PS3 BC Metal Gear Solid Bundle Returns to Sears

/me hugs his launch 20 GB PS3

It's not my favorite game system of all time (that title will always belong to the Commodore 64), but it's been rock solid since the day I bought it. Not like the 360, which I had to replace 4 times before ultimately giving up on it.

[quote name='ninja dog']That's entirely possible! If someone wants a PS2, PS3, and gimped HTPC combo (I don't mean "gimped" derogatorily, it just isn't a full HTPC), then sure, go for this model. I don't think it's that worth it, but my concept of value involves spending like $200 more for a different, more fully functional set up. I don't think it's eiitist to like the PS3...I think my position is more elitist, actually...I can admit that ;) There's just a lot of subjectivity here, so I don't feel like arguing it...I just agreed with that one poster and kinda hoped my one little sentence wouldn't snowball into an all out war.

The only nerd cred comment was about Linux...c'mon, even a nerd like myself is familiar with the wonderful of installing Linux on everything that has writable memory...and how 9/10 times it's not really useful. :lol:[/quote]

Your hands suck.

[quote name='fidgeteer']
Gladly, Kryn. The only thing I'd like to confirm is that you've either spoken with someone who verified your suspicions or can give me good reason to believe your suspicions are correct. [/QUOTE]

Well, the primary suspect is that the pictured box does not reflect the 80GB MGS4 bundle. In fact, it suggests that this is a reseller bundle of a plain PS3 and a separate copy of MGS4. The review saying there's no BC is strike number two.

The box you're looking for is:
2190.jpg

And yes indeed, I do see the "DUALSHOCK 3" logo on the bottom of the box. I was wrong on that argument, but the point remains, I see more evidence that this is a custom Sears bundle than the manufacturer's SKU.

Considering how absolutely swamped and helpless the operator I talked to was today, I doubt she'd know.

More evidence against the BC model, here is one of the reviews posted on the Sears web site, dated Nov 27:

A Decent Bundle, November 27, 2008
By SoccerPlayer from Toledo, OH

"This is a decent bundle. It has MGS4 which is a great game. The only bad thing about this is it is not backwards compatible with Playstation 2 games."

[quote name='Kryn']Well, the primary suspect is that the pictured box does not reflect the 80GB MGS4 bundle. In fact, it suggests that this is a reseller bundle of a plain PS3 and a separate copy of MGS4. The review saying there's no BC is strike number two.

The box you're looking for is:
2190.jpg

And yes indeed, I do see the "DUALSHOCK 3" logo on the bottom of the box. I was wrong on that argument, but the point remains, I see more evidence that this is a custom Sears bundle than the manufacturer's SKU.[/quote]

[quote name='silent h3ro']Read the description. This is the PS3 with BC. The current 80GB sells for $399.[/quote]

[quote name='dragilores']I don't think this one has BC. The picture for the product is not the box for the bundle.[/quote]

I posted earlier, but I guess I wasn't too clear of what I said. What I said was that I don't think this is the BC version of MGS4 because the picture on Sears is not the picture shown above.

Oh well. Happy shopping.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']This may have been posted a long time ago in another thread because I think I've seen the answer before but can't remember: why did Sony cut out the BC in the PS3's? Were they having issues with them, or was it the fact that the additional emulation thing was putting to much extra strain on the budget?[/QUOTE]

1. Cut costs.
2. "Force" people to buy PS3 games.
3. Distance themselves from the last generation.

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']If you click on the Take A Product Tour button and then on the FAQ tab and look at the second question, it seems that this PS3 does have BC.[/quote]

This I agree with. Thanks for pointing it out.

hmm.. the specs are vague on the product page. better check and make sure that this is bundle backwards compatible before buying it.

edit: clicked the "take a product tour" button from the link provided by op. the specs show that this is the original mgs4 bundle with 4 usb ports and has backwards compatibility.

