PS3 Died - Any Advice?

XUGrad

CAGiversary!
Well, my PS3 is dead and now I have to make some tough choices. I basically have 3 options:

1) Sony will fix it for $150
2) Trade it in to Gamestop and wait for a new model/price cut
3) Trade it in to Gamestop and buy a new one now

Obviously, the cheapest route is just getting it fixed but they only give a 90 day warranty. I've bought a ton of DLC for Rock Band and SingStar so I don't want to just sell it and stick with my 360. Any advice?

How much does GS offer for a busted PS3? That's really the deal breaker. If it costs you less to send it in for repairs, then go that route.

Your DLC is attached to your PSN account, not your PS3. If you get a new PS3 and sign in with your original PSN account, you can redownload everything. I had a similar situation(my blu-ray drive took a shit) so I use it for workout vids and movies in the garage. I bought a new one because I had money at the time, but if you have the one with BC I would try to get it fixed. What is wrong with it exactly?

These threads always worry me, as I'm really attached to the backwards compatibility of my 60gb Ps3.

If I was in your situation, I'd pay the 150 to have Sony fix it, since fully BC PS3s are thin on the ground.

It is the 40GB one so it is not BC. The disc drive will not read any type of media. Gamestop is currently giving $70 in trade for a busted one. The reason I am hesitating about getting it fixed is I because the $70 + $150 I save by not getting it fixed can go toward a new PS3. If I can hold out until the August (hopefully) price drop, I spend $80 more but have a bigger, brand new PS3.

I just had mine fixed by Sony a few weeks ago (the thing was fried, giving the old flashing yellow light). And by fixed I mean I sent it to them and they sent me what seemed to be a brand new console of the same model (60gb BC). The price was high, but the turnaround was fast and I really couldn't have been happier with how it went. It sucked losing all my saves, etc, but as someone else mentioned DLC is tied to the PSN account, so I was able to re-download everything.

I'd recommend you go that route, but that's just me.

If you end up sending it in, and dont waa lose all your saves and evreything just take out the harddrive and tell them that you upgraded it, and dident trust them to get the one you bought back to you. Thats what my firend did when he got the YLOD

what problems were you having before you system actually died? I'm just wondering if there are any symptoms that will let you know that your system is close to dying.

[quote name='XUGrad']It is the 40GB one so it is not BC. The disc drive will not read any type of media. Gamestop is currently giving $70 in trade for a busted one. The reason I am hesitating about getting it fixed is I because the $70 + $150 I save by not getting it fixed can go toward a new PS3. If I can hold out until the August (hopefully) price drop, I spend $80 more but have a bigger, brand new PS3.[/QUOTE]

Its just a broken laser? Man thats super easy to fix. Just follow one of the guides online and open it up. You can get a new laser for ~70 or less depending on which laser is inside your ps3. At the same time, i suggest having the thermal paste on your heatsinks re-done so that your ps3 will last you a lifetime.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its just a broken laser? Man thats super easy to fix. Just follow one of the guides online and open it up. You can get a new laser for ~70 or less depending on which laser is inside your ps3. At the same time, i suggest having the thermal paste on your heatsinks re-done so that your ps3 will last you a lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Who would do the thermal paste, and do you have a link for the parts?

I debated about getting a new one after mine (PS3 60GB) got fried. And sending it to Sony was the most cost effective for me.

Save yourself the hassle. Cough up the $150 and just send it to Sony. You will most likely get back a different unit of the same model, so back up your data. There's also a 90 day warranty with Sony.

GO TO EBAY and look for repair services because they are a way better deal because some of them offer you more money for your ps3 if they can't fix it but they say they can fix about 90% of all ps3s sent in so check that out before you make your choice too.

[quote name='kurokubushi']If you end up sending it in, and dont waa lose all your saves and evreything just take out the harddrive and tell them that you upgraded it, and dident trust them to get the one you bought back to you. Thats what my firend did when he got the YLOD[/QUOTE]

youll still lose them if they replace your ps3 instead of repairing it, as the hd is linked with the system and must be reformatted, when inserted into a new ps3.

Yea, if you have singstar songs you'll have to call them up about that since that is restricted to that PS3 it's on. I say get it fix. I got mine sent into Sony after it died and it has been going on nearly two years strong now. My first system died about three months after purchase because of CoD4.

[quote name='Lynsanity']Who would do the thermal paste, and do you have a link for the parts?[/QUOTE]

You do the thermal paste yourself. Get the PS3 to the bare motherboard, and use the Arctic Silver cleaning kit for CPU's. Its 2 bottles, one disolves the old thermal paste, the 2nd cleans the surface in prep for the new thermal paste. Then apply Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste onto the CPU and GPU after its been cleaned, and use a credit card to spread the paste all over the CPU/GPU tops. Make sure none goes over the edges. And try to keep the lines going in the same direction.

