PS2 price drop soon? Ad at Gamestop says yes! *Confirmed by fellow CAGers*

abhinav

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Well my friend just called me from Gamestop saying that he just got Kingdom hearts 2. While this is all good and nice, while there he saw a sign in the window saying the PS2 has a price drop. It didnt say how much and he asked the guy at the counter and he said it wasnt supposed to be up yet. I know this is more of a rumor but i am pretty sure he isnt lying... anyone who works at gamestop care to confirm this?

UPDATE: This has been confirmed by a few CAGers and has been reported by many media outlets such as gamespot and joystiq. The price is believed to be $129.99 and should occur near the end of april.

Damn! I want a PS2 (gave mine to mom because I'm nice son). I've been waiting for a price drop, but $129.99?

The games get bigger price drops and they start at $49.99.

Dragon Quest at Best Buy in December and more recently God of War come to mind.

A measly $20 drop from $149.99 does not seem like much. At least not enough for me.

I'd pick up a slim PURELY for the reason that my PS2 doesn't have an IR port, and Sony's remote doesn't come with a damn receiver.

Why? Because Sony is the biggest douchebag company in the world, that's why.

Yes, I realize I can get a cheap one from GS or something. BUt I just got a new TV so I need a secondary DVD player anyway, and the thin one would look beautiful amongst all my systems.

[quote name='CaoPi']is this a sign of PSP dropping in price also?[/QUOTE]

nah....
we just got core bundle recently ($199).
it is not a real price drop but that is probably all we're going to get for now

[quote name='FlipSide']Ah dammit My FAT Ps2 is still in great working condition, its the 30001 model and has been reliable for 4 years.. I hope MS follows suit since I want a new xbox since mine has the thorton drive and has been acting up recently..[/QUOTE]

i also have a 30001 and i have to clean the lens regularly, like 3 or 4 times a year. and it still doesn't play a lot of PS1 and blue backed PS2 games. so if this does hit $100, i'll definitely scoop it up, and sell my PS2 on ebay or trade it in. those slims are sexy.

[quote name='addicted2games']They do. This price drop is to attract the "non-ps2" crowd.[/QUOTE]
I didn't want want one until the other day, I played Guitar Hero. I've been looking to get one ever since. Otherwise I own a Gamecube and a GBA.
If the PS2 was $99 I'd buy one right now.

I got my fat ps2 for $99 during a Meijer sale a few years back. It was totally the magic price because a whole pile of ps2s would disappear in minutes. My sister still needs one (making it 3 in our household. . . which is kinda sad, but also fun) and if they go to $99 she'd be able to afford it. Oooh, maybe I'll buy the Slimmy and give her my fat one. ^_^ Those slims are sexy.

I spoke to my local gamestop manager and he told me that they get those ads every year around GDC and E3, they are just for precaution in case they do drop their console prices. (Price drops usually are announced at GDC or E3)

That's why the price area is blank.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

[quote name='suko_32']You think X-Box would follow suite? Cause I'm really thinking about buying my friends halo x-box.[/QUOTE]

No...MS doesn't care about selling more Xboxes.

Sony is really milking the PS2 for every last drop. The Playstation came out at $300 in 1995. Three years later in 1998 it was $99. The PS2 came out in 2000 and here we are 5 & 1/2 years later and the price still sits at $150 and that is for a system with less than the original came equipped with. There is no firewire port, there is no expansion bay, they have combined the emotion engine and the graphics synthesizer together to cut costs. They are currently making good money on the hardware which is something console manufacturers usually do not get to do. The PS2 is long overdue for a price drop but who knows if they will actually do it or not.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Sony is really milking the PS2 for every last drop. The Playstation came out at $300 in 1995. Three years later in 1998 it was $99. The PS2 came out in 2000 and here we are 5 & 1/2 years later and the price still sits at $150 and that is for a system with less than the original came equipped with. There is no firewire port, there is no expansion bay, they have combined the emotion engine and the graphics synthesizer together to cut costs. They are currently making good money on the hardware which is something console manufacturers usually do not get to do. The PS2 is long overdue for a price drop but who knows if they will actually do it or not.[/QUOTE]

