ps3/360 SF fightpads $18/$20 Buy.com (FS for ps3)

nnickers

CAGiversary!
http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchresults.asp?querytype=home&qu=fightpad&qxt=home&display=col
Buy.com is currently selling ps3 fightpads for $18.50 with free shipping and 360 fightpads for $20 and change (without free shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1280596028/ref=sr_st?keywords=street+fighter+fightpad&page=1&rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A!11846801%2Ck%3Astreet+fighter+fightpad&sort=price
Also on sale at Amazon for $23.95 ps3 and $27.75 360 if anyone would rather burn Amazon credit.

For anyone into fighting games who doesn't already have one, I cannot say enough for just how great they are.
Personally, as someone who owns a Tournament Edition stick, I actually prefer my fightpad, and the pads are a fifth of the price of a stick here.

Worth mentioning:
The ps3 versions, which are wireless, seem to be a little janky judging by reviews, and are known to be unusable when trying to sync two simultaneously. Not sure if these problems were specific to an old production run or ongoing. Maybe anyone who has experience with them can give some input here.
Also,
these aren't coming from buy.com directly, but rather are being fulfilled by a site named gamefather that I've never heard of, but it has a good rating on buy.com, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch out for the
PS3 ones they are wireless and have been known to have lot of issues with syncing to the recirver that it comes with. But I would recommend the 360 one since is corded

[quote name='ttonylema']Watch out for the
PS3 ones they are wireless and have been known to have lot of issues with syncing to the recirver that it comes with. But I would recommend the 360 one since is corded[/QUOTE]

I only have the 360, though I just ordered one for my ps3, but from what I've read, the syncing issues are only when you try to use two at once. Something I forgot about and definitely worth mentioning, I'll edit now.
But, at least for those like me who only play online, this should be a non-issue unless you want to play locally with two of these.

Are these really worth it for PS3? I have SSF4, SF2THDR, BlazBlue, and MvC2. I am not a big fighting game fan, but for $24 would this be worth it for me?

Those madcatz fightpads are junk, if you want a good pad go for the hori ex2 turbo pad.

I have two of these pads, one for 360 and one for PS3. I absolutely love them. They do take some time to get used to, but you'll never go back once you get the hang of them. I also own a TE Fightstick, but prefer the fightpad over it. My only complaint is that the PS3 fightpad is a bit stiffer than my 360 one, so I find it requiring a little more effort to input commands.

I've seen these things get mixed reviews everywhere and other than possibly receiving a defective product I don't understand why. My only guess is that those displeased don't take the time to become accustomed to the fightpads themselves. I also hold the fightpad with my right hand like you would an arcade stick so there's no fumbling around for commands. Try it, your friends will make fun of you, well at least until you whoop dat....yeah.

[quote name='PDJ']I have two of these pads, one for 360 and one for PS3. I absolutely love them. They do take some time to get used to, but you'll never go back once you get the hang of them. I also own a TE Fightstick, but prefer the fightpad over it. My only complaint is that the PS3 fightpad is a bit stiffer than my 360 one, so I find it requiring a little more effort to input commands.

I've seen these things get mixed reviews everywhere and other than possibly receiving a defective product I don't understand why. My only guess is that those displeased don't take the time to become accustomed to the fightpads themselves. I also hold the fightpad with my right hand like you would an arcade stick so there's no fumbling around for commands. Try it, your friends will make fun of you, well at least until you whoop dat....yeah.[/QUOTE]

So you haven't had any issues with your ps3 pad then? I'm really torn as to whether I should just take my chances and order one, but I don't want to waste $20 if I'm just going to get stuck with an unresponsive controller.

Ya love 'em or you hate 'em. I personally think they're better than the Saturn pad. The Saturn pad (d-pad itself) is too small for me and the buttons feel odd. The fightpad fixes both of those problems for me.

For what it's worth, I asked about the ps3 pad on dustloop (the blazblue site, so people who know these things) and I'm hearing positive things so far.
This may be another case where the only people who are going to write reviews / start threads are the ones who get lemons.

