross game chat (aka Xbox Live Parties). 

Also, it's $10 cheaper than a year of Live. 

I don't know in regards to playing online on the PS4, but currently, if you download a free game from PS Plus and someone else logs into their account on the same PS3, they can also play that free game. Same thing if someone logs into your account on another PS3, as long as they don't delete the account that downloaded the free game.

I thought I was the only one who caught that.

In hindsight, it was only a matter of time. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft proved people would be willing to pay for online multiplayer. All in all, this is a small price to pay for everything else that you'll get with a PS4.
Nah, I think a ton of people caught it because there was a deafening silence in the crowd after Jack read off that last bullet point. I caught it for sure and then missed what he said next because he stumbled a bit on the wording and I wasn't paying attention due to pondering if I'd pay for PS+ at this point. I don't do a lot of MP on PS3 other than asynchronous, like in Dragon's Dogma, but I do love my cloud saves.

I'm hopeful that you wouldn't need PS+ for games that utilize servers asynchronously for online, like Dark Souls also, but you never know.

I bought Ps3 from Launch because you didn't have to pay to play multiplayer like xbox 360 with xbox live. Can't believe sony is going to do this they maintained the Playstation Servers for 7 Years with Playstation Store purchases and hardware sales. $50 a year comes to $4.16 month which is not bad but that is such a scam trying to milk the money now.

I bought Ps3 from Launch because you didn't have to pay to play multiplayer like xbox 360 with xbox live. Can't believe sony is going to do this they maintained the Playstation Servers for 7 Years with Playstation Store purchases and hardware sales. $50 a year comes to $4.16 month which is not bad but that is such a scam trying to milk the money now.
lol man stop bitching you said it your self 4.16 a month plus your getting storage, betas, and free games.

it was bound to happen.

If Microsoft had announced that XBox Live would be free on the XBox One, or at least made a price cut for XBox Live, this would have stung more. Given everything else that has happened with the PS4 and XBox One, this is a drop in the bucket. The PS4's no on-line required DRM and trade-as-you-please policies easily make up for this negative point.

I won't try to defend this move. It is definitely a negative, and will require consumers to pay, where previously they didn't. They may lose some customers over this. But I don't think they'll suffer too badly from the backlash. Thanks to Microsoft's blunders their on-line strategy is still competitive.

I was thinking the same, but then came to the conclusion that it sort of pays for itself with the free games and perks they drop every month. Right now i'm paying for live, and what am I really getting out of that besides being able to play with my friends. Hardly anything.

I've been a diehard 360 fan and i'm staying away from Xbox1 for a good while if I even get one at all. With "over 100 games" coming for 360 i'll be sitting on that for quite some time.

lol man stop bitching you said it your self 4.16 a month plus your getting storage, betas, and free games.

it was bound to happen.
Yeah but the point in buying Playstation Over Xbox 360 was didn't have to pay to play multiplayer. I already built a gaming PC and was thinking about buying a PS4 but i don't want to have to buy Playstation Plus when i want to play multiplayer.

Current Prices for Xbox Live 12 month gold is about $35 on sales

Current Price for PS+ 1 Year is $50 they never have sales on this.

Disappointed in Sony for doing this. Plus was already a compelling product and I think putting up a paywall only cheapens it some. Plus I hope the plus offerings don't suffer because they know people will buy it for the multiplayer.

it was bound to happen.
Yeah but the point in buying Playstation Over Xbox 360 was didn't have to pay to play multiplayer. I already built a gaming PC and was thinking about buying a PS4 but i don't want to have to buy Playstation Plus when i want to play multiplayer.

fyi: Sony has done sales where you can get a 10$ PSN credit if you spend 50$, they do that once or twice a year and you can buy plus right on PSN. So basically it's pretty easy to get for 40$.

it was bound to happen.

its 40 at best buy now lol

I don't like PS+ being mandatory for multiplayer. But it's not that bad because on its own it was a good deal. You get deals, for ps3, vita and now ps4 games. People are willing to pay for Xbox live, as a result sony had to utilize that business model as well; that was too much money for Sony to leave on the table. Sony is banking on that ps plus revenue....which is why ps4 is 399 and not 499.

If it was paying for just multi-player I would be upset, but they have added a LOT of value to PS+ that more than makes up for the 4.16/month (or even less 3.33/month if you get PS+ on sale right now at bestbuy.com) 

Unless they change the age requirement for PS+, I don't see how it could be anything other than everyone on the console gets online access. Because you have to 18 (or something) to sign up for PS+. That would eliminate anyone under the age of 18 from playing online. That's not going to happen. So I'm calling it - everybody on the same console gets access. A bigger question is what if you have more than one console? Not that I'd have two PS4s any time soon, but right now I have two 360s. Once the PS4 is $200 I probably would end up with two PS4s.

One thing is they need to greatly improve their online experience over the PS3. If you're paying for online, then it's got have everything the 360/One has (minus the bad stuff) at the very least. They didn't show anything of that, so right now we just hope they've made improvements.

One thing is they need to greatly improve their online experience over the PS3. If you're paying for online, then it's got have everything the 360/One has (minus the bad stuff) at the very least. They didn't show anything of that, so right now we just hope they've made improvements.
I don't own a 360, so I'm asking honestly, what is it that the 360 has that makes its online so superior to PS3s? I honestly don't know. I think it's mostly with regards to cross-chat etc. right?

I've never had live gold either but what I understand is their servers are faster and I can believe it just from experience with the PS store.  That thing can crawl and is generally slow as an app anyway.  I have a feeling PS4 will be a much better experience in that regard due to expanded hardware limitations.

i have no problem with this, it was bound to happen with the success with xbox live. I just would not participate/ purchase ps +, because i do not game nearly enough online to warrent the purchase of it. I do not like like digital games, because of the lack of trade in options, and the cost of digital is not always cheaper than physical games. As well as the taking up space, especially with the size of patches for games these days. It can fill up fast.

I don't know. Does anyone with PSN+ know the answer?

I think you can beacuse you can use cloud saves to transfer your save files for when you play at a friend's house. So you'd need to be able to access/use your PSN+ at a friend's house in order to do this.

What I don't think you can do is have one PSN+ account logged in at the same time at two locations.

But again, I'm not sure about these facets.

Well, at least this is good news.

http://i.imgur.com/mC3YxQU.jpg

One PSN+ account on your system will let other users play online. So even when Sony pulls an MS, they don't go full greedtard (... sorry).
but would your account on somone elses ps4 work that doesnt have plus?
The parent account would work, so whichever PS+ is active for would. And that account would be registered to a single PS4 to grant child accounts access ot PS+, so you couldn't just lend out your PS+ account to friends and have it work the same way. That's how I'd imagine it works.

I'm hopeful that you wouldn't need PS+ for games that utilize servers asynchronously for online, like Dark Souls also, but you never know.
Answering my own question:

"While direct competition in real time won’t be possible [without PS Plus] for instance in the case of DriveClub, asynchronous online gameplay and receiving data from other players will still be free of charge."

Additionally for MMOs:

"You will need it to enjoy online multiplayer.
This will also depend on the judgement by the publishers, and there will be some free to play titles that you’ll be able to play without needing a PS Plus subscription, like PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online."

Sony just continues to dominate every topic at hand and does it right. If ever there were an official system for gamers this gen, it's PS4.

bread's done
Back