PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='whoknows']Sigma has loading spots during fights.

If you can overlook that then get it. Otherwise keep black.[/quote]

Correct. Very annoying in certain areas as well like Tarion. If you can over look that get NGS, otherwise keep black.

[quote name='espy605']The original version of NG did, in NG Black they were removed and replaced with the arcade game. I don't know which games, if any, are in Sigma.[/QUOTE]

Sigma doesnt have any classic game. Also if you play Ninja Gaiden on x360 you cant play the arcade ninja gaiden.

nope, its a monitor, no usb port. I have done a lot of experimenting over the past few days.

I haven't gotten the flickering/failure for a few days, mostly 360. I've left the console on, as if I were playing it, game paused. But I took out the hdmi cable from the monitor and 360/ps3. I came back about the time when the flickering comes and it didn't flicker. of course I am just speculating and any help would help alot. My hdmi cable comes monday so I hope that will solve it. Or I'll have to call up westinghouse...

For the warranty, if I lost the receipt, can I get a new one from best buy where I got it, if i have my credit card I used? Just precautionary.

I'm having problems setting up my Motorola H550 Headset to work with Resistance: Fall of Man. Unfortunately, I cannot get another headset at the moment, so I'm stuck with this. All it has is the "Power Slider" and I do not have the manual. I have been able to make it work with my phone (Verizon Alius) simply by putting the slide down and scanning while it flashes blue, but the PS3 doesn't catch it. Can anybody help me with this dilemma? Being able to talk to my clan would be awesome.

EDIT: I got it to find it in the scan (timing was an issue) but I got an error code. 80010009

Look up online on how to get it into pairing mode.

After you find out how to set that up, just scan for it and enter the passkey when prompted.

After you have it paired, just change the input and output device settings under audio and device settings to the name of the headset you will use.

Hi, I own a 40GB PS3 that unfortunately cannot play PS2 games.

When I bought the PS3 I didn't think this would be a problem, due to the fact that I have a PS2......well, that was correct until the day my 23 year old sister bought Rock Band for PS2 and basically stole my PS2 from me. Recently, she bought Sing Star and DDR, so it looks like im not gonna get my PS2 back for many months...

Anyway, will the 40gb PS3 be able to play PS2 games one day? I REALLY hope so because I wanna buy the Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection :(

Any info will be much appreciated

Not that I know of, sorry 40 gb cannot play ps2 games but hey there might be a chance for sony to do an update maybe that might work

Lol sad part is i have a 40gb but that was all i could afford >>>.>>>

Personally, I rather have a 40GB than my 20GB (which has PS2 BC). Unless you never owned a PS2, I personally feel PS2 BC just isn't needed. I played the heck out of my PS2, but once I got a PS3 (and an HDTV), my interests to play PS2 games went out the window. I rarely play PS2 games since I rather play games in native HD resolution (not upscaled which is sometimes good, sometimes not), I don't get to be signed on PSN, my friends can't see me play a PS2 game (one feature I love about PS3/360), and so on. But if I didn't have a PS2 last gen, I'd use it much more, but I went through the games I wanted to beat most (I still have quite a PS2 backlog owning 99 games, but I rarely play them now).

As for the 40GB having PS2 BC, maybe, but we'll see. One reason PS2 BC is difficult to emulate 100% (meaning no EE and GS) has to do with the GS having an insane fill rate (more so than any next gen console out right now), so it may be difficult to emulate it.

[quote name='evanft']Nope, not unless a software emulator is released, which I doubt will ever happen.[/quote]
What makes you say that? Sony isn't always a douche bag company

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Personally, I rather have a 40GB than my 20GB (which has PS2 BC). Unless you never owned a PS2, I personally feel PS2 BC just isn't needed. I played the heck out of my PS2, but once I got a PS3 (and an HDTV), my interests to play PS2 games went out the window. I rarely play PS2 games since I rather play games in native HD resolution (not upscaled which is sometimes good, sometimes not), I don't get to be signed on PSN, my friends can't see me play a PS2 game (one feature I love about PS3/360), and so on. But if I didn't have a PS2 last gen, I'd use it much more, but I went through the games I wanted to beat most (I still have quite a PS2 backlog owning 99 games, but I rarely play them now).

As for the 40GB having PS2 BC, maybe, but we'll see. One reason PS2 BC is difficult to emulate 100% (meaning no EE and GS) has to do with the GS having an insane fill rate (more so than any next gen console out right now), so it may be difficult to emulate it.[/quote]
I see your point, and now that i have a PS3, i rarely find myself wanting to play PS2 games, but I would really like to play the other Metal Gear Solid games, now that ive played 4

I got it to work, but it has 2 problems. First off, it seems no one can hear me. I can hear them fine. I'm using input and output as the H550. Should I make output the TV? Also, it seems whoever said something about having to re-sync evertime might be right, since I had to delete it and re-sync it when I started up the PS3 again. Can I get any help? Especially about the whole people not hearing me thing.

