PS2 Codebreaker $4.97 on clearance at Radio Shack

grifta67

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone. Saw this while I was at a Radio Shack picking up the clearanced DS case.

The only difficulty is that there's no way to tell what version Codebreaker it is. Mine had two different ones, one shaped like a lock and one in a thin regtangular package that said "Get More Game" really big on the top. I got the latter and I'm 95% sure its the latest version.

I really have no desire to cheat on my games, but being able to transfer save files off my mem cards onto a USB drive is incredible!

Link to the product page so you can do a local store seach for inventory.

[quote name='Ubichu']That's a bummer! I wasted my time getting a Code Breaker for nothing since the PS2 slim I just bought was the latest SCPH-75001. When you say "lead you down a bad road", are you referring just to USB compatibility or are there more problems? Is there a FAQ somewhere that describes all the bad things about the SCPH-75001?

I wonder if I should open it and try it or just return it? I'm afraid Rat Shack may not take it back opened because they could say it's opened software.[/QUOTE]
It was a joke. A lame one, as I now see, but I was still trying to make a point: avoid the 750-series like the plague. The only problems I now know of are the problem games, which were listed in one of the links in that topic wbc posted, and the USB port incompatability. The problem games weren't something to miss, but this USB problem is essentially the straw that breaks the camel's back. Sony used some cheap-o parts in the 750-series, and it really shows now.

Advice to anyone who wants a slim PS2:
Find the 700-series anyway you can, even if you have to buy it used, or find establishments that still have their first-shipment stock.

I read that Sony combined the Emotion chip with the Graphics chip into one single chip, plus new bios and chipset in the 75000 series (V14) to save cost. The 75000 series is very different (probably for the worst?) from its previous versions.

[quote name='Cao Cao']The problem games weren't something to miss, but this USB problem is essentially the straw that breaks the camel's back. Sony used some cheap-o parts in the 750-series, and it really shows now.

Advice to anyone who wants a slim PS2:
Find the 700-series anyway you can, even if you have to buy it used, or find establishments that still have their first-shipment stock.[/quote]
Thanks for explaining. I have no idea where I'd find a new 700-series slim unit, especially one for $99.99 after rebate. Since I'm a stickler for a new system, I think I'm probably stuck with the 75000 unless someone can suggest some place that might have them. Anyone know of such a place online?

Have the cheap-o parts been dying on people's SCPH-75000 consoles or does cheap-o just mean they aren't fully compatible with prior hardware (which sounds more like a software issue to me)?

Someone previously said that a newer version of Code Breaker should fix the 75000 console USB issues, so maybe waiting for that is my better option. I suppose I could use this V9.0 Game Breaker just for game cheats. If the only games that don't work are certain old PS1 games, that's no biggie because I still have my old PS1. I am bummed about the USB port, but it sounds like software can fix that, so now I'm hoping that cheap-o parts don't mean my unit will die in 1 year + 1 day.

Damn it, I think I have a 750... model. I'll try it out when I get home, but if it doesn't work, I'm going to be pissed. Stupid Sony.

If you have the one in the blue box, it's very easy to slide out without tearing the plastic so you can return it if it doesn't work.

[quote name='wbc1228']Actually, you're wrong and TimPV3 is right.

cut and paste directly from the code breaker forum
"If you have the latest PS2 Slim Model (SCPH-75001 or higher): Sony has made some key modifications to this revision of the PS2. It seems that the changes they have made to the USB hardware have rendered the CodeBreaker's USB drivers inoperable. This is likely due to use of a newer and probably cheaper chipset. The change does not seem to effect software that uses Sony's USB drivers, but Pelican's home-brew drivers do not operate (Pelican cannot use Sony's drivers for legal reasons). A future version of the CodeBreaker will likely fix this problem. For now, there is no fix for this on your unit."
http://forums.cmgsccc.com/showthread.php?t=1458
So, I'm guessing it is YMMV if you have a slim PS2.[/QUOTE]

I have the 750 series slim PStwo and I am using a 512MB and 1GB usb drive with no issues. I am using V9.0 of codebreaker.

