PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find the thread so this will have to do. If I have something already preordered at gamestop.com, is there a way for me to apply a gamestop gift card to the order?

Looks like no Teslagrad tomorrow:

The retail version of Teslagrad for PS Vita will be coming out in the United States in early 2016, we are making the final preparation with our American distributor so that we can start offering pre-orders soon. We will list all of the pre-order options on this blog post and update when we have new options available. To be continued!
http://www.soedesco.com/en/where-can-i-buy-teslagrad-for-playstation-vita/

I just picked up Hot Shots Golf from an Amazon 3rd party seller with prime shipping for $9.66. Looks like they might have a few more left at that price. Not sure if it's been lower before, but figured I'd share.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050SW4OC?keywords=hot%20shots%20golf%20vita&qid=1448374555&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
All this talk the last couple of days about Hot Shots makes me want to reboot it back it. Such a good time waster. Will probably spend the afternoon Thanksgiving playing this over watching the really bad NFL matchups this year.

Alright Vita owners, I'm looking through possible games I would like to pickup tomorrow with the B2G1 at GS and was wanting opinions on the HD collections. I know they have some framerate issues but are they unplayable? In particular, looking at the following ones:

Jak and Daxter Collection

Sly Cooper Collection

Thanks for posting the update. Yeah, when I heard back from the dev it seemed like getting it this year was probably not going to happen outside of the EU/UK. Considering the original game on PS3 & PS4 was on Amazon and the EU Vita version is on Amazon.co.uk ... it seems like there's a good chance this will at least show up on amazon.com when the time comes.

It's amusing that someone would incline I'm a troll, a day one vita owner, who also owns a second console. Then the dozens and dozens of games, limited editions direct from developers, oh yeah and imports too.
Trolling is when you go in a thread and post some inflammatory negative statement (especially claiming an opinion as fact) about the one thing everyone in that thread is interested in talking about. Owning the platform doesn't make your statements any less trolling than someone who just gets their jollies trying to rile up others about a subject.

Looks like resistance was futile... awe here it goes...

I would think as a day one owner you would have realized at some other point during the nearly 3 years the Vita has been out that it has never had a strong let alone good retail presence in any brick & mortar stores (except maybe GameStop). You might have also realized that the majority of games (about 3/4) that release on the vita are digital only and many of the physical releases are those limited editions that often have very limited ways to get (like only on certain websites or stores) and often sell out fast.

So claiming the vita is dead because of brick and mortar retailers are not stocking many games or are dropping the system makes no sense in the current market. Brick and Mortar stores hardly carried any Vita games during it's 3 years so far anyway. Yet as far as Physical released games go, Vita has more games on it than WiiU, about the same number as Xbox One, & about 38 less than PS4. 3DS has a little more than twice the physical games, but it also has a boat load of shovelware garbage games... if you compare quality for quality it is pretty evenly matched. Yet you think it's dead? If anything is dead it's your enthusiasm for the platform. I mean why else would you go out of your way to interrupt discussions about finding vita games to rant about the system being dead? Ok sure we aren't getting new physical games every single week on the Vita but no platform is getting new games every single week physically anymore. The market changed years ago away from that which is why most of what you see on store shelves are older games and shovelware.

I've certainly felt the same about systems like you currently seem to feel about the Vita. Best advice I can give is, play more games. There are about 550 vita specific games on PSN... 144 physical releases in North America... a boat load of PS1, PSP & Minis on PSN.... plenty of unique import games (some of which have English subtitles)... I think there are well over 1000 unique games to play on the system (not counting the defunct PS Mobile market). If you focus more on games and less on retail shelves maybe you'll see the system as being a little more alive. Especially with near weekly new games coming out in digital form for the platform.

If you need more to look forward to,

eV75ayb.jpg

Thanks for the heads about about Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Edit: You meant Soul Sacrifice. Soul Sacrifice Delta is digital only in the US. Amazon also has Soul Sacrifice but for $17.35 currently. It's been dropping, so maybe it'll hit the same price point today.

I don't think I've read any complaints about Sly Cooper Collection other than it not being PSTV compatible and the third game is a Voucher code. I see no reason to resist that if you want to play the games other than buying it used probably means you won't get the third game.

You may be right. Perhaps a version of the Vita/PSTV that came with a certain amount of built-in memory then? (somewhere around 8 - 16 GB) The point is that the digital side of the Vita platform is quite nice, and it's being strangled somewhat by excessively expensive memory cards. If those memory cards were an option, as opposed to a necessity, it would make the platform considerably more appealing to a broader market.
It's a hard call. Sony knows better how much the market is being 'strangled'... I mean, I own a 64g card but have over 200g of games. There's no reason a person with a 8g necessarily stops buying when it's full... people say that they do online, sure, but I don' t know if that's truly widespread.

