PS3 got YLOD and I have a couple questions

ChibiJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My 60gig got the YLOD last week. I don't want to send it in to Sony because I'm like 20 hours into FFXIII and I don't want to lose the save. I've been toying with the idea of trying to fix it, but it seems that even if I do that, it'll probably only last a couple months before happening again.

Now I'm thinking of just picking up a slim. Mainly my question is, can I just swap my 60gig's HDD into the slim for my saves?

nope. thats what i was wanting to do with my 80gb but from all the searching ive done they say you cant do that because it will automatically reformt the drive. the fix seems easy enough im waiting to finish mine ( had to buy a replacement part for it) its intimidating to open up but once youve done it its weird how easy it all is.

ive noticed for alot of people theyve had to redo the fix every few months or so so im looking to just get my saves off wipe the console clean and trade it in towards a slim.

No. If you can get the system to un-YLOD, you can transfer the save over to a USB drive and copy it over that way. Switching the drive over will only make it format the drive. Make sure to deactivate your accounts on the 60GB as well.

Yeah. I've looked at stuff about fixing it, and it doesn't seem that difficult. I'm just lazy. Plus I have a friend who's an electrical engineer that I'm sure I could sucker into helping me by feeding him.

[quote name='Anhmeister']No. If you can get the system to un-YLOD, you can transfer the save over to a USB drive and copy it over that way. Switching the drive over will only make it format the drive. Make sure to deactivate your accounts on the 60GB as well.[/QUOTE]

how do you do that ?

Fixing it isn't exactly hard, but it will NOT last, it's practically guaranteed to fail again, all you can hope for is to have enough time to get all of your saves off and accounts deactivated.

[quote name='lokizz']how do you do that ?[/QUOTE]

You perform a reflow on the motherboard

[quote name='Anhmeister']Fixing it isn't exactly hard, but it will NOT last, it's practically guaranteed to fail again, all you can hope for is to have enough time to get all of your saves off and accounts deactivated.

You perform a reflow on the motherboard[/QUOTE]

no ive done all that i meant how do you deactivate the accounts?

It isn't necessary, as you have 5 activations per game, but it can't hurt. Personally my accounts are all shared out to friends, so if any one of our consoles break down, that share is gone unless we can fix it. If you aren't sharing games then you lose 1/5 activations. Keep in mind that movies and such only allow 1 console activated so if you have any of those you must deactivate the accounts in order to view them.

[quote name='Anhmeister']Go into account management under the PSN bar and deactivate each account.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info. once i get the part and see if the reflow worked ill be sure to do that. in the meantime i wait..........

Can't you guys just buy a new hard drive, swap it out, and send it to Sony to get fixed?
Then, when you get your PS3 back, put the old HDD back in?

[quote name='jh6269']Can't you guys just buy a new hard drive, swap it out, and send it to Sony to get fixed?
Then, when you get your PS3 back, put the old HDD back in?[/QUOTE]

from what ive read you dont always get your ps3. i dont know the figures on it but it seems more times than not you end up with a refurb and not your original ps3. i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy want my saves. i had been playing off and on 4 diff games and on top of that there were a few id stopped playing and had planned on going back to later. especially due to red faction i was one section away from beating it and i like the game and all but i dont want to start it from the beginning. on a positive note i at least uploaded by trophies before the death.

[quote name='lokizz']from what ive read you dont always get your ps3. i dont know the figures on it but it seems more times than not you end up with a refurb and not your original ps3. i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy want my saves. i had been playing off and on 4 diff games and on top of that there were a few id stopped played and had planned on going back to later. especially due to red faction i was one section away from beating it and i like the game and all but i dont want to start it from the beginning. on a positive note i at least uploaded by trophies before the death.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, that sucks that you don't always get your own PS3 back. If you did, I guess that would be the foolproof way to ensure you keep your saves...

[quote name='Anhmeister']Fixing it isn't exactly hard, but it will NOT last, it's practically guaranteed to fail again, all you can hope for is to have enough time to get all of your saves off and accounts deactivated.