which is why i have never replaced mine, though i'd like a more reliable system. but hey, whatever works for Sony, they know how to make money, at least in the video game division.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Sony is really milking the PS2 for every last drop. The Playstation came out at $300 in 1995. Three years later in 1998 it was $99. The PS2 came out in 2000 and here we are 5 & 1/2 years later and the price still sits at $150 and that is for a system with less than the original came equipped with. There is no firewire port, there is no expansion bay, they have combined the emotion engine and the graphics synthesizer together to cut costs. They are currently making good money on the hardware which is something console manufacturers usually do not get to do. The PS2 is long overdue for a price drop but who knows if they will actually do it or not.[/QUOTE]

you sure about those dates cause i think i paid 149 for the PS1 in 1999

Man, I wouldn't mind picking up a $100 PS2 Slim, much more compact than my PS2 Fatty.
Plus, it's easier to play import games on it. Plus I've been worried about the first generation PS2 for a while now, I think the auto tray is starting to wear down. Other than that I haven't had any problems with it.

[quote name='slidecage']you sure about those dates cause i think i paid 149 for the PS1 in 1999[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I picked up my PS1 for $149 in 1999 also. I don't think the price dropped to $99 until PSone redesign came out.

[quote name='Import']I'll pick up a slim PS2 for $99. . .[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it appears that plenty of consumers are more than happy to pay $150 for the system right now, so I wouldn't count on a $99 asking price anytime soon. Last generation saw hardware manufacturers going with the $130 price point over a full $50 drop to $100 even, so they'll likely do the same this time.

There have only been a handful of games on PS2 that interested me, but a $99 price point would make me go and pick one up finally. It's going to be an interesting year.

[quote name='slidecage']you sure about those dates cause i think i paid 149 for the PS1 in 1999[/QUOTE]

In 1999 it was $129.99 at the beginning of the year and $99.99 in the fall.

[quote name='slidecage']xbox would have to hit 50 before i would buy one... why buy an old system when the 360 is out[/QUOTE]

To play xbox games that are not compatible with the 360.
I want an xbox (regular one, not 360). There just isn't any MUST HAVE games (at least for me) to get an XBOX 360 right now.

[quote name='Shivanhaven']Both the Xbox and PS2 will be dropped to $129.99 around the first of May.[/QUOTE]

do you have something to back up your claim?

Or is that just a guess?

[quote name='Indiana']In 1999 it was $129.99 at the beginning of the year and $99.99 in the fall.[/QUOTE]
That sounds about right. I bought my PS1 on Dec 29, 1999 for $99 at K-Mart. The guy in front of us in line bought a Dreamcast and I was wishing I had the money for that. I only remember so specifically because it was the first time my (then future) wife visited for an extended period of time and we bought it specifically to play Bloody Roar and Gran Turismo. There's a slight chance I still have the receipt but I doubt it would be legible if I did.

[quote name='slidecage']xbox would have to hit 50 before i would buy one... why buy an old system when the 360 is out[/QUOTE]
The same reason I got one in December? A good price and five years of games available at very good prices for you to cherry pick the very best from.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Sony is really milking the PS2 for every last drop. The Playstation came out at $300 in 1995. Three years later in 1998 it was $99. The PS2 came out in 2000 and here we are 5 & 1/2 years later and the price still sits at $150 and that is for a system with less than the original came equipped with. There is no firewire port, there is no expansion bay, they have combined the emotion engine and the graphics synthesizer together to cut costs. They are currently making good money on the hardware which is something console manufacturers usually do not get to do. The PS2 is long overdue for a price drop but who knows if they will actually do it or not.[/quote]
yeah but look at it from a business sense. people are still eating up the ps2 at 150. if people are still willing to buy for 150 why drop to 100 so soon? give it a few months. once more deets about the ps3 are released at e3 people will be so stoked on it that if they don't have a ps2 yet they wont want a ps2 anymore because the ps3 is around the corner. the only way sony would be able to keep the demand for ps2s up is if they were realllly cheap. like about 99.99 msrp.

[quote name='xrickyb86x']yeah but look at it from a business sense. people are still eating up the ps2 at 150. if people are still willing to buy for 150 why drop to 100 so soon? give it a few months. once more deets about the ps3 are released at e3 people will be so stoked on it that if they don't have a ps2 yet they wont want a ps2 anymore because the ps3 is around the corner. the only way sony would be able to keep the demand for ps2s up is if they were realllly cheap. like about 99.99 msrp.[/QUOTE]

We still don't know the MSRP for the PS3. If it is really high ($499 and up), then the demand for the ps2 will still be strong.