Putting my little flash drive into my USB port and booting up my new PS2 (Bought a month back for the 99.99 rebate at Wherehouse music and STILL WAITING FOR AN EMAIL ON THAT DAMN REBATE!) makes my PS2 explode... well, it actually doesn't run the codebreaker. Putting it in after codebreaker launches, and my PS2 won't detect the flashdrive.

Using 9.0.

Luckily, my brother has a fatty PS2 that I used to upgrade all my save files.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Putting my little flash drive into my USB port and booting up my new PS2 (Bought a month back for the 99.99 rebate at Wherehouse music and STILL WAITING FOR AN EMAIL ON THAT DAMN REBATE!) makes my PS2 explode... well, it actually doesn't run the codebreaker. Putting it in after codebreaker launches, and my PS2 won't detect the flashdrive.

Using 9.0.

Luckily, my brother has a fatty PS2 that I used to upgrade all my save files.[/quote]

Is your USB drive formatted FAT16 or FAT32? I'd put the USB drive in BEFORE turning on PS2. Then put the codebreaker CD in, and turn on PS2.

[quote name='groundskeeper']I have the 750 series slim PStwo and I am using a 512MB and 1GB usb drive with no issues. I am using V9.0 of codebreaker.[/quote]

Did you format it to FAT, FAT16, or FAT32? When I plug the USB drive in and turn it on, all I get is a black screen after the Playstation 2 logo pops up. I only have the FAT and FAT32 options. If I plug it in after Codebreakers loads, it doesn't recognize the flash drive.

[quote name='encendido5']Did you format it to FAT, FAT16, or FAT32? When I plug the USB drive in and turn it on, all I get is a black screen after the Playstation 2 logo pops up. I only have the FAT and FAT32 options. If I plug it in after Codebreakers loads, it doesn't recognize the flash drive.[/quote]

Try plug USB drive in BEFORE turning on PS2.

[quote name='encendido5']Did you format it to FAT, FAT16, or FAT32? When I plug the USB drive in and turn it on, all I get is a black screen after the Playstation 2 logo pops up. I only have the FAT and FAT32 options. If I plug it in after Codebreakers loads, it doesn't recognize the flash drive.[/QUOTE]

FAT32 is what I using. I also have loaded a few data files and MP3's to listen to when I drive. (I have a USB port on my car stereo)

This is the drive I use: http://www.verbatim.com/usb/store_n_go.cfm

[quote name='dbz4ever']Try plug USB drive in BEFORE turning on PS2.[/QUOTE]

When I do it I have the memory cards, USB, and codebreaker disc in before turning on the PS2.

[quote name='dbz4ever']Try plug USB drive in BEFORE turning on PS2.[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I did and I got the blank screen. I have the disc, mem card, usb drive, and controller all plugged in before I turn it on. I have the 75001 version though, so it might just be that?

[quote name='encendido5']Yeah, that's what I did and I got the blank screen. I have the disc, mem card, usb drive, and controller all plugged in before I turn it on. I have the 75001 version though, so it might just be that?[/quote]

Try put everything (Disc, USB drive, Mem Card) in before turning on PS2. Make sure your USB drive is formatted too.

[quote name='encendido5']Yeah, that's what I did and I got the blank screen. I have the disc, mem card, usb drive, and controller all plugged in before I turn it on. I have the 75001 version though, so it might just be that?[/quote]

I don't know...I have the Slim version also....maybe you need to reformat your USB...Good luck.

No, NO NO NO NO NO!

If I put the USB drive in BEFORE I put in the Codebreaker on the SLIM PS2, the CODEBREAKER RUNS AS A SLOW MO SLIDE SHOW! IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY!

I have a 75 something PS2, it'd definitely be the newest one.