You perform a reflow on the motherboard[/QUOTE]

This is baloney. It will only happen again if it overheats, which is why the reflow trick works. If you keep the console clean so the cooling system can do its job then it should last. This may mean opening it for a thorough cleaning from time to time like you should be doing for your PC.

You have a 60, that's the best model there'll ever be. Good chance Sony will keep it and give you crap in return. The slims also suck (in function and looks). I say fix it or find someone who can. Then you won't have to worry about losing data. The choice is how lazy you are between doing the job and replaying FF13.

If you want to keep your save, you are going to have to have it repaired. You might want to ask how they could do the repair while keeping the save. I can ask them for you since I have to call so they can send me shipping supplies.

If they need to format the HDD, though, you've lost the save.

[quote name='DPsx7']This is baloney. It will only happen again if it overheats, which is why the reflow trick works. If you keep the console clean so the cooling system can do its job then it should last. This may mean opening it for a thorough cleaning from time to time like you should be doing for your PC.

You have a 60, that's the best model there'll ever be. Good chance Sony will keep it and give you crap in return. The slims also suck (in function and looks). I say fix it or find someone who can. Then you won't have to worry about losing data. The choice is how lazy you are between doing the job and replaying FF13.[/QUOTE]

yeah id suggest opening it to clean it as well as replacing the thermal compound with something better than what sony put in there. better to fix the issue before your system dies than to wait to do it later.

Ok, here is a secret fix for those who don't want the YLOD in your PS3.

"http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Power_Supply"

Follow that link and replace your power supply with the highest model that it can support. Apparently, there are power supplies that produce too much amps and all that translates to too much heat on the chips. Too much heat means one thing: cracking or bending of the motherboard/solder. Yes, lowering the heat will also lower the fan noise! You will end up extending the life of your PS3 also. Pass it along to you friends, it may extend the life of their PS3. Note: start with the correct pin, as within the same model of the PS3, you will find differing pins for input on the connector.

Sony gives you the option of swapping for a Slim, or getting a 60gb/20gb replacement.

Personally, I'd find someone locally that can fix it for you, check craigslist.
A guy down here in Texas saved my 20gb system's life. Very knowledgeable guy.

I bought a Slim, but transferred all my saves to it.

BC wasn't good enough a reason for me to keep it, and it was loud as hell too which was very annoying when watching quieter movies.

[quote name='DPsx7']This is baloney. It will only happen again if it overheats, which is why the reflow trick works. If you keep the console clean so the cooling system can do its job then it should last. This may mean opening it for a thorough cleaning from time to time like you should be doing for your PC.

You have a 60, that's the best model there'll ever be. Good chance Sony will keep it and give you crap in return. The slims also suck (in function and looks). I say fix it or find someone who can. Then you won't have to worry about losing data. The choice is how lazy you are between doing the job and replaying FF13.[/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure you are wrong. the best connection the chip has with the board is the initial one. with the reflows and such the threshold for ylod decreases. you're right it requires it to get hot, but overtime it will happen. i agree the phat looks better, but i'd rather have a slim, they use less energy, get less hot, that's how you beat this type of problem.

That sucks. If my PS3 broke down, I'd do the following:

1) Get someone to reflow it (someone knowledgeable, I'd prefer a professional)
2) Deactivate all accounts from old PS3
3) Use the PS3's Data Transfer Utility to transfer all game saves, including locked game saves (takes hours)

[quote name='evergoo']
1) Get someone to reflow it (someone knowledgeable, I'd prefer a professional)
[/QUOTE]

T_T I've checked the craigslists and the googles. There's apparently no one around here that seems to do that sort of thing. I may drop by the locally owned game shops and see if they will do it or know someone that does.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']T_T I've checked the craigslists and the googles. There's apparently no one around here that seems to do that sort of thing. I may drop by the locally owned game shops and see if they will do it or know someone that does.[/QUOTE]

theres alot of videos on youtube that show you how to do it. you should check out some of the to get an idea of what youd have to do and if youd feel like you can do it.

[quote name='lokizz']theres alot of videos on youtube that show you how to do it. you should check out some of the to get an idea of what youd have to do and if youd feel like you can do it.[/QUOTE]
I know. I have looked at them and I feel like I could do it, but pros will often give a couple month warranty with it and such. Plus I'm lazy.

