PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

Depends on what you want. Cheap price, good performance, larger size? Get a Momentus XT 500GB. Large size with solid performance (better than what it ships with), get a 750GB regular Momentus 7200RPM drive. Best performance? Get a quality SSD that doesn't falter too much without TRIM. I replaced my drive with a 120GB Intel G2.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Depends on what you want. Cheap price, good performance, larger size? Get a Momentus XT 500GB. Large size with solid performance (better than what it ships with), get a 750GB regular Momentus 7200RPM drive. Best performance? Get a quality SSD that doesn't falter too much without TRIM. I replaced my drive with a 120GB Intel G2.[/QUOTE]

thats actually about the same price as the one i was looking to get but more space. thanks for the suggestion ill get the 750 gb one.

I have a PS3 fat original. Hardly any gaming hours on it, mostly for watching blu ray movies. No problems at all with it but last night about 15 minutes into a blu ray movie the PS3 fan (I assume the fan) was running so damn loud. Even after the movie was done it was running real loud until I turned it off. Is this a sign of impending death? Any fixes?

Does anyone else have lots of issues with the official Sony Bluetooth headset or is it just me?

My first one crapped out/stopped charging 11 weeks into a 12 week warranty (why isn't it a full year?!). I was able to get it replaced from Sony directly, and with this one, they offered a year warranty. The PSN was down so I didn't get to test it. Finally got a chance to play online last night, hooked it up.. and the mute button on the headset doesn't work. Brand new, right out of the box, and it's broken. *sigh*

[quote name='Scorch']Does anyone else have lots of issues with the official Sony Bluetooth headset or is it just me?

My first one crapped out/stopped charging 11 weeks into a 12 week warranty (why isn't it a full year?!). I was able to get it replaced from Sony directly, and with this one, they offered a year warranty. The PSN was down so I didn't get to test it. Finally got a chance to play online last night, hooked it up.. and the mute button on the headset doesn't work. Brand new, right out of the box, and it's broken. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

Works fine for me. I got it when it first came out. The only problem with it is the concept of it. I always here the background music from the tv when people use it.

My mute button is tricky to work, have to hold it down for like 2-3 seconds at least and it works, but causes problems as sometimes takes me a while to be patient enought to activate it.

I've got a problem here and i think there is only one way to fix it.
My old ps3 died with the 640 gig hard drive i had put in it. Now that hard drive has about 450 gigs of data stored on it and when i put it in to my new ps3 it won't let me reformat it. I gives me some message like put in a hd with blah blah firmware or update, something stupid. Is my only way to get the old used 640 hd working in my new ps3 is to throw it in a labtop and reformat it there? How would i get that update it wants on the hd? Has sony screwed me again and left me with another piece of machinery as a paperweight?

Ok i will answer my own question like usual. In order to format my harddrive i had to download the latest update at the bottom of the scea homepage to a flash drive. I had to make a PS3 folder and then an UPDATE folder inside of that one and save the latest update there. Then I was able to reformat my old filled harddrive in my newer ps3. Now can download Infamous and not have to worry about deleting things for at least a year.

PS3 disc drive died today... I am a little over a week away from the 1 year mark. I'm waiting on hold trying to arrange a repair. This is actually my first completely broken console in 20+ years.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO i tried to log in to my new ps3 with my old PSN account. but when it tries to verify my CC info it says its not valid. Even though all the information is correct. Is anybody else having this problem? I tried to log in through the PSN website and it says the server is temporarily down, so is this going to be a problem for me being able to log in, in general or is it just me again...

[quote name='AshesofWake']SOOOOOOOOOOOO i tried to log in to my new ps3 with my old PSN account. but when it tries to verify my CC info it says its not valid. Even though all the information is correct. Is anybody else having this problem? I tried to log in through the PSN website and it says the server is temporarily down, so is this going to be a problem for me being able to log in, in general or is it just me again...[/QUOTE]
I'd delete it out of your account profile and re-enter it. Is your billing address the same as the one listed on the CC?

yeah i just ended up doing that. I did move since the last time I had a ps3, maybe that was it? but then i bought many games on my psp from then? not sure, but yeah i just went ahead and deleted it and it worked, thanks :)

Is this were we're supposed to post problems?

I'm not sure if this means anything or not...

Okay, this morning I pulled the HDMI cable out of my Xbox and TV to use the cable somewhere else, but didn't touch my PS3's cable.

Tonight I turn my PS3 on with the power button on the unit, and stick in Enslaved (sidenote, MAN does that look drop dead gorgeous after playing Guilty Party! Guilty Party's actually really fun, but wow).

So weirdly my controller doesn't seem to work-the charging light doesn't even blink. And there's no video on the TV.

So I hold down the power button for what feels like 20 seconds, and the unit shuts off. I pull out and replug in the cable, just in case it was bumped while the Xbox cable was pulled (I REALLY don't think so, but...)

I turn it back on, launch Enslaved (it installs a 25MB patch or whatever).