Chances of a PS2 emulator for the 40 gig is sky high. It costs sony WAY less to make a motherboard with no PS2 chipset on it like the 40 gig has vs what the 80 gig uses, and their plan is to decrease chips and sizes for profitability. So you will never see another board with PS2 chipsets again. However, Sony has been long rumored to be working on a PS2 emulator for ALL PS3 systems now, and the 80 gigs out now with MGS4 are the super old 90nm chipset PS3s that cost sony a fortune. They will be extremely limited (they're still sold out everywhere) until sony comes out with the firmware for PS2 software emulation and make the PS3 turn into a single sku item, with all versions playable with PS1/PS2 and then begin selling full PS2 games over the PSN just like the PS1 games they sell.

I'm looking for a headset, similar to the one for the 360, to use with my PS3. I bought the headset that comes with Warhawk but that thing just doesn't feel comfortable.

My ears are too small and I have difficulty keeping it in my ear properly, I'd rather have a headset that has a big foam piece as opposed to a small thing put into the ear.

Or, if there is no headset out there like the 360's, then is there an attachment I can buy for the jabra headset? Like an earbud to stick on it so it can properly go into my ear.

The only thing more similar is a USB headset, but you gotta deal with the lengthy wires.

There are plenty of bluetooth headsets which may fit you better though (most everyone is different).

Here's a question for all.

Anyone in a 5 person group that has since upgraded their harddrive?

I want to know if replacing the HDD causes you to lose a slot in your gameshare groups. A fellow CAG recently had their PS3 die and sent it to be replaced. He was in a group with 4 others for gamesharing. When he got it back and tried to log in to redownload stuff, he couldn't. It wouldn't recognize his new PS3 as the old one.

So anyone got any info?

EDIT: Also posted in gamesharing, just need an answer ...

[quote name='blitz6speed']Chances of a PS2 emulator for the 40 gig is sky high. It costs sony WAY less to make a motherboard with no PS2 chipset on it like the 40 gig has vs what the 80 gig uses, and their plan is to decrease chips and sizes for profitability. So you will never see another board with PS2 chipsets again. However, Sony has been long rumored to be working on a PS2 emulator for ALL PS3 systems now, and the 80 gigs out now with MGS4 are the super old 90nm chipset PS3s that cost sony a fortune. They will be extremely limited (they're still sold out everywhere) until sony comes out with the firmware for PS2 software emulation and make the PS3 turn into a single sku item, with all versions playable with PS1/PS2 and then begin selling full PS2 games over the PSN just like the PS1 games they sell.[/quote]
I hope they announce something at E3 about 40gb PS3's getting PS2 emulator software

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Here's a question for all.

Anyone in a 5 person group that has since upgraded their harddrive?

I want to know if replacing the HDD causes you to lose a slot in your gameshare groups. A fellow CAG recently had their PS3 die and sent it to be replaced. He was in a group with 4 others for gamesharing. When he got it back and tried to log in to redownload stuff, he couldn't. It wouldn't recognize his new PS3 as the old one.

So anyone got any info?

EDIT: Also posted in gamesharing, just need an answer ...[/QUOTE]Replacing a HDD MIGHT not make a difference if you do a system backup utility on everything.

However, it could be that when you switch consoles, you DO lose a share regardless. That's why I will keep sharing to a minimum.

To better explain it, let's say 5 people share a game. It counts as a share because it's on 5 different consoles. Once you log-in to a new PS3 purchased and try re-downloading everything, it technically counts as a share because you are using a different PS3 HDD. When you share games, your technically downloading games from your account to other consoles. A system back-up utility may prevent this because you are no longer downloading.

If it's something un-shareable (like SingStar, Warhawk, etc.), a call to Sony (which a few have done) will solve it.

[quote name='chodax']You guys should have got 20 gig PS3s instead of 40 gig PS3s :D[/QUOTE]The only reason I like the 20GB is because it seems to have the lowest failure percentage compared to other SKUs. The one thing I hate about the 20GB is no WiFi (which I want). Upgrading the WiFi too (creating a wireless bridge or gaming adapter) expensive (like $70+, USB WiFi does NOT work). That's one reason I want a 40GB (has WiFi, runs cooler, etc.).

[quote name='smiggity']Pretty sure that they need to delete the profile, and then re-create it.[/quote]

That's the whole thing. When it came back it was blank. When he tried to recreate it said NO!

I just need some real life proof. I don't want to upgrade my HDD and lose gamesharing priviledges with existing groups.

I was also reading that somewhere that it's the system serial # that ties to your accounts. Hence with this other guy he must have got a different PS3 back from repair and it thinks it's a different user.

I dunno ....

Like they always say, cheap comes expensive.

If I REALLY want a PSN game, I'll fully purchase it myself so I own the rights. If it's something that's not important to me, then I may share. If anything happens to my PS3, or something, I want to be able to play the stuff I like most.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']That's the whole thing. When it came back it was blank. When he tried to recreate it said NO!