Part of the pricing of the mem cards is to subsidize the price of the Vita itself, so including that much memory would require two increases to price of the vita itself -- one for the memory, and one to replace the subsidization...

Personally, I think they'd have better luck spending that money in a different way, were they going to give us a Vita 3000. Add 4 triggers for remote play (even if horizontal). Add any improvements in remote play networking researched since original production. And finally, add just enough power to run ps2 classics [not accessible to regular vita games, just making it a vita / portable ps2 player].

It would sell to the hardcore vita owners, ps2 lovers, and those who like remote play. I don't know that it would sell to the general public (maybe ps2 will sell some?) but really, i don't think there's anyway to make the vita mainstream now. That would have required a few early software victories like Monster Hunter and an exclusive Grand Theft Auto.

I think the biggest Vita security thing was not allowing direct read/write access to the system storage. The strange memory card shape just provided an extra layer of security, so that the first hurdle would be getting access to it.
Well, that goes hand in hand really. If they had used standard SD cards, then any hacker could simply access, and edit, the files on any PC. That opens up both game and save files to exploit -- save files being particularly vulnerable since Sony has limited control over how a game accesses a save file. That's why PSP save files are the cause of the minor exploits on Vita.

Tying the save files to bubbles on Vita also secures the system -- once again, preventing, or at least obscuring, any save file editing even if hackers managed to edit files on the vita mem card.

Alright Vita owners, I'm looking through possible games I would like to pickup tomorrow with the B2G1 at GS and was wanting opinions on the HD collections. I know they have some framerate issues but are they unplayable? In particular, looking at the following ones:

Sly Cooper Collection
I haven't played the Jak Collection yet, but the Sly collection seems to play fine to me. Heads up about Sly though, similar to FFX/X-2, Sly 3 is a digital download so make sure you have the space for it.

So claiming the vita is dead because of brick and mortar retailers are not stocking many games or are dropping the system makes no sense in the current market. Brick and Mortar stores hardly carried any Vita games during it's 3 years so far anyway.
A valid point. And I certainly wouldn't have any objection to Sony keeping the Vita alive through digital support, and on-line retailers like Amazon. I do think that some people would like to see a little more western development support for the system though, which is probably one of the larger sticking points for some fans. I'm personally a fan of Japanese development, which is part of the reason why I am so fond of my Vita. But it is true that the majority of Vita games coming out next year are fueled by Japanese development. Anyone hoping for a larger western development presence isn't going to find much on the Vita.

Many of my suggestions for changing up the Vita are specifically geared toward increasing the system's presence in western markets. That's the one area where the Vita could improve the most, and the most likely way to bolster western development for the system. Video game systems live and die on their content. Having a broader and more varied amount of content will keep the Vita viable for longer. It is also part of the reason that I hope Sony doesn't abandon the platform. The longer the Vita is around, the more solid games it will get. Keeping it around, even in a slightly more limited retail capacity will make development for the system cheaper and more viable for a larger number of developers. We've already seen some really fantastic support for the Vita from the indie development scene. Keeping the platform alive will give small-scale developers a place to peddle some of their more experimental wares.

I haven't played the Jak Collection yet, but the Sly collection seems to play fine to me. Heads up about Sly though, similar to FFX/X-2, Sly 3 is a digital download so make sure you have the space for it.
Not only that but if he's buying used, the code is probably no good anymore and he's losing out on a game.

You guys were right. I checked again and Freedom Wars is back in stock at the GS in my area. Not only that, they are no longer listed as limited quantities. The refurbished 8gb memory cards are also available which I am considering.

There are few knowledgeable posters about retailing in this Gamefaqs thread.  :rofl:

The refurbished 8gb memory cards are also available which I am considering.
You might not want to wait too long on those memory cards. They went on sale a day early. I slipped into my local GameStop over my lunch break, and picked up the only two they had in stock. With deals on Vita memory cards being so scarce, there will be decent demand for that deal from any Vita fans in your area.

It's a hard call. Sony knows better how much the market is being 'strangled'... I mean, I own a 64g card but have over 200g of games. There's no reason a person with a 8g necessarily stops buying when it's full... people say that they do online, sure, but I don' t know if that's truly widespread.

Part of the pricing of the mem cards is to subsidize the price of the Vita itself, so including that much memory would require two increases to price of the vita itself -- one for the memory, and one to replace the subsidization...

Personally, I think they'd have better luck spending that money in a different way, were they going to give us a Vita 3000. Add 4 triggers for remote play (even if horizontal). Add any improvements in remote play networking researched since original production. And finally, add just enough power to run ps2 classics [not accessible to regular vita games, just making it a vita / portable ps2 player].

It would sell to the hardcore vita owners, ps2 lovers, and those who like remote play. I don't know that it would sell to the general public (maybe ps2 will sell some?) but really, i don't think there's anyway to make the vita mainstream now. That would have required a few early software victories like Monster Hunter and an exclusive Grand Theft Auto.

