PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Trying to diagnose a problem for an old high school friend via his post on Facebook.

Friend has an older, fat PS3. Non BC one I believe. He was playing last night and it shut itself off and flashed red. He unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it on again and it auto shuts off after just a minute or two.

OoW obviously so is he screwed and needs to be a new one, or is it something simple like just needing a new hard drive or do the force eject procedure to get the fans to kick out some dust? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Can a PS3 function with no HDD? He could try removing that and see what happens. Is the force eject procedure the same as the fan test function?

[quote name='J7.']Can a PS3 function with no HDD? He could try removing that and see what happens. Is the force eject procedure the same as the fan test function?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's the same thing, hold eject down while it's booting up. Just wanted to see if there's anything that won't cost money he could try as he's got kids and can't afford a new system right now.

I just got the YLOD today. I wasn't even playing. I noticed that my console was just flashing red lights...tried to turn on, turns green, then sort of yellow, then red again (off). Any way to fix this without losing my HDD data? I had a few gameshares and lots of downloaded games, so it would suck to lose it all. I have a OG 60GB console also.

UPDATE: So I called PS support to see what the cost would be, and it was $178 + tax to get the console "serviced" or $148 + tax to get the Slim. The only thing is, you MUST have the original PS3 HDD to get the slim, if not you HAVE to get it "serviced". I refuse to spend $200 to get a refurb'd 60GB.

So, anyone want to buy a YLOD 60GB console? I know it can be fixed, but I really don't want the hassle of opening it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a silly question but one I just thought of. Is it possible to play multi-disc PS1 games on the PS3? (I know ones that ask you to save like the Final Fantasy ones should work ok, but what about others? I've heard Lunar 2 makes you swap discs mid-ending and not sure if there is a save etc)

Anyone know a fix for error code 8071053D on the slim? I tried unplugging it twice to no avail. I tried to go wireless, but that didn't help. Went back to hard wire and I can get an internet connection and IP address, but no Playstation Network. I've rebooted about 7 times with no luck etiher. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']This is a silly question but one I just thought of. Is it possible to play multi-disc PS1 games on the PS3? (I know ones that ask you to save like the Final Fantasy ones should work ok, but what about others? I've heard Lunar 2 makes you swap discs mid-ending and not sure if there is a save etc)[/QUOTE]Playstation 1 games? I thought the 60 gig only played PS2 games? Well I assume with hard discs it would be exactly like playing the old system. So yes for that. If you mean the download PS1 games than again I say yes. I started FFVII and I see options for halting the game and slotting in a different disc number and waht all.

Does any hard drive work for upgrading my PS3? I found a Western Digital 320GB for $59.99 and a Seagate 320GB for $49.99 on Newegg. I really need some space I have like 1GB left, but want to make sure I get something that will work.

[quote name='Thomas96']On Blackfriday, Bestbuy has a WD 1TB hardrive for 59.99 Will this hard drive work with the PS3, anyone ever use a 1TB harddrive with the PS3? Although I think that 1TB is too big. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...Id=8909595&st=8909595&cp=1&lp=1&ref=39&loc=01[/QUOTE]

Wow. I need to find someoen to go to Best Buy for me. I 've heard 1TB is the biggest you can go and after that you start to see slowdown.

I could've sworn that the PS3 couldn't recognize HDD bigger than 500 gb. Yea, I agree 1 TB seems to be kinda overkill on the ps3...if that HDD ever failed... I think I'm wrong,

On a related note, if I were to upgrade my ps3 hdd and still want to hold onto my dlc/psn games. Does that mean I will have to deactivate my account(s) on my old hdd in order not to waste a game share/slot, and then install the new hdd?

[quote name='Thomas96']On Blackfriday, Bestbuy has a WD 1TB hardrive for 59.99 Will this hard drive work with the PS3, anyone ever use a 1TB harddrive with the PS3? Although I think that 1TB is too big. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+Caviar+Black+1TB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive+for+Desktops/8909595.p?id=1213047091732&skuId=8909595&st=8909595&cp=1&lp=1&AID=10474050&PID=2187655&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FWestern%2BDigital%2B-%2BCaviar%2BBlack%2B1TB%2BInternal%2BSerial%2BATA%2BHard%2BDrive%2Bfor%2BDesktops%2F8909595.p%3Fid%3D1213047091732%26skuId%3D8909595%26st%3D8909595%26cp%3D1%26lp%3D1&ref=39&loc=01[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've received error 8002A231 when trying to sign into my account. It wont let me sign in and I've searched online that it is due to my account being suspended... I don't get for what.

