PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

I am finally frustrated enough with this POS system that I am taking it back. Now I can't connect to the Internet at all. Everything was working fine until today when I downloaded some demos from the store.

Now I can't connect at all. Whenever I try to redo the network setting, I keep getting errors during the connection test. If I try to go back to the settings after that, I can't even change them. All I get is a blank fucking screen.

Everything else wireless in my house connects just fine...Wii...Laptop...x360... only this thing won't work. So much for the fucking great stability of the system.

Rub a Dub or something like that.

More issues now to add to the frustration. Whenever I try to wireless connect my PS3, it kicks everything else off my wireless router, including the hardwired computer, and I have to reboot the router before anything else will work.

On top of THAT, now whenever I quit out of a disc based game, ie Warhawk, Genji, Lair ..... I get stuck on a blank black screen.

This is driving me nuts.

I have tried everything I can think of. I hard done a hard reset on the console, I have reformatted the system. Nothing seems to help.

Have you been putting d/led stuff from your comp on your PS3? Maybe you got a virus that way somehow. Don't know if it's possible or not. But it's weird that it would just get that messed up without you having made any major changes to the system.

Nah the only thing I put on was the demo that was downloaded from within the store on the PS3. I have no idea whats going on. Maybe I just got a busted shitty console. The problem is... I got it at Target and none of the stores in my area have any of the 60gb models left. I don't want the 80gb model due to the lack of EE chip and my abundance of low profile ps2 games.

What happens exactly is I go to Network Setting, enter all my information and then run the test. Sometimes everything work, sometimes not. But EVERY SINGLE TIME when I press the "O" button like it says to do in order to get back to the menu, I get an error message saying that an error has occurred. From that point on, I can never access the Network Settings page again on the console unless I do a restore default. Frustrating as hell I tell ya.

I just can't believe how much stuff is wrong. If you see my post a page or two back, I also have to do a hard reset after playing any PS2 game or any future PS2 games will not load. Just one crappy experience after another.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Nah the only thing I put on was the demo that was downloaded from within the store on the PS3. I have no idea whats going on. Maybe I just got a busted shitty console. The problem is... I got it at Target and none of the stores in my area have any of the 60gb models left. I don't want the 80gb model due to the lack of EE chip and my abundance of low profile ps2 games.

What happens exactly is I go to Network Setting, enter all my information and then run the test. Sometimes everything work, sometimes not. But EVERY SINGLE TIME when I press the "O" button like it says to do in order to get back to the menu, I get an error message saying that an error has occurred. From that point on, I can never access the Network Settings page again on the console unless I do a restore default. Frustrating as hell I tell ya.

I just can't believe how much stuff is wrong. If you see my post a page or two back, I also have to do a hard reset after playing any PS2 game or any future PS2 games will not load. Just one crappy experience after another.[/QUOTE]

send it in to Sony... hell maybe they'll send you a new one. having an 80gb system might not be so bad, just check to see if the ps2 games you really want to play work.

does anyone know how to do playback on a dvd or blue ray. so say i play a movie and stop half way. pop the disc out and then pop it back in and play it, and then have it pick up where it left off? is there setting for this because i tried doing that and it just always starts in the beginning

[quote name='shadylane']does anyone know how to do playback on a dvd or blue ray. so say i play a movie and stop half way. pop the disc out and then pop it back in and play it, and then have it pick up where it left off? is there setting for this because i tried doing that and it just always starts in the beginning[/QUOTE]It does not save your spot, from what I have heard.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It does not save your spot, from what I have heard.[/quote]
As long as you don't take out the disc, it'll save your spot.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Can you transfer PS2 and PS1 saves from the virtual memory cards to a real memory card slot with the memory card adapter?[/QUOTE]

Unless they've changed it in the most recent firmware, it should still be one way only (i.e. PS1/PS2 memory card to virtual memory card).

[quote name='notorious_pip']Unless they've changed it in the most recent firmware, it should still be one way only (i.e. PS1/PS2 memory card to virtual memory card).[/quote]They've changed it. You can send data back to your memory card now.

Speaking of memory cards, is there a way to transfer a PS3 game save from one PS3 to another? Like, could I move a save to a flash drive and take it to a friend's house?

Justin42: Yes! It's as simple as that, just put in any standard USB flash drive, browse in the XMB to your save file, press the triangle and an option to copy it over to the flash drive should be there. Then when you bring it to your friend's house it's just as easy to copy it over.