Well, that goes hand in hand really. If they had used standard SD cards, then any hacker could simply access, and edit, the files on any PC. That opens up both game and save files to exploit -- save files being particularly vulnerable since Sony has limited control over how a game accesses a save file. That's why PSP save files are the cause of the minor exploits on Vita.

Tying the save files to bubbles on Vita also secures the system -- once again, preventing, or at least obscuring, any save file editing even if hackers managed to edit files on the vita mem card.
It was never done to subsidize the price of the vita. When it came out hardware cost was $156 if I remember correctly. So they were pretty much Selling a machine at cost after r&d etc. four years later it probably costs 1/3 of the cost and even less nowadays that is an lcd screen. Same goes for cart prices. Memory card prices are expensive just because they can make out like a bandit taking a page straight from the apple playbook.

The excuse about the memory card security is overblown. If there was a big market for the vita then they would have made a clone card. As it stands is not cost productive. Even if the reason is security, it shouldn't costs so much to make a 32 -64gb card. It usually costs $5-15 extra in manufacturing and all vita cards even w the cheaper prices of today are super expensive. If cart pricing was real then there would be a huge difference in physical vs digital releases and they aren't.

The vita is only alive because of Japan. No other reason, indies are not what's keeping the machine alive at all. If jap developers stopped making vita games then the vita would have died already.

The vita is only alive because of Japan. No other reason, indies are not what's keeping the machine alive at all. If jap developers stopped making vita games then the vita would have died already.
The Vita is alive primarily because of Japan. Indie developers have shown considerable support for the Vita. They simply haven't shown considerable EXCLUSIVE support for the Vita. But that is to be expected. Any sane indie developer in this day and age is going to avoid exclusivity like the plague. Even the Japanese developers who have been supporting the Vita aren't Vita-exclusive anymore. Most of them are porting their games to the PC, in order to take advantage of digital stores like Steam and GoG.

Indies are playing a part in the Vita's preservation because indie games have a strong tendency to fit well on the Vita. The small, bite-sized nature of most indie games is a perfect fit for a handheld format, far more so than most big-budget developed titles. While their scope and production values are more modest, that very scarcity makes them more appropriate for the Vita. And while big-budget development in the West has all but abandoned the Vita, the small-scale indies in western markets continue to support it with capable ports of their games. I keep a selection of my favorite indie titles permanently installed on my Vita's memory card. They are one of my favorite things about the system.

Sly Cooper Collection
I gave up on Jak and Daxter because it was bad enough that it was personally ruining the game for me. It's not so bad that you couldn't force yourself through it if you really wanted.

It was never done to subsidize the price of the vita. When it came out hardware cost was $156 if I remember correctly. So they were pretty much Selling a machine at cost after r&d etc. four years later it probably costs 1/3 of the cost and even less nowadays that is an lcd screen. Same goes for cart prices. Memory card prices are expensive just because they can make out like a bandit taking a page straight from the apple playbook.

The excuse about the memory card security is overblown. If there was a big market for the vita then they would have made a clone card. As it stands is not cost productive. Even if the reason is security, it shouldn't costs so much to make a 32 -64gb card. It usually costs $5-15 extra in manufacturing and all vita cards even w the cheaper prices of today are super expensive. If cart pricing was real then there would be a huge difference in physical vs digital releases and they aren't.

The Vita was being sold at a loss at launch.

http://www.psu.com/News/12546/Sony-to-make-5000-yen-loss-on-every-PS-Vita-sold-says-analyst

http://www.examiner.com/article/sony-to-sell-playstation-vita-for-a-loss-profitable-3yrs

I gave up on Jak and Daxter because it was bad enough that it was personally ruining the game for me. It's not so bad that you couldn't force yourself through it if you really wanted.
That is rough as of the two, I want that one more. When the first game came out, I beat it and got all the golden eggs. After I went to bed, my mom and step-dad played that game too and did the same. They never played any others but they put a ton of hours into the first Jak and Daxter.

That is rough as of the two, I want that one more. When the first game came out, I beat it and got all the golden eggs. After I went to bed, my mom and step-dad played that game too and did the same. They never played any others but they put a ton of hours into the first Jak and Daxter.
Yeah I played some of the first game but it was right before I got rid of my PS2 initially and remembered it being really great so I wanted to play the games. It was just rough enough that it was detracting from my enjoyment.

Any possibility of a Vita Console sale on BF?  Cheapest I've seen so far was at Target using all those % off coupons....brought it down close to $170

You might not want to wait too long on those memory cards. They went on sale a day early. I slipped into my local GameStop over my lunch break, and picked up the only two they had in stock. With deals on Vita memory cards being so scarce, there will be decent demand for that deal from any Vita fans in your area.
I'm not worried about those other two people.

rimshot-gary.gif

bread's done
Back