PS Vita 3G $199.99 with 2 free games AT&T 11/30

BloodiedWraith

CAGiversary!
Just as a heads up on 11/30 the PS Vita 3G is going on clearance at AT&T for $199.99 with choice of two free games while supplies last. Games are as follows:

Hot Shots Golf
Uncharted
Wipeout
MLB 12

One store near me had no Vitas, the other store insisted I needed a 2 year contract or whatnot, even though I told them no. Ho hum.

Can anybody who's received one confirm that the 8 FBI card is in box? I didn't get it added as an accessory and am hoping I didn't screw myself outta one.

[quote name='Mdesilva']Why would you get 2 MLBs? How can you sell it for more than you paid? It's worth $3 at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

It would be $230 if I didn't. You have to get 2 games.

I purchased the Vita bundle in store. I saw that the factory seal was cut and pointed it out to the employee. The employee told me that they open all of their products to check the contents because recently the UPS guys would give the store empty iPhone boxes. I thought to myself, "This place is just like GameStop". It didn't bother me as long as everything is brand new. But when I went home, I discovered that the Vita is used! It has finger prints and scratches all over the screen!

What should I do? I want to make a return or an exhange, but I think it might be complicated for a few reasons.
1) I can't really prove that I got a used Vita.
2) That was the last Vita. Can they let me exchange for a new one online?
3) There is a pink sticker on the box stating that there is a $35 restocking fee. I feel like I can't get around that, even though they made a mistake/ lied to me.
4) They didn't have Uncharted, so they ordered it online as a separate purchase of $0. Uncharted is not on the same receipt as the Vita. On the receipt, the Vita is listed at $199 and WipEout (my second free game) at $0, so I don't think it will be an issue.

[quote name='popular penguin']I purchased the Vita bundle in store. I saw that the factory seal was cut and pointed it out to the employee. The employee told me that they open all of their products to check the contents because recently the UPS guys would give the store empty iPhone boxes. I thought to myself, "This place is just like GameStop". It didn't bother me as long as everything is brand new. But when I went home, I discovered that the Vita is used! It has finger prints and scratches all over the screen!

What should I do? I want to make a return or an exhange, but I think it might be complicated for a few reasons.
3) There is a pink sticker on the box stating that there is a $35 restocking fee. I feel like I can't get around that, even though they made a mistake/ lied to me.
4) They didn't have Uncharted, so they ordered it online as a separate purchase of $0. Uncharted is not on the same receipt as the Vita. On the receipt, the Vita is listed at $199 and WipEout (my second free game) at $0, so I don't think it will be an issue.[/QUOTE]

I'd return it. It's their fault, they lied, and they should accept responsibility for that. I'd never accept an open handheld/console if it's supposed to be "new". Too much of a risk IMO, unless the price is drastically reduced.

Just explain that they sold you a used handheld, and get a refund if they don't have anymore units.

Has anybody been able to confirm that there is no data plan required when you buy in-store? I am considering trying to find a store with stock. But if I need a plan, I would arrogantly refuse this deal.

Also, what do you have to tell them in order to get the free games? It sounds like most employees don't know about this deal.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Has anybody been able to confirm that there is no data plan required when you buy in-store? I am considering trying to find a store with stock. But if I need a plan, I would arrogantly refuse this deal.

Also, what do you have to tell them in order to get the free games? It sounds like most employees don't know about this deal.[/QUOTE]

The store that I saw one in yesterday had one out on display, and a little card/stand that said it was on sale and also said 2 free games were included.

[quote name='popular penguin']I purchased the Vita bundle in store. I saw that the factory seal was cut and pointed it out to the employee. The employee told me that they open all of their products to check the contents because recently the UPS guys would give the store empty iPhone boxes. I thought to myself, "This place is just like GameStop". It didn't bother me as long as everything is brand new. But when I went home, I discovered that the Vita is used! It has finger prints and scratches all over the screen!

4) They didn't have Uncharted, so they ordered it online as a separate purchase of $0. Uncharted is not on the same receipt as the Vita. On the receipt, the Vita is listed at $199 and WipEout (my second free game) at $0, so I don't think it will be an issue.[/QUOTE]

I say just go in and tell them it was used and that you rather have them order you a new one, that's if you don't mind waiting for a new one.

There is also no restocking fee as long as you get the same product, so exchanging is fine. If you returned it completely, then there's the fee.

[quote name='MisterFleX']I say just go in and tell them it was used and that you rather have them order you a new one, that's if you don't mind waiting for a new one.

