PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Vita, but I think Sony's complete lack of giving a shit has finally caught up with it. This might just be a wild guess, but I think the Switch might eventually replace it as developers' high end handheld of choice. Assuming anyone actually starts making games for the damn thing. That was the impressing I got when Nintendo made their announcement, it's not the DS3 or WiiU2, it's the Super Vita/Vita Advance.
I doubt it. I feel like a lot of developers that made games for the Vita would rather move them to PS4 before going to the Switch...Neptunia comes to mind, a franchise I could never see existing on a Nintendo system.

I doubt it. I feel like a lot of developers that made games for the Vita would rather move them to PS4 before going to the Switch...Neptunia comes to mind, a franchise I could never see existing on a Nintendo system.
IF games I doubt will be developed for much else than the Vita and eventually the PS4 when the Vita phases out and PC of course. I consider IF games more quantity over quality, though I've heard Mary Skelter is actually pretty decent, plus their million Otomate games which are primed for the Vita.

IF games I doubt will be developed for much else than the Vita and eventually the PS4 when the Vita phases out and PC of course. I consider IF games more quantity over quality, though I've heard Mary Skelter is actually pretty decent, plus their million Otomate games which are primed for the Vita.
I think the problem in general with developers like that and Nintendo is what kind of alterations Nintendo would require. Especially Nintendo of America.

While I love my Vita and PSTV greatly... (played some Axiom Verge, slow down bugs and all, just yesterday on my PSTV)... the system feels ultimately pretty dead to me.   Outside of Cosmic Star Heroine and Bloodstained (if we get it next year).... there's nothing I'm really even remotely hyped about that's releasing.  CSH, I'm leaning towards the Steam version since that appears to be top priority for completion by the dev.

I was going to say the 3DS is pretty much in the same camp.  I was just thinking about Fire Emblem Echoes (which I have preordered) and that was it, but I looked at a few release lists and I'm super hyped for Lady Layton, Blaster Master Zero and if it doesn't get canned the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI.  Those are all day 1 purchase quality games to me.   I don't care about Pikmin or the Mario Sports game coming... but even so, there's some first party stuff still in the works there too as well as a few other pretty big games left for this year.  I can imagine in 2018 I'll feel the 3DS is dead (or near dead).

To be completely fair though, I never really though the 3DS was very alive after the amazing lineup that graced the DS (starting about 6 months or so after it came out)... and if I'm being completely fair, if it wasn't for the PS1 & PSP stuff on Vita I'd say the Vita ultimately didn't measure up to the PSP.  PSP had some awesome 3rd party support.  Some of those games still are among my favorites on any system.  Same for the DS vs 3DS... DS had some experiences that were just the best.  It was the last of the great Castlevania games for one.  Still, both Vita and 3DS have some solid games.  I just think both were a step down in many ways.

So sure, Vita is still getting games... it's technically alive... but it's almost completely gone from all regular retail outlets.  It's the Zombie of game systems.

I think, this is likely the last really good year for Vita getting games physical.  Next year I'd imagine most of the releases will be Asia/JP imports because it won't be profitable to release actual normal retail quantity levels any more in NA which will put a lot of companies out of the game.  LRG should still be able to keep going, but they operate outside of the norms for the market.   If you add up the production run for every single VITA game that LRG has produced from B&C through the upcoming Runner 2, it only adds up to 69,231 carts.  Granted it's probably ~1000 more than that because of extra production they don't officially count... but it's not really a major factor in the market viability.

So enjoy the system.  Enjoy the library.  IF you find what is being released are truly great games and some of the best of all time, I think that's great.  For me, it feels like most of the great Vita games are in it's past.

I agree on the physical front. I mean to even get the Vita games from BB you have to pre-order them now....sad honestly. I hope for the best, but I strongly agree. Too many Vita versions are being passed over for PS4 versions.  

YES.

My 64GB is getting full and I will need to buy another one soon. It would be so much easier to just have a huge 128GB (or even 256GB since I have movies and TV I can watch through the Vita) to keep everything on.
Mines been full for years, and the library manager program for the PC doesn't work for me, so I can't really swap games back & forth, plus I wouldn't anyway, as it may corrupt my card. Thank God for LRG, as I've been able to delete games and make room for new ones, thanks to getting them in physical form.

