PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vita was marketed very poorly (if at all really) and it suffered from the same misguided (and grossly incorrect) belief the PSP did: that it had no games.  That, combined with the mobile market really taking off and the 3DS just being there, that is why it failed.  Memory card prices sucked, but I doubt that alone pushed anyone away.  Remember, you could very easily get by with an 8GB card for your average consumer.  We're the crazy people who need the 64GB cards.

It may be stupid, but it doesn't make it any less of a valid complaint by those looking into buying the system. It certainly factored into my decision to the point that I ended up buying a PSTV before the Vita because the PSTV was on a special sale on Amazon and I got in for the bundle on the cheap. IF not for that cheap PSTV, I would have probably never caved in and bought my Vita (2000, Borderlands 2 bundle) let alone set aside the extra $100 to upgrade to a 64gb memory card. And I'm a very informed consumer that is big into gaming, not just a general consumer that is looking at the system. For most general consumers, the Vita made no sense as a purchase. The 3DS also lost a lot of the ground the DS had, but it still went gangbusters on the market and got most of the consumer attention at retail.
CAG's thoughts, rationalizations, and actions are not representative of the larger demographic.

These comments about the memory cards are largely true. They were more of an annoyance for existing Vita owners as opposed to an impediment to new Vita buyers. There were far more pressing issues for the Vita than just the cost of its memory format.

The biggest problem with the Vita's memory format was that it made it harder for it to expand as a digital platform, despite having almost everything else in its favor in that regard. But again, this was more of an issue for existing Vita owners, not prospective purchasers.

These comments about the memory cards are largely true. They were more of an annoyance for existing Vita owners as opposed to an impediment to new Vita buyers. There were far more pressing issues for the Vita than just the cost of its memory format.

The biggest problem with the Vita's memory format was that it made it harder for it to expand as a digital platform, despite having almost everything else in its favor in that regard. But again, this was more of an issue for existing Vita owners, not prospective purchasers.
Yeah, Sony deserves a big kick in the balls for the memory card situation alone. I could almost look past most of the other dumb shit they did with the Vita, but the memory card problem still pisses me off.

I do have to say the memory card prices are why I took a while to get the Vita. Paying close to $90 for my first 32 gig card and then around $80 or something for my 64 gig (may have been around $75) hurt a lot. I also have an 8 gig one somewhere that I got for less than $10 at least. Just expensive.

If it makes anyone feel any better I just sold GS my launch Vita, 64Gb card, 16Gb Card, and the 4Gb it came with. The 64Gb card got me more money than the Vita system itself. The games got me next to nothing because Vita was a more-or-less downloaded games system.
Why would that make anyone feel better? You know you're in a thread catering to fans of the Vita?

CAG's thoughts, rationalizations, and actions are not representative of the larger demographic.
Of course they aren't. I only gave my own tale of getting into the Vita as someone who is super informed about gaming. Imagine for a second what people who aren't very informed think when they go to stores and all they see for handheld gaming is the 3DS and .... it's variants. Or imagine what they saw the last few years at stores like Walmart where the game section for Vita (if there was one) consisted of maybe 5 or 6 games total. It's hard to project consumer confidence in a system that APPEARS not to be supported at all. The retail presence reminds me of the Game.com system back in it's day. Ok maybe not that bad, but close.

Beyond myself... I have three kids covering middle school age through high school. My three kids have loads of friends, especially my oldest who is in the band. Discussions about games happen. Especially the band guys who take systems on the bus to play during football season. I don't think a single person my kids know besides me own a Vita. They typically have 3DS's and phones. But beyond that, it's not hard to see the larger market when you go into stores two years after a system launches and they have no systems on the shelf and few to no games and it's not because they are sold out and awaiting a shipment. Store after store got rid of their stock to the point that there are few places to even see ANY Vita stuff. Having stuff in the pubic eye is big towards it selling.

As much as I'm talking about Vita being an overall market failure and some of the reasons why (over priced at launch, over priced memory cards, lack of store shelf space to display software... etc)... I do love the system myself. I can just turn off my own fandom for something and discuss it in a more general sense.

Why would that make anyone feel better? You know you're in a thread catering to fans of the Vita?
If I was going to get rid of my Vita and memory cards, I'd hit up some Vita collectors in this thread. I could see others paying more than GS. I have a OLED still sealed I got for $90 as a backup but I could see myself getting a 2nd gen Vita. I'll tell you guys one thing is Odin Sphere looks beautiful on the Vita. If you haven't played it then check it out.

