PS2 dropping to $99 around April 5

[quote name='bsesb2003']People are still buying these, you have to wonder if it is because the PS3's sold now are not backwards compatible.[/quote]
Thats the only reason I want one, I think the lack of the BC is not just to cut the cost f the PS3, but also to encourage people to buy a PS2 if they haven't already.

[quote name='willardhaven']I totally thought you needed an HDD to play multiplayer on Live. I do think it should have been $99 a year or two ago. What price do you think the PS2 should be?[/QUOTE]

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you don't. I remember when the 360 came out, you couldn't play on Live with the Core because you needed some memory to save your profile. Memory cards were $40 and hard drives were $100, so of course the hard drive was a better value. So at that time it seemed like you needed a hard drive to play on Live. Since the Arcade comes with memory now, that problem is solved. Of course you can't play original Xbox games or download a lot of content, but I think you can play 360 games on Live with just the memory card or built-in memory.

I agree that the PS2 price drop is long overdue. I would say $79 like another poster said or just $99 with at least a memory card included.

[quote name='unclenebber']http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/13/reuters-sony-may-post-1-1-billion-loss/

Please stop pretending that Sony is doing well, because they aren't.

That doesn't mean the ps3 isn't great, or that it won't beat 360, it means that they've made several mistakes, and are losing money.[/quote]

Microsoft lost 1.1 billion dollars on defective 360 hardware? but does that mean they are doing bad.. Like i said Sony is doing just fine..They will lose market share but their main goal right now is to make more profit right now..I am not saying that their not losing money on the PS3 but its not as big of a lost. The PS3 can catch up(price drop) if Microsoft is not careful..
Sony Game division posts 400 mill yen profit Q3

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-267745.aspx

YESSSSS!!!, I've been waiting to upgrade from my PS1. Lol, i can use a backup PS2 since my PS3 is not b/c. Thnx OP!

I guess I'm going to have to pick up at least two of these, since any future PS3s I buy won't run these games :(

Oh well, at least I waited for the price drop.

Now I also have to hope TVs keep supporting older inputs.

[quote name='ptuck874']dont worry ps2 still can use component inputs :)[/QUOTE]

I'm a little worried though about whether TVs are going to keep coming with lots of inputs besides HDMI. I don't want to lose access to my PS2/1 stuff (or my Saturn/SNES/NES stuff!)

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm a little worried though about whether TVs are going to keep coming with lots of inputs besides HDMI. I don't want to lose access to my PS2/1 stuff (or my Saturn/SNES/NES stuff!)[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it personally, there will always been fans that will continue to make adapters and what not to fit the needs of classic gaming.

Gamers haven't failed us yet, and I don't see them failing us in the future.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm a little worried though about whether TVs are going to keep coming with lots of inputs besides HDMI. I don't want to lose access to my PS2/1 stuff (or my Saturn/SNES/NES stuff!)[/QUOTE]

I think it'll be awhile (several years at least) before TV makers stop putting at least one composite, one S-video, and one component input on HDTVs. I just wish Blu-ray or upconverting DVD player makers would include at least one hi-def capable AV cable with the player, as I've seen several of my in-laws who bought HDTVs recently, and who have HD-capable components hooked to the TV with composite AV cables that were included with the player. My wife's grandmother, who just bought a 42" LCD HDTV and got a DISH network HD DVR, asked me why her picture didn't look as good as my wife's mother's TV. I went to her house to look at it, and found that the DISH installer had used a composite AV cable to connect the DVR to her TV. I found another RCA stereo audio cable, and used the composite AV cable to connect the component outputs to the TV, so she was actually able to watch HD programming in HD. She lives in a podunk town, so I had nowhere to go to get her an HDMI cable.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']I think it'll be awhile (several years at least) before TV makers stop putting at least one composite, one S-video, and one component input on HDTVs. I just wish Blu-ray or upconverting DVD player makers would include at least one hi-def capable AV cable with the player, as I've seen several of my in-laws who bought HDTVs recently, and who have HD-capable components hooked to the TV with composite AV cables that were included with the player. My wife's grandmother, who just bought a 42" LCD HDTV and got a DISH network HD DVR, asked me why her picture didn't look as good as my wife's mother's TV. I went to her house to look at it, and found that the DISH installer had used a composite AV cable to connect the DVR to her TV. I found another RCA stereo audio cable, and used the composite AV cable to connect the component outputs to the TV, so she was actually able to watch HD programming in HD. She lives in a podunk town, so I had nowhere to go to get her an HDMI cable.[/quote]
Time to introduce them to Monoprice...