I love my Vita, but I think Sony's complete lack of giving a shit has finally caught up with it. This might just be a wild guess, but I think the Switch might eventually replace it as developers' high end handheld of choice. Assuming anyone actually starts making games for the damn thing. That was the impressing I got when Nintendo made their announcement, it's not the DS3 or WiiU2, it's the Super Vita/Vita Advance.
I agree, no way the NS is taking the Vita's place at this point, at least in regards to 3rd party support. No matter what, the Vita has a user base that the NS is years away from, if it ever happens at all. Most games are for PS4 and Vita, and now we are seeing most dual releases cancelled on the Vita side, but those games won't be going to the NS, why would they?

Sony's lack of giving a shit, in my mind is what keeps it going. Like I've said before, for a system that the creator has all but left and tries to sweep under the rug, the Vita is going crazy strong. Will this be the last year for it? Maybe, but since it's still doing OK in Japan, almost every game being announced for the PS4 from niche Japanese developers, is still getting Vita ports.

Nisa and other companies who do these US translations, are making good money based on the market in place, and unless all of us crazy bastards give up on it tomorrow, I think we'll see good support throughout this year at least, and maybe beyond.

What kind of cases do you all prefer to use for your Slim model Vita? Was looking at this one on Play-Asia.com for $29.99 shipped:

http://www.play-asia.com/leather-case-for-playstation-vita-slim/13/7098jj
I use this because I like putting my Vita in my pocket. Looks like Amazon isn't the place to get it, but if you can find something similar

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Face-Cover-PlayStation-Vita-2000/dp/B00L6AVPWA/ref=sr_1_7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1488407843&sr=1-7&keywords=vita+face

I just started collecting Vita Games middle of year 2016. I went to over 5 different walmarts near my area to look for games since there were some mention of clearance bins. Only one of the walmart had those big clearance bins. Here is what I scored the last few weeks. Found most from the big clearance bin. 

$15

-Assassins Creed 3 Liberation

-Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

$10

-MLB 13 The Show

-Little Deviants

Both should have been $5

$9.88

-Borderlands 2

-Freedom Wars

-God of War Collection (was actually $9.98)

-MLB 15 The Show

-Sly Cooper Collection

-Tearaway

-Wolf Among Us

$9

-FFX/X-2 HD (x2)

-Lego Harry Potter 

-Lego Marvel Super Heroes

$5

-SpongeBob Hero Pants

$3

-MLB 14 The Show (x5)

I use this one

Link

Not great but it holds my Vita 1000 at least. It's also reversible though I usually keep the plastic side on the outside with the cloth inside.

What kind of cases do you all prefer to use for your Slim model Vita? Was looking at this one on Play-Asia.com for $29.99 shipped:

For my Aqua Blue Vita slim, I use this Butterfox case:

https://www.amazon.com/Butterfox-Double-Compartment-Carry-Case/dp/B007GYBTGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488413937&sr=8-1&keywords=Butterfox+vita

Great quality, two compartments, and internal sleeves for 10 carts.

From the reviews I read, the online pictures of the Vita systems don't do them justice. Many reviews say that the colors look a lot better in person, so I'm really looking forward to getting mine
Yeah, that's what I've read too. It's just hard to judge whether or not I'd like it. I'm just hoping it's darker and not lighter. The Aqua Blue was lighter in appearance to me anyways.

I have two of the Aqua Blue Vita systems, really like the color a lot. It was a limited release in N.A., only Gamestop carried it and they are long gone from retail channels.
Nice. I got mine a few weeks ago and thought the color was lighter. I was hoping it was darker blue. But oh well. And I know. Amazon still has the Japanese imports for ~$200 as well.

TC, my only concern with the Hori that you're looking at is stick protection. That wallet style looks like it might press on the sticks more than a pouch, face cover, or case would?

Post of my case.

