PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

[quote name='Backlash']I have a question about hookup: is there a noticable difference between using component cables and an HDMI cable? I will be using an optical cable for the sound output directly to my receiver in either case, so I'm not sure if there's any reason to bother getting an HDMI cable for just the video for my TV (the HDMI "handshake" does seem to have a noticable second or three for my cablebox/dvr, so I'd like to avoid that also with my new PS3 if the video quality is about the same). My TV is a 52" 1080p Samsung.[/QUOTE]

On a 52 inch 1080p screen you would probably see the difference. Component maxes out at 720p.

Turns out the PS3 slim uses a figure 8 connector (unpolarized), whereas my PS2 uses a polarized one (one side square one side circle). I used the one that connects to the Xbox 360 power supply and it seems to be working.

[quote name='Neo-Nut']I'm not quite sure but I know it works with the 80 gig MGS4 bundle I got. The power cord in my box didn't work so I had to use my ps2 slim cord while I waited for monoprice to ship my hdmi cable.[/QUOTE]

Using an unpolarized connector with a polarized socket may fit but might be a bad idea...not sure. Wikipedia

[quote name='Backlash']I have a question about hookup: is there a noticable difference between using component cables and an HDMI cable? I will be using an optical cable for the sound output directly to my receiver in either case, so I'm not sure if there's any reason to bother getting an HDMI cable for just the video for my TV (the HDMI "handshake" does seem to have a noticable second or three for my cablebox/dvr, so I'd like to avoid that also with my new PS3 if the video quality is about the same). My TV is a 52" 1080p Samsung.[/QUOTE]

My Samsung plasma only does 1:1 pixel mapping ("Just Scan") with HDMI, so that could be a factor. In other words, your TV might overscan the image if you only use component. I've never had a handshake issue between my TV and PS3 either, FWIW.

[quote name='surak']My Samsung plasma only does 1:1 pixel mapping ("Just Scan") with HDMI, so that could be a factor. In other words, your TV might overscan the image if you only use component. I've never had a handshake issue between my TV and PS3 either, FWIW.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. Thanks also to yourlefthand. I am now planning to get an HDMI cable for video and an optical digital cable for sound from monoprice, I think. I assume if I hook up the sound cable the PS3 doesn't also send sound over the HDMI cable (otherwise I'd have to mute my TV speakers)?

[quote name='yourlefthand']On a 52 inch 1080p screen you would probably see the difference. Component maxes out at 720p.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't

Depending on the TV, component can go as high as 1080p.

On my parents 52" Samsung and my Xbox 360, games would be in 1080p (confirmed since the TV tells you when it switches res), and movies (HD-DVDs) would be in 1080i (since component doesn't support digital rights).

My 54" Panasonic doesn't support 1080p at all over component, whether it is a game or movie, only 1080i over component.

Of course, I have only used HDMI with the PS3, so I don't know how the PS3 handles component.

[quote name='Backlash'] I assume if I hook up the sound cable the PS3 doesn't also send sound over the HDMI cable (otherwise I'd have to mute my TV speakers)?[/QUOTE]

You can adjust the PS3 audio settings to select the primary output (optical) and the formats your receiver understands (DD, DTS, Linear PCM, etc). There's also an option that allows stereo sound to be sent to secondary outputs (HDMI) that you should leave unchecked.

[quote name='Backlash']Not sure how kosher it is to link to another forum, but this PS3 thread in the AVS Forums is absolutely excellent. Hope it helps others as it helped me.[/QUOTE]

For audio/video questions this is a great thread. This should be put in the 1st post. Great info on truehd sound and why it doesn't show truehd but is actually doing truehd.

[quote name='rmb']For audio/video questions this is a great thread. This should be put in the 1st post. Great info on truehd sound and why it doesn't show truehd but is actually doing truehd.[/QUOTE]Added to Links section. Thanks Backlash for the info.

Sorry I've been unable to update this thread at all. I'm glad you guys are still finding it useful though.

[quote name='espy605']In my experience, I'm actually able to play via Bluetooth while charging via USB on my laptop. Maybe you have to sync first before plugging in the USB?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MICHAE2414']
From my own (very limited) experience, no - all the control inputs/outputs are sent through USB rather than Bluetooth. I can only guess as much because I tried plugging in a SIXAXIS into a laptop's USB port for charging and then tried syncing it up via Bluetooth to use with the PS3, but it wouldn't work.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='willardhaven']If I plug the controller in via USB port does the controller still emit Bluetooth microwaves?[/QUOTE]

Dang, I did some tests when I first got mine-I got the impression that it's actually switching to USB mode when plugged in to the PS3 through USB, not just powering off it, but I can't remember why I decided that. I hope that's the case, but it would take more engineering on Sony's part (but then this IS Sony and they kind of over engineer everything).

I've got the USB wall charger. When using it, you can still use the controller but you can't turn the system on with the PS button.

I have to unplug the cord- turn it on, then plug it back in.

