PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

Click the link in my sig that says games I've played this gen. It's all the games I've played so far and what I've rated them. I've been through a few.

Also I'm currently playing through GRID which is awesome, and Kane & Lynch which is decent (Worth it for $15-20).

Recently, I sold my other 60GB PS3 because it kept kicking 3rd gear within 5 minutes after turning it on. Before people mention, I've already cleaned PS3 and place it on dust-free open space. Anyway, I was considering buying 40GB PS3 since I've heard so much about that 40GB is lot more silent compared to 60 and 80GB (especially) because of new 65nm chip. I'm going to miss backward compatibility, but I still have my PS2 so that's not a big problem. What does anyone think about this? Is 40GB really silent just like what people've been saying?

I want to trade-in my ps2 towards a ps3. The only game I really love for PS2 is Shinobi. Does anyone know how Shinobi looks and plays on the ps3?

I tried looking for a compatibility list and it list Shinobi working with European firmware. However, it doesn't list how well it looks and plays, plus I'm not in Europe, lol.

I really want to get an 80GB ps3 this month. Thanks!

[quote name='sotb_96']dont have a psn name yet..i'll let you know..im on x-box live as claydawg96[/quote]ok,if you want to add me,my name is snakelda

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Warhawk dude! You can join us for Warhawk nights every week and play with fellow CAGs... It's lots of fun! :D[/quote]

I've been interested in Warhawk but just recently realized that it's not just flying but ground warfare too. Been keeping an eye out for a good deal.

OP, I just recently got my PS3 too and only have MGS4 (love it) and Uncharted (have yet to play it).

Metal Gear Solid 4 is better than any other next-gen game out there right now, and Uncharted is also an excellent game. Warhawk's my favorite (exclusive) multiplayer game on the console other than MGO, and even with all those exclusions it's still fun as hell.

[quote name='R1V3R5']I want to trade-in my ps2 towards a ps3. The only game I really love for PS2 is Shinobi. Does anyone know how Shinobi looks and plays on the ps3?

I tried looking for a compatibility list and it list Shinobi working with European firmware. However, it doesn't list how well it looks and plays, plus I'm not in Europe, lol.

I really want to get an 80GB ps3 this month. Thanks![/quote]
According to Sony's Compatibility Status site. There are "No major problems for" Shinobi.

I also recently bought a PS3 and I have to say, Uncharted is the most fun I have had with a game in a long time. The gameplay is smooth, the controls are tight, the story is pretty interesting, and the game is freaking BEAUTIFUL. The best looking next gen game I have seen. I'm enjoying it more than MGS4 or Ratchet and Clank.

Ratchet and Clank is great. I am a new PS-Triple owner too so that is the only other game I have besides MGS4.

I am planning on picking up Uncharted, Resistance, and Heavenly Sword sometime in the near future. Waiting to see if they announce any kind of Greatest Hits lineup anytime soon.

My 60gb PS3 is SILENT. The only time the fan ever gets loud is when it's been folding all night.

Even a 12 hour poop-sock MGS4 marathon didn't get the fan going to an audible level from 6' away.

i have a 60gb like yours. when upscaling dvds and playing some bluray movies it is loud as a jet plane. my living room dvd player just crapped out (was a beautiful panasonic rp82), so i picked up a 40gig ps3 for a replacement. i can barely hear its fan after watching a two hour dvd. DEFINITELY and NOTICEABLY quieter than my 60gig

damn this thread... I just noticed my PS3 being loud now.. although I've turned down all the sound. oops it just quieted down. I was playing COD4 for about 3 hours.

Those who have silent PS3s and loud PS3s should post what their ambient room temperatures are. My fans kick up pretty noisy while upscaling, but I've got no AC so my place gets to around 75-80 in the summer.

I never hear my Ps3. Ever. I'm at about, 75-77 in the room it sits in. Though I do usually have the fan on in that room, and that's louder then the ps3s fan.

Just got 40GB ps3 and is it suppose to kick in 2nd gear fan after turning it on for about 10 minutes? Although, you cant hear the fan if your tv volume is above average, and it's quiet compared to my last 60GB, I'm pretty disappointed... many people described as dead silent. You can still notice the fan sound if your game or movie is in pause.

My room is generally around 70/72 with no audible AC in the room.

My PS3 is on an open air Sanus Systems Natural Foundation (black) AV rack on it's own glass shelf, horizontal.

I've never hear it with a movie, I only ever hear it in the morning if I left it on all night Folding.

I posted this on a few other technical forums, but I don't know where to post here on cag, I'm just looking for any help...