[quote name='Kryn']I must be an idiot. Or blind. I don't see said button?[/quote]

FAQ's
Look at the second question and the very last question on the FAQ

[quote name='Kryn']I must be an idiot. Or blind. I don't see said button?[/quote]

Finding it is quite an adventure. It's under Overview, in the blue box. It says TAKE A PRODUCT TOUR in white font.

It's very faint.

But I wouldn't really trust it. the picture, like you pointed out, is not the picture of the box.

A few months back, when Sears still had the bundle (that has the picture of the box in it), you could have used the in-store checker. I did it, and found one near me, although I didn't buy it.
Try checking your local Sears. Drop by, don't call. They are not very knowledgeable about what they have in stock.
One day, I called to ask if they had Nikon D40 in-store. They said no, so I ordered online and picked it up in store. Before I picked it up, I checked the store, they had one on display and another stock behind the metal cabinet. Well... I guess now I know why Sears is not doing too well.

Thanks for the sleuthing, Neo Queen Serenity and dragilores. I had things to do today and so added a tentative warning to my initial post before leaving. I'm glad I now have reason to remove it (and will do so immediately after posting here).

I absolutely hate it when threads about a rare item's availability deteriorate into console wars. It really doesn't matter if the posts are thoughtful or witty, since they're always in the way of necessary information.

I'm glad that CAG members like me -- who have reason to buy a PS3 with BC, better IO and SACD playback -- might still be able to find one at Sears without feeding third-party carrion. I hope you'll keep us updated, Kryn, after you actually receive the bundle.

--------------------------

Incidentally, dragilores: Nocturne is one of the first games I'll be playing on my BC PS3 (that and Personas 2-4).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fidgeteer...

Hohoho... All I can say is that Nocturne is the first RPG to surprise me (in a very good and wonderful way) ever since FF VII and FF IX. :)
If you have enough time, go all out on it. The story is .... but the battle system more than makes up for it.

I ordered this from Sears and it is due Dec 4. I'll find out then if its the original Metal Gear bundle. If its not, I'm returning it to the store.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']They won't bring it back with PS4. They said they are done with BC permanently and just look what happened (this is after they promised at E3 to continue BC always in the PS brand). They had nearly %100 BC, then a nice high percentage (still sucked compared to 60GB), and then killed it completely- they won't even spend a second on it next time.

Some may think this is ridiculous (maybe it is but I don't care), this is why they have permanently lost a customer for any product they make.[/quote]
Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think PS2 backwards compatibility will be back eventually, though we may have to wait until the release of the 'Slim PS3' or whatever the first major hardware redesign is called. By then, PS2 sales will presumably have slowed down, and the PS3 profit margin will have loosened up a little due to decreasing hardware costs. The very best case scenario is that they work out a halfway decent pure-software BC solution, in which case they can just offer it as a firmware upgrade.

In any case, I genuinely believe that Sony regards the yanked BC as a black eye on the PS3's 'image' as the most high end, sophisticated, fully featured console, and that they'll bring it back as soon as it makes sense financially.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think PS2 backwards compatibility will be back eventually, though we may have to wait until the release of the 'Slim PS3' or whatever the first major hardware redesign is called. By then, PS2 sales will presumably have slowed down, and the PS3 profit margin will have loosened up a little due to decreasing hardware costs. The very best case scenario is that they work out a halfway decent pure-software BC solution, in which case they can just offer it as a firmware upgrade.

In any case, I genuinely believe that Sony regards the yanked BC as a black eye on the PS3's 'image' as the most high end, sophisticated, fully featured console, and that they'll bring it back as soon as it makes sense financially.[/quote]

This is the "official" reason Sony dropped BC from the PS3:
"Due to the availability of an extensive line-up of PS3™ system titles, the PS3™ system is not backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 system titles, but does maintain backwards compatibility for some original PlayStation® titles." http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/Compare

This statement reiterates statements made recently by SCE officials saying that BC was removed to encourage PS3 software sales. Since the viability of any videogame platform is contingent on the sales of the software, this seems to be a logical (but not popular) move.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']This is the "official" reason Sony dropped BC from the PS3:
"Due to the availability of an extensive line-up of PS3™ system titles, the PS3™ system is not backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 system titles, but does maintain backwards compatibility for some original PlayStation® titles." http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Systems/Compare

This statement reiterates statements made recently by SCE officials saying that BC was removed to encourage PS3 software sales. Since the viability of any videogame platform is contingent on the sales of the software, this seems to be a logical (but not popular) move.[/QUOTE]

Basically it's because people didn't buy the PS3, because they bitched it was too expensive. So they take out rather unimportant stuff out to encourage purchases (and also save money, but getting down to $399) and people bitch more.