"discussing it in a general sense" would be that the pricing on memory cards is neither here nor there in regards to the system failing at retail.

and you're not discussing anything in a general sense.  all you have been doing is talking about the Vita and how it relates to you and the children you know. 

???

"discussing it in a general sense" would be that the pricing on memory cards is neither here nor there in regards to the system failing at retail.

and you're not discussing anything in a general sense. all you have been doing is talking about the Vita and how it relates to you and the children you know.

???
I'm not sure you are someone for which a rational conversation is possible.

You have made no effort to discuss any reasonable thought as to why memory card pricing, system pricing, and lack of retail space didn't affect sales towards the general consumer.

I really don't think the system price was that big of a deal.  Look at the 3DS right now, it's the same price and doing fine.  I know the 2DS is available, but that's not the bulk of the sales.  Retail space, sure, that was never all that big, and probably contributed.  But I still call BS on the memory cards.  A $20 solution existed, and was enough for save games and a download title or two.

If I was going to get rid of my Vita and memory cards, I'd hit up some Vita collectors in this thread. I could see others paying more than GS. I have a OLED still sealed I got for $90 as a backup but I could see myself getting a 2nd gen Vita. I'll tell you guys one thing is Odin Sphere looks beautiful on the Vita. If you haven't played it then check it out.
Really? I was thinking about getting Odin Sphere on PS4 but might have to just get it for the Vita for less money

I think lack of advertisement hurt too. I really don't remember seeing much of anything for advertisement after release, but that could just be me. Now it's pretty much feeds discussing the Vita while everyone else is going crazy for the PS4 and Switch and even sometimes the Xbone. Heck even the 3DS has some lime light every now and then even though barely anything is coming out for it. It's all pretty much random indie games and niche games for the Vita now, but that wasn't always the case.

I love my machine to death as well but I know developers are somewhat struggling with it, with performance issues and porting issues seeming to come up a lot more often. Of course we get the similar developers who keep developing for it and give a wide range of games.....though it's mainly NIS, IF and other random developers usually doing dungeon RPGs or VNs or such. Lets just enjoy the year, cause somehow I doubt next year that either the 3DS or the Vita will be getting as many physical releases at least, and i'm not considering all the LRG stuff...just the retail stuff.

I really don't think the system price was that big of a deal. Look at the 3DS right now, it's the same price and doing fine. I know the 2DS is available, but that's not the bulk of the sales. Retail space, sure, that was never all that big, and probably contributed. But I still call BS on the memory cards. A $20 solution existed, and was enough for save games and a download title or two.
I agree, I personally don't think the card prices where a super huge deal in the Vita's demise(one of many factors, sure), as I started off with a cheap 4G and went up from there.

For the first year or two, save where my biggest issues. Now of course these damn Flash sales have been the end of me, and that is where my issues with the memory come in to play, is the lack of bigger cards at decent pricing. Damn near $100 for 64GB is nuts. I was lucky, as I sold off each smaller card, and almost each time, it paid for the bigger ones, as I always bought low during a sale, and sold high when there where none.

I'm not sure you are someone for which a rational conversation is possible.

You have made no effort to discuss any reasonable thought as to why memory card pricing, system pricing, and lack of retail space didn't affect sales towards the general consumer.
Rational conversation isn't impossible just because I don't care about your diary entries, or what you feel like discussing right now. It's been discussed on here to death many times before. Memory card pricing is not why the Vita failed. That's nothing but a really stupid cliche that exists on the CAG forums from some reason. It failed because there was no software support, and very little support from Sony who manufactured it. People don't buy systems that don't have any new games releasing. Sony even went out of their way back in ~2013 to say that they won't really be supporting the Vita much in the future. Which sounded really weird at the time. Sony made it perfectly clear that the Vita had no future in NA and they had no interest in promoting their own system.

Odin Sphere is one of the last Vita games I still need to get. Never played the PS2 version

Started up World of Final Fantasy, yes, another RPG after CS2 :p

HELP:

BBY auto issued my $20 cert and it expires May 6. If I use it to preorder God Wars or another Vita game that comes out after May 6, will the cert be denied at the time of ship? 

Curious how much did this fetch you? I just know GS is stingy with money for trade ins.
$60 for the Vita.

Used the "Games and Accy" bonus (+40%) going on right now at GS (with purchase of new Game (Horizon)) to do the bonus. $63 (64), $15 (16), 5.25 (4).

But again, my last major purchases game-wise were all download (like Dragon Quest Builders) so I lost a bit in that. But they got my MvC3 so there's one of those floating around out there.