Hey everyone any tips or advise before I install WD 500gb the hdd to install in my PS3? So far my plans are...

1. Backup primary, important data to my 8gb usb flash drive.
2. Backup everything then transfer to computer.
3. Take 500gb hdd out of enclosure.
4. Swap PS3 hdd with 500gb
5. Reformat 500hdd
6. Put PS3 hdd in enclosure
7. Transfer backup from computer > external hdd > apply back onto PS3 with new hdd

I think thats generally what I have to do, and I can apparently skip deactivating accounts cause the account activation is tied to the system (not hdd). Any advise or comments would be much appreciated.

make sure you have usernames/passwords for any gameshare accounts.

I had to re-sign in to all of my gameshare accts. after I reinstalled my new HD, to do a quick de-activate/re-activate.

[quote name='langdon_alger']make sure you have usernames/passwords for any gameshare accounts.

I had to re-sign in to all of my gameshare accts. after I reinstalled my new HD, to do a quick de-activate/re-activate.[/QUOTE]

Someone on another thread said I didn't have to worry about deactivating accounts before swapping HDD. So are you saying that I need to deactivate accounts on old hdd then reactivate when I install hdd?

no, my issue came in because I didn't have the password saved for some of the gameshare accts. (once the orig. user changes the pass it blanks out on your system). I didn't deactivate anything beforehand, but I still had to go into each acct. after I switched drives and de-ac/re-ac. Just a heads up.

Well I installed the new HDD without a hitch, however, my backup won't restore (and I used the original ps3 hdd as the external...so it seems like im....). At 99% some error happens....grrr. Good thing I manually copied most important saves on a usb key, but freaking Demon's Souls was locked.

Any suggestion on how to get restore to work? The back up data was about 35gb in total (if thats important)

I just got myself a new :ps3: last week. Seems to work well so far....

One problem, the text on my big screen tv seems really small. Is this just because I'm using the composite cable that came with it? Would buying a hdmi cable help?

[quote name='eldergamer']I just got myself a new :ps3: last week. Seems to work well so far....

One problem, the text on my big screen tv seems really small. Is this just because I'm using the composite cable that came with it? Would buying a hdmi cable help?[/QUOTE]

It depends on what type of TV you have, but yes, HDMI should help with the text size. I remember when I just plugged in my PS3 with HDMI, the text was extremely small, until it scanned the display and did the auto-set up. If you have a TV that can output in 1080p, you are going to want to get an HDMI cable. www.monoprice.com is the best place to get one, do not spend over $5-10 for it.

[quote name='eldergamer']I just got myself a new :ps3: last week. Seems to work well so far....

One problem, the text on my big screen tv seems really small. Is this just because I'm using the composite cable that came with it? Would buying a hdmi cable help?[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you are using a hdtv since you mention a hdmi cable. If so, yes immediately go get a HDMI cable, then when powering on the ps3, hold the power button for 5 seconds till it beeps. Then it will redo the display settings for you and get you into a HD signal and fix the issue you're having.

So I have a 10% off coupon to Best Buy and $40 in Reward Zone certs. Can anyone suggest a hard drive on the Best Buy website that would be good to stick in the ol' PS3 for around the $50-$60 range? (so I'm only spending $20 or so out of pocket max)

i got a new 160 ps3. i have my 500 gb hd from my ylod 60. can i just plop the 500 into the new one? i was able to reflow the 60 to deactivate my psn accounts. im asking if i can swap so that i dont have to redownload all the crap and keep my saves.