There is also no restocking fee as long as you get the same product, so exchanging is fine. If you returned it completely, then there's the fee.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he could probably get the restocking fee waived since they sold him a used product that was supposed to be new. It's their fault, not his, he didn't get what he paid for. Getting them to order a new one may be the best solution though.

[quote name='sunghost']I'm guessing he could probably get the restocking fee waived since they sold him a used product that was supposed to be new. It's their fault, not his, he didn't get what he paid for. Getting them to order a new one may be the best solution though.[/QUOTE]

He should be able to, but then they would have to get the manager involved since reps can't waive restocking fees without a manager's code. And on top of that, he might also have to return wipeout/cancel the order for uncharted. Exchanging would be the easiest option.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Has anybody been able to confirm that there is no data plan required when you buy in-store? I am considering trying to find a store with stock. But if I need a plan, I would arrogantly refuse this deal.

Also, what do you have to tell them in order to get the free games? It sounds like most employees don't know about this deal.[/QUOTE]

It has been confirmed and both OP and I can personally confirm it. If they force a data plan on you, you should ask to speak to the manager and ask them to look it up in the system (which covers everything about the sale). You can go far enough as to ask to see for yourself where it says it requires a data plan, but they might not let you see the sales page since it's internal and proprietary information. That would probably be the most direct way of getting around it.

So technically I could buys this online and terminate my service before 14 days and not get any ETF? No stores near me have the vita : /

I was concerned about the open box thing, but I watched some unboxing videos, and everything was packed exactly like a factory sealed unit, so I believe they really do just open it to check it's in there. Not bothering with a return. If popular penguin's has a scratched screen that of course is another matter.

I went back to At&t today to make the exchange. The employee that helped me yesterday was there, but he was helping another customer at the counter. While waiting in line, I believe the manager walked up to me with a tablet in hand and asked, "What are you here for?" I told him I was going to make an exchange because I was sold a used product. He replied, "I'm sorry to hear that," recorded my name on his tablet, and went to go see if he had anymore in stock. After searching for a few minutes, he told me that I have 2 options; he can have a new vita shipped to the store and I can pick it up the next day, or he can have it delivered to my house. I chose the first option because it would be faster. He told me that he will have it on hold under my name and I could pick it up around 2:00pm and make the exchange then. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

The stores in my market do not carry the Vita. Are you guys saying that I can go to a store and have them ring everything up to ship to me for the same price $160 with two MLB games?

I think they fixed the 160 price error. I got mine today and got a noob employee, didn't really want to cause trouble, just hated being intraffic yesterday for 2 hrs to be told the game discount wasn't effective in till the next day. well when's went today by total was 215 and the games packaged out correctly. to 0 both of them I mean. also she tried to push for the data plan but told her to read it again, and she still questioned it a but even with the manager there. I didn't tell her how to do things by she was really nice about everything. so thumbs up to Austin,TX att. (the one on hwy 290 west next to a Walmart , across the highway ISA best buy.)(they said they had six left) from the games I saw there left were uncharted mlb, wipeout, and that's it I think.

[quote name='Kash76']The stores in my market do not carry the Vita. Are you guys saying that I can go to a store and have them ring everything up to ship to me for the same price $160 with two MLB games?[/QUOTE]
You can have them order it online for you. Getting the $160 is YMMV. For me, the Vita rang up for $199 and the games were $0.

UPDATE ON USED VITA: I went back to the At&t store today. There was a new Vita under my name and I made the exchange without paying a restocking fee. Happy Ending!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to update this deal: I just checked AT&T.com and it is now showing 2 free games with the Vita. However, you cannot pick, it is automatically programmed to give you Hot Shots Golf & Wipeout. I wanted to get Wipeout & Uncharted, so I will probably still try to get it at a store. I chatted with an agent and they said you can cancel the monthly plan as soon as you receive the vita free of charge.

blah. This online agent I'm talking to is insisting I have to do a 2 year contract to get this. I could swear when the vita was announced they said it would only do data when you want it and wouldn't force you to sign a contract.

Picked it up today at a local at&t store... took a long while to explain to them what the deal was and that they had to scan a barcode they received for the games to ring up as 0.

Anyway, I sorted everything out eventually. $199.99 plus tax and a copy of wipeout and mlb 12 (they didn't have hot shots. ) The 8 gb memory was, to my surprise, inside the box as promised. The box itself was rather ragged looking, but everything inside was packed up neatly.

Unbelievable, but I got a 3G Vita and 2 games (HSG&MLB) for $100+tax today without signing up for a data plan or activating the system on At&T in store.

Check my twitter feed, @cagmanthing for pics of my receipt and the instore info card proving no data/activation is necessary

[quote name='manthing']Unbelievable, but I got a 3G Vita and 2 games (HSG&MLB) for $100+tax today without signing up for a data plan or activating the system on At&T in store.