Is there any way/site that lets you download the wallpapers that pop up with game discs? The Ratchet and Clank one is gorgeous.

[quote name='Vanigan']Justin42: Yes! It's as simple as that, just put in any standard USB flash drive, browse in the XMB to your save file, press the triangle and an option to copy it over to the flash drive should be there. Then when you bring it to your friend's house it's just as easy to copy it over.[/QUOTE]

Cool! Thanks! :)

got a 60 gig ps3 yesterday I can connect to my wireless router linksys wrt54g v5. upon start up/starting/ending a game the ps3 will kick my other wireless things out of the router untill the ps3 establishes a connection then it will allow my Wii and laptop back on. hardwired things are not affected.

whats going on and how to I fix it?

Could be a router issue more likely. Have you given your PS3 a static IP on the router yet? That helps in a lot of cases, your router might be bugging out every time the PS3 reconnects and requests an IP.

The PS3 for some reason likes to reset a lot.

[quote name='?uestion']got a 60 gig ps3 yesterday I can connect to my wireless router linksys wrt54g v5. upon start up/starting/ending a game the ps3 will kick my other wireless things out of the router untill the ps3 establishes a connection then it will allow my Wii and laptop back on. hardwired things are not affected.

whats going on and how to I fix it?[/QUOTE]

Try turning off the PS3's connect to media server option in the network settings. That usually fixes that problem.

Any good PS2 controller adaptor for PS3? I want to use a joystick on the PS3 for PS2 games. Gamestop have a Pelican but doesn't seem to work well with GH2.

Hello,fellow ps3 owners.Im having trouble connecting my 20gb PS3 to my wireless router(Linksys WRT150N), using my laptop(sharing the connectiion).When I enable sharing of my Wireless Connection,the computer tells me that LAN IP will be set to 192.168.0.1,even after I set up a different static IP.I allow sharing then I completely lose connection.I regain wireless connection only after disabling LAN.HELP!I spent all weekend trying to get PS3 online.

Ok first of all I want to apologize for how stupid I am but I just want to make sure I have the right cables before opening them.

So I went to Best Buy to ask them how to set my PS3 up with my HDTV. And They told me to buy this cable http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...V+to+hdmi+cable&type=product&id=1181832625335

And this Audio Cable
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...cable&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1181832400088

Now im looking at the back of my ps3 and my TV and I can see where the first cable goes into but for the audio cable what do I do with it?

I feel so dumb asking you guys how to set this up but Im a total noob and would greatly appreciate your help to this simple problem.

thanks in advance.

What kind of connectors are on your TV?

BB cables are a ripoff beyond belief.. especially digital cables. (Analog signals are a bit different but irrelevant to your question) the same video cable they gave you is available at monoprice for $4 (And since it's all digital in this case the cable will work fine-- don't buy their BS about jitter or whatever)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

That audio cable won't work at all with the PS3-- there's no analog output on the PS3 to plug it into! Just use the composite cable that it comes with to get the R/L analog, if you don't have anything you could plug an optical cable into. Does your TV accept optical in? Get a cheap optical cable, something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

(I'm not sure if you can get audio over a DVI port, but I doubt it-- hopefully someone else with a bit more knowledge can answer)

[quote name='playrufioplease']Ok first of all I want to apologize for how stupid I am but I just want to make sure I have the right cables before opening them.

So I went to Best Buy to ask them how to set my PS3 up with my HDTV. And They told me to buy this cable http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8426223&st=VIV+to+hdmi+cable&type=product&id=1181832625335

And this Audio Cable
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8424225&st=dynex+stereo+audio+cable&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1181832400088

Now im looking at the back of my ps3 and my TV and I can see where the first cable goes into but for the audio cable what do I do with it?

I feel so dumb asking you guys how to set this up but Im a total noob and would greatly appreciate your help to this simple problem.

thanks in advance.[/quote]Please tell me you haven't opened those packages with the cables yet.

The first thing you need to do is promptly place them in a bag with the receipt so you can return them tomorrow.

Then go to monoprice.com and buy similar cables which will likely save you over $40.

You can't get audio through the DVI. Do you have a receiver with an optical in? If so just get an optical/Toslink cable from monoprice. Let us know what kind of audio inputs your TV/receiver can take.

The same HDMI/DVI cable can be had from Monoprice for around $5. Here's the link.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Please tell me you haven't opened those packages with the cables yet.

