PS3 bluray questions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a few questions about bluray on a PS3....

1. is the bluray on the PS3 just as good as all the other Bluray players??

2. can bluray run on my 50" samsung dlp 720p HDTV and my 57" hitachi rear projection 1080i HDTV?? (or do you have to have a 1080p HDTV...?)

3. anyone have any good deals on PS3's?

As far as I know, the PS3 has been one of the highest ranked Blu-Ray players on the market. And since it has updatable firmware, it can be brought up to whatever spec the blu-ray discs are at (so it just got updated to 1.1).

It should run on both of those TVs, and you can set it to output at a variety of settings; 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, as well as standard def.

As for the third, I'm afraid I can't help you there.

The PS3 is arguably the best Blu-Ray player, as it can download any updates that come out.

Blu-Ray movies will work on any TV, even my old 19 inch. To get the best quality your TV would have to be 1080p, but even in 720p it looks better than a DVD.

Right now if you can get approved for a Sony card you get $100 off, other than that GS has a $50 trade in on PS2s towards a PS3. Maybe somebody else can give more info.

[quote name='Direct Headshot']will a bluray player look better on my tv's than my hd-dvd player??[/QUOTE]

No about the same.

[quote name='Direct Headshot']will a bluray player look better on my tv's than my hd-dvd player??[/quote]

(The wild beasts eye the meat leeringly and untrusting but it's too late. Bait and hook already set, troll trap poised to spring on unsuspecting posters.)

[quote name='h3llbring3r'](The wild beasts eye the meat leeringly and untrusting but it's too late. Bait and hook already set, troll trap poised to spring on unsuspecting posters.)[/quote]

what......?

[quote name='Direct Headshot']what......?[/QUOTE]

He thinks this may turn into a "Whats the Better format flamefest".

Your Blu Ray Fanboys will come in here stating the Blu Ray has a better picture while the HD DVD Fanboys will say they have the better picture. I say they are the same.

[quote name='cartman58']Holy crap. You've got a 50" that's only 720p? My 32" Samsung is 720p.[/quote]

Are you serious ? Really I'm asking.

If you are... Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the TV and with a 50" or less 1080p is unnoticeable.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Are you serious ? Really I'm asking.

If you are... Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the TV and with a 50" or less 1080p is unnoticeable.[/quote]

i am serious but have no clue what your talking about...

[quote name='pimpinc333']He thinks this may turn into a "Whats the Better format flamefest".

Your Blu Ray Fanboys will come in here stating the Blu Ray has a better picture while the HD DVD Fanboys will say they have the better picture. I say they are the same.[/quote]

all i really wanted to know is if bluray would work on 720p/1080i HDTV's just like my 1080p HD-DVD player

[quote name='Direct Headshot']all i really wanted to know is if bluray would work on 720p/1080i HDTV's just like my 1080p HD-DVD player[/QUOTE]

Thats been answered bro. It will work and it will look about the same.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Thats been answered bro. It will work and it will look about the same.[/quote]

alright cool thanks man im just thinking of getting a bluray l=player because i just noticed that bluray has more movies that i like..

thanks for the quick help!!

If you are... Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the TV and with a 50" or less 1080p is unnoticeable.[/quote]

If my understanding was wrong then I admit ignorance. However, when I was looking I was told that anything above 37" that wasn't 1080 was garbage. I don't claim to know much about it and was only playing off what I have been told.

Size matters its true:lol:

[quote name='cartman58']If my understanding was wrong then I admit ignorance. However, when I was looking I was told that anything above 37" that wasn't 1080 was garbage. I don't claim to know much about it and was only playing off what I have been told.[/QUOTE]

You were told wrong.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']If you are... Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the TV and with a 50" or less 1080p is unnoticeable.[/QUOTE]

You have to take distance from the screen into account too. I have a 20" 1080p monitor that I sit less than a foot from and I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my HD DVDs.

[quote name='cartman58']If my understanding was wrong then I admit ignorance. However, when I was looking I was told that anything above 37" that wasn't 1080 was garbage. I don't claim to know much about it and was only playing off what I have been told.[/quote]
Man this is why I hate all the misinformation out there. There is more to it then that this but 1080i, 720p and 1080p all look fantastic. Under 50" 1080p is more of a selling point you wont see much difference and anyone who says they can from proper distance I want to see them do it.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']You have to take distance from the screen into account too. I have a 20" 1080p monitor that I sit less than a foot from and I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my HD DVDs.[/quote]

See above statement....... I agree you need to take distance into account.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Man this is why I hate all the misinformation out there. There is more to it then that this but 1080i, 720p and 1080p all look fantastic. Under 50" 1080p is more of a selling point you wont see much difference and anyone who says they can from proper distance I want to see them do it.[/quote]

True. Resolution is only one aspect of a quality TV. Contrast Ratio, viewing angles, and more all make a bigger difference in my opinion.

Check this out for Pioneer's CES statement (biased, but the point comes across):

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertai...set-is-better-than-1080p?articleid=1348320666

[quote name='rodeojones903']You were told wrong.[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing, but could you explain this. Why are tv's below 50" even made 1080p if there isn't a noticeable difference? Is it just a money gimmick or is there some other reason? I realize there is contrast ratio as well.

