PS Vita $199 at Best Buy (and Amazon)

As oppose to being 2013 and using a single analog stick, right?
Are you 12? This is lamest argument anyone has ever used against the 3DS. Hell, even NeoGAF gave up on using that once the Vita hit and was a failure.

Do not buy a Vita right now. Come Christmas holiday stores will practically be giving them away to get rid of dead stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearing inventory? Funny. Most best buys don't have more than 2 vita on hand as is. This is most likely just a sale. Sony is announcing ps4 release info on August 20 so it may be likely it's a price drop.
That is just the inventory at retail. You also have to take into account there is probably a huge backlog of inventory back at Sony.

Are you 12? This is lamest argument anyone has ever used against the 3DS. Hell, even NeoGAF gave up on using that once the Vita hit and was a failure.

Do not buy a Vita right now. Come Christmas holiday stores will practically be giving them away to get rid of dead stock.
And you don't sound like your twelve either?

That is just the inventory at retail. You also have to take into account there is probably a huge backlog of inventory back at Sony.
Also take into account the Amazon BF sale last holiday season. That BF, almost anything that was a great deal related to gaming was a sony product.. Guessing they need to dump a whole bunch more this year.

Can't help but think that rumors of hardware revision are off base. Why launch a new bundle (Walking Dead) right as you announce new hardware? And new hardware should have leaked through regulatory filings or game sites before now.

I'm trying to save people money by telling them to avoid the Vita for now. You know, the whole point of this site.
It should be common knowledge here that there will be black friday deals regardless. If they want to buy a console let them.

I'm trying to save people money by telling them to avoid the Vita for now. You know, the whole point of this site.
Why not just trot over somewhere else to "try to save people money", because your advice here is worthless trolling. The Vita is an excellent system (I own two, one a launch 3G and the other a white ACL bundle) with enough great current (and past PSP) games to keep people playing for a long time. Don't spout about nonsense when you obviously have no clue at all.

Well am happy because today I finally brought a Vita :bouncy: People keep saying to wait for Black Friday but really how much lower can they be on sale once the PS4 comes out. Been more then a year since the Vita came out so I doubt they will go any lower then $150 this holiday season if at all.

Well am happy because today I finally brought a Vita :bouncy: People keep saying to wait for Black Friday but really how much lower can they be on sale once the PS4 comes out. Been more then a year since the Vita came out so I doubt they will go any lower then $150 this holiday season if at all.
Just enjoy it, grab some games from plus, it is going to be worth the price it will drop, assuming your backlog is not out of control.

If Sony would drop the price to $200 and throw in at least 8GB, I'm in. The only trick would be trying to fit in the portable time with my 3DS.

People keep saying to wait for Black Friday but really how much lower can they be on sale once the PS4 comes out. Been more then a year since the Vita came out so I doubt they will go any lower then $150 this holiday season if at all.
$150 exactly plus added games/bundles or the same $200 on a bundle with ps+, games and a gc promo. If they offered a $50, $75 or $100 gc on a $200 basic or bundle they'd sell like crazy since most would use the gc to reduce the 32gb mem card.
Having both a $150 basic & $200 bundle w/gc on bf would move major units.
I paid $190 last yr @ BB via $60 gamers club gc error so i'm happy either way but would upgrade to a newer model for the right price/bundle.

Nice price.  This would be very tempting now if the memory cards weren't so obnoxiously overpriced.  Like many others, I have lots of free Vita games saved up on PS+, but having to pay an additional $70+ just for the ability to play some of them sucks.

It's a lie. The proprietary memory is so that they can price gouge. It has nothing, or at most, 5% to do with piracy.
It has everything to do with piracy. Small volume production of proprietary cards isn't a huge profit driver for Sony. PSP and DS both had disgusting piracy rates, and the 3DS is about to run into the same problem as the first 3DS flash cart just hit the market. It's got some major limitations (doesn't handle save games gracefully), but Nintendo is going to take an attach rate hit going forward for sure.

The Vita's non-removable battery addresses one of the major lines or attack on the PSP. The tiny proprietary memory card means its impossible to use a DS/R5-style flash cart to attack the Vita and makes it hard to connect the card to a PC (no readers) to tinker with and hack.

It's a lie. The proprietary memory is so that they can price gouge. It has nothing, or at most, 5% to do with piracy.
While I do not like the card prices, but you should at least quote some technical proof about your statement.

From a CENG standpoint, proprietary memory cards are an efficient way to delay piracy (keyword being delay, seeing that homebrew systems has already surfaced). It will of course, also allow them to make more money.