Usually on a computer CPU, you put the thermal paste on in a certain way and then use the heatsinks to spin it a bit and then push down on it to spread. The PS3 heatsink does not work that way so its best to do it during the applying process. After that just put everything back together. I suggest doing Folding @ Home for 2-3 hours at first, then turn the PS3 On/Off every 10-15 minutes for about 7-8 times, then do a few more hours of folding @ home. You need the heat cycles for the thermal paste to finally take final form. After that you'll have a PS3 that will last you quite a long time.

Hope this helps.

I had the YLOD and sent my PS3 off a week or two ago. The symptoms i had first appeared when playing Ratchet and Clank Future. The game would freeze after a variable amount of time and then a small black box with multiple error codes would appear in the upper left of the screen. This continued for a week or so, but only with RCF. Then other games started to freeze. Namely, Resistance:FOM.
At this point, I though it was a BD drive issue, but then i downloaded the Infamous demo and it began freezing with content from the HD as well. When this happened, I started searching the net for answers or possible fixes and quickly realized that the most hassle free solution for myself was to send it back to Sony. I have a 20GB Gamestop Refurbished system.

[quote name='XUGrad']It is the 40GB one so it is not BC. The disc drive will not read any type of media. Gamestop is currently giving $70 in trade for a busted one. The reason I am hesitating about getting it fixed is I because the $70 + $150 I save by not getting it fixed can go toward a new PS3. If I can hold out until the August (hopefully) price drop, I spend $80 more but have a bigger, brand new PS3.[/QUOTE]

Is it within a year of purchase and do you have the receipt for it(if bought somewhere where they gave you a full receipt showing price paid for it)?

If so, you can get your system worked on by Sony for FREE and they will even pay to ship it to them.

That's what happened with mine around the end of April. It wasn't reading games all that well after a year, so I e-mailed Sony and they gave me a repair order # and I had the box shipped via UPS to my house within a week.

About a week or so later my PS3 was shipped back to my house and aside from the marks left by the static wrap they wrapped the PS3 up in inside the box it plays like it did when I first got it.

Chances are they just cleaned the laser, but if I tried to do that on my own and messed something up then I'd have been really SOL since I'd have to break the seal to do it.

Plus, I got the aforementioned 90 day warranty on it by sending it in, so it was a win-win for me.

Just had to sen my system back to Sony for the second time for the exact same problem. I sent it in about three weeks ago for a problem with games freezing and when i received it back, the problem began again within an hour. When i called Sony to report this, i found out that all they did was swap out the hard drive for $150. I could have done that myself for free! Now I've sent it back again and am hoping that they send me a new refurbished system.

[quote name='ian1418']Just had to sen my system back to Sony for the second time for the exact same problem. I sent it in about three weeks ago for a problem with games freezing and when i received it back, the problem began again within an hour. When i called Sony to report this, i found out that all they did was swap out the hard drive for $150. I could have done that myself for free! Now I've sent it back again and am hoping that they send me a new refurbished system.[/QUOTE]

Don't ya love when they don't really fix the problem? My one buddy sent in his PS2 last gen and it cost him $75 for 'repairs' for what was essentially a dirty or dying laser(DRE). What they sent him back after determining they 'couldn't fix' his was a system which scratched his mint/pristine games with a nice ring(ala the RROD issue on 360 now).

After paying to have the games resurfaced himself he shipped out that one to Sony(they paid each subsequent time)and he received back(in no particular order):

* another DRE prone system
* a dead system
* yet ANOTHER DRE prone system

They finally just gave up and shipped him out a new in box slim PStwo, since it happened JUST after they switched to making the slim model. Each prior one they sent him was a 'fat' model PS2.

All told, he spent about 3-4 months going back and forth with Sony over the issues with EACH system they sent him. Each time they tried to claim HE screwed them up.

So yeah, don't ya just LOVE when companies don't really fix the issues you send your stuff in for repairs TO fix?

That's why I was leery of either Microsoft OR Sony this gen and why I groaned when my year old PS3 started to not read games as well as it once did. But now I'm happy since I have a warranty till August of this year. If I see so much as even a tiny bit of hiccuping on the system reading games before it expires, I'm calling them up and requesting service again.

Microsoft's customer service was much better than Sony's has been so far. My 360 RRODed back in November and MS overnighted a box to me and my system was overnighted back. Sony sends you a box by 2 day select and then the system goes back by 3 day ground. When you get your system back from MS, it is actually fixed and then send you a bonus for trouble, sony sent me an unrepaired system and billed me 150 bucks.

That's just totally wrong, if you ask me, which is why I am kind of hoping I have to send my PS3 in again before August so they can give me another 3 month 'extension' on my warranty.