I have PS3 and love watching bluray movies on it.
My HDTV is only 26' and 720p but it provides very good quality picture.

[quote name='cartman58']I'm not disagreeing, but could you explain this. Why are tv's below 50" even made 1080p if there isn't a noticeable difference? Is it just a money gimmick or is there some other reason? I realize there is contrast ratio as well.[/quote]

Yes and No

Very little content is 1080p (Blu Ray,HD DVD, and same games)

TV networks on the other hand just spent millions on upgrading to HD and wont be going 1080p anytime soon.

No doubt 1080p is the future and if your in the market and it comes down even on all arguments then go with the 1080p set. But right now for the money you can't beat some of the deals going on now for a 720p set even more so in RPTV area like RP LCD or DLP. But like said above other factors should come into play first.

Another selling point for the PS3 is that it is HDMI 1.3. Less of an issue now that newer (also more expensive) blu-ray players have it.

The best advice for buying a TV is to see it in person. I have a plasma that is 720p/1080i that looks better than my DLP 1080p. Both are 50". That said, my DLP looks better than a friends plasma, also 720p/1080i. There are too many numbers floating around and too any variables to get a definitive comparison on paper.

On the issue of why 1080p sets below 50" exists, there are going to be people out there that can tell the dfference. it is just the average consumer that will not know the difference. Heck, I bet a lot of people can't tell the dfference between 480p and 720p.

720p or 1080i when it comes to the PS3s Blu-ray player? Can someone give some insight to this?

HD-DVD is dead, no more movies will come out for it after 6 months. All the movie companys went BLU-RAY.

Buy pS3 online with coupon, you don't have to pay sales tax

[quote name='Supernova']HD-DVD is dead, no more movies will come out for it after 6 months. All the movie companys went BLU-RAY.

Buy pS3 online with coupon, you don't have to pay sales tax[/quote]

icon_whatever.gif

You fuel the internet.

What's the use of own HD-DVD when nothing is coming out for it.

LOL!

Enjoy your Betamax and stop wanking off already.

[quote name='Supernova']What's the use of own HD-DVD when nothing is coming out for it.

LOL!

Enjoy your Betamax and stop wanking off already.[/QUOTE]

You're an idiot.

At 3-4 feet even on a 37 inch LCD you CAN tell the difference on a 1080p set. Most people with TVs that size scoot a seat up about that close to play.

At 42 inches 1080p is easily distinguishable and looks great.

At 46 inches or more the difference is dramatic.

To say it is unnoticeable at 50 inches or less is grossly inaccurate, and I would characterize that statement as misinformed.

That being said, if you are looking for a sub 40 inch LCD you could definitely do without it as a feature unless you are doing/ or have a HTPC or a small room.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']At 3-4 feet even on a 37 inch LCD you CAN tell the difference on a 1080p set. Most people with TVs that size scoot a seat up about that close to play.

At 42 inches 1080p is easily distinguishable and looks great.

At 46 inches or more the difference is dramatic.

To say it is unnoticeable at 50 inches or less is grossly inaccurate, and I would characterize that statement as misinformed.

That being said, if you are looking for a sub 40 inch LCD you could definitely do without it as a feature unless you are doing/ or have a HTPC or a small room.[/quote]

Prove you can.... On a 50" screen you would need to set around 7.5 feet or closer for yours eyes assuming they are 20/20 to see a noticeable difference. And thats with out taking in to account the source if your just watching TV say OTA or cable/SAT it's the TV scaling it to its native res. So now you would have to account for the scaler built into your set and how well it handles converting from 1080i, 720p, 480p , and 480i to 1080p.

You say misinformed I say it's a placebo effect, like people who swear they have HD with no HD source just because they bought an HDTV.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']No doubt 1080p is the future and if your in the market and it comes down even on all arguments then go with the 1080p set. But right now for the money you can't beat some of the deals going on now for a 720p set even more so in RPTV area like RP LCD or DLP. But like said above other factors should come into play first.[/quote]

Like I also said above if you are close 1080p becomes beneficial, and my next set will be 1080p. But for me I would rather spend more money on a good TV then over hyped and underused 1080p.

Why am I an idiot?

I read all the high end A/V sites, unlike your ignorant backward asses here who still play HD-DVD on a 19 inch CRT TV with TV volume on.

It's a documented fact that HD-DVD has lost, and everyone is selling HD-DVD stuff on ebay.

BLURAY HAS WON!

LOL!

[quote name='Supernova']Why am I an idiot?

I read all the high end A/V sites, unlike your ignorant backward asses here who still play HD-DVD on a 19 inch CRT TV with TV volume on.

It's a documented fact that HD-DVD has lost, and everyone is selling HD-DVD stuff on ebay.

BLURAY HAS WON!

LOL![/quote]

You're an idiot because the OP was only asking a harmless question. He didn't ask for threadcrapping and flamebait.

Move on folks! Nothing to see here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back