...and I notice there's no audio. I thought at first, okay, stylistic decision, but then there's no audio even in the game. When I go to the DLC menu and it loads the store, THAT has audio-quit to the game, and no audio.

So I exit the game, there's audio on the XMB, I relaunch the game...and now there's audio.

Just...weird. Don't know if it means anything. I've never had my Playstation do anything wierd like that before.

Of course it could be my TV being weird, and not the Playstation at all.

[quote name='Wolfpup']. [/QUOTE]

What type of TV is it? I know there are some models of TV that have trouble with audio sometimes (i think they are Sony branded too).

I'd go into your sounds set-up and see if you have some sort of strange sound configuration selected. If the game is being told it can output to like, DST or 5.1 and you don't have that set-up, it may just not sending any sound.

I have a problem sometimes when I launch games where the sound seems to crackle a lot. I primarily experience it on Orange Box and a few other titles that don't come to mind. Honestly, I haven't figured out why- i usually just hit buttons on my receiver until it stops. :roll:

My spare ps3 just broke right after I sold my primary is there anyway to get the welcome back games still? I have a friend with a ps3 can I have him login and download the games and I just redeem them once I get my ps3 back?

Hmm...assuming you trust them, could you log in with your account, pick the games, but don't actually download them (and then do it when you get yours)?

Except...hmm...can a PS3 be activated on more than one account at once? Would they have to deactivate it, then you log in and activate it, pick the games, then deactivate it?

I think that would work, although be more complex that some people would want to deal with?

[quote name='ATK']My spare ps3 just broke right after I sold my primary is there anyway to get the welcome back games still? I have a friend with a ps3 can I have him login and download the games and I just redeem them once I get my ps3 back?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hmm...assuming you trust them, could you log in with your account, pick the games, but don't actually download them (and then do it when you get yours)?

Except...hmm...can a PS3 be activated on more than one account at once? Would they have to deactivate it, then you log in and activate it, pick the games, then deactivate it?

I think that would work, although be more complex that some people would want to deal with?[/QUOTE]

A PSN ID can be active on up to 5 machines at a time, but cannot be logged into the network simultaneously. Then, I think a PS3 can have up to 16 different IDs tied to it.

I just switched my 80 GB HDD for a 500 GB. After restoring everything, I now have 360/465 GB free. Anyone know how there's 105 GB used when I switched from an 80 GB HDD?

Having trouble with my newly bought in Jan ps3. It won't boot up (pauses at ps3 start up screen, wont show icons to log in) and when I try to do the system reset buttons my ps3 controller wont move, it wont let me do anything other than ps3 reset.

EDIT: Now it works after I let it run for a few minutes.

Anyone ever have this?

Edit #2 - I spoke to soon, now it wont load up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='madbst']I just switched my 80 GB HDD for a 500 GB. After restoring everything, I now have 360/465 GB free. Anyone know how there's 105 GB used when I switched from an 80 GB HDD?[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem when I switched HDD's a while back. I don't know if it no longer compresses or what. Never figured out why, but you're not alone in having this problem.

Has anyone had any trouble with the 3.66 update? I played a blu ray movie the other night it froze and now none of my blu ray games or dvds work in my 80gb system. Any advice would be great.

This may have been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Is it possible to verify a PSN code is valid without actually using the code?

^ Supposedly, you can type in the code and view the contents and as long as you don't select the option to continue it's still a valid code. I've personally never done it though.

[quote name='nbballard']^ Supposedly, you can type in the code and view the contents and as long as you don't select the option to continue it's still a valid code. I've personally never done it though.[/QUOTE]

Neither have I. I've never input a code that I didn't intend to redeem.

[quote name='nCogNeato']This may have been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Is it possible to verify a PSN code is valid without actually using the code?[/QUOTE]

I just tested this with an LA Noire code. I put in the code on one account and it brought up the screen showing what the code was for. Then I switched accounts, entered the code again and was able to redeem it. So there you go.

[quote name='metaly']I just tested this with an LA Noire code. I put in the code on one account and it brought up the screen showing what the code was for. Then I switched accounts, entered the code again and was able to redeem it. So there you go.[/QUOTE]

th_internet-high-five-place-hand-here.jpg

Would you guys mind helping me with a problem I am having because of a language barrier issue? I would appreciate it:

I sold a Kombat Pass (for 1.55 -- so I basically have made 30 cents, woot!) mostly because I'm trying to sell some stuff to get my ebay rating up, but some guy in Puerto Rico bought it. He apparently only speaks spanish and is running everything through Google translator.

He says the Kombat Pass is not working. I had him e-mail me the Pass Key back (because he wanted the code mailed to him unopened). Quite frankly, I figured he was scamming me, because he refused to e-mail me the code for ~5 days and kept insisting that I just send him another code.

Anyway, the code is working (I tried putting it in on my PS3 and it gets to the point that a working code gets to). I've talked to Sony and WB and both say that Puerto Rico is in the zone for the US and it should work.