Originally, I was going to just buy a replacement BR laser($70 online NEW), but a friend of mine tried repairing their 60 gb and messed it up worse by trying to take it apart themselves.

Sent my system back for the second time. It arrived last thursday and i have yet to hear anything else regarding it. I hope they actually fix it this time.

[quote name='bvharris']I just had mine fixed by Sony a few weeks ago (the thing was fried, giving the old flashing yellow light). And by fixed I mean I sent it to them and they sent me what seemed to be a brand new console of the same model (60gb BC). The price was high, but the turnaround was fast and I really couldn't have been happier with how it went. It sucked losing all my saves, etc, but as someone else mentioned DLC is tied to the PSN account, so I was able to re-download everything.

I'd recommend you go that route, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering, did you notice the fan kick on more often and louder than usual before it died? It might be because I sit closer to mine now, but I swear it's a bit louder. Thankfully I have a backup, but I'd be upset if I had to send mine out and I lost out on BC or extra USB ports.

Never noticed it becoming any louder,just had problems with certain games freezing and then with all games freezing. You might want to look for the yellow light in the front flashing and then staying on constantly as i think that is a symptom as well.
According to Sony, you will always receive back a system that is identical to the one you sent in for service even if it is not the exact machine that you sent to them. I.e. if you send them a BC 20GB system that is what you will receive back, so you are not supposed to lose any features.

I don't know if i had especially bad luck with my systems. I think it seems to be about par for this generations launch hardware. I have a launch manufactured 360 that lasted nearly 3 years before RROD that had probably been played on for 3000-5000 hours. My PS3 was launch hardware as well so i am not that surprised that it is having problems, I just wish Sony's return policies matched Microsoft's for hardware failures. I also wished Sony's customer service was as friendly and efficient as Microsoft's.

[quote name='Thomas96']what problems were you having before you system actually died? I'm just wondering if there are any symptoms that will let you know that your system is close to dying.[/QUOTE]

Mine gave me no indication. I played it one day and the next it didn't read any discs. 3 months old!

Sony has some of the worst customer service on getting your system fixed. It took me from April until June to get it back in my hands. It was really a total lack of communication between them to find out if it was received and if my replacement shipped. I filed a complaint with the district attourney to find out where it was and get my stuff back. I was even willing to accept the broken one!!!

Long story short, I wish I'd have just taken it back to Wal-mart. Ended up swapping it for a guitar right after it came back,

Sony shipped my system out yesterday, but i'm guessing that with the holiday weekend, I probably won't get it till monday. Hopefully it is fixed this time.

My PS3 was supposed to arrive today, but was pushed back till tomorrow because of a routing error, whatever the hell that is. I am really starting to hate Sony and UPS fro being worthless and slow. Why couldn't they overnight it like Microsoft?

PS3 arrived back this morning and the first time i used was every great. Then the second time i used it the screen kept flickering like it was changing inputs or resolutions. So, i tried changing hdmi inputs, no luck. Then, i changed hdmi cords and the problem seemed to go away. I am about to turn it back on and see if the problem is still fixed, fingers crossed. At least no games have frozen this time.

[quote name='ian1418']My PS3 was supposed to arrive today, but was pushed back till tomorrow because of a routing error, whatever the hell that is. I am really starting to hate Sony and UPS fro being worthless and slow. Why couldn't they overnight it like Microsoft?[/QUOTE]

Because Microsoft spent billions to fix the problem and that includes shipping. They know that people would be pissed if they couldn't get back on the hell hole live and talk shit to people, so they overnight their stuff so you can get back to calling people racist terms immediately.

[quote name='bvharris']I just had mine fixed by Sony a few weeks ago (the thing was fried, giving the old flashing yellow light). And by fixed I mean I sent it to them and they sent me what seemed to be a brand new console of the same model (60gb BC). The price was high, but the turnaround was fast and I really couldn't have been happier with how it went. It sucked losing all my saves, etc, but as someone else mentioned DLC is tied to the PSN account, so I was able to re-download everything.

I'd recommend you go that route, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Ouch on the saves. I wonder if they even try to salvage people's hard drive or if they just automatically send me brand new systems.

[quote name='Paco']Because Microsoft spent billions to fix the problem and that includes shipping. They know that people would be pissed if they couldn't get back on the hell hole live and talk shit to people, so they overnight their stuff so you can get back to calling people racist terms immediately.[/QUOTE]

That NEVER happens on PSN. :roll: You know how many times I've heard the N word and other offensive shit on PSN?? TOO MANY! People like to show others how "intelligent" they are by using their "sentence enhancers".