No, the best route would've been to transfer your data via ethernet to the new PS3 if you could and then do a back-up/restore to get the 500 GB hard drive in there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, the best route would've been to transfer your data via ethernet to the new PS3 if you could and then do a back-up/restore to get the 500 GB hard drive in there.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info. it seems impractical. the only reason that i have a new ps3 is because the old one broke. ps3 yloded. i reflowed and deactivated my accounts. but i didnt transfer my saves. a few days later, it ylod again. that was six months ago. so i missed getting a new ps3 by six months? ha.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Would either of these hard drives work for a PS3?

This one or this one?[/QUOTE]

They should both work just fine. Personally I like Seagate.

Personally though I'd say go with a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT, which is a hybrid drive, 500GB/7200RPM/32MB/4GB, versus those drives which are 250GB/5400RPM/8MB...though the ones you listed are as good or better than what the things probably ship with. The 500GB version is like $120 I think at Amazon.

Actually I going to throw an Intel SSD in there, when Amazon finally ships it :lol:

I actually got a 320GB for $55 at Best Buy. Got 10% off then had $40 in reward zone certificates. So spend $10.

(They also forgot to give me the 10% off so had to process it through again, which I guess backed out my reward certificatse. So the next day I had $40 in RZ certs pop back into my account, which I then promptly spent again)

any way to see your PSN friend list online? to see who is online/offline and all that good stuff. I've tried different playstation website logins and none work for me. I'm on a Mac computer and everytime I login it just acts like it is loading then doesn't and asks me to sign in again.

This has probably been answered. But if I plug a usb drive in to play video files. What video file extensions work? Just .avi?

[quote name='eldergamer']This has probably been answered. But if I plug a usb drive in to play video files. What video file extensions work? Just .avi?[/QUOTE]

avi and MP4 should both work.

So I was trying to figure out that whine that came from my PS3 yet again. (I wear a headset when playing so it doesn't bother me, but my wife and kids shut doors to sleep since I play at night).

I finally figuredo ut my used PS3 is part of this issue as it falls within those serial #'s. Is there any fix or do I have to send it back to Sony pay an assload and hope I get a working 60gb back?

[quote name='eldergamer']This has probably been answered. But if I plug a usb drive in to play video files. What video file extensions work? Just .avi?[/QUOTE]codecs are important though. I think I've gotten some mpgs to work (I forget) but I know i've had some avis work and some fail. same with .wmv (you have to enable it in settings)

Well, it's with a heavy heart that I have to say that my launch unit 60gb phat died on me the other day, YLOD after only being on for 10 minutes. Tried all the 'tricks' you can google, and nothing worked, so looked up a local repair guy. Seemed legit, so I dropped it off yesterday, he said he'd have it ready by today, but at 6pm told me it cannot be fixed. I guess he had it going for about 2 hours then it died again. At least he's honest! he claims he doesn't charge if it doesn't work, but I'm still going to throw him $40 for at least getting the game out of the console.

This post is mainly b/c I have 2 questions. Obviously I am going to buy a new console (as soon as tomorrow) and was wondering a) can i just take my 500gb HDD out of the dead unit, put it inside the new slim and not really have to do anything? Or will I have to format it and let it partition no mater what? b) what is it like to recover a PSN Account? pretty simple?

thanks guys, I'm going to go back to my depressed corner just days before Christmas..

You'll want to deactivate your accounts on your old PS3 and maybe transfer non-locked saves to a USB drive. Then you should just be able to log in on the new PS3 and re-activate the accounts so you don't lose a device slot to the old system.

The old hard drive would just be reformatted in the new PS3, so you'll have to start from fresh and redownload your stuff again. If you just want the 500 GB hard drive in the new system anyway, you can just plug it in and start from there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You'll want to deactivate your accounts on your old PS3 and maybe transfer non-locked saves to a USB drive. Then you should just be able to log in on the new PS3 and re-activate the accounts so you don't lose a device slot to the old system.

The old hard drive would just be reformatted in the new PS3, so you'll have to start from fresh and redownload your stuff again. If you just want the 500 GB hard drive in the new system anyway, you can just plug it in and start from there.[/QUOTE]

thanks Frisky, you're the best! First, about deactivating (and I haven't done too much googling) but if the system is dead, won't boot, do I do it thru a webpage? I definitely don't want to lose a lot for my 5 systems..edit: just been searching, seems you're SOL if your console won't work? calling Sony, they just say 'too bad' I read this on a post on the PS BlogShare..please don't let this be true!

they'll send you another refurb for 150 or so, and it only has 3 month warranty and will die as well. They'll also send you a slim for 150 + your old broken ylod ps3, which is your best bet.