You could ship it as well. I know a guy locally who does good work with professional equipment, fixed mine as I watched him do the job. I think it's $50 for the service + shipping.

I don't know if you want to try it but there's a method on fixing YLOD with a box & a hairdryer. Maybe it can start up your ps3 so you can get those save files off. There are a few videos on youtube with people doing it.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Does the guy have a website?[/QUOTE]http://www.wayayeo.net/

[quote name='oemor']I don't know if you want to try it but there's a method on fixing YLOD with a box & a hairdryer. Maybe it can start up your ps3 so you can get those save files off. There are a few videos on youtube with people doing it.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't recommend this, if you mess up, even a reflow fix won't work.
Too much risk.

My friend did it and it did work for him though, but it melted the corners of his PS3 and smelled of hot plastic for a while. Another friend did it and it would no longer turn on.

I used it for around 2 months after I got it everything was fine. All my data was there. The ebay guy offers a 90 day guarantee.

I got a slim as a anniversary gift and I sold my 60 gb, its been 6 months since I got it fixed, I told the guy I sold it to, to call me if he ever had issues, he's never called.

[quote name='dallow']http://www.wayayeo.net/

I wouldn't recommend this, if you mess up, even a reflow fix won't work.
Too much risk.

My friend did it and it did work for him though, but it melted the corners of his PS3 and smelled of hot plastic for a while. Another friend did it and it would no longer turn on.[/QUOTE]

yeah that whole box thing sounds like youre asking for trouble by doing it.part of the point of opening it up aside from doing a reflow is to take off and replace the thermal comound( since rumor has it substandard thermal compound is what causes the ylod).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It says 180 days on eBay which is why I think I may go with him.[/QUOTE]He has the feedback, so it may be a good idea.
Good luck man.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah that whole box thing sounds like youre asking for trouble by doing it.part of the point of opening it up aside from doing a reflow is to take off and replace the thermal comound( since rumor has it substandard thermal compound is what causes the ylod).[/QUOTE]
Basically, the blow dryer in a box thing is a very bootleg version of the standard heating table and refluxing of the chips.

It melts the solder under the chips, hopefully, enough for it to settle onto the mobo better. But it's just applying raw heat to the whole thing, wherein you could mess up a whole lot more inside.

well today must be my day because i got my part put it in and now my ps3 is alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im still getting rid of it but its good to be back in the land of the gaming. if you can someone who can fix it for you op go for it but if i can do it i know damn near anyone else can too. considering my history of tinker with shit nd breaking it it feels damn good to have been able to pull this off. if you want a llink to the youtube vid i used lemme know ill post it and you can see if youd feel comfortable doing it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my PS3 back today. The guy said that the GPU was fried, so he replaced it. He even sent back the original fried GPU along with it.
Anyway, as soon as I get it this morning, I set it up and turned it on to make sure it worked. I had to update the firmware, so I let it do that. I turned it off after it was done updating and I went to work.
I just got home, I turned it on to play some RDR, and I got the YLOD again. I'm pissed to say the least.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I got my PS3 back today. The guy said that the GPU was fried, so he replaced it. He even sent back the original fried GPU along with it.
Anyway, as soon as I get it this morning, I set it up and turned it on to make sure it worked. I had to update the firmware, so I let it do that. I turned it off after it was done updating and I went to work.
I just got home, I turned it on to play some RDR, and I got the YLOD again. I'm pissed to say the least.[/QUOTE]

that seems odd if he even went so far as to replace the gpu. could be you need a new power supply. when mine first died i did alot of research to figure out what could have caused it and for ost it was the crappy thermal paste but in some instances they said the power supply could be faulty so your console isnt getting the power it needs.

id tell you to open it up and look inside but if the place you got it repaired at still has it under their warrant send it back. also how loud was the fan on it when you cut it on? when i fixed mine i noticed my console was way more quite than it ever has been and it took longer for the fan to kick up in speed.

