PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from a Target and was able to score a

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom - $19.99

It may not be the greatest price, but ever since the license experation the prices only been going up on these. Wasn't marked as clearance, but still YMMV.
Pricematched a copy of this at BBY to TigerDirect.com. They had it for $14.99 at the time. I only played it a few times, but it's a blast.

That is odd. I was at Best Buy earlier today and purchased Playstation all star and Hot Shot Golf. Total, with tax, came out to 21.85. Is there a difference between buying online and in store then?
Not sure how that happened, but I just checked online and they come out at 12.50 each (when you add two), 25 total, no extra discount. Games list for 19.99 each when adding to cart.

Not sure how that happened, but I just checked online and they come out at 12.50 each (when you add two), 25 total, no extra discount. Games list for 19.99 each when adding to cart.
Okay, well it should be noted that I did buy it the store. It appears that, for whatever reason, that makes a difference. Can anyone else confirm this?

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is on clearance for $9.97 at Sears. Their clearance is somewhat YMMV, but if your store has it that will likely be the price. Or you could wait for it to hit $4.97 next month.

And yeah, I know, it's free on PS Plus.

No. 3 and 4 are in the same universe, but they're separate games with separate stories. You get a little more out of the fan service portion in 4 if you played 3, but it's nothing huge.
So do you guys recommend to start with Persona No.3 for someone who has never played a Shin Megami Tensei game? Are any of the older games still worth playing? Which version is best?

So do you guys recommend to start with Persona No.3 for someone who has never played a Shin Megami Tensei game? Are any of the older games still worth playing? Which version is best?
Persona 1 is very dated with a very high encounter rate. It's not terrible, but it's very jarring if you're not used to games like that.

Persona 2 follows a similar battle system with a more polished story and more fleshed out characters. Keep in mind there are two games in Persona 2. The first of which was released on the PSP remade with new music and cutscenes, but the second remade game never left Japan. The only way to play it is to play the Playstation version by buying it as a PSOne classic through the PS Store.

Persona 3 FES is a great way to start with the series. Great characters, easy to understand battle system, and great play length. Persona 3 Portable is a very good iteration of the game, but there's a few technical drawbacks because of it being made for the PSP. There are no animated cutscenes, and the non-dungeon exploration is done through a point and click method with a cursor. A little static, but makes things move at a brisker pace. The upside to this version is that you can control all of your party members in battle, in the PS2 version you could only directly control the protagonist and give your partners tactics that they'll follow in battle. This sounds like a great addition, but it makes the game a little too easy because the enemies and overall gameplay wasn't made with full-party control in place. You can also play as a female protagonist in Persona 3 Portable. This gives you new story segments that are completely new to this version of the game. Personally I'd play the PS2 version first.

Persona 4 is a wonderful game. There are plenty of differences between 3 and 4, but they follow the same basic structure. Like I said, I'd probably play 3 before 4, but that's just me.

Plenty of older SMT games are worth playing. Persona is more of a spin-off of the series. 3 is a great starting point though.

For anyone who's not following the BestBuy GCU Coupon thread --

Rayman Legends is $6 before tax after GCU discount and this month's @Gamer coupon.
I have to get in on that but don't have any coupons even though I'm a member of GCU.

I have to get in on that but don't have any coupons even though I'm a member of GCU.
I think they stopped the coupons for GCU; I'm unlocked too (re-upped in December with the $30 coupon), but other than the welcome coupons, I don't get the monthly ones anymore.

I think they stopped the coupons for GCU; I'm unlocked too (re-upped in December with the $30 coupon), but other than the welcome coupons, I don't get the monthly ones anymore.
I've read others have called in or written to unboxed to get the coupons. Does this work?

I've read others have called in or written to unboxed to get the coupons. Does this work?
how long have you been GCU? since they changed the program, new members don't get the @Gamer mag where the coupon is.

Q: Where is my subscription to @Gamer?

A: If you are already an Unlocked member, you will continue to receive @ Gamer through the term of your membership. However, in May of 2014 we will no longer be offering it to members. New Unlocked members will not receive @ Gamer moving forward. The coupons included in your @ Gamer magazine will also be discontinued.

how long have you been GCU? since they changed the program, new members don't get the @Gamer mag where the coupon is.

Q: Where is my subscription to @Gamer?
A: If you are already an Unlocked member, you will continue to receive @ Gamer through the term of your membership. However, in May of 2014 we will no longer be offering it to members. New Unlocked members will not receive @ Gamer moving forward. The coupons included in your @ Gamer magazine will also be discontinued.
I joined in late 2012. Magazine stopped coming a couple months back, always received physical coupons in it. Never chose digital.

hmm, seems they screwed you and then you screwed yourself waiting so long to complain about not getting your magazine...
I called the magazine publisher directly after talking to best buy, per their recommendation. Publisher stated "oh well magazine is being discontinued, sorry".