With the fat-ass PS2, I was able to remove and insert the flashdrive over and over while the codebreaker software was running without issue.

This is a PS2 issue, my friend.

[quote name='RollingSkull']No, NO NO NO NO NO!

If I put the USB drive in BEFORE I put in the Codebreaker on the SLIM PS2, the CODEBREAKER RUNS AS A SLOW MO SLIDE SHOW! IT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY!

I have a 75 something PS2, it'd definitely be the newest one.

With the fat-ass PS2, I was able to remove and insert the flashdrive over and over while the codebreaker software was running without issue.

This is a PS2 issue, my friend.[/quote]

I believe it's due to the read speed of the CD compatibility, not DVD. I have problem with slow reading speed also from time to time, I hook up PS2 with network cable to update the code onto the USB drive, it'll take even longer.

[quote name='Ubichu']Thanks for explaining. I have no idea where I'd find a new 700-series slim unit, especially one for $99.99 after rebate. Since I'm a stickler for a new system, I think I'm probably stuck with the 75000 unless someone can suggest some place that might have them. Anyone know of such a place online?

Have the cheap-o parts been dying on people's SCPH-75000 consoles or does cheap-o just mean they aren't fully compatible with prior hardware (which sounds more like a software issue to me)?

Someone previously said that a newer version of Code Breaker should fix the 75000 console USB issues, so maybe waiting for that is my better option. I suppose I could use this V9.0 Game Breaker just for game cheats. If the only games that don't work are certain old PS1 games, that's no biggie because I still have my old PS1. I am bummed about the USB port, but it sounds like software can fix that, so now I'm hoping that cheap-o parts don't mean my unit will die in 1 year + 1 day.[/QUOTE]
By cheap-o parts, I meant that Sony was using less expensive parts without caring about the new parts' incompatibility with older software and hardware. Of course, they probably did this to ensure a larger profit margin on PS2 hardware, and provide an umbrella of sorts to absorb the losses that are obviously coming with the PS3 hardware.

From the incompatability topic:
http://www.us.playstation.com/News/ConsumerAlerts/softwareTitles_75001.html

[quote name='dbz4ever']I believe it's due to the read speed of the CD compatibility, not DVD. I have problem with slow reading speed also from time to time, I hook up PS2 with network cable to update the code onto the USB drive, it'll take even longer.[/quote]

I do not truly understand what you are saying my friend, but I shall spell out all I know.

Codebreaker would not run properly with the USB drive in the slim PS2 before turning it on. Tested this multiple times.

Without the flash drive, it ran fine. Inserting the flash drive after being turned on (On slim) would not break anything, Codebreaker simply would not detect it.

On the fatty PS2, with or without the USB drive, Codebreaker ran properly on start.

On the fatty PS2, inserting and removing the USB flash drive didn't seem to have any ill effects during run time. I didn't try to "test" it by inserting and removing while still on the device menus.

hey all, first time poster, long time observer...

I bought the version 9.0 codebreaker, but for some reason it keeps coming up disc read error with that CD. I should mention that I have the first ever series of giant PS2, however not one of my other games has a problem running. Does anyone else know of any solutions? The Disc is brand new with no scratches whatsoever.... TIA

[quote name='Jinkies10']hey all, first time poster, long time observer...

I bought the version 9.0 codebreaker, but for some reason it keeps coming up disc read error with that CD. I should mention that I have the first ever series of giant PS2, however not one of my other games has a problem running. Does anyone else know of any solutions? The Disc is brand new with no scratches whatsoever.... TIA[/quote]

I'd try google for solution in other forums, is your PS2 mod-ed or bought from Japan? Try booting up the CD without any USB drive or mem card in PS2.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I do not truly understand what you are saying my friend, but I shall spell out all I know.

Codebreaker would not run properly with the USB drive in the slim PS2 before turning it on. Tested this multiple times.

Without the flash drive, it ran fine. Inserting the flash drive after being turned on (On slim) would not break anything, Codebreaker simply would not detect it.