If you want BC, bitching isn't going to help, buy a BC unit (4 USB ports) asap.

Mystery over - I received the PS3 today and it is the actual Metal Gear Solid bundle with BC. It came in a huge box - much larger than I was expecting. When I opened the box, there was the PS3 AND the Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle for the PS3. Not sure why that was in there but I'm not complaining.

[quote name='no_exit'] When I opened the box, there was the PS3 AND the Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle for the PS3. Not sure why that was in there but I'm not complaining.[/QUOTE]

Was that on the shipping invoice? I wonder if they will find out and then ask you to return it if so.

The only item on the invoice was the PS3 for $499.99. Nothing else.

I haven't opened it and have no plans to. If others who purchased this from Sears report that they got the same bonus item, then I will keep it. Or else I will just take it back to my local Sears and tell them what happened.

[quote name='no_exit']The only item on the invoice was the PS3 for $499.99. Nothing else.

I haven't opened it and have no plans to. If others who purchased this from Sears report that they got the same bonus item, then I will keep it. Or else I will just take it back to my local Sears and tell them what happened.[/quote]
Just keep it. Most likely, if you were to take it back to Sears, they wouldn't know what to do with it anyways, and either the kid that 'takes it back' would take it home with him, or the Manager will just let it sit int he back room until they decide to add it to their inventory, meaning you just gave them free money.

[quote name='no_exit']Mystery over - I received the PS3 today and it is the actual Metal Gear Solid bundle with BC. It came in a huge box - much larger than I was expecting. When I opened the box, there was the PS3 AND the Guitar Hero Aerosmith bundle for the PS3. Not sure why that was in there but I'm not complaining.[/quote]

You lucked out. Sears.com was only selling the MGS bundle with GH Aerosmith for $600 before selling the MGS bundle by itself. So that is where the "mistake" came from.

[quote name='sabin23']so far i haven't had any BC issues with any ps2 games with this system.[/quote]

I found that 90% of the games run fine, games like Tekken Tag and the Ratchet & Clank games have massive slowdown when running on this system.

[quote name='Vegan']They took it out because the PS2 is still selling so well. Don't want to cut into their own sales.[/quote]

Well, they lost a PS3 sale from me. I've already bought a PS2, but I'm not going to have it taking up space on my entertainment center with my Wii, 360, plus a PS3. If that was really their thought process on the decision, I can see why they are dead last and still sinking.

I just got it today. Its the original BC Metal Gear bundle. Plus, I inexplicably got the guitar hero Areosmith guitar and game???

[quote name='boatack13']I just got it today. Its the original BC Metal Gear bundle. Plus, I inexplicably got the guitar hero Areosmith guitar and game???[/quote]

Don't worry be happy....

Called today, my order has been pushed back to 12/11/08. Customer Sales Rep said that its due to Sony not being able to fill the order until then. I explained to her that these should basically be "sitting-around" and not subject to a manufacturing quota. She said "you have got the wrong idea about this ps3" and that if these were sitting around they would have shipped it to me soon after I ordered. Skeptical about whether this is the BC PS3 and damn sure I'm not going to be surprised by a Guitar Hero bundle in my box.

Amazon.com says they will have these in stock on the 8th. That is odd that Sears and Amazon are both getting shipments of these PS3s. Maybe Sony had extra parts for BC PS3s lying around.

its all a conspiracy!!! sony is secretly building new systems with backward comp without saying officially because of the press release they have put up!!!

bread's done
Back