The first thing you need to do is promptly place them in a bag with the receipt so you can return them tomorrow.

Then go to monoprice.com and buy similar cables which will likely save you over $40.

You can't get audio through the DVI. Do you have a receiver with an optical in? If so just get an optical/Toslink cable from monoprice. Let us know what kind of audio inputs your TV/receiver can take.

The same HDMI/DVI cable can be had from Monoprice for around $5. Here's the link.[/quote]

This is the TV I have http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_Gra...ion_HDTV-Ready_Television/display_~full_specs

I haven't opened the cables yet and thanks so much for your help.
The best buy guy said I need that specific type of Cable but what should I get for my audio? How do I check if i have an optical in?

[quote name='playrufioplease']This is the TV I have http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_Grand_WEGA_KF60WE610_60_in_Rear_Projection_HDTV-Ready_Television/display_~full_specs

I haven't opened the cables yet and thanks so much for your help.
The best buy guy said I need that specific type of Cable but what should I get for my audio? How do I check if i have an optical in?[/quote]If you check the back of your PS3, there's an optical audio out for it. It's the third one from the left, between the ethernet/network port and the A/V port. Your TV doesn't have an optical out, but I'm assuming you have a receiver so check for one.

If your receiver does have an optical out, all you need to do is go to monoprice.com again and search for optical/Toslink (they're called either) in whatever length you want. I believe they have two kinds: one's just the regular cable material the other has metal ends and braiding. Either will work, it's just a matter of preference.

If you don't have a receiver or an optical out to use, though, just use the included A/V cable with the PS3 (yellow, white, red jacks) to run the white and red jacks to a corresponding one to the back of your TV. You don't need to use the yellow plug since you're using HDMI for video.

didn't realize it but just today I realized you can let music play while browsing the web. same goes for pictures. Oddly I learned this from a PS3 japanese promo vid with two hipster kids going to a zoo that was on the Japanese PSN... sad.

My PS3 died Fri, so I gotta send it to Sony. They said that I must ship my HDD and that I would unfortunately lose all my data (since it's a power problem).

So I would like to remove my hard drive and take it to a friend's place to backup my data.

1) I'm assuming you can do this w/o voiding the warranty, correct?
2) Is it difficult or time consuming? If not, I can google the process.

Thanks.

[quote name='primetime']My PS3 died Fri, so I gotta send it to Sony. They said that I must ship my HDD and that I would unfortunately lose all my data (since it's a power problem).

So I would like to remove my hard drive and take it to a friend's place to backup my data.

1) I'm assuming you can do this w/o voiding the warranty, correct?
2) Is it difficult or time consuming? If not, I can google the process.

Thanks.[/quote]I can't imagine taking out the drive would void the warranty since Sony itself has info on how to take the HDD out of the system. Now how you get that data off might be another matter.

hi hoo

Ok so ive been using HDMI and all is well. But now my mom wants to give me her old tv without HDMI(which in turn i want to use strictly for my ps3) it does have DVI and so my question is. what is the better way to go hdmi-to-dvi or get the $20 sony component cable, i know i cant get sound thru DVI but that can be fix with the av cables. all i need to know is which would be a better approach? and are those sony component cables any good? i see those and "monster cables" which is priced off the roof.

--edit--

err after research i found out about hdmi to dvi. now would there be quality lost?

keke plenty of help around here =]

anyways i cant find a hdmi male to dvi male adapter @ monoprice TT

I have a stupid question, but I don't have a PS3 yet, so I'm gonna ask it.

Is the controller that comes w/ the PS3 already synced to the console before you turn it on? If not, how do you do it?

[quote name='janizzzle']hi hoo

Ok so ive been using HDMI and all is well. But now my mom wants to give me her old tv without HDMI(which in turn i want to use strictly for my ps3) it does have DVI and so my question is. what is the better way to go hdmi-to-dvi or get the $20 sony component cable, i know i cant get sound thru DVI but that can be fix with the av cables. all i need to know is which would be a better approach? and are those sony component cables any good? i see those and "monster cables" which is priced off the roof.

--edit--

err after research i found out about hdmi to dvi. now would there be quality lost?

keke plenty of help around here =]

anyways i cant find a hdmi male to dvi male adapter @ monoprice TT[/quote]
This isn't what you're looking for?