I think my PS3 is still "working"... it doesn't isn't displaying anything (bad GPU is my guess).

Once I pick up a replacement, I was thinking of trying to transfer the files "blindly". Basically going through the menu with no display. Does anyone know of a video of the new file transferring process so I can find out the sequence of buttons I'll need to press?

Are you on the latest firmware on that one?
And you have held down the power button when turning it on to reset the video settings I'm assuming?

[quote name='dallow']Are you on the latest firmware on that one?
And you have held down the power button when turning it on to reset the video settings I'm assuming?[/QUOTE]

Oh good catch, it is one update back... I believe. So there goes that.

And yeah I tried everything Dallow. Different cables, resetting and what not.

[quote name='mguiddy']Can't you blindly update the firmware as well?[/QUOTE]

I think so.

I'm not going to bother now though. I got most of the save files I wanted recently backed up (got it to display for a few minutes). I can redownload my PSN files I guess. Think I have enough uses left. Burned them 2-3 replacement PS3's already so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks.

Whats this about deactivating accounts when swapping PS3's?

I can't use my old PS3 so when my replacement comes, what should I do to get my old accounts onto it?

[quote name='NamPaehc']Whats this about deactivating accounts when swapping PS3's?

I can't use my old PS3 so when my replacement comes, what should I do to get my old accounts onto it?[/QUOTE]

If you have a Backup, you can restore your account but a lot of things won't restore properly or at all. You could also just sign in if you remember your PSN login credentials. The first is the easiest if you don't have the ability to use the new PS3 transfer tool.

I say, do a blind update.

And use the transfer tool copy everything including locked saves.
You then do a blind deactivation for your PSN account(s).

Good idea about the blind deactivation. If that's possible, do it! That's the most important thing (followed by saves I guess).

[quote name='dallow']I know video doesn't work but no sound out either?[/QUOTE]

No. It has progressively gotten worse since I last posted the details. Powers up, HD lights flickers, power light comes on. Can load/unload discs via the eject button but no sound/video regardless what I connect now. Plus I can't tell if the controller is connected, I don't think it is as it keeps flashing as if it is searching then goes off after a while.

I'm trying to decide between the slim and 80 gig. only difference i see is Linux on the 80, the 80 being a bit louder, and the slim having the bravia link up dealio (that works with my tv). just was looking for anyone elses opinions on it.

i'm going to be using this as my primary bluray player, and for ps3 exclusives.

I was on the same boat months ago (wanted to install Linux on an 80 or get a slim). Went with a Slim at the end based on certain (not all) older model PS3's malfunctioning after Sony firmware updates (not a conspiracy theorist, but possible sabotage?), the price to get an 80 fixed, certain 80gb are loud while others are not (??) and the simple fact that Sony doesn't want these things in existence anymore (confirmed with a new price hike on repairs).

Unless it's a model with backwards compatibility, personally I'd just get the new one, not that it probably matters much. 45nm CPU on the new one I think, if nothing else.

Hey can you move the settings & such from signing up for the PSN to another user profile on the same PS3? I put all my stuff on the wrong one >_> Or can I just delete the settings from the one?

settings? like what?

if you mean stuff like your trophies and PSN friends list that can't be transferred. but if you just put in the wrong PSN acct on your PS3 and you want to switch to a different acct that's easy.

[quote name='Wolfkin']settings? like what?

if you mean stuff like your trophies and PSN friends list that can't be transferred. but if you just put in the wrong PSN acct on your PS3 and you want to switch to a different acct that's easy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I mean. How do I do that?

[quote name='PookaLady']Does the PS 3 need to be turned on in order to charge a wireless controller?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

But you don't have to do a full charge in one sitting which is nice.

[quote name='PookaLady']Does the PS 3 need to be turned on in order to charge a wireless controller?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you can also use the USB on a computer to charge it. It also seems to charge faster via PC.

Playstation Plus question. Is it possible to purchase. And download same game on more than one of your ps system?'Can you put same game on system in living room as on system in rec room, example.Do you have to pay for each of the system to have game?'

Ok, I'm getting a 2nd PS3 and I want both setup with the same content on each. I have PS+, and I know all those games will work on both, but only 1 system will auto-update. So as I get new games/patches/save files/DLC I'll have to update the 2nd console manually after initial setup.

My question is, how does the transfer system from PS3 to new PS3 work? What will/won't transfer? I'm looking to make a copy.

On my main console, profile 2 is a sub account (so no PS+ cloud) has save files that are linked to that sub account. So will profiles transfer and the save files will work?

Ok I just setup my ps3. I have a bunch of questions/comments/observations. I have a 360 so I may make comparisons while explaining.

I had to create a "user profile" once I set date/time etc. I'm guessing this is just like a 'profile' on 360.

I then created a "PSN ID" and used an email account to register. Equivalent to 'Gamertag' on 360. Sony seems to want more personal info than Microsoft as they ask for address and zip code. Microsoft just asks you to use a Windows Live account which required info then.

