PS3 40gb version $399-announcement coming 10/12

[quote name='hhhdx4']I dont see how this isnt a deal.[/quote]

well for one, it's still a rumor and isn't confirmed yet

Is this supposed to have the EE in it or not? If not I'm satisfied with my decision to buy in July. If it does, then I'll be steaming a little bit.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Is this supposed to have the EE in it or not? If not I'm satisfied with my decision to buy in July. If it does, then I'll be steaming a little bit.[/QUOTE]

no one knows for sure, but it probably doesn't. unless they just gutted some backstock and put 40gb drives in them.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Is this supposed to have the EE in it or not? If not I'm satisfied with my decision to buy in July. If it does, then I'll be steaming a little bit.[/QUOTE]
EE was removed permanently from all new PS3s once they switched off production of 60GB models. 80GB PS3s never had EE; European PS3s never had EE either.

It was a cost cutting measure, AFAIK, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to reverse it.

[quote name='p0tempkin']EE was removed permanently from all new PS3s once they switched off production of 60GB models. 80GB PS3s never had EE; European PS3s never had EE either.

It was a cost cutting measure, AFAIK, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to reverse it.[/quote]

thats what Im thinking, no more EE in any PS3's

[quote name='CheapAssAsian']would that mean that the 80gb will drop too?[/quote]

I wonder if this is happening because Gamestop just got a huge new sign promoting the PS3 80 GB with Motorstorm for $599 to replace all the 360/Halo signs they had last month. (FYI the game poster replacing Halo is Ratchet and Clank.)

Well they're obviously going to do something to try to get their holiday boost and this makes the most sense. Their last price cut didn't do dick, but if they can get people to think about the blu-ray they might be able to convince them to buy a $400 console compared to the $350/$280 xbox. That is unless microsoft drops their price again.

A note on the lack of EE, i have yet yo have any problems with any of my PS2 games on my PS3. The emulation software is leaps and bounds ahead of my 360's BC.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Come onnnnnnn motherfuckin' $399 60 gig.[/quote]

That's what I'm talkin about. Even at $450, I'd jump it knowing I could play most PS2 games on it, and wouldn't have to endure the awful "will they or won't they" waiting game on software emulation. You know, like another certain console manufacturer has put us through.

Sony is really making a mess of this. Consumer confidence has to be really low that what they will buy won't drop in price / change in features a couple of weeks from now.

They really need to find a price point and stick to it and quit changing specs every couple of months. I can understand a once a year price drop, or a special holiday bundle, but this launch has been a disaster.

If true this will be 1 price drop, 1 discontinuation, 2 new versions followed by 2 new price drops -- all within 10 months of launch.

[quote name='SoulFinder']A note on the lack of EE, i have yet yo have any problems with any of my PS2 games on my PS3. The emulation software is leaps and bounds ahead of my 360's BC.[/QUOTE]
That's good to hear. The disappearing EE is the only thing courting me to buy a PS3 anytime soon.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Come onnnnnnn motherfuckin' $399 60 gig.[/QUOTE]It won't happen. If anything, Sony may just pull the 60GB consoles off the shelves and use them for something else (servers, console replacements, etc.), since they are more expensive to make (by a long shot).

This 40GB model may have no BC though, with the GS also removed. Sony is doing this because you people want a cheaper PS3, and if you do, cuts have to be made.
[quote name='MSUHitman']Is this supposed to have the EE in it or not? If not I'm satisfied with my decision to buy in July. If it does, then I'll be steaming a little bit.[/QUOTE]Don't worry, they'll either be taken off the shelves completely, and no PS3 model in the U.S. will ever have EE again.

[quote name='Dkellar']Sony is starting to look desperate.[/QUOTE]No, there just trying to make the console as cheap as they can, so cheap gamers can get it cheaper. ;)

My PS3 already has an EE, so I'm happy. :)

A PS3 40GB seems like a given now, thanks to looking at PSU.

[quote name='Dkellar']Sony is starting to look desperate.[/QUOTE]

That's the other half of the coin known as "adapting to market demands." It's not that complicated to see that $600 was a rough price point, and $500 a big decrease, but still very tough to swallow. But a $400 video game console and Blu-Ray player suddenly doesn't sound so bad, given that more than 10 million 360 systems sold at that price before they went to $350.

Sony just keeps giving people reasons to WAIT on a purchase. First the Rumble and now this? And if this system doesn't have the rumble, what's the point?

I just pulled the trigger last week and picked up a 60gb. Regretting it a little bit now if the rumor holds true.

they must be pretty desperate. I think a $200 price drop in less than a year is unprecedented. Granted, it is a different model, but come on, 20gb more and the EE chip do not come out to $200.

This is happening because of poor software support (yes, there are games, but that's not the issue..) and because they alienated everybody. Wii got lucky and jumped ahead based on it's newness and 1st party games, the 360 has had a 2 year head start and a Halo release, and the PS3 is still in "just wait" mode.

they've all but secured 3rd place, imo.

someplace said that the diff aside from harddrive size was that the 40 gb model would only have 2 usb slots. but if its true that you can use any kind of harddrive in the system that you want why dont they release a system without the harddrive included? thatd save them money and that way consumers can have any size drive they want.