I called the magazine publisher directly after talking to best buy, per their recommendation. Publisher stated "oh well magazine is being discontinued, sorry".
bummer, maybe you can check the trading or the BB @Gamer threads for a Rayman coupon from another CAG

One of the risk when subscribing to a magazine. My wife subscribed me to a year sub to a gaming mag that I had bought a couple of times from Barnes & Noble. They took out the money and I never received an edition. I looked into it after no mag the 1st month and saw online it had gone under (last edition was 1/2010, I had ordered it in 2/10). What pissed me off even more was I heard some guy on a podcast talk about the mag and how he was making a new one and hopefully those who were fans of the last one, would pick up the new one. F that.

edit: It was Play gaming magazine.

I actually just got a Vita and never played a Persona game - picked up Persona 3 Portable (p3p) during the sale a week or so ago and am loving it. Would recommend.

Persona 1 is very dated with a very high encounter rate. It's not terrible, but it's very jarring if you're not used to games like that.

Persona 2 follows a similar battle system with a more polished story and more fleshed out characters. Keep in mind there are two games in Persona 2. The first of which was released on the PSP remade with new music and cutscenes, but the second remade game never left Japan. The only way to play it is to play the Playstation version by buying it as a PSOne classic through the PS Store.

Persona 3 FES is a great way to start with the series. Great characters, easy to understand battle system, and great play length. Persona 3 Portable is a very good iteration of the game, but there's a few technical drawbacks because of it being made for the PSP. There are no animated cutscenes, and the non-dungeon exploration is done through a point and click method with a cursor. A little static, but makes things move at a brisker pace. The upside to this version is that you can control all of your party members in battle, in the PS2 version you could only directly control the protagonist and give your partners tactics that they'll follow in battle. This sounds like a great addition, but it makes the game a little too easy because the enemies and overall gameplay wasn't made with full-party control in place. You can also play as a female protagonist in Persona 3 Portable. This gives you new story segments that are completely new to this version of the game. Personally I'd play the PS2 version first.

Persona 4 is a wonderful game. There are plenty of differences between 3 and 4, but they follow the same basic structure. Like I said, I'd probably play 3 before 4, but that's just me.
This is great info, thank you.

Plenty of older SMT games are worth playing. Persona is more of a spin-off of the series. 3 is a great starting point though.
I'm not sure what answer I was hoping for. My natural instinct is to play every game in order from the beginning, but if everyone said the older games don't hold up, I'd be off the hook. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

I actually just got a Vita and never played a Persona game - picked up Persona 3 Portable (p3p) during the sale a week or so ago and am loving it. Would recommend.
Thanks. How much was it on sale for? Do these games go on sale often? I have never used the Playstation store. I haven't played a Sony console since the first year of the PSP, but I just bought a used PS3 and a Vita really cheap.

Thanks. How much was it on sale for? Do these games go on sale often? I have never used the Playstation store. I haven't played a Sony console since the first year of the PSP, but I just bought a used PS3 and a Vita really cheap.
The Persona games go on sale all the time. If you miss a sale on a digital copy of them don't worry too much because they'll go on sale again at some point.

Atlus seriously seems to be just constantly rotating what they have on sale. That said, the Persona stuff was all on sale last week, so probably not again this month?

The Persona games go on sale all the time. If you miss a sale on a digital copy of them don't worry too much because they'll go on sale again at some point.
Thanks for the info. I should probably wait anyway. I just got Bravely Default.

Do the PSP digital releases look any better on the Vita or have any other advantages? Or am I better off finding a used PSP disc?

Thanks for the info. I should probably wait anyway. I just got Bravely Default.

Do the PSP digital releases look any better on the Vita or have any other advantages? Or am I better off finding a used PSP disc?
I can't really speak to the quality of PSP titles on the Vita since I've never played one on there, but the emulation should be perfect. I doubt there's any technical advantages outside of possible faster load times.

Pretty solid advice above, but I'll add a few things on P3 FES vs P3P just based on my personal tastes:

1. P3P includes a fast travel system that was first introduced in P4, which makes going through the game world MUCH faster. Having to walk everywhere in FES just gets monotonous after a while. Fast travel respects your time but cutting out some of the bloat from a rather lengthy game.

2. Direct control of all party members in P3P is a great feature, especially for boss battles. It may be easier, but I'd rather control my whole team than be at the mercy of the AI to always make the right moves. To be fair, the AI in Persona games is decently competent, but the times it messes up and causes you to get a game over is a frustration I'd rather avoid.