I entered some DLC codes and then "downloaded" the content (would start downloading once redeemed/confirmed on 360). Apparently by reentering the same dlc code, the PSN store recognizes what it was for whereas on XBL, a message would state the code has been redeemed.

Entering a used code on PSN (that the logged in PSN ID did not redeem) gives a message that the code is not valid or had been used. I entered a 15 character string which gave the same message. I do not like how PS3/PSN handles invalid codes - it should state invalid and differentiate from used.

I noticed entering codes is faster through the PSN store (enter all 16) then through the Redeem Code at the XMB (must be in parts of 4).

Now on to questions.

What exactly is the purpose of a "User" and how is it different from a PSN ID? The one I had was a default "User1". I also noticed I could create more users while still signed in to my PSN ID.
"Users" seem to differ from guest accounts on a 360. There can also be offline profiles on 360 which can later become a Gamertag (assuming the string does not exist as a Gamertag already). How are game saves and trophies work/affected by different Users on the same ID?

How does moving/transferring IDs and profiles work? I don't mean as in a system transfer but like going to a friend's house.

Are game saves copyable or only moveable? Can they be moved/copied to a flash drive?

Is there a way to play offline once signed into a PSN ID?

I hear most DLC is "region locked". What does that mean?
A US DLC code is redeemed/downloaded on a NA PSN ID on a NA console in the US. Would the DLC be usable if the person had a PAL game disc?
A European DLC code redeemed/downloaded on a EU PSN ID on a NA console in the US. Can a person use this content on their main US PSN ID if they have a PAL game? What if they have a US copy?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gamer SDP']Now on to questions.

What exactly is the purpose of a "User" and how is it different from a PSN ID? The one I had was a default "User1". I also noticed I could create more users while still signed in to my PSN ID.
"Users" seem to differ from guest accounts on a 360. There can also be offline profiles on 360 which can later become a Gamertag (assuming the string does not exist as a Gamertag already). How are game saves and trophies work/affected by different Users on the same ID?[/quote]
You can change User1 to your name. Users under first one are guest accounts, or sub accounts. You can name them anything, but each one can only be linked to one PSN ID. If they are never linked to a PSN ID, they are just that, guest account. Which at any time could later become a PSN ID.

If you are playing a game on main profile, and player2 selects their profile for co-op games, they will not be signed into PSN, only 1 active PSN user online at a time. Their character data will be saved on their profile, for later trophy hunting if want.

Any 2nd/3rd/etc user/profile on your system can link to your SO/friend/family members PSN ID. They can earn their own trophies while on that account, but not at same time you are on main account. If they get their own PS3, they can use that same PSN ID, and after syncing trophies on your PS3, it should show up on their profile on their PS3.

Any co-op game that lets you pick your profile in-game, will save their info on their profile even if you are the active profile. Any game they play while active on their profile also saves their own save files under their profile.

How does moving/transferring IDs and profiles work? I don't mean as in a system transfer but like going to a friend's house.

Are game saves copyable or only moveable? Can they be moved/copied to a flash drive?
I hope someone answers my system transfer profile question up above^

But I do know that most saves you can backup on a USB. Some (like Dungeon Defenders) are locked and you cannot backup unless you have PS+. So once any non-protected save file is on the USB you can take your save files to a friends, and as long as you have your user/profile and PSN ID set up on their consoles, it should work. I'm basing that guess off PS+ Cloud. PS+ Cloud can do just that, but with save protected files too.

Is there a way to play offline once signed into a PSN ID?
Yes. On the XMB there is a option called "Account Management", top option above trophies. Press Triangle and select "Sign out". You'll be offline.

I hear most DLC is "region locked". What does that mean?
A US DLC code is redeemed/downloaded on a NA PSN ID on a NA console in the US. Would the DLC be usable if the person had a PAL game disc?
A European DLC code redeemed/downloaded on a EU PSN ID on a NA console in the US. Can a person use this content on their main US PSN ID if they have a PAL game? What if they have a US copy?
If you buy/have DLC from US store but have a PAL game disc, no it shouldn't work. In fact, you can't even redeem EU DLC unless you are on a EU account. You'll get error message.

What does work is make a new profile linked with EU account, get/download EU DLC, but it will only work on PAL game disc.

[quote name='nbballard']When you do a PS3-to-PS3 system transfer, all of the content is moved. This includes previously copy-locked items.[/QUOTE]

Crap. I need a copy, I don't want to have to download 70+ games from a 1,800+ download history list :(

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You'd have to do a back-up/restore to an external have drive to do that, which wouldn't bring over locked saves since it's not being restored to the same system.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/798/kw/backup[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that would actually work for what I want! For the new system, the only locked saves I care about having on both systems are on my main profile which has PS+. The 2nd system sub-profiles with those locked saves only need to be on 1 system.

bread's done
Back