On the fatty PS2, with or without the USB drive, Codebreaker ran properly on start.

On the fatty PS2, inserting and removing the USB flash drive didn't seem to have any ill effects during run time. I didn't try to "test" it by inserting and removing while still on the device menus.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing it up ;)

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']can someone designate the versions by the box for us? I'm totally confused if its a v7 v8 v9, cuz I want to transfer saves onto my pc.[/QUOTE]

They don't make it clear, but I think that you can look directly above the UPC code on the back of the box, and it should tell you what version you have.

suko - yes it works with ps1 games....

DBZ - that is the series and it is unmodded....I tried it with no mem cards or anything and same result, disc read error

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']They don't make it clear, but I think that you can look directly above the UPC code on the back of the box, and it should tell you what version you have.[/QUOTE]
Some do, some don't I believe. I found a v7, 8 and 9 yesterday in my searches and here's what I noted...

V7 - Rectangular blue plastic case. Version was listed on back above the SKU. Had Over 30,000+ codes stamped on it.

V8.1 - Lock shaped plastic case. Couldn't find the version anywhere, but on the front at the bottom is a raised gold stamp (quality seal) and you can see the disk underneath. Shake the disc a bit and you can rotate it so you can easily see the version #. Had over 45,000+ codes and 600+ games.

V9 - Lock shaped plastic case (different than the v8). Version was clearly stamped on the front as a V9.0. Has over 70,000 codes and 800 games, plus a red tag attached mentioning the Chat feature.

Don't know if this is helpful, but at least you can go off the featured # of codes and games on the disc if for some reason there's multiple packaging for versions.

[quote name='Jinkies10']hey all, first time poster, long time observer...

I bought the version 9.0 codebreaker, but for some reason it keeps coming up disc read error with that CD. I should mention that I have the first ever series of giant PS2, however not one of my other games has a problem running. Does anyone else know of any solutions? The Disc is brand new with no scratches whatsoever.... TIA[/QUOTE]

Seems like a lot of people are having this issue (me included) since Pelican doesn't know how to burn (press) a disc correctly 1/2 the time. You have to use the swap trick.

cut and paste directly from the Code Breaker's forum
http://forums.cmgsccc.com/showthread.php?t=468
"
1) Put in a game that loads fine in your ps2
2) Let the game load to the point where the words "Playstion 2" loads up
3) OPEN the top and take out the game
4) The PS2 will now kick you out back to the browser screen
5) Put in the codebreaker disc and load the disc from the browser (push X)
6) Codebreaker now should load!
"

[quote name='Jinkies10']suko - yes it works with ps1 games....

DBZ - that is the series and it is unmodded....I tried it with no mem cards or anything and same result, disc read error[/quote]

Then it's probably your disc...try reading the Disc with PC DVD rom, see if you can read the content.

Damn was about to spend a radio shack gift card but none of the stores had it, contrary to what their online site was telling me. Travelled around the city to 3 different stores in 80 degree heat and came up empty.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should spend a $40 gift card?

[quote name='jngx80']Damn was about to spend a radio shack gift card but none of the stores had it, contrary to what their online site was telling me. Travelled around the city to 3 different stores in 80 degree heat and came up empty.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should spend a $40 gift card?[/QUOTE]

You can ask them to search other radio shacks and have the item shipped, if they have it at other stores. Mine was sent from a store 2 hours away. :D.