Found a decent pick up today while I was at Best Buy.  This one is YMMV because its on clearance but I found Mortal Kombat for $11.99.  It ends up being a little over $10 after GCU 20% and tax.  B&M only since its $15.99 on the website.  There was one left at the Pittsburgh Mills store if any Pitts CAG's are interested.

electricsleep said:
Found a decent pick up today while I was at Best Buy. This one is YMMV because its on clearance but I found Mortal Kombat for $11.99. It ends up being a little over $10 after GCU 20% and tax. B&M only since its $15.99 on the website. There was one left at the Pittsburgh Mills store if any Pitts CAG's are interested.
I made a similar post a while ago. Last I knew the N.Olmsted, OH BB still had these if anyone in the area is looking. Yes it has been cheaper in the past but still a good deal for a brand new game.

I'm looking into picking up Lumines (just bought a Vita) and I see it's a little under $20 on Amazon. Is this a good price or should I wait a bit to see if it goes down lower? Thanks!

I'm looking into picking up Lumines (just bought a Vita) and I see it's a little under $20 on Amazon. Is this a good price or should I wait a bit to see if it goes down lower? Thanks!
Actually picked up a copy myself for ~$12 at Best Buy after GCU discount as my store had it on Clearance. I then saw this at another store, so it's YMMV but seems common like the MK deal previously in this thread.

It was $11 on Amazon for months but don't know if it will be going back to that level anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll have to check and see if any of the BB around me have it on clearance. If not, looks like Amazon will have to do

Found a decent pick up today while I was at Best Buy. This one is YMMV because its on clearance but I found Mortal Kombat for $11.99. It ends up being a little over $10 after GCU 20% and tax. B&M only since its $15.99 on the website. There was one left at the Pittsburgh Mills store if any Pitts CAG's are interested.
They crazy thing is Gamestop had this (new) on sale for $9.99 around summer or fall 2012.

Check eBay I have seen that game sold for under 10 with free shipping.

Is $21.50 for Rayman any good? Feel free to say 'not really' haha. I've been trying to decide which platform/if I'll get it for some time now. Just released on PS4 but will probably be full price there for some time...$30 through newegg for the wii u which I also have and formerly $25 around BF for 360/ps3? OLED screen really makes the art style pop though so this might actually be the best bet

Also, doubtful it will ever come to PS+ right? Because of the differences between the PS4 version and vita versions (not significant graphics-wise or even load times, THAT much but simply control scheme)? it's unlikely to ever be cross-buy for the same reasons?

Errr..failed to mention it's through amazon. Well, not through but at least fulfilled by so you might have some PMing luck

Is $21.50 for Rayman any good? Feel free to say 'not really' haha. I've been trying to decide which platform/if I'll get it for some time now. Just released on PS4 but will probably be full price there for some time...$30 through newegg for the wii u which I also have and formerly $25 around BF for 360/ps3? OLED screen really makes the art style pop though so this might actually be the best bet

Also, doubtful it will ever come to PS+ right? Because of the differences between the PS4 version and vita versions (not significant graphics-wise or even load times, THAT much but simply control scheme)? it's unlikely to ever be cross-buy for the same reasons?

Errr..failed to mention it's through amazon. Well, not through but at least fulfilled by so you might have some PMing luck
No sir ... not if you could get it for $7 through Best Buy last week. Coupon is still good, look in the GCU coupon thread, someone might be able to hook you up .. although it may be too late depending on whether the sale is over at BB.

No sir ... not if you could get it for $7 through Best Buy last week. Coupon is still good, look in the GCU coupon thread, someone might be able to hook you up .. although it may be too late depending on whether the sale is over at BB.
It should still be active since the Vita version price-dropped to $29.99 and thus it isn't a sale price.

I don't have a BB membership and my BB never had the magazines anyway (one of which I actually purchased in the past as a nonmember just to get a coupon) so what's the lowest it's been regularly?

but thanks for the advice. I'll try not to beg *too hard :)

I just realized it still wouldn't be that much of a difference...how was it $7 again though? I thought GCU was 20%ish tops and the coupon was $15 off of 30. Or is the % applied first? That would make it $9 at 20%. Either way, I think it'd be almost as good for me just PMing at my target because I'm a team member and I'd get my 15% (10+5) on top of the PM (the 10% is YMMV but they usually do it)

so realistically, I'm looking at $15 vs 17-18ish 

Picked up 2 copies of Dungeon Hunter Alliance for about $12 each after clearance and with GCU at BestBuy. They've been sitting on the shelf for a while and I finally decided to pull the trigger.

Was wondering what people thought of this game? Got this game for my son and I to play together so I'm just interested in how fun it might be with one player or two. Are there any game breaking glitches, etc.. We have lots of games so its not a necessity but $12 seemed like a good price. I'm sort of on the fence about keeping or returning.

SFxTekken isn't an RPG. :p

Toukiden just came out about two weeks ago so the only place with a deal would be the Amazon Warehouse. SFxTekken should be free on PS+ at the moment if you go that route. Disgaea 3 was on there as well, but I'm not sure if it's available anymore. I haven't really seen Disgaea for lower than 25 in a LONG time. I bought the game for around $20 when I got my Vita over a year ago and hasn't been cheaper since AFAIK. 

bread's done
Back