I don't know the technical stuff to quality loss of HDMI to DVI, but I doubt it's perceptible to most people if there is a loss. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Usually people here can answer you pretty quickly, but if you don't get a reply, it's more likely we just don't know.

[quote name='mykevermin']It is.[/QUOTE]
ok thanks. I guess you just go to the bluetooth device options on the PS3 to sync up additional controllers then?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']This isn't what you're looking for?

I don't know the technical stuff to quality loss of HDMI to DVI, but I doubt it's perceptible to most people if there is a loss. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Usually people here can answer you pretty quickly, but if you don't get a reply, it's more likely we just don't know.[/quote]

Well I was looking at that but ive already got an HDMI cable. Anyways this morning i did order the hdmi to dvi adapter which is this one.

My only concern prior to ordering it is if it would work, after plenty of research regarding dvi there seems to be 4 variations which is dvi-i single & dual and dvi-d single and dual. Ive read the manual for the particular tv im planning to use and it doesnt really give much info on it. anyways i went ahead and ordered it hoping its the right one. If anyone can tell me more about the differences between the single and dual or wether single would work id appreciate it.

Oh my DVI plug did have all the holes and had a "+" with 4 holes on each corner so i have no idea which will work and i can only hope it does.:whistle2:#

Is the system supposed to beep every time I turn it on, off, or eject a disc? I don't see the point, and it's kind of annoying.

Like I said before, yeah, but that's to let you know you turned it on (because the power button is heat sensitive, meaning detects your finger on top of it).

[quote name='aihuman']Okay,does anyone lose conncetion to the internet and controller when you start up a PS2 game?[/QUOTE]
I don't lose connection to the internet, but the sixaxis ALWAYS de-syncs when I start a PS2 game and when I leave a PS2 game. I have a 20GB but I think it's a problem with the 60GB, too. The 80 GB uses emulation so it might be different and I heard they improved the Bluetooth connection, too.

[quote name='mxpowar']I don't lose connection to the internet, but the sixaxis ALWAYS de-syncs when I start a PS2 game and when I leave a PS2 game. I have a 20GB but I think it's a problem with the 60GB, too. The 80 GB uses emulation so it might be different and I heard they improved the Bluetooth connection, too.[/quote]
It's because they're using the PS2 hardware, so it has to switch over to that and turn off the controller and internet. I don't think the 80 GB does it since the emulation is pretty much software-based, so it wouldn't need to do that.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's because they're using the PS2 hardware, so it has to switch over to that and turn off the controller and internet. I don't think the 80 GB does it since the emulation is pretty much software-based, so it wouldn't need to do that.[/quote]

Nah I have an 80 GB and it does the same thing. Have to press the PS button on the controller once the game starts and after once you exit out.

Haven't noticed if the PS3 disconnects from the internet when I play a PS2 game though... will check it out.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Nah I have an 80 GB and it does the same thing. Have to press the PS button on the controller once the game starts and after once you exit out.

Haven't noticed if the PS3 disconnects from the internet when I play a PS2 game though... will check it out.[/quote]
That sucks.

I think it does since I remember seeing the login message whenever I exit a PS2 game.

[quote name='mxpowar']I don't lose connection to the internet, but the sixaxis ALWAYS de-syncs when I start a PS2 game and when I leave a PS2 game. I have a 20GB but I think it's a problem with the 60GB, too. The 80 GB uses emulation so it might be different and I heard they improved the Bluetooth connection, too.[/quote]I have a 20gb,too.Im have my PS3 connected to my laptop with enabled internet sharing.Every time I pop in a ps2 game I lose connection.Also,has anyone been able to get online with Resident Evil Outbreak?

Anyone aware of how to get the title updates (in North America) for previously released games to work with rumble? Do I have to hop online to get it or will the PS3 auto-update when I start the game? MotorStorm auto-updated when I went online and I was able to find the rumble option in the game menu. Warhawk did an auto-update at the disc loading screen, but I can't find the option to turn it on. Specifically, I'm looking to see how to get updates and how they're handled with the following games:

F1 CE
Heavenly Sword
Resistance
Warhawk

Has anyone had any issues playing Karaoke Revolution: American Idol on the PS3? I have a 60GB and have never had issues with any other game (be it PS, PS2 or PS3). It actually plays, but the screen flashes to black every few seconds and makes it unplayable. Has anyone seen this in this or any other game? What solution might there be?

Thanks.

bread's done
Back