Yeah, that's what I've read too. It's just hard to judge whether or not I'd like it. I'm just hoping it's darker and not lighter. The Aqua Blue was lighter in appearance to me anyways.

Nice. I got mine a few weeks ago and thought the color was lighter. I was hoping it was darker blue. But oh well. And I know. Amazon still has the Japanese imports for ~$200 as well.
I get how you feel. Shopping for the Aqua Blue based on pictures and videos was difficult.

It is definitely lighter than I thought it would be, but luckily, it is more blue than greenish blue to me (I hate green) so I love the Aqua Blue. For sure, very different from the older Sapphire Blue Vita.

Mines been full for years, and the library manager program for the PC doesn't work for me, so I can't really swap games back & forth, plus I wouldn't anyway, as it may corrupt my card. Thank God for LRG, as I've been able to delete games and make room for new ones, thanks to getting them in physical form.

I agree, no way the NS is taking the Vita's place at this point, at least in regards to 3rd party support. No matter what, the Vita has a user base that the NS is years away from, if it ever happens at all. Most games are for PS4 and Vita, and now we are seeing most dual releases cancelled on the Vita side, but those games won't be going to the NS, why would they?

Sony's lack of giving a shit, in my mind is what keeps it going. Like I've said before, for a system that the creator has all but left and tries to sweep under the rug, the Vita is going crazy strong. Will this be the last year for it? Maybe, but since it's still doing OK in Japan, almost every game being announced for the PS4 from niche Japanese developers, is still getting Vita ports.

Nisa and other companies who do these US translations, are making good money based on the market in place, and unless all of us crazy bastards give up on it tomorrow, I think we'll see good support throughout this year at least, and maybe beyond.
I feel like a heel, haven't pre-ordered God Wars from NISA yet and spent the money I could've used to do so on Vita games from Play

Asia. It will take the Switch a long time to catch up with the Vita for installed owner base. Over five million Vita handheld systems have been sold in Japan alone, that's not a number Switch is likely to achieve for a long time, if ever. Due to weather conditions we hardly had any customers tonight at the Best Buy I work at so i got to chit-chat with some co-workers about there thoughts on the midnight release of Switch tomorrow night. Half felt, as I do, that it's destined for failure, and the other half were salivating at the the thoughts of playing a new "The Legend of Zelda" game. But that just goes back to the same issue the Wii U had, people were buying the system on;y for the 1st-party game titles. And I am planning to take my camcorder to work tomorrow night and film the nuts in line for the Wii U, err, I mean the Switch. Should prove interesting and make for a few views on my badly neglected YouTube channel.

I just started collecting Vita Games middle of year 2016. I went to over 5 different walmarts near my area to look for games since there were some mention of clearance bins. Only one of the walmart had those big clearance bins. Here is what I scored the last few weeks. Found most from the big clearance bin.

$15

-Assassins Creed 3 Liberation

-Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

$10

-MLB 13 The Show

-Little Deviants

Both should have been $5

$9.88

-Borderlands 2

-Freedom Wars

-God of War Collection (was actually $9.98)

-MLB 15 The Show

-Sly Cooper Collection

-Tearaway

-Wolf Among Us

$9

-FFX/X-2 HD (x2)

-Lego Harry Potter

-Lego Marvel Super Heroes

$5

-SpongeBob Hero Pants

$3

-MLB 14 The Show (x5)
Totally surprised you managed to score seventeen different titles from your local Wal*Mart stores, but well done! You definitely scored some good deals there.

I feel like a heel, haven't pre-ordered God Wars from NISA yet and spent the money I could've used to do so on Vita games from Play

Asia. It will take the Switch a long time to catch up with the Vita for installed owner base. Over five million Vita handheld systems have been sold in Japan alone, that's not a number Switch is likely to achieve for a long time, if ever. Due to weather conditions we hardly had any customers tonight at the Best Buy I work at so i got to chit-chat with some co-workers about there thoughts on the midnight release of Switch tomorrow night. Half felt, as I do, that it's destined for failure, and the other half were salivating at the the thoughts of playing a new "The Legend of Zelda" game. But that just goes back to the same issue the Wii U had, people were buying the system on;y for the 1st-party game titles. And I am planning to take my camcorder to work tomorrow night and film the nuts in line for the Wii U, err, I mean the Switch. Should prove interesting and make for a few views on my badly neglected YouTube channel.