I noticed that the fan was quiet when I first turned it on this morning, but it did ramp up after a couple minutes which made me a bit worried.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I noticed that the fan was quiet when I first turned it on this morning, but it did ramp up after a couple minutes which made me a bit worried.[/QUOTE]

see thats kinda weird when i fixed mine it took like an hour or 2 before my fan kicked up ( my ps3 is the 80gb msg bundle version ) so that could make a difference since i think you said you have a 60gb.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I just got home, I turned it on to play some RDR, and I got the YLOD again. I'm pissed to say the least.[/QUOTE]
Mistake #1: You elected to play a game versus deactivating your PSN accounts. It knows your faults. :p

my ps3 crashed playing rdr. actually, there was a power surge that affected everything around the socket including my computer and tv. they survived. the ps3 didnt. now when i power turn on the ps3, i get the normal red light then ylod. i cant even get my rdr disk back. im thinking that the power surge came from the ps3. and something went wrong with it. suggestions?

60g ps3.

[quote name='enufs8d']my ps3 crashed playing rdr. actually, there was a power surge that affected everything around the socket including my computer and tv. they survived. the ps3 didnt. now when i power turn on the ps3, i get the normal red light then ylod. i cant even get my rdr disk back. im thinking that the power surge came from the ps3. and something went wrong with it. suggestions?

60g ps3.[/QUOTE]

theres a few videos on youtube to tricks you can try to get the game disk to come out. since you mentioned power surge in your case it could be your power supply needs replacing but i dont know. did your ps3 have any other ylod symptoms before it died? if you console is still under warranty send it in but if its not you can try whats in the yourube video. i think that guy had a 60g too but his fix worked with my 80gb.

You could always use the temporary DIY fix as shown on youtube then use the backup utility to copy your info over onto a thumb drive. Once you have your saves, you can play it til it YLOD's again and then have Sony repair it for $150 (but at least it'll be a more permanent solution).

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I got my PS3 back today. The guy said that the GPU was fried, so he replaced it. He even sent back the original fried GPU along with it.
I just got home, I turned it on to play some RDR, and I got the YLOD again. I'm pissed to say the least.[/QUOTE]

what ever happened next?

have any of researched or tried to reball the ps3's solder units to lead solder?

[quote name='enufs8d']what ever happened next?[/QUOTE]
Nothing yet. I've sent it back to the guy this week, so hopefully when it comes back this time it'll work.

have any of researched or tried to reball the ps3's solder units to lead solder?
The guy that "fixed" mine said he used lead solder on the GPU when he replaced it.

I ran into the same problem, my ps3 died right in the middle of FF and I wanted my game saves. I found a local place that did re-flux repair and offered a 30 day guarantee for like 40 bucks.

I took it to them they fixed it in an hour and I took it home to back up all my game saves. I honestly never backed anything up and assumed if I ever had a problem I could swap the HD to a new ps3 and be set. It's so stupid they don't offer any way to get game saves off the HD when the ps3 fails.

My repaired ps3 lasted I think 2 weeks then died again. I took it back for repair again and got it home to deactivate and format the HD so I could go trade it in. Gamestop had some deal going on so I traded it in for a slim and paid like $120 plus my old busted joint.

Now I back up my saves at the end of each game session.

i wonder what those repair places are doing to your ps3s that they dont last more than a week or so after you get them back. mine has been working good for a few months now. although for those of you who do or did repair yours keep an eye on your thermal paste.

i redid mine last week as a precaution and some of it was already one. i dont know if its normal to reapply paste regularly or not but with all the heat these phat ps3s make and with how hot it is im thinking its a good idea to reapply it every so often. i was also surprised at how little dust was inside but i cleaned out what i saw just in case.

i keep my ps3 flat now too didnt put in most of the screws except for the necessary one since i knew id have to go back in again.

Cant you deactivate your accounts online through a normal computer? Do you have to deactivate it if you clean the hard drive beofre getting rid of it? What if you just change your password for your PSN account and remove your Credit card information online? Can they still log in to your account on your system you just gave away? I know many question about the YLOD but I just got it grrrr and loook to sell it for some cash towards a new system.

lokizz - what thermal paste did you use? i decided to get mx-2 over as5 and ocz free. I didn't want to spend the money for IDC7 or mx-3.

bread's done
Back