I just need some real life proof. I don't want to upgrade my HDD and lose gamesharing priviledges with existing groups.

I was also reading that somewhere that it's the system serial # that ties to your accounts. Hence with this other guy he must have got a different PS3 back from repair and it thinks it's a different uer.

I dunno ....[/QUOTE]

Yeah dude, I was going to upgrade soon but now I am worried.

[quote name='smiggity']Yeah dude, I was going to upgrade soon but now I am worried.[/QUOTE]That's pretty much why I upgraded my HDD, before doing ANY sharing. I researched this before hand. Also, if I do share now, it will be for stuff that it's not really important to me owning.

Sony's intention of sharing was basically where you visit a friend who has a PS3, and you want to show him some of the games you have on PSN, so you'd log into your account and download some of your games. They didn't think people would be sharing email/password on the internet for games (by the way they sound, that's what they were thinking). I can see the logic because when I visit a friend (who didn't have many PS3 games), I wanted to download some of my games and show him some of the stuff I had.

[quote name='Thomas96']NG SIgma is one game that refused to drop in price. I thought for sure it'd be about 20 dollars by now. I've waited a long time to pick this game up... I tihink its time... 40 is not so bad... I got a 10 dollar gift card as well.[/quote]

Luckily, I was able to pick it up when Meijer's clearanced it out at $17. Best $17 I've spent that didn't go to Mexican "strippers". I'd say go with Sigma if you can find it for under $40. Otherwise, stick with Black.

It also has lots of in stage and chest-opening loading screens.

fucking annoying if you just got done playing Black, but you get used to it. The game is also easier, since there are more item pick-ups everywhere.

[quote name='depascal22']Get your sister a cheap used PS2 for her birthday or Christmas and save yourself the aggravation of waiting for Sony.[/quote]
Yeah, maybe i'll just buy another one....there only like 150 now

You know you can play Metal Gear Solid from the essential collection right? I think you should go ahead and pick it up now, play MGS 1 now and then you'll still have 2 and 3 for whenever you get your PS2 back or Sony does BC for the 40GB.

You might be able to get one for around $50 used if you check the local papers/craigs list/kijiji/etc. Definitely worth it.

Since I got my PS3 I have been playing a lot more PS2 games as well. I'd say my time playing PS2 and PS3 is about equal if you don't account for online play on PS3, which is only CoD4.

[quote name='CactusZac098']Try to find a 60GB PS3.[/QUOTE]I would not recommend that to anyone since it seems like the 60GB PS3 consoles have the highest failure rate percentage (out of all SKUs) and even if you get one, it's probably out of warranty and would have to pay $150 to get it fixed. That's why I do not recommend people buying one, regardless of what it has.

A PS2 can be found cheap now, especially a fat one.
[quote name='Jest']

Since I got my PS3 I have been playing a lot more PS2 games as well. I'd say my time playing PS2 and PS3 is about equal if you don't account for online play on PS3, which is only CoD4.[/QUOTE]It's kind of the opposite for me. When I played on an SDTV, I played PS2 a lot of my PS3, but once I got an HDTV, I stopped caring (and when my PS3 collection started to expand). I use to be one of the biggest PS2 fans too last gen.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I would not recommend that to anyone since it seems like the 60GB PS3 consoles have the highest failure rate percentage (out of all SKUs) and even if you get one, it's probably out of warranty and would have to pay $150 to get it fixed. That's why I do not recommend people buying one, regardless of what it has. [/quote]

Over exaggerate much?? The 60 gig might have more failures then the 20 gig, but we're talking 2% vs 4%. Its not a epidemic like a lot of people want you to believe.

There is no such thing as "game sharing". That's called "stealing" by it's correct name...

I'm *hoping* that they've just switched to an activate/deactivate model...there's a setting in there to do that, so hopefully you can just transfer content as many times as needed by using that screen.

Darn, no one's been able to answer any of my earlier questions :(

Does anyone at least know how to get rid of the games I've already downloaded from the download list in the Playstation store? Every demo I've downloaded just sits there on that list, and I don't see ANY way to delete them off. The list has NOTHING to do with what's actually on my system in the menu screens.

I'm thinking about picking up a PS3. Most likely a used one. I have a question for all you owners.

Are there any advantages to getting the 80GB over the 60GB PS3. Does it upscale the PS2 games differently? I'm not concerned about the extra 20GB since it seems to be easy to replace the hdd with any size you want.

Thanks,

Andrew

I do not believe that there is any advantages that the 80 gig has over the 60. It seems that the 60 would have the advantage since it supports ps2 titles

I was just reading that the 80gb may have the 65nm cell and therefore have lower power consumption and be quieter.

Anyone notice the difference?

[quote name='Wolfpup']There is no such thing as "game sharing". That's called "stealing" by it's correct name...
[/quote]

Lighten up, Francis. Sony encourages you to use it to share games with friends.

bread's done
Back