Totally surprised you managed to score seventeen different titles from your local Wal*Mart stores, but well done! You definitely scored some good deals there.
Yeah, my local Walmart for the last few years has only had like 2 Vita games, and they where digital download ones at that. My locals stores never have shit. I remember when Target had that killer sale awhile back, and I did find a couple of decent titles, but some guys here found like every game on sale in their area.

I saw a Video earlier from a guy giving his NS thoughts, and his big question that he asked of anyone who was willing to answer, was if Zelda wasn't out for the NS, would you even consider getting the system right now? He thought the answer would be no from most, and I had to agree. Even with Zelda, while the game looks amazing, it's one game. And a game that can be played elsewhere.

At least at the Wii U launch, it was riding the Wii wave of success, so it got tons of support by default. The NS seems to not be anywhere near the 3rd party support that Wii U started with, and while the indie crowd seems to be out in full force, all of those games can be had elsewhere. I may have one friend getting the NS, while others probably don't even know its coming out, or what it is, as they play on ONE/PS4/PC, and haven't cared about "N" since the N64 days when we played Goldeneye 24/7. LOL

I have bought a lot for the Vita too. I am consistently now buying for the PS4 over the Vita for comparable games, as they usually just run better on the PS4 and I do like my PS4. They are consistently usually localizing PS4 versions sometimes skipping the Vita versions totally. I still love getting Vita games, and strongly prefer strategy games and VNs on the Vita. Some RPGs are good too,but I usually prefer those on the big screen as well.
Graphics and FPS being equal, I usually prefer the Vita port of dual platform releases. Certain genres of games also just feel more appropriate on the Vita, such as VN's or high-bit indie titles such as most of the stuff released by LRG. Been playing Shovel Knight for the first time ever recently, on my Vita, and it just feels so right.

It's why most of the time I go for the Vita version of any LRG release if there's a choice. Playing indie games that have minimalist or retro-style graphics on my PS4 makes me feel like I'm using a Lamborghini to hold my beer.

TC, my only concern with the Hori that you're looking at is stick protection. That wallet style looks like it might press on the sticks more than a pouch, face cover, or case would?

Post of my case.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. Maybe the pictures that PA have posted of the case don't do it enough justice, and since the Vita is the Slim version, hopefully it will have more space than the picture shows.

But say if it does push on the sticks, is there something I could buy to protect the sticks from any potential damage that a case too tight would make?

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is getting rated for the Vita in the UK. This game would be a very nice edition to the Vita.

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=Momodora%3A&agecategories=&genre=&organisations=&platforms=&countries=&submit=Search#searchresults
Looks pretty cool, would love to buy this for the Vita if possible in the future. It has very good reviews on Steam as well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/

I was surprised as well since most of the walmarts only had a few vita games(mostly mlb and fifa). I actually had to go to the walmart that had the clearance bin twice since there were so many variety of games, and just to double check I didn't miss any vita games since vita cases are pretty small like 3ds cases. I was lucky to find Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom and FFX/X-2 the second time I went back. They were at the bottom of the bin. I did see PS4, Xbox1 and 3ds games but wasn't too interested in them.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is the fourth game in the series.  The first two you can get free from the dev's website (google it) and the third is on steam for a $1.99.   I still haven't played any of the games but I tend to love metroidvania games... so both the third and fourth games remain on my short steam wishlist.

Does anyone know if the code for Final Fantasy X-2 is still valid? I bought a new copy of FFX/X-2 HD for the vita.
I've read in the past, that several users have had PSN codes expire, but still work pass the date on the card. I think they know some of this stuff sits on shelves, and doesn't get bought for a time, so I think they let some pass. I've had a few work myself past the date, but I haven't tried this specific one yet.