PERSONALLY:

I didn't like the software developed on the vita. The back touch screen wasn't useful. The Remote Play was a nice seller but was too hit and miss to be usable. PS+ was pretty good for the Vita but I REALLY don't care for indie games. Then there were the couple of adult games that came out (the one where I stroked my vita furiously in public) that made even me blush and so I stopped playing.

The memory cards, while expensive, weren't everything. They were like a slice of one giant pie. Vita was pretty expensive for what it was. Then the "upgraded" model either made the screen "better" or "worse" depending on who you talked to.

In the end, I only pulled it out a couple of times a year for specific titles. BUT the same can be said for my PS4 up til recently. It was a good console, I'll miss it but it didn't get NEARLY the playtime/usefulness as my PSPs.

HELP:
BBY auto issued my $20 cert and it expires May 6. If I use it to preorder God Wars or another Vita game that comes out after May 6, will the cert be denied at the time of ship?
No, you're covered. Plus if you cancel the order before May 6, Best Buy will return the points.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/837679305656147970?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

@Playstation

Today's a big day for @Nintendo! Congratulations on launch, we can't wait to play
1f499.png

Didn't know you would dirty your hands with a handheld today, Playstation.

HELP:

Certs are immediately applied to the order, so in the case that your order gets cancelled, the points will actually go back to your account, and you are not re-issued the certificate, which in your case is actually a benefit with the time constraints of points issuing.

I would like to publicly post a thank you to my faithful Vita for helping me avoid the temptation of that new temptress on the block the Nintendo Switch. Thank you Vita for continuing to be such a kick a$$ system that even now 5 years after I first purchased you, you haven't lost your luster or appeal.  Every time I see an ad or posting on the Switch I remind myself how much I love you Vita.  May our relationship last forever.  

p.s. and thank you Vita for supporting Dragon Quest Builders, while no Zelda it along with the rest of your fairly meaty game library will keep me quite busy for years to come.  Your parents might have abandoned you Vita but thankfully the rest of your extended family hasn't.  

Vita = life.

Faithfully yours.

Dude, Vita lovers are going to be FLOCKING to the Switch once the games start flowing.   The system is legit.  It's like having a Vita + PS TV in one.  There is already Disgaea 5 on it, and Zelda is fantastic.  It's going to have some incredible games playable in handheld format.  I'm just sayin'.

Just a couple weeks ago I was not on board with The Switch at all.   I'm highly critical and cautious of Nintendo.  But now having used one I think this system is going to be very popular. 

Question for anyone with the knowledge...is a Ragnarok odyssey Mercenary Edition worth $25 open? What about a Conception II launch day edition open for $25? Thanks

oh and for those that haven't heard, the Switch is region free and it works wonderfully.   People are already buying and importing Japanese boxed games like I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5.  When the Switch is set to English it uses an English version of these import games.  So any future asian-eng releases are a go.  Other people are also setting up JP Nintendo accounts and buying from the JP E-shop. 

Dude, Vita lovers are going to be FLOCKING to the Switch once the games start flowing.

Just a couple weeks ago I was not on board with The Switch at all. I'm highly critical and cautious of Nintendo. But now having used one I think this system is going to be very popular.
The first highlight is #1 one on why I can easily hesitate buying one. And highlight #2 is me in a nutshell dating back to the N64 (and I've owned every Nintendo system with the exception of the Wii U). Nintendo has continually disappointed me. I'm not a Mario fan but I do love Zelda. Sadly it takes them nearly an entire system life cycle to put out new Zelda games (as least on console, with the exception of reissues) so it's hard for me to jump on board when they announce a new system. Not to mention with the exception of the 3DS, 3rd party support is mostly not there. I am happy to eat crow if their library supports it but I can't see that happening for at least a year maybe more. So I can't say I won't join you on the jump to the Switch, just don't see it happening for a while. Meanwhile best wishes to everyone who flocks. I'm happy staying in my comfy Vita nest for now :)

The first highlight is #1 one on why I can easily hesitate buying one.
And this is a very good reason for hesitation. Patience will lead to lower prices and a broader selection of titles to choose from, no matter how the system performs in the market. Consumer electronics rarely ever go up in price.

I pre-ordered a Switch, but I AM a long-term Nintendo fan, and enjoy many of their franchises and general game design philosophy. The Vita is a safe haven for certain types of games, but is devoid of some other styles. One of the biggest advantages that the Switch is going to have over the Vita is local multiplayer. Sadly, the general design of the Vita makes it poorly suited to local multiplayer. Some potential existed for the PSTV, but developers weren't interested in taking advantage of it thanks to the poor sales of the tiny console. The Switch is very well positioned to take over this space.