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm a little worried though about whether TVs are going to keep coming with lots of inputs besides HDMI. I don't want to lose access to my PS2/1 stuff (or my Saturn/SNES/NES stuff!)[/quote]

Don't most of those older systems look like crap on a newer tv?

If this was last year at this time I'd really consider it, as many of the games I wanted to play were easily obtainable. Now, most of them are not so this does nothing for me. Was really hoping for a PS3 price cut.

Wow, its beyond me that anyone can call $99 for a PS2 a good deal. Am i the only one who feels this way??? I see alot of people on here and all over different websites calling this a good deal. But how??

In my opinion i think sony is milking the shit out of the PS2. The damn thing is near 10 years old. When the PSX was 10 years old, it was almost impossible to find on shelves still and if they were found, im pretty sure that they were only $49. I think the little travel screan was more money than the system.

Even $79.99, which it will probably drop to in a year or two, is alot.

The difference is, the PS2 still has a bit of life in it. Not a lot of games are being released, but there are still some decent titles to be had. Plus, far more importantly, the PS2 has an epic back catalog.

I wonder what Gamestop's prices will be on used hardware. Right now I think it's $60 and $70 for the fat and slim respectively.

I'm not sure if it was already mentioned but is anyone wondering if the price drop is because a software based PS2 BC solution will be ready in the near future?

[quote name='Guy Legend']I wonder what Gamestop's prices will be on used hardware. Right now I think it's $60 and $70 for the fat and slim respectively.[/quote]

This is exactly what I was wondering :) we will find out if they will change soon

[quote name='jkam']I'm not sure if it was already mentioned but is anyone wondering if the price drop is because a software based PS2 BC solution will be ready in the near future?[/quote]
I think a software B/C solution for PS3 is about as likely as Arrested Development returning to Fox's lineup for the 2010-2011 TV season.

As an owner of a non-B/C PS3 who just lost a PS2, the price drop is great news! I just wish it had happened sooner and this price drop had been the one that took the PS2 to fire-sale pricing.

[quote name='eau']How much would the PS2 bundles (lego batman, white singstar) be going for with this drop?[/QUOTE]

same amount? I mean why not, they definately aren't going to sell at the staying price of what was it, 149?

I would guess dropping 30 and go in at 129... but then guessing...

[quote name='YoshiFan1']There was also a drop to $129.99. I got my PS1 from TRU in 1998 for that price.

The final drop was to $49.99 I forget when, I guess around 2001 - 2002?[/quote]
But were those official drops? Or was TRU doing a sale and the final drop also decided on by stores?

[quote name='unclenebber']http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/13/reuters-sony-may-post-1-1-billion-loss/

That doesn't mean the ps3 isn't great, or that it won't beat 360, it means that they've made several mistakes, and are losing money.[/quote]
I think people are saying Sony is starting to do better, in terms of loss vs profit, in their gaming divison. Overall as a company, doing worse still, but that is from trying to sell higher priced TV's, PCs, etc during a recession. People are going for generics and low priced. Their other products are weighing them down right now, not the PS3.

I think people are saying Sony is starting to do better, in terms of loss vs profit, in their gaming divison. Overall as a company, doing worse still, but that is from trying to sell higher priced TV's, PCs, etc during a recession. People are going for generics and low priced. Their other products are weighing them down now, not the PS3.