[quote name='jngx80']Damn was about to spend a radio shack gift card but none of the stores had it, contrary to what their online site was telling me. Travelled around the city to 3 different stores in 80 degree heat and came up empty.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should spend a $40 gift card?[/quote]

Sell it on Ebay

[quote name='wbc1228']Seems like a lot of people are having this issue (me included) since Pelican doesn't know how to burn (press) a disc correctly 1/2 the time. You have to use the swap trick.

cut and paste directly from the Code Breaker's forum
http://forums.cmgsccc.com/showthread.php?t=468
"
1) Put in a game that loads fine in your ps2
2) Let the game load to the point where the words "Playstion 2" loads up
3) OPEN the top and take out the game
4) The PS2 will now kick you out back to the browser screen
5) Put in the codebreaker disc and load the disc from the browser (push X)
6) Codebreaker now should load!
"[/quote]

I tried doing that as well and it was unsuccessful....its weird because sometimes the disc will work and sometimes it will not.....Btw...i know this shouldn't really go here, but does anyone know where i can get roster saves for NCAA Fottball 2003? TIA

I had to go to two Radio Shacks before finding any Codebreakers. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember what the details on the versions were, so I just randomly chose. In the end, I got stuck with an 8.1. Oh well, as long as I can use the USB drive, I don't care what version I get. ;)

Got the last one at the Altamonte Mall in Altamonte Springs, FL. Turns out to be a version 9.1. It was in a blue rectangular case. There were two left at the Casselberry location but I think they were a lower version level, in the padlock packaging. Used it this weekend, not bad.

Is the version number imprinted near the UPC? The codebreaker website says so but the fact that people buying it without certainty of which version they got leads me to believe that the version number is not visible from the outside packaging.

[quote name='eau']Is the version number imprinted near the UPC? The codebreaker website says so but the fact that people buying it without certainty of which version they got leads me to believe that the version number is not visible from the outside packaging.[/QUOTE]

The 8.0 is easiest to detect, as the version is right above the UPC. The 8.1 I got did NOT have the version above the UPC...I took a wild guess since the RS employee told me they got those later than the 8.0.

The easiest hint is to look for how many codes are supported, as mentioned earlier in the thread. The 8.1 supports some 45,000 codes, blah blah blah blah. But since it still supports the USB drive, I'm not going to complain or look for a 9.0+. :S

Great deal OP...'been looking for some way to save bux on all those memory cards.

Picked up the last Code Breaker in town, v7 ...called Pelikan..the support guy says the only difference in versions is the game codes on the CD. That's it.

[quote name='encendido5']So is there any other device that will let you save onto a usb stick with a 75000 series PS2?[/quote]
I use ActionReplay Max action to transfer saved games from mem card to USB drive. You might want to look into that.

[quote name='dbz4ever']I use ActionReplay Max action to transfer saved games from mem card to USB drive. You might want to look into that.[/QUOTE]

I tried Action Replay MAX before. It was really slow on my slim PS2. How was your experience with it?

[quote name='wbc1228']I tried Action Replay MAX before. It was really slow on my slim PS2. How was your experience with it?[/quote]

Ya it's kinda slow if you're loading and saving the codes from online directly on PS2. Otherwise it works pretty well for me so far.

Thanks for the info dbz4ever, but it seems like that thing's $30 at most places... I guess it will be a while before I find one of those for $5.

[quote name='encendido5']Thanks for the info dbz4ever, but it seems like that thing's $30 at most places... I guess it will be a while before I find one of those for $5.[/quote]

No problem dude. It's just a CD, you can chip in money with your friends and buy one copy for you guys to share.

[quote name='dbz4ever']I use ActionReplay Max action to transfer saved games from mem card to USB drive. You might want to look into that.[/QUOTE]

What version do you have? I have an Action Replay Max that only lets you transfer files to their brand of USB drives; are you using their brand, or do you have a newer version?

[quote name='whitereflection']What version do you have? I have an Action Replay Max that only lets you transfer files to their brand of USB drives; are you using their brand, or do you have a newer version?[/quote]

Actually I use my own USB drive, doesn't have to be their USB drive. I don't know the version number, I'd have to research. I bought it about a year ago.

[quote name='encendido5']Thanks for the info dbz4ever, but it seems like that thing's $30 at most places... I guess it will be a while before I find one of those for $5.[/quote]

You might want to check out TRU, someone just got one for $15, good luck, buddy.

bread's done
Back