Great, got the last one that showed up on the search listing which was Chun-Li for $20.30 including tax.

I bought a brand new Sega Saturn USB PC controller (to use on PS3 for SSF4) and unfortunately it has a flaw in the D-pad where 95% of the time you try to press Left or Right the controller reads it as Up&Left or Up&Right.

The REAL Sega Saturn controllers are 100% awesome though for Street Fighter games. I have sunk countless hours on my imported Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. Which reminds me I'm on my last Saturn controller and I new to buy a couple of new ones. Official ones only of course. Hmm gotta start looking for those.

I've owned a Ken SFIV on 360 and I currently own a Juri SSFIV pad on PS3. They both have worked great. I do agree with whoever said the PS3 d-pad is just a little more stiff than the 360, but it's still better than the regular PS3 controller. I have had no syncing issue with it either. Also, this is a must buy for anyone playing a 2D fighter on the 360 that is not interested in fight sticks. These are definitely worth the money.

how is the turbo function on the pads? would be nice to have one for a couple of BS achievements in various games xD

Is there any difference between the round 1/2 aside from just the character displayed? (talkinhg about Xbox 360)

Went ahead and grabbed one for my PS3... wish I had jumped on that Amazon Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix download now, will have to find something to pick up to play with this, maybe just grab sf4/ssf4.

[quote name='Kaoz']Went ahead and grabbed one for my PS3... wish I had jumped on that Amazon Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix download now, will have to find something to pick up to play with this, maybe just grab sf4/ssf4.[/QUOTE]

No reason to get vanilla since super came out. Super has all the original content and considerably more; plus, though I can't confirm as I sold my vanilla before super's release, I can only assume there won't be many people left online with vanilla anymore, at least no one who plays seriously.

You guys are crazy! Fighting games are made to be played with an arcade stick.
$10 more and you can get a Madcatz SF SE stick. And when those buttons wear out in a month you can buy real arcade parts and replace them in less than 10 mins.

If you decide to go with the fightpad though, my personal experience was 2 defective ones.
I did like them however, maybe quality is better in the round 2's, IDK.
But once you play with a stick, you may never go back. I wish I could play FPS with a stick, I don't even want to touch a controller anymore, unless I have to.

Some people prefer pad. I have both and I like using pad better. As a casual player, I do not have the time to practice hours to get really good with stick. If you do not intend to be a professional player, fight pad is the way to go.

[quote name='nnickers']No reason to get vanilla since super came out. Super has all the original content and considerably more; plus, though I can't confirm as I sold my vanilla before super's release, I can only assume there won't be many people left online with vanilla anymore, at least no one who plays seriously.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I figured. Not much of an online player (play the occasional match of MW2) but never was very good at this kind of game.

Probably worth getting just for the extra (10?) characters.

[quote name='Daring']Some people prefer pad. I have both and I like using pad better. As a casual player, I do not have the time to practice hours to get really good with stick. If you do not intend to be a professional player, fight pad is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

+1. I enjoy playing fighting games, but I don't enjoy them so much that I need a fight stick. I'm more of a casual player when it comes to fighting games, but I can't do shit with my 360's D-pad.

The stick completely changed how I play the game. Takes some getting used to. I got a pad for xbox so as to play with my buddy who only has an xbox....but he hates SSFIV - can't believe they'd think the way to make the game better would be to make it so hard to perform the moves.

We typically play Tatsunoko vs Capcom now.

For what it's worth: I have the PS3 version of the fightpad, and I love it. It also works with the PC version of Street Fight IV.

I've been playing Street Fighter for a long time, and this MadCatz fightpad is easily my favorite console controller for fighting games, even surpassing the Genesis 6-button pad and the Saturn pad.

Regardless of my opinion, for $18.50, it's a great bargain for a 6-button controller with a responsive d-pad. "Elitists" will always find reasons to hate, but for people that just love fighting games and don't want to use a joystick, then this is a terrific option.

As a long time TE stick player, I must admit that the 360 fightpads are pretty good. The dpad is nice and soft. I would buy one for when my casual friends come over to play.

bread's done
Back