Maybe we will get lucky, this is all a huge April Fools Joke in the making, and they will just be like...

JUST KIDDING! THE PS3 IS DROPPING!

And..yeah..I'll get a PS3.

>.>

I do need a replacement PS2 but I'd like to see one that can perform the same upscaling/smoothing that we saw with the PS3's BC. Wishful thinking, I know...

but even with the BC PS3, you are still not getting that full compatibility (the software emulation only supports something like 70% and even the old ones with the EE in there only supports something like 95%) plus, you are going to get whiners, like me, who is going to worry about burning out my blu-ray drive. That being said, I would love getting a ps2, my slim one died on me just the other day-but the release day 1 ps2 is still going strong.

[quote name='GreatRaid921']Wow, its beyond me that anyone can call $99 for a PS2 a good deal. Am i the only one who feels this way??? I see alot of people on here and all over different websites calling this a good deal. But how??[/QUOTE]

$99's an extremely low price to get access to the huge library of good games that the PS2 has

[quote name='GreatRaid921']Wow, its beyond me that anyone can call $99 for a PS2 a good deal. Am i the only one who feels this way???[/quote]

Nah. There are tons of people out there who don't appreciate the awesomeness that is PS2.

Personally, I believe PS2 at a $100 is a great deal (and that the PS3 at $400 is also a great deal).

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Nah. There are tons of people out there who don't appreciate the awesomeness that is PS2.

Personally, I believe PS2 at a $100 is a great deal (and that the PS3 at $400 is also a great deal).[/quote]

I didn't say the PS2 isn't awesome, im saying $99 is still too freakin much for a near-10 year old system considering that the psx dropped to $50-new years before the 10 year mark.

What Sony should do is make a PS2/PS3 bundle since they aren't backwards compatible anymore.

$399 for PS2/PS3 bundle. (Or $349 without the PS2 as a price drop).

But this is wishful thinking...Sony is pissing money away anyway.

[quote name='Killagame']Microsoft lost 1.1 billion dollars on defective 360 hardware? but does that mean they are doing bad.. Like i said Sony is doing just fine..They will lose market share but their main goal right now is to make more profit right now..I am not saying that their not losing money on the PS3 but its not as big of a lost. The PS3 can catch up(price drop) if Microsoft is not careful..
Sony Game division posts 400 mill yen profit Q3

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-267745.aspx[/quote]

Sony's game division finally turns a profit -- sells 4.9M PS3s in Q3

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/31/sonys-game-division-turns-a-profit/

Q3 earnings are not relevant, if your gaming company cannot turn a Q3 profit, you are Sega.

On topic, the ps2 is one of the greatest consoles ever, with literally hundreds of good games, and I can't wait until they put BC back into the ps3 so that I can buy one!!!

[quote name='NeoStrider']$99's an extremely low price to get access to the huge library of good games that the PS2 has[/quote]
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']the PS2 has an epic back catalog[/quote]
[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Nah. There are tons of people out there who don't appreciate the awesomeness that is PS2.

Personally, I believe PS2 at a $100 is a great deal (and that the PS3 at $400 is also a great deal).[/quote]
What would you recommend for a new PS2 owner who also owns a XBOX and GameCube? To my knowledge, most multiplatform PS2 games are better on other consoles because of how weak the PS2 is.

Right now I have:

God of War
God of War II
Jak 3
Katamari Damacy
LEGO Batman
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted Edition
Twisted Metal: Black
Viewtiful Joe

and enjoyed playing

Katamari Damacy

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted Edition

Viewtiful Joe

Sorry to go off topic, but since you seem to know so much about how great the PS2's library is, I'd love to hear your opinion on PS2 games worth playing in 2009.

Some of my favorite PS2 exclusives are:

Dark Cloud 2
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Devil May Cry 1 & 3 (there is a Windows version of 3, though)

I also love the MGS series, but you already have MGS3 listed.