Heck I'd just wnat a workign 60gb even if it is a refurb. I don't have a PS2 anymore and would hate to have to start over all those PS2 games. (going to back up all my PS2 saves when I get home on a USB)

[quote name='blitz6speed']Best is to get a slim and a new ps2. Done deal.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to get saves I have on a USB drive and/or PS3 onto a memory card to use with a PS2?

I have that little memory card USB adaptor thing but it won't let me transfer saves back onto the memory card (unless it is because I'm using a third party memory card and not a "official" sony one)

I have a question. When I turn off my PS3, I do so through my controller first, I wait until the light in the front is red, then I flip the switch in the back off. I know a lot of people who just leave the PS3 in standby mode. So, which method is better? I'm starting to think that I should just leave my PS3 in standby mode and switch it off when I'm not playing for a long time.

[quote name='madbst']I have a question. When I turn off my PS3, I do so through my controller first, I wait until the light in the front is red, then I flip the switch in the back off. I know a lot of people who just leave the PS3 in standby mode. So, which method is better? I'm starting to think that I should just leave my PS3 in standby mode and switch it off when I'm not playing for a long time.[/QUOTE]

There's no "right" or "wrong" answer to this -- it's all personal preference. You have the right idea, as far as keeping it off entirely when you are away for extended periods of time. Standby mode does draw a small amount of power (around 10 watts), just enough to power the standby light and keep the calendar date current.

When you hit the 'off' switch, there is a button-style battery connected to the motherboard that supplies power to the calendar. It will kick in whenever your PS3's AC power is disconnected. This battery eventually dies out, but it will occur faster if your PS3 has to rely on it more than usual. And even when it does, the only headache it causes is having to reset the date after every full power shutdown.

Unless you're a total electrical bill Nazi, I don't think you'd need to power down your PS3 completely if you're using your PS3 on a somewhat regular basis -- say, once every couple of days.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']There's no "right" or "wrong" answer to this -- it's all personal preference. You have the right idea, as far as keeping it off entirely when you are away for extended periods of time. Standby mode does draw a small amount of power (around 10 watts), just enough to power the standby light and keep the calendar date current.

When you hit the 'off' switch, there is a button-style battery connected to the motherboard that supplies power to the calendar. It will kick in whenever your PS3's AC power is disconnected. This battery eventually dies out, but it will occur faster if your PS3 has to rely on it more than usual. And even when it does, the only headache it causes is having to reset the date after every full power shutdown.

Unless you're a total electrical bill Nazi, I don't think you'd need to power down your PS3 completely if you're using your PS3 on a somewhat regular basis -- say, once every couple of days.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks. I do use my PS3 a lot, at least once a day, so I'll just leave it in standby mode from now on.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Best is to get a slim and a new ps2. Done deal.[/QUOTE]

But what about the supposed PS2 upscaling (or whatever it was called) that some of the backwards compatible PS3s could do to make the graphics better on PS2 games? Did any games really benefit from this, or did it really make no real noticeable difference on PS3 vs an actual PS2 connected via component cables, anyone know?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Is there a way to get saves I have on a USB drive and/or PS3 onto a memory card to use with a PS2?

I have that little memory card USB adaptor thing but it won't let me transfer saves back onto the memory card (unless it is because I'm using a third party memory card and not a "official" sony one)[/QUOTE]go even older. I know there used to be a gamecube adaper that would let you move saves via USB. There must have been the same for PS2 and Xbox. ActionReplay?

Can anyone give any advice on how to get stripped screws out of the HDD tray? I used the proper sized screwdriver and the shitty screws instantly stripped. I tried using needle nose players to try to loosen them, but apparently the Incredible Hulk screwed them in; they won't budge.

I called Sony and they will not send a replacement tray. Does anyone have any advice?

bread's done
Back