Whoever wants the voucher code for Final Fantasy X-2 can have it. I don't feel like wasting 3.5GB on my memory card for the game plus it doesn't seem interesting to me. Hopefully it still valid and let me know if it worked. Here is voucher code free : XXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ  

Whoever wants the voucher code for Final Fantasy X-2 can have it. I don't feel like wasting 3.5GB on my memory card for the game plus it doesn't seem interesting to me. Hopefully it still valid and let me know if it worked. Here is voucher code free : 9CR3-2JNR-9HNF
Nice gift for someone, cool karma points sir.

Whoever wants the voucher code for Final Fantasy X-2 can have it. I don't feel like wasting 3.5GB on my memory card for the game plus it doesn't seem interesting to me. Hopefully it still valid and let me know if it worked. Here is voucher code free: all gone
Can't believe I won fastest fingers on that one. Thanks a ton. I have been eyeing a used copy of this at my local independent game shop but did not get it because there is no code. You may want to edit the code out so you do not get spammed.

The Nintendo Switch stands a very good chance of taking over for the Vita in the minds of consumers and developers alike. The primary reason for this is that the Switch is very well positioned to be popular in Japan. The form factor of the Switch is going to make it an easy sell to a culture that has a lot of commuting, and a massive premium on physical space. With the Switch Japanese gamers will have all of the benefits of a standard console, a minute form factor while docked, and the ability to take their games on the go, continuing to play on their commute. On top of that, Nintendo is a Japanese company that has a history of doing well in their native territory.

The Vita has held on as long as it has thanks to indie developers and Japanese popularity. Japanese developers have started insuring that their games get ported to PC, but this is to take advantage of Western markets. (and a natural extension of porting their games to the PS4) PC gaming is still not very widespread or popular in Japan. (and is commonly associated with hentai titles) The obvious successor to the Vita for Japanese developers is the Switch.

The PS4 will continue to get regular support. After all, why not make a PS4 port and take advantage of its install base? (both Eastern and Western) But I strongly suspect that the Switch is going to do well in Japan, and that support from Japanese 3rd party developers will be a natural progression.

Can't believe I won fastest fingers on that one. Thanks a ton. I have been eyeing a used copy of this at my local independent game shop but did not get it because there is no code. You may want to edit the code out so you do not get spammed.
Oh okay thank you for letting me know. Great to know the code worked for you.

The Nintendo Switch stands a very good chance of taking over for the Vita in the minds of consumers and developers alike.
Anything is possible, but I just don't see the titles that are currently being released on the PS4/Vita, making for a good fit on the NS. But if they get their numbers up quick, and interest stays high(both of which I personally don't think will happen), it may get the support that was once the Vita's. I think developers would rather continue on their current course, with the Vita's installed base, than to gamble on the unknowns that are "N" and the NS.

I feel kind of bad i'm not more excited about God Wars....I should try the demo out sometime, but it looks a little...eh...just OK I guess. I was super excited for it before.

I think developers would rather continue on their current course, with the Vita's installed base, than to gamble on the unknowns that are "N" and the NS.
I think a lot of developers are definitely wary of the Switch for the moment. After the extremely low install base of the Wii U, I don't blame them. No one wants to show up to the party, only to find themselves in an empty, abandoned room.
On the other hand, the Switch is already getting some significant support from some well-established Japanese developers/publishers. Capcom's showing up, even if it's only a tentative first step. Square-Enix is pretty much all-in, with a few custom efforts as well as ports of some of their PS4 titles. There are quite a few Japanese Switch titles being worked on, the main reason they haven't gotten as much promotion over here is because not all of them have announced Western releases. But this is typical of Japan-centric titles, which have been the bread and butter of the Vita for quite some time.
This is why I suspect that the Switch is going to swiftly take over this particular niche. As you pointed out, this will swing heavily on how well the Switch is able to do out of the gate. But I feel strongly that the Switch will perform very well in Japan. Even if it struggles in the West, I think it's general design will make it an easy pitch in Nintendo's native country. And for the kind of Japanese-focused titles that make up a significant chunk of the Vita's library, Japan is still the most significant market.
It could be that the Switch will tank in Japan, in which case the Vita may get a reprieve for a few more years. From what I know of Japanese culture, I don't think that's going to happen.