For the time being, fans of Japanese-developed titles call the Vita home. And for good reason, it has consistently delivered on this particular style of title. Anime art styles and turn-based RPGs abound on the Vita, anyone with a taste for that kind of game will find themselves right at home. Indie games have also found a solid foothold, and are frequently ported to the Vita.

I think both Japanese-developed and indie titles will begin migrating to the Switch. But for the time being the Vita is a safe alternative to those who already have one. Also, for anyone who picked up a PSTV when they were being cleared out. (you could get those things for a VERY reasonable price)

Question for anyone with the knowledge...is a Ragnarok odyssey Mercenary Edition worth $25 open? What about a Conception II launch day edition open for $25? Thanks
Good price for RO: Mercenary Edition, that edition is particularly hard to come by. Conception II: Launch Edition is a relatively common and can be had for much less than that price.

oh and for those that haven't heard, the Switch is region free and it works wonderfully. People are already buying and importing Japanese boxed games like I am Setsuna and Disgaea 5. When the Switch is set to English it uses an English version of these import games. So any future asian-eng releases are a go. Other people are also setting up JP Nintendo accounts and buying from the JP E-shop.
PS Vita is also region free, the language option for games from other regions are purely dependent on the developer/publisher choosing to include them. Not every game released will include additional languages on cart. There are Vita games with alternate languages selectable in the main menus as well, so this feature is nothing unique to Switch. The Neo Geo MVS was the first game system to automatically set the language setting based on the region in which the system had been purchased, again dependent on whether the developer included additional languages on the game cart or not. And we can set up PSN JP accounts on any of our online connective PlayStation systems since the PSP (PSP, PS3, Vita, and PS4), so this should be viewed only as Nintendo actually paying attention to features which we consumers like to have the option of using offered by the competition.

The first highlight is #1 one on why I can easily hesitate buying one. And highlight #2 is me in a nutshell dating back to the N64 (and I've owned every Nintendo system with the exception of the Wii U). Nintendo has continually disappointed me. I'm not a Mario fan but I do love Zelda. Sadly it takes them nearly an entire system life cycle to put out new Zelda games (as least on console, with the exception of reissues) so it's hard for me to jump on board when they announce a new system. Not to mention with the exception of the 3DS, 3rd party support is mostly not there. I am happy to eat crow if their library supports it but I can't see that happening for at least a year maybe more. So I can't say I won't join you on the jump to the Switch, just don't see it happening for a while. Meanwhile best wishes to everyone who flocks. I'm happy staying in my comfy Vita nest for now :)
Yes, Nintendo has developed for itself a rather bad reputation of disappointing their consumers base, they pioneered the process, Sega just took it to "the next level". *cough* Couldn't resist. Yes, well, I do not see the Switch in its present form as being a viable system, Nintendo has made to many mistakes with it already. As far as I'm concerned, everyone who has already bought it are effectively being used by the big "N" as hardware beta testing guinea pigs. I might be interested in a hardware revision of the system somewhere down the road in a couple of years if this platform is even still around for that long. Check my video for problems I have with the system.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mau2-NNFVj0

PS Vita is also region free, the language option for games from other regions are purely dependent on the developer/publisher choosing to include them. Not every game released will include additional languages on cart. There are Vita games with alternate languages selectable in the main menus as well, so this feature is nothing unique to Switch. The Neo Geo MVS was the first game system to automatically set the language setting based on the region in which the system had been purchased, again dependent on whether the developer included additional languages on the game cart or not. And we can set up PSN JP accounts on any of our online connective PlayStation systems since the PSP (PSP, PS3, Vita, and PS4), so this should be viewed only as Nintendo actually paying attention to features which we consumers like to have the option of using offered by the competition.
I know all of these things.

I was talking about the Nintendo Switch that released yesterday. Offering details that people here may not know or have not considered. It's a perspective that hasn't quite clicked with everyone yet.

This isn't "us and them". The point is that the Switch is going to be a natural continuation of features that are already offered on the Vita, and admired by its staunch supporters. It is a Vita successor in several ways.

For me so far, region free is the best selling point of the NS. Sadly, that is the only feature or game of interest to me currently, but I'm sure that will change over time.

This is a Vita discussion and deals thread. Please those who are going to be talking about the Nintendo Switch, go make a new topic. We don't need to talk about other consoles or comparing them.

Want to hear a quick GameStop vita story?

Bought hatsune miku project F 2nd from the online store got here yesterday and......it's the first one which isn't a problem since I was going to buy that eventually. The kicker is it's the Japanese nothing is in English how that made its way into GS dunno.

bread's done
Back