Lokizz: They will never release a ps3 without a hard drive because not all consumers have the skills to install one. The ability to upgrade a drive has been downplayed by Sony, and I'm not quite sure why, I think it is awesome that they give us that freedom to upgrade when we want with with whatever size drive we want. This is much better for the consumer than the option that Microsoft gave 360 owners.

it all makes sense now!!! Oct. 12th-- we have a rumored sony announcement and a rumored MS announcement regarding Bungie leaving. There have also been rumblings about GTA4 being released this month. So if you think about it-- the 40gb hard drive, GTA4, and of course, the next Halo would be Halo 4. Now, there are 4 letters in Sony's name, 4 letters in Halo's name, and 4 letters in the word "name." Think about that, then take the date-- October 12th aka 10/12=4 numbers. 2 months before October is August. Now we have 8/12. If you divide 8 by 2, you get 4, then take the two off of the 12, for 2 missing USB ports...you get 4/1 aka april fool's day, meaning you just wasted your time reading this post for nothing (and I just wasted my time writing it.)

[quote name='CaoPi']is there a 20G for 299.99? :lol:[/QUOTE]

If there is one, tell me, I'll get that one for 20gb less space, it is a bargain!!!!!!

[quote name='Apossum']they must be pretty desperate. I think a $200 price drop in less than a year is unprecedented. Granted, it is a different model, but come on, 20gb more and the EE chip do not come out to $200.

This is happening because of poor software support (yes, there are games, but that's not the issue..) and because they alienated everybody. Wii got lucky and jumped ahead based on it's newness and 1st party games, the 360 has had a 2 year head start and a Halo release, and the PS3 is still in "just wait" mode.

they've all but secured 3rd place, imo.[/quote]

Well, I don't think it's quite desperation yet. I'd consider desperation as selling 80GB PS3s with everything in them for $399.99 or less. I believe they have been planning this for some time--trying to redesign the system in ways to cut costs and get something more affordable out by the holidays because they need to put systems in peoples' homes. I also think the timing is no coincidence either. First a cut on the 60GB to clear inventory and keep sales flowing, then the "real" drop with the slimmed/stripped down sku to push consoles during the prime game/entertainment buying months.

In a way, this whole thing tells me that Sony is doing everything it needs to do from a business standpoint.

Obviously, they took a huge gamble by trying to hit the $500-600 price point. And clearly, they underestimated Nintendo's success and paid for it. But it's also clear that they realized this pretty early on and have been actively working to improve their situation without compromising too much of the original business plan.

My only question now is if Sony is working on better software libraries and tools to help speed development times. I really think they need this just as much, but obviously getting more systems into gamer's hands is the priority right now.

[quote name='Apossum']they must be pretty desperate. I think a $200 price drop in less than a year is unprecedented. Granted, it is a different model, but come on, 20gb more and the EE chip do not come out to $200. [/quote]

Of course it's not two hundred less, it's only one hundred less.

This will be good for Sony if it's the same as the sixty but without the EE, With all the games coming out now, it's a great time to buy, if you got the money for it. I do agree though, it will be tough for Sony to climb back to number one, and it won't happen this year, but this isn't a sprint, it's a five year marathon.

It is not a good time to buy if you want a rumble controller.

[quote name='Thongsy']
...it's a great time to buy, if you got the money for it. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='hufferstl']It is not a good time to buy if you want a rumble controller.[/quote]Buy a rumble controller later and play games now.

Oooh, interesting thought.
Since the rumble controller is coming out sooner in Japan.
I wonder if we'll see third party rumble controles in the States before Sony brings them over.

(i'm importing two of them anyway)

[quote name='Apossum']it all makes sense now!!! Oct. 12th-- we have a rumored sony announcement and a rumored MS announcement regarding Bungie leaving. There have also been rumblings about GTA4 being released this month. So if you think about it-- the 40gb hard drive, GTA4, and of course, the next Halo would be Halo 4. Now, there are 4 letters in Sony's name, 4 letters in Halo's name, and 4 letters in the word "name." Think about that, then take the date-- October 12th aka 10/12=4 numbers. 2 months before October is August. Now we have 8/12. If you divide 8 by 2, you get 4, then take the two off of the 12, for 2 missing USB ports...you get 4/1 aka april fool's day, meaning you just wasted your time reading this post for nothing (and I just wasted my time writing it.)[/QUOTE]

Posts like this makes me wish we could rate people's performances. This is clearly worth five stars. *****

[quote name='munch']Posts like this makes me wish we could rate people's performances. This is clearly worth five stars. *****[/quote]Hehe, yeah. Nice one Apossum!

I believe.

[quote name='munch']Posts like this makes me wish we could rate people's performances. This is clearly worth five stars. *****[/QUOTE]

Apossum == Jeff Goldblum?

bread's done
Back