Fine by me!  Bring on all the English-friendly Japanese import games, with the Switch.

Word just came out today that the JP physical version of "I am Setsuna" has English subtitles.  I'm actually super excited for the NS now.

The Nintendo Switch stands a very good chance of taking over for the Vita in the minds of consumers and developers alike. The primary reason for this is that the Switch is very well positioned to be popular in Japan.
Vita, as far as consumer presence is concerned, is completely dead in the USA. It lived a public life even more restrictive and depressing than the Dreamcast. To the general consumer, the Vita is a completely failed system with overpriced memory cards. To them, it never lived.

I think the memory cards being tied to the Vita's lack of success is completely overblown. People won't buy a Vita because of a $30 memory card (no you don't need 32GB+) but to play online they will spend $50 every year for the PS4 and Xbox One and not bat an eye. Got it. Playstation 1 and 2 had $15-20 memory cards and how many people had more than 1?

I'm not trying to claim that the Switch is all of a sudden going to get a bunch of Japanese exclusive titles. That would be silly. Japanese developers operate on relatively slim margins, and need to reach as broad an audience as possible in order to make money. The current trend of Japanese games getting developed for the PS4, and getting ports to the PC will continue. I just think that the Switch is going to be added as a common porting target.
In the previous console generation, Japanese developers were forced to stop their traditional practice of designing every game's engine from the ground up, and started using middle-ware game engines more frequently. And the majority of middle-ware engines in this day and age are designed to target x86 architectures and mobile architectures. This makes porting much easier and cheaper for those platform targets. I think the Switch is going to be an easy device for Japanese developers to port their titles to. I expect the majority of Japanese-developed games to show up on the PS4, PC, and Switch in the coming years. Very few of them will be exclusive to any one of those platforms. (with the PS4 probably getting the most exclusives)
The Vita is more of a legacy system at this point, and won't maintain support for long if a viable alternative rises.

I think the memory cards being tied to the Vita's lack of success is completely overblown. People won't buy a Vita because of a $30 memory cardm (no you don't need 32GB+) but to play online they will spend $50 every year for the PS4 and Xbox One and not bat an eye. Got it. Playstation 1 and 2 had $15-20 memory cards and how many people had more than 1?
Yep. That argument comes up all the time on here and it's completely stupid.

I think the memory cards being tied to the Vita's lack of success is completely overblown. People won't buy a Vita because of a $30 memory cardm (no you don't need 32GB+) but to play online they will spend $50 every year for the PS4 and Xbox One and not bat an eye. Got it. Playstation 1 and 2 had $15-20 memory cards and how many people had more than 1?
Talk to people that didn't buy one. It may not make a lot of sense, but it's a general consumer complaint towards the system.

As for PS1 & 2... there were third party memory cards. The prices at launch didn't stick forever. The Vita was locked down to a few overpriced options. Overpriced, compared to what the competition used. And back in the PS1/PS2 time... the memory card prices were in line with what everyone else was doing. Also, back to retail space... PS1 and PS2 got a massive amount of retail space. It's also hard to compare memory card prices on systems where the memory is only being used to store game saves versus the Vita where it's required to install patches and handle saves.

Yep. That argument comes up all the time on here and it's completely stupid.
It may be stupid, but it doesn't make it any less of a valid complaint by those looking into buying the system. It certainly factored into my decision to the point that I ended up buying a PSTV before the Vita because the PSTV was on a special sale on Amazon and I got in for the bundle on the cheap. IF not for that cheap PSTV, I would have probably never caved in and bought my Vita (2000, Borderlands 2 bundle) let alone set aside the extra $100 to upgrade to a 64gb memory card. And I'm a very informed consumer that is big into gaming, not just a general consumer that is looking at the system. For most general consumers, the Vita made no sense as a purchase. The 3DS also lost a lot of the ground the DS had, but it still went gangbusters on the market and got most of the consumer attention at retail.