So, uh, have any of you seen anything like this? Or maybe a Puerto Rican CAG here that can offer me some assistance in what to tell him. I sent him like a 15-step process for how he needs to redeem the code, but he keeps saying it's not working -- I assume he's either (1) putting it in wrong and can't understand me or (2) these codes don't work in Puerto Rico.

[quote name='DerClaw']Would you guys mind helping me with a problem I am having because of a language barrier issue? I would appreciate it:

I sold a Kombat Pass (for 1.55 -- so I basically have made 30 cents, woot!) mostly because I'm trying to sell some stuff to get my ebay rating up, but some guy in Puerto Rico bought it. He apparently only speaks spanish and is running everything through Google translator.

He says the Kombat Pass is not working. I had him e-mail me the Pass Key back (because he wanted the code mailed to him unopened). Quite frankly, I figured he was scamming me, because he refused to e-mail me the code for ~5 days and kept insisting that I just send him another code.

Anyway, the code is working (I tried putting it in on my PS3 and it gets to the point that a working code gets to). I've talked to Sony and WB and both say that Puerto Rico is in the zone for the US and it should work.

So, uh, have any of you seen anything like this? Or maybe a Puerto Rican CAG here that can offer me some assistance in what to tell him. I sent him like a 15-step process for how he needs to redeem the code, but he keeps saying it's not working -- I assume he's either (1) putting it in wrong and can't understand me or (2) these codes don't work in Puerto Rico.[/QUOTE]

If its a US copy of the game, he has to be logged into the US store for it to work.

I got a question. I was playing borderlands last night and my fucker literally froze on me (right when I was at the boss), and it was the first time my PS3 ever did that. Now granted it was like 90 or something degrees in the room. Would it be a heat issue that my PS3 did that or is it more of a Borderlands fucking up?

Does anyone know how to deactivate a PSP from a PS3? And does anyone know if you need to remove anything on the PS3 to stop your PC from being linked to it because of sharing?

I bought a PS3 Slim, hooked it up, and within an hour of using it my screen went all snowy and then blacked out for a while, got snowy again and finally image came back. Does anyone know why this happened or how to fix it?

I read online that others have this problem and it may be related to the HDMI cables but they weren't sure. Someone got rid of it by disabling deep color output, but I'd rather keep that.

anyone with a large hdd try backing up yet?
i bought a 2tb hdd and i want to back up my 500gb with 230gb free space,
ps3 says 23hours....

[quote name='Cerebral_One']I bought a PS3 Slim, hooked it up, and within an hour of using it my screen went all snowy and then blacked out for a while, got snowy again and finally image came back. Does anyone know why this happened or how to fix it?

I read online that others have this problem and it may be related to the HDMI cables but they weren't sure. Someone got rid of it by disabling deep color output, but I'd rather keep that.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a handshake issue. Is your tv a older one?

[quote name='blitz6speed']I'd try a different hdmi cable and also try a different hdmi port.[/QUOTE]

I'll try that and then post if it happens, unfortunately I won't have my PS3 back until late September.

Is it normal for the PS3 to sometimes just randomly beep? It's a 160GB slim, and for some reason sometimes (maybe once a day) it just lets out a random beep while I'm playing a game. I think it sounds like it's the Bluray drive thats making the noise, and Borderlands in particular causes it more than any other game. The screen doesn't stutter or make any noticeable change when it happens, so I'm not too worried that it's a major thing. However, my old PS3 (120GB slim) had it's Bluray drive die after about 13 months of owning it, so I'm a bit paranoid because of that.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Is it normal for the PS3 to sometimes just randomly beep? It's a 160GB slim, and for some reason sometimes (maybe once a day) it just lets out a random beep while I'm playing a game. I think it sounds like it's the Bluray drive thats making the noise, and Borderlands in particular causes it more than any other game. The screen doesn't stutter or make any noticeable change when it happens, so I'm not too worried that it's a major thing. However, my old PS3 (120GB slim) had it's Bluray drive die after about 13 months of owning it, so I'm a bit paranoid because of that.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not normal. I have heard of that happening though. Sounds like a possibly minor defect. My slim has never randomly beeped.

I know this is the PS3 section, but the PS2 one is dead so I'll ask it here.

I want to bring my PS2 to my dorm and play it on my HDTV. Is it worth getting a component cable for it? The only time I've used composite on an HDTV was with an N64 and it looked terrible.

Yes. I've used my PS2 with an HDTV for years and with a component cable it really doesn't look that bad. Some games still look pretty damn good, in fact.

Question:

My new job entails quite a bit of travel, so I picked up a PSP for $75 with accessories on Craigslist. Anyway, I want to create an account on PSN to download some games, but for DAYS the site has said it's down for server maintenance. I've looked around many sites for discussion on this, and haven't found any mention of recent PSN problems.

Anyone else having this issue?

bread's done
Back