I've never been much of a handheld gamer, but I have been interested in the Vita since it's launch. Honestly, is it really worth it?
It may be.....I'm not much of a vita gamer yet (bought a 3DS XL a year before I got my vita). Vita is becoming a better niche machine as time goes on if you're into those type of games. I mainly have mine for P4Golden (I'll get to it after i'm done with Shin Megami Tensei 4), and future niche games like Daganronpa, some curry dungeon crawler, monster hunter type game by the omega force team i believe Toukiden...though I'm not a fan of those type of games, Y's game, etc... I'm not a huge fan of what's out now though I just started Gravity Rush and it seems like fun. I say go into your local gamestop, look at the vita games that are physical releases, look at the playstation store for vita games and decide then. Also memory card prices are horrible. I don't really think it's an ultra strong system at the moment but once more niche games come out I believe it will be a better system then. Also it will help a lot when PS4 comes out for the connectivity there. For now my 3DS collection reigns supreme though the Vita has stronger graphics by a long shot.

It may be.....I'm not much of a vita gamer yet (bought a 3DS XL a year before I got my vita). Vita is becoming a better niche machine as time goes on if you're into those type of games. I mainly have mine for P4Golden (I'll get to it after i'm done with Shin Megami Tensei 4), and future niche games like Daganronpa, some curry dungeon crawler, monster hunter type game by the omega force team i believe Toukiden...though I'm not a fan of those type of games, Y's game, etc... I'm not a huge fan of what's out now though I just started Gravity Rush and it seems like fun. I say go into your local gamestop, look at the vita games that are physical releases, look at the playstation store for vita games and decide then. Also memory card prices are horrible. I don't really think it's an ultra strong system at the moment but once more niche games come out I believe it will be a better system then. Also it will help a lot when PS4 comes out for the connectivity there. For now my 3DS collection reigns supreme though the Vita has stronger graphics by a long shot.
Honestly, the only game that really interest me in Uncharted: Golden Abyss, being a huge fan of the series. But I suppose it isn't worth it for just one game. I appreciate the input though.

I don't have a Vita, but I periodically check Amazon to see if there are any games to tempt me.  There are actually quite a few games out there for the Vita.  People saying that the Vita has no games really need to take a look.

I put in an order to pick up a 3g/wifi vita this morning at a nearby Best Buy. I feel like it's worth it for all of the PS Plus games I have for it! I was thinking about getting the walking dead bundle but that comes with a 4 gig card instead of the 8.

It looks like they have a lot of the accessories on sale/clearance on the website as well. Maybe they are clearing room for a new version?

For anyone who is thinking about getting one at $200 but aren't sure, my Sony rep *strongly* implied either next week or in the following weeks that will be the new price.

If that is going to be the new price, then I'll probably just wait and get a used/refurbished one for even cheaper.

Later in the week I should be able to see if it will have a permanent markdown for next week (and if not next I'll keep an eye on it).

I think later in the week we'll all know because they'll announce it at gamescom tomorrow or Wednesday...

lol, they will probably announce a price cut to $200. 

If they actualy remake the vita, it will prob use a cheaper screen, instead of the oled screen, not bigger.

I love my Vita Btw

I don't have a Vita, but I periodically check Amazon to see if there are any games to tempt me. There are actually quite a few games out there for the Vita. People saying that the Vita has no games really need to take a look.
My Vita is full of games. I've been playing it all day. People need to realize that it is basically a digital system. Most games for it can be found on PSN since stores don't carry much.

Anyone buying one NEEDS to get PS+. Not only for the "free" games, but for the huge discounts on games in the PSN store.

Yeah that's why the memory card thing is such an issue for me, I realize one of the bundles comes with an 8g card but since the Vita's strength is as a digital platform that seems like it would be eaten up quickly, which makes one of the larger cards a virtual necessity, which jacks the price back up.

Yeah that's why the memory card thing is such an issue for me, I realize one of the bundles comes with an 8g card but since the Vita's strength is as a digital platform that seems like it would be eaten up quickly, which makes one of the larger cards a virtual necessity, which jacks the price back up.
I've had my Vita since launch with an 8gb and mainly buy physical games.

Will buy a 32gb eventually, but not required.

The next PSVita model will more likely be a PSVita XL. It will have a larger OLED screen by Samsung (6.3" compared to 5", but same resolution), onboard RAM increased to 1gb, and redesigned in line with PS4. It will also be backward compatible. There should be some sort of announcement in Sept, prior to the Tokyo Game Show convention.

If Sony adds a mini-hdmi port, I will upgrade, as well.
there are so many rumors as to what the 'new' vita might be, if there even is one.

i've heard:

1) cheaper version using LCD screen.

2) more expensive, bigger version

3) hdmi port

4) something ps4 remote play friendly

5) double ram (NOT for games, all games will use the existing amount of ram but newer ones will be able to do more in the OS)

and various combinations of the above

i don't see any of them being announced or released anytime soon, though.

$199 is a great price for the Vita. My favorite gaming device so far, ever.

its-a-trap-cat.gif

there are so many rumors as to what the 'new' vita might be, if there even is one.

i've heard:

1) cheaper version using LCD screen.

2) more expensive, bigger version

3) hdmi port

4) something ps4 remote play friendly

5) double ram (NOT for games, all games will use the existing amount of ram but newer ones will be able to do more in the OS)

and various combinations of the above

i don't see any of them being announced or released anytime soon, though.

Too bad that entire list is entire bullshit.

bread's done
Back