If it makes anyone feel any better I just sold GS my launch Vita, 64Gb card, 16Gb Card, and the 4Gb it came with.  The 64Gb card got me more money than the Vita system itself.  The games got me next to nothing because Vita was a more-or-less downloaded games system.

Anything is possible, but I just don't see the titles that are currently being released on the PS4/Vita, making for a good fit on the NS. But if they get their numbers up quick, and interest stays high(both of which I personally don't think will happen), it may get the support that was once the Vita's. I think developers would rather continue on their current course, with the Vita's installed base, than to gamble on the unknowns that are "N" and the NS.
The Switch getting more support down the road than the Vita is a foregone conclusion. Almost zero chance that the Switch will perform worse than the Vita either here or worldwide. And at this point developing games for the Vita is more of a gamble than developing for the Switch.

If it makes anyone feel any better I just sold GS my launch Vita, 64Gb card, 16Gb Card, and the 4Gb it came with. The 64Gb card got me more money than the Vita system itself. The games got me next to nothing because Vita was a more-or-less downloaded games system.
Curious how much did this fetch you? I just know GS is stingy with money for trade ins.

The Switch getting more support down the road than the Vita is a foregone conclusion. Almost zero chance that the Switch will perform worse than the Vita either here or worldwide. And at this point developing games for the Vita is more of a gamble than developing for the Switch.
While I think you are right, in the long run the Switch will outsell the Vita it has several years before it will get there. Zelda sells consoles and I would not be surprised if they generated 2 million plus sales just on people who will justify the purchase for Zelda. Vita is still in production and has outsold the now discontinued WiiU (~13.8 million total sales) by 1.5 million. Vita is at 15.3 million in lifetime consoles sold so it will take some time for the Switch to get there (especially since it is still selling 25-30,000 units per week). I think the Vita will end production in the 18-19 million unit range assuming Sony continues production for another ~2 years primarily in Japan).

I think lots of the future development will be predicated by a strong launch. I am sure many developers are on a wait and see and with long development times any kind of out of the gate slip ups could put the Switch in the same place as the WiiU a primarily Nintendo exclusives machine.

For me Zelda is the only title I am particularly excited about and it would be a hard sell to drop close to $400 for the system, game and taxes.

Talk to people that didn't buy one. It may not make a lot of sense, but it's a general consumer complaint towards the system.

As for PS1 & 2... there were third party memory cards. The prices at launch didn't stick forever. The Vita was locked down to a few overpriced options. Overpriced, compared to what the competition used. And back in the PS1/PS2 time... the memory card prices were in line with what everyone else was doing. Also, back to retail space... PS1 and PS2 got a massive amount of retail space. It's also hard to compare memory card prices on systems where the memory is only being used to store game saves versus the Vita where it's required to install patches and handle saves.

It may be stupid, but it doesn't make it any less of a valid complaint by those looking into buying the system. It certainly factored into my decision to the point that I ended up buying a PSTV before the Vita because the PSTV was on a special sale on Amazon and I got in for the bundle on the cheap. IF not for that cheap PSTV, I would have probably never caved in and bought my Vita (2000, Borderlands 2 bundle) let alone set aside the extra $100 to upgrade to a 64gb memory card. And I'm a very informed consumer that is big into gaming, not just a general consumer that is looking at the system. For most general consumers, the Vita made no sense as a purchase. The 3DS also lost a lot of the ground the DS had, but it still went gangbusters on the market and got most of the consumer attention at retail.
General consumer complaint? You can't draw that from complaints on CAG/NeoGAF. I don't believe the Vita was hurting for retail space until after it had weak sales. If anything it was caused by weak sales not the cause itself. And again the vita memory card is cheaper than one year of xbox live/psn and it is a physical tangible product that can be resold to get some of your money back. You're applying causation to something that has not held other consoles back from being successful. Proprietary cards may have hurt but it was nowhere near one of the main factors for it's failure.

I'll end with a comment on your statement that the 3DS did worse than the DS. No expensive memory cards there. It's almost like there were certain other market factors that led to both systems doing worse than their predecessors.

bread's done
Back