Looks like it's time to auction off my (as mad flava called it) Fatty PS2. Considering that I have the PS2 Linux kit for it (which included a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse, Hard Drive, and Ethernet Only Network Adapter) I'm sure to get enough money to buy a nicer slim version. Should be sweet!

[quote name='depascal22']You'd think that everyone who wanted a PS2 would have one by now.[/QUOTE]I might buy more of them.:) I kind of wished I had a few PS2 consoles, for I wouldn't have to carry mine from place to place. My PS2 collection is definitely large enough to support more than one PS2.

I'm not really sure if I believe a price drop yet, because PS2 is still the highest selling console, but we'll see.

This news makes me happy if it is true. My old busted junk of a ps2 needs to go, and me likey new slim versions.

:::holds breath... getting light headed.... passes out... cracks open skull on floor:::

maybe I won't hold my breath on this one.

Words from the wiseman is that they will lower the price to $129.99 MRSP prior to E3 but there will be shortage until late summer for the hardware. All U that want to get new slim PS2, this your chance. Also, Sony had officially discontinued the first Playstation which are going to be sold by Ebay Hoarder for $500 by year end........dats all folks....

[quote name='enjoylifengame']Words from the wiseman is that they will lower the price to $129.99 MRSP prior to E3 but there will be shortage until late summer for the hardware. All U that want to get new slim PS2, this your chance. Also, Sony had officially discontinued the first Playstation which are going to be sold by Ebay Hoarder for $500 by year end........dats all folks....[/QUOTE]

what?

[quote name='Apossum']what?[/quote]
He is saying : OUENDANNNNNN!!!!!!

Or in other words, he thinks the PS2 will drop prior to E3.

[quote name='enjoylifengame']Words from the wiseman is that they will lower the price to $129.99 MRSP prior to E3 but there will be shortage until late summer for the hardware. All U that want to get new slim PS2, this your chance. Also, Sony had officially discontinued the first Playstation which are going to be sold by Ebay Hoarder for $500 by year end........dats all folks....[/QUOTE]

And if they get to be that price, I'd imagine you try and convice Sony to let you reprint them and sell them while the gettin is good

AFAIK, this is the alternate account that GQD used to pretend to be a happy customer, so why isn't this name banned like the other one was?

Dave

Do I dare buy a PS2, and give it shelf space next to my Dreamcast and Gamecube? Is the PS2 really worthy of sitting next to those two superior consoles?

Yes. The PS2 by sheer volume of games is worth owning. At this point, there are at least twenty games for any gamer who likes any genre on that system. The only reason not to buy a PS2 at this point is if you're looking to pick up a PS3 and can wait another 8 months or so to get to the PS2 library.

[quote name='Morrigan Lover']Do I dare buy a PS2, and give it shelf space next to my Dreamcast and Gamecube? Is the PS2 really worthy of sitting next to those two superior consoles?[/QUOTE]

Yes, just for Shadow of the Colossus alone. Plus this year's game of the year, Okami.

Is that EBgames trade in your old ps2 for the slim one still going on?

Shadow Of The Collosii is truly and amazing game, all must enjoy it once in their life.

[quote name='sarma81']http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8892[/QUOTE]

the price drop date (end of April) is only a rumor, not an official confirmation. There will be a price drop eventually, the only question is WHEN?
These so called analysts predicted a price drop during the 2005 holiday for the PS2. It never happened. So I'm not sure what kind of sources these guys are getting their info from but I won't rely on them.

I was at my local gamestop today, 4/12/06 and they were selling new PS2s for $119.99.
Me thinks its happened (at least there).

[quote name='taiidanx']I was at my local gamestop today, 4/12/06 and they were selling new PS2s for $119.99.
Me thinks its happened (at least there).[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it was new ones? Gamestop.com shows refurbished units for $119.99.

[quote name='unforeseen']How can a drop of $20 make a big difference?[/QUOTE]

it does... they been doing it for what 5-8 years now?

Ps 2 went 199 then 179 then 149

so expect

129 or 119 and then 99 (in 2008)

they did the same with ps1

bread's done
Back