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That NEVER happens on PSN. :roll: You know how many times I've heard the N word and other offensive shit on PSN?? TOO MANY! People like to show others how "intelligent" they are by using their "sentence enhancers".[/QUOTE]

For every time I hear the N word on PSN, I hear it 50-100 times on live. I rather have that ratio then the trash on live. Granted, as the PS3 becomes cheaper, more of that lowlife trash will transfer over, but until then, I'll just relax.

My repaired PS3 gets insanely loud quickly now, it never did it before i sent it in for the blu-ray replacement. Sigh. Time to have them send me another box.

is there a way to remove the HDD from a dead PS3 and back up the files? i know i can take out the HDD, but can i connect it to my PC that way?

[quote name='Paco']For every time I hear the N word on PSN, I hear it 50-100 times on live. I rather have that ratio then the trash on live. Granted, as the PS3 becomes cheaper, more of that lowlife trash will transfer over, but until then, I'll just relax.[/QUOTE]

LOL "Low-life trash", huh? That's quite the line of elitist bullshit there. What makes YOU any better than them?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL "Low-life trash", huh? That's quite the line of elitist bullshit there. What makes YOU any better than them?[/QUOTE]

. . . the fact that he doesn't stoop to their level of being an unoriginal retard with his smack talk? Or maybe the part where he doesn't go to the 360 forums just to troll, like they do? Well, assuming he doesn't do that . . .

Just saying, how much originality does it take to call someone a racist term?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL "Low-life trash", huh? That's quite the line of elitist bullshit there. What makes YOU any better than them?[/QUOTE]

Yes most 360 owners are low life trash for the most part. The fact that I can speak above a first grade level and talk eloquently is a dead giveaway that I'm not a 360 owner. The 360 panders to the lowest common denominator. If you want proof of the great live Experience just type in Homophobia evolved in youtube. That's a great example of the standard of live.

I actually used a stopwatch when playing the 360. I got called the N word within 30 seconds. A record.

Here's a fun video of the standard shenanigans of live. Yes this is from Xbox live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKSEc8ladNE

[quote name='erectiontown']is there a way to remove the HDD from a dead PS3 and back up the files? i know i can take out the HDD, but can i connect it to my PC that way?[/QUOTE]
anyone?

Yes, it's just a sata drive. you can connect it to a computer if you want and clone it or make a drive image. You could also take it out and put it in another ps3 and do a backup that way.

[quote name='rajin']Yes, it's just a sata drive. you can connect it to a computer if you want and clone it or make a drive image. You could also take it out and put it in another ps3 and do a backup that way.[/QUOTE]
ok cool, thanks. i just want to get my save games off of there. i really don't want to have to restart a ton of rpgs i had going on for ps3 and ps2 both

[quote name='Paco']Yes most 360 owners are low life trash for the most part. The fact that I can speak above a first grade level and talk eloquently is a dead giveaway that I'm not a 360 owner. The 360 panders to the lowest common denominator.[/QUOTE]

Lowest common denominator? Speak eloquently and above a first grade level? Who the fuck are you to determine how educated someone is or isn't by how they act on an online gaming community? Get over yourself. Just because others don't choose to reference Webster's dictionary before opening their mouths, they're uneducated?

I'm sure more than a few CAGs from the 360 board would love to know that you labeled and grouped them with the 'low life trash'. Again, get over yourself. Some people use Live and PSN to relax and unwind. If you keep being this uptight over petty shit like this, you're bound to end up like Billy Mays. RELAX, it's ONLY a game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Lowest common denominator? Speak eloquently and above a first grade level? Who the fuck are you to determine how educated someone is or isn't by how they act on an online gaming community? Get over yourself. Just because others don't choose to reference Webster's dictionary before opening their mouths, they're uneducated?

I'm sure more than a few CAGs from the 360 board would love to know that you labeled and grouped them with the 'low life trash'. Again, get over yourself. Some people use Live and PSN to relax and unwind. If you keep being this uptight over petty shit like this, you're bound to end up like Billy Mays. RELAX, it's ONLY a game.[/QUOTE]

Ahem. So the fact that I've never met anyone on live that could form a coherent thought is just mere coincidence? And who am I to determine someone's education? Nobody in all honesty, and when I state that it's just an educated guess. However the way that you lash out against my observations just reaffirms my educated guess that yes live users are infact dullards who can not communicate above the standard racist and homophobic slanders that they so lavishly toss at anyone who dares to enter their realm of mortal stupidity. Yes I go online to play games and unwind, but the moment I'm called racial names, that's when I have to wonder out loud just what the common intellect is of the average live user as they tend to never say anything of substance.

I also enjoy how you bring a small community like cag and try to apply it to the whole of live when for the most part they are slack jawed idiots who oh so lovingly dish out such sundries as their common racial slings.

bread's done
Back