Check my twitter feed, @cagmanthing for pics of my receipt and the instore info card proving no data/activation is necessary[/QUOTE]

Congrats

[quote name='Milkyman']so far i've seen two guys on slickdeals say they got the same 99 plus tax with no data plan[/QUOTE]

Yeah and one of them posted here. Going to try this tomorrow if they're open if not on Monday. I bet I will end up wasting my time as it seems like an employee error.

[quote name='manthing']Unbelievable, but I got a 3G Vita and 2 games (HSG&MLB) for $100+tax today without signing up for a data plan or activating the system on At&T in store.

Check my twitter feed, @cagmanthing for pics of my receipt and the instore info card proving no data/activation is necessary[/QUOTE]

You lucky motherfucker.

Where is the pic saying you don't need a data plan?

I just see a pic with the receipt, and a pic of the card in store, which doesn't say you don't need a data plan. It does say "no activation" required, as in an activation fee....

(1) Does the online deal require a 2 year plan (as it seems to suggest that)?

(2) How are people getting this for $100? I do not believe the AT&T store carries these here but I'd go check for that price.

I still might try this, but from what i read, 2 "new" developments:

1. The one guy on SD misread his receipt and it was actually 199, not the 99 he originally said...

2. the cashier (if they don't know what they are doing) will accidently put in the code to bring it down another $100 that they are only supposed to put in IF IT DOES NOT come down from the orig $299...

good luck guys!

I was able to get this today with no problem. The kid who was working didn't know about the deal but he asked the manager and he knew about it. Total cost with tax for me was $214.09 Good deal since I missed the BF deal.

Also online my stores showed OOS. So actually go to the store to inquire if you can.

Going to try in store tomorrow. I can still use Wi-Fi with this model, right? No interest in the 3G, want the 8GB card, missed the AC3:L bundle, want to play P4 and VRL, only have a few PSN games and plan to upgrade the card eventually (is there a way to transfer data from one card to another?). Will just trade in the two games and perhaps cash in some GS points for coupons off the games I want to cut the costs there.

Is this the 'best' deal we'll probably see on a Vita in a while? Memory on this system is a real killer.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Going to try in store tomorrow. I can still use Wi-Fi with this model, right? No interest in the 3G, want the 8GB card, missed the AC3:L bundle, want to play P4 and VRL, only have a few PSN games and plan to upgrade the card eventually (is there a way to transfer data from one card to another?). Will just trade in the two games and perhaps cash in some GS points for coupons off the games I want to cut the costs there.

Is this the 'best' deal we'll probably see on a Vita in a while? Memory on this system is a real killer.[/QUOTE]

Anyone?

[quote name='MisterFleX']Let me sum the deal up for everyone.

You do NOT need a 2 year agreement or activation to take advantage of the deal.

You can order the vita and have the deal if it is out of stock in store.

The vita will be $199 after mark down.

Games should be free with purchase. However, the barcode for the free games aren't working. What we have been doing is taking the additional cost of the games off the vita to even it out. If the rep takes off more than that, it's ymmv and you were very lucky.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='manthing']Unbelievable, but I got a 3G Vita and 2 games (HSG&MLB) for $100+tax today without signing up for a data plan or activating the system on At&T in store.[/QUOTE]

After reading about the $99 no activation required deal, I went to the closest AT&T store less than a mile away. It scanned at $199 and I didn't want to bother if it was going to be $160 as that's still out of my budget at the moment.

The AT&T employee did mention I was the first person to even inquire about a PS Vita so they probably have plenty in the back. Here's hoping after 12/31 it does go down to the magic price of $99.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Going to try in store tomorrow. I can still use Wi-Fi with this model, right? No interest in the 3G, want the 8GB card, missed the AC3:L bundle, want to play P4 and VRL, only have a few PSN games and plan to upgrade the card eventually (is there a way to transfer data from one card to another?). Will just trade in the two games and perhaps cash in some GS points for coupons off the games I want to cut the costs there.

Is this the 'best' deal we'll probably see on a Vita in a while? Memory on this system is a real killer.[/QUOTE]

On the box it is labeled 3G/Wi-Fi, so I doubt the 3G is a requirement.
I think you can transfer data from one card to another if you: 1) back it up on a PC or PS3. 2) change memory cards. 3) restore data back to your Vita. I never tried upgrading memory cards, so I'm not sure if this works.