[quote name='Doomed']What would you recommend for a new PS2 owner who also owns a XBOX and GameCube? To my knowledge, most multiplatform PS2 games are better on other consoles because of how weak the PS2 is.

Sorry to go off topic, but since you seem to know so much about how great the PS2's library is, I'd love to hear your opinion on PS2 games worth playing in 2009.[/quote]

Hey, I have the same question. I got a ps2 a year ago and I don't know really what's good. Any help?

[quote name='willardhaven']The PS2 is the greatest console in history, and it should never die. How about a PS2.5 Sony? Add in upscaling and HDMI output and charge $99.99 you would rake in the cash.[/quote]

I would most likely buy that for more than $99.99, so yeah...good idea.

[quote name='J7.']I think people are saying Sony is starting to do better, in terms of loss vs profit, in their gaming divison. Overall as a company, doing worse still, but that is from trying to sell higher priced TV's, PCs, etc during a recession. People are going for generics and low priced. Their other products are weighing them down right now, not the PS3.[/quote]

I have to look for the article, but I'm pretty sure Sony's Playstation division was the biggest down for the entire company, and the strong sales of LCDs kinda made up for it.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']I think it'll be awhile (several years at least) before TV makers stop putting at least one composite, one S-video, and one component input on HDTVs.[/quote]

I hope so, but Sony's already got one model with just HDMI, and Samsung has some that are a bunch of HDMI, and maybe just one component or something like that.

I never thought about this until recently, but we could end up without access to older systems just because the new ones don't have inputs.

I guess maybe if someone makes an adapter (it would be probably $100 or more) but could be possible...

I just wish Blu-ray or upconverting DVD player makers would include at least one hi-def capable AV cable with the player, as I've seen several of my in-laws who bought HDTVs recently, and who have HD-capable components hooked to the TV with composite AV cables that were included with the player. My wife's grandmother, who just bought a 42" LCD HDTV and got a DISH network HD DVR, asked me why her picture didn't look as good as my wife's mother's TV. I went to her house to look at it, and found that the DISH installer had used a composite AV cable to connect the DVR to her TV.

Geez, that's nuts. And this guy gets PAID to install it or whatever :lol:

To those wondering what games are "viable" in 2009

PS2 Exclusives that you may want to look into -- most are cheap, too!

the MGS series (the entire Collection can be had for 30 bucks MSRP -- and the Xbox MGS2 sucks)
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus -- while the first may be hard to find, both are amazing
God of War 1/2. I'm not a fan but...
The Silent Hill series. Yea, I know 2 and 4 are on the Xbox -- but 4's Xbox port sucks and 3 is REALLY good.
Onimusha -- Again, theres one of these on the Xbox, but I highly recommend at least the second in the series. It can be had for SUPER cheap, it offers great replay value, and its cheesy in the same way that old school RE games were -- pretty good gameplay, but bad voice acting and translations XD
Zone of the Enders 1 and 2
FFX X-2 and XII
Kingdom Hearts 1 2 and Re:Chain of Memories (Esp. KH2.)
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
the Xenosaga series (with 3 being the most expensive, but best. And 2 being the cheapest, but "worst")
Persona 3 and 4
Gran Turismo 4

Other games I'd personally look into
Devil May Cry
Shinobi (but not Nightshade)
Radiata Stories
Dark Cloud 1/2
the Shadow Hearts series.

Not to mention the 290834032 "family/casual" games, like Buzz and Singstar. And if you can find the old YDJK PS1 games....the PS2 will play those, too...

Most of thoes games can be had for 20 or less from stores like Gamestop, Walmart, etc.

For $100, that's a DAMN good value. Then again, I LOVE my PS2 and the only reason I jumped to PS3 was because I wanted to get the last model that could play all the old games. In fact, just before this I was playing Xenosaga II XD

There are plenty more good games -- just explore what genres you like best. Chances are, every genre has at least 4 or 5 "good" PS2 games inside of it. Especially RPGs.......

bread's done
Back