I bought this monitor a few months ago, love it so far, but now I am having a very odd problem. While playing my 360 via hdmi, I noticed an occasional flicker, it would happen once in a while. But now with my ps3, also via hdmi, after a while the screen will flicker, pixelate/color issues, then flicker increasingly until the signal is gone. It only seems to happen after using the monitor for a while, but not that long, hour or two, sometimes a lot less though, could it be overheating, I noticed that the hdmi plug that is going into the monitor is very hot, ps3 plug not as hot, but still hot. I thought it may be the hdmi cable, so I ordered a new one (cheap), even if thats not the problem i could use another one. Could this be the monitor? It is happening with my ps3 and 360, after the ps3 flickered/wouldn't work I tried my 360, after about 5 minutes back again. Any suggestions, please help me out... I am hoping it is just the hdmi cables fault.

I found out about this monitor from these forums and hope someone can help.

The rest of the inputs work fine, I am using the vga right now at 1920x1200. composite also works.

It happened again today, with my 360, worked for a bit, hour or 2 and then flickering.
PLease help.

My 20 gig PS3 does the same thing but I always thought that was normal. Mine is vertical on carpet though so I might move it and see if that fixes it. I hope mine doesn't crap out because I really don't want an 80 gig ps3.

So I'm interested in NGS, but I already have Black. Are they really the same game, or is Black better for some reason? I ask because the market on eBay is pretty good for Black, and I much prefer the way the game handles with the dual shock, so I want to sell it ASAP and put the money toward Sigma.

The biggest change is the graphics. All the NGB features are there, I don't know what's new per se. I guess Rachel is a new character added. Play the demo, I think you could point out difference better than I can. I've never played NG Black.

Has anyone experienced your PS3 kicking in 3rd gear fan while playing PS2 games (either 60 or 80GB)? Does it suppose to kick in because of upscaling the DVD, thus heating up the PS3 faster compared to running PS3 titles?

Doesn't the XB versions of NG have the original NES games as unlockables? I think they were removed from Sigma...

I have played a variety of PS1, PS2, PS3, DVDs, and Blu-Rays on my 60G PS3 (bought 2 months after launch), but I have never encountered having the fan pick up speed. I would think the fan is doing this perhaps because of a heat issue, so in this case just make sure your PS3 is well ventilated. I also like to hit mine w/ a can of compressed air to clean out the vents every month or so.

Yes, my 60gb goes into 3rd gear almost always when I play ps2 games. I can play MGS4 for hours and it'll never be as loud as when I'm playing Persona 3 FES for 10 minutes.

New owner here too. Been playing MGS4 and I love it! Got it for cheapass price too! Feel free to add me as I would like to play MGO with some noobs like myself LOL!

Yes, when playing PS2 games on PS3 (with the upscaling) causes the 3rd fan to turn on. That has always been the case when upscaling is enabled. When I don't have it enabled, the fan doesn't turn on.

I have an 80GB and the highest it's ever gone is the 2nd fan... but mine only has to upscale to 720p so may that's why?

[quote name='Vinny']I have an 80GB and the highest it's ever gone is the 2nd fan... but mine only has to upscale to 720p so may that's why?[/QUOTE]Mine upscales to 720p (or when it did on my older TV) and it still did the same thing.

Mine does, or at least after a while. My room is the hottest in the house though normally so that might be why. Summer could also be the reason.

my 40G fan is loud as hell but never when watching a movie.. only when playing games after a while.. or after folding all night.. but it doesnt happen too often, and not with all games wich is od.. it's on an open shel on entertainment center so I dont think heat is the problem.

I upscale to 1080p and it gets loud even during the winter. It must be as mana knight says in regards to upscaling/high fan.

[quote name='Vinny']Doesn't the XB versions of NG have the original NES games as unlockables? I think they were removed from Sigma...[/quote]

The original version of NG did, in NG Black they were removed and replaced with the arcade game. I don't know which games, if any, are in Sigma.

Sigma has:
- Better looking graphics
- Dragon's Claw and Tiger's Fang (dual wielded pair of katanas)
- Rachel missions
- Small little extra load times

In Black but not in Sigma:
- Unlockable arcade Ninja Gaiden game
- Extra unlockable costumes (Ashtar, Hotsuma, and DOA costume)
- Movie theater to watch the cutscenes

I was talking to my friend who's crazy-into Ninja Gaiden (beat it on the hardest difficulties numerous times) and he said Sigma was a little easier but I'm sure you wouldn't notice it/prefer it.

NG SIgma is one game that refused to drop in price. I thought for sure it'd be about 20 dollars by now. I've waited a long time to pick this game up... I tihink its time... 40 is not so bad... I got a 10 dollar gift card as well.

If software emulation is released, I wonder if the PS3s with the ps2 chips will use the hardware or software.

Someone here help me with sound problems. So I'm playing the PS3 with no surround system whatsoever, sound is coming from my HDTV, and when I played BF:BC, when there were too much happening at once, the sound starts to get distorted and kind of have that "blowout" sound. Same thing with The Darkness. Seems fine with other games though. What seems to be the problem? Is it the sound settings on the PS3? I am running sound off of HDMI AUTO.

Is that HDTV of yours firmware upgradeable (i.e. via USB)? You can try upgrading it to the latest version to see if that fixes the problem. ;)

bread's done
Back