[quote name='popular penguin']On the box it is labeled 3G/Wi-Fi, so I doubt the 3G is a requirement.
I think you can transfer data from one card to another if you: 1) back it up on a PC or PS3. 2) change memory cards. 3) restore data back to your Vita. I never tried upgrading memory cards, so I'm not sure if this works.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's what I figured about the Wi-Fi, but wanted to make sure. I'll look around for info about the save transfers.

I still don't completely understand how people are getting this for $99 or think it will be $99. Can someone explain?

[quote name='popular penguin']On the box it is labeled 3G/Wi-Fi, so I doubt the 3G is a requirement.
I think you can transfer data from one card to another if you: 1) back it up on a PC or PS3. 2) change memory cards. 3) restore data back to your Vita. I never tried upgrading memory cards, so I'm not sure if this works.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how it works. It's not very intuitive though. You have to install the software to the PC, which runs in the background. All of the data manipulation is done on the Vita. It's also fairly slow, and I was only backing up about 3 gigs of data.

MjC

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Thanks, that's what I figured about the Wi-Fi, but wanted to make sure. I'll look around for info about the save transfers.

I still don't completely understand how people are getting this for $99 or think it will be $99. Can someone explain?[/QUOTE]

My AT&T store offered me the $99 price with a 2 year contract. It depends on how your store is managed.

Damn, were all OOS around me except for one store. Thought I'd go there today, but I'm trying to search on the website and getting no results for the Vita or the $199 price. Anyone else having this problem?

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Damn, were all OOS around me except for one store. Thought I'd go there today, but I'm trying to search on the website and getting no results for the Vita or the $199 price. Anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]

The website's inventory checker is terribly inaccurate. Actually bother to call the stores in your area instead of being a shy neckbeard.

[quote name='Nintendonly']The website's inventory checker is terribly inaccurate. Actually bother to call the stores in your area instead of being a shy neckbeard.[/QUOTE]

No, I mean I called the stores yesterday and asked. All but one was out. They said they wouldn't hold it overnight, and now the website isn't showing the deal when I go on so I'm not sure it's worth making the drive out there if the $199 sale is over.

Thanks for being judgmental rather than offering any assistance though.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']No, I mean I called the stores yesterday and asked. All but one was out. They said they wouldn't hold it overnight, and now the website isn't showing the deal when I go on so I'm not sure it's worth making the drive out there if the $199 sale is over.

Thanks for being judgmental rather than offering any assistance though.[/QUOTE]

The website =/= the store. This is an in-store only deal and is not reflected by the website in any way. When you call up, make sure to actually mention to the employee that it's in their employee notification/email page and that they have to actually look for it. If they give you trouble, ask for a manager. If the person you speak to is already the manager, tell him you're going to speak to the district manager.

Thanks.

Though I'm not sure why when I checked the other day the 3G Vita was on the website with a crossed out $299 price replaced by a $199 price and mentioned the two free games. Seems to have completely disappeared.

Alright so I called and they're telling me it's only $199 if I sign up for a 1 year service plan or something. I know a bunch of people including AT&T employees on here have said this isn't the case. What do I need to tell them/refer to in order to get this without signing up for a data plan?

EDIT: Like they told me it's priced at $299, but if I sign up for the data plan I get a $100 credit back.

[quote name='TheCollegeGamer']Alright so I called and they're telling me it's only $199 if I sign up for a 1 year service plan or something. I know a bunch of people including AT&T employees on here have said this isn't the case. What do I need to tell them/refer to in order to get this without signing up for a data plan?

EDIT: Like they told me it's priced at $299, but if I sign up for the data plan I get a $100 credit back.[/QUOTE]
Once again, you have to insist that it's not with an agreement/contract/activation/etc. and that you'll have to speak to a manager, and if the manager gives you a hard time, you'll say that you're going to speak to a district manager and tell them that their employees don't know about their own deal.

Nintendonly is mostly correct with all of his responses (we aren't all vultures, lol). As for people getting offered the Vita for $99 with contract, there is a current promotion right now to get $100 off a tablet with a 2 year contract. They might just be applying that deal on top of the vita deal. Other than that, it might be an employee pricing error.

And again, as for employees saying a contract is required, they are wrong. They may either not know about the details of the deal, need the activation to hit their goals, or they are getting pressure from corporate to hit goals. It is a sales/quota based job, so it's no different than a Gamestop employee asking if you want to reserve a game. Just my 2 cents for our defense.

And I'm not saying anyone here is being a douche, but try to be nice to the reps that are helping you out. It's simple, treat others how you want to be treated. I know that I have also suggested that you speak to a manager if the rep doesn't know what is going on, but try not to give us a hard time. We deal with a lot of BS in and out and selling the Vita with this promotion doesn't making us (the reps) any money. This might be why some employees are firm on the data/contract requirement.

bread's done
Back