PS3 Gunmetal Grey Metal Gear Solid 4 Kojima Bundle $400 Pre-order at Amazon

capttylor34

CAGiversary!
[img-r=4668]3032[/img-r]Update: Price now $400

Remember those $600+ MGS4 Limited Edition Bundles that were only sold by the Konami Store? Amazon now has pre-orders available for $450 $400 shipped with a Nov 4th ship date. The bundle includes:
  • Gun Metal Gray PS3 with a 40GB Hard Drive (No BC)
  • Gray DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (the game) which includes Metal Gear Online
  • The official "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots CD Soundtrack" including 16 never-before-released tracks by Harry Gregson-Williams (Shrek, Armageddon, The Rock), Nobuko Toda, and Ennio Morricone.
  • Over two hours of additional content "Hideo Kojima's Gene" a behind-the-scenes vision of Hideo Kojima's production team and the game as well as "The Making of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" documentary
[img-l=4668]3033[/img-l] [img-l=4668]3034[/img-l]

Last edited by a moderator:
WTH? Even at Samsclub? oh man, Konami, you sneaky bastard... i feel cheated even though you gave me two for the price of one. i hate exclusives pimped by another source, especially at discounted price, no matter how many were actually produced.

[quote name='rabbitt']Got mine in the mail today![/QUOTE]

Let us know if it's numbered or not and if so, what number was it?

[quote name='Shady Hombre']This is a good point, except that, for example, there's the 160GB Uncharted Bundle priced the same as the 80GB MGS4 Bundle, offering twice the HDD space instead of backward compatibility. You can't argue that the reason for removing BC is to make the price more attractive to customers if it's the same price. Even with the mentality that removing BC isn't hurting sales, it's not helping sales either.[/quote]

Now this indeed is an interesting point. Really, the average user doesnt really need 80GBs, let alone 160GBs. Thus the extra storage is, at best, a marketing point. Sony cannot claim that removing the BC is to make the PS3 more price friendly to the buyer. Though perhaps it does make it cheaper to produce. I'd actually argue that more people would use the BC than use the extra storage space.

Now, people who say no one cares about BC seem to be missing the fact that the PS2 still often outsells the PS3. It's pretty obvious that Sony wants people to buy both systems, but this is self-cannibalizing, in a way. At this point in time, people who want a PS2 capable machine are limited to buying a PS2. They're less likely to buy a PS3 after buying a PS2 than just buying an all-inclusive PS3.

Well, not cannibalizing, but rather delaying. While these customers might not buy a PS3 today, these are obviously late adopters as evidenced by them *just now* getting a PS2. If Sony really believes in the 10 year plan, they should be okay with these people buying much later in the PS3 lifecycle.

[quote name='bob330i']Let us know if it's numbered or not and if so, what number was it?[/QUOTE]

Where do you look to see if it's numbered? I'm getting mine tomorrow.

the last gunmetal grey controller i saw on ebay sold for $150+ it's pretty insane what people would pay just for a matching 2nd controller for this bundle.

[quote name='fatez']the last gunmetal grey controller i saw on ebay sold for $150+ it's pretty insane what people would pay just for a matching 2nd controller for this bundle.[/quote]

hahah wow, thats tempting...

[quote name='dinobot']if they produced new units, then they clearly do not care about their fans spending premium for this console during release. [/quote]

Personally i think charging 599 + tax and shipping for a 40gb PS3 with a different shell and a copy of MGS4 proved that they dont care too much about their fans in my opinion.

Thats like saying Microsoft cared about their fans when they released a bajillion Halo Legendary Editions at the bargain price of only $120.

Like i said, they're a company, they look to turn a profit, not help you.

Been following this thread for a little while and thought I'd chime in...

I bought one as I always wanted one...but thought it was silly to pay an amount more than $50 over a regular PS3. Anyway, I don't think these are newly manufactured PS3s because I booted up and noticed that the firmware that is loaded on here is version 2.30. That firmware was released in April...so unless Sony and Konami are making an effort to deceive me about when this PS3 was manufactured...I'd have to say this PS3 has been laying around a warehouse for a while loaded with the old firmware. Just a thought.

[quote name='Jon Bon']Does anyone know if the MGS4 LE comes sealed exactly the same way in this bundle as if it were sold separately?[/quote]

Mine just arrived. Shrink wrapped. And, Jon Bon, I am not being sarcastic. Came exactly in same manner as the one I received in June. Firmware 2.30 - highly unlikely that this is a new run. Still think Konami sucks, however.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Mine just arrived. Shrink wrapped. And, Jon Bon, I am not being sarcastic. Came exactly in same manner as the one I received in June. Firmware 2.30 - highly unlikely that this is a new run. Still think Konami sucks, however.[/QUOTE]

I think he's asking if it says Not for Resale on that piece of paper on the LE box? I thought mine said that (I sold it already), but I can't remember.

The LE box has a regular UPC on it. The MGS4 game that is sealed in the PS3 case inside the LE box says "Not For Resale" but all of them are the same way (both the regular LE sold in stores and the LE that comes with the PS3).

[quote name='Kendro']The LE box has a regular UPC on it. The MGS4 game that is sealed in the PS3 case inside the LE box says "Not For Resale" but all of them are the same way (both the regular LE sold in stores and the LE that comes with the PS3).[/quote]

The sealed box has the not for resale on the bottom left side, and I am referring to the sealed shrink-wrapped case.

[quote name='rukasu']All marketing and business talk aside, I finally got shipment confirmation from amazon! I'll report what I find once it comes in.

P.S. It shipped from Las Vegas, NV of all places. Not sure if that means anything to anyone.[/quote]

We have a Konami factory out here, but it's mostly used for their slot machine division.

All the people bitching about how they paid more, should have known better. It was said from day 1 that konami was going to capitalize on MGS 4 hype. Nor does this system have a printed edition run. BTW, you'll never ever see another Subsistance ordeal again.

Seriously? We're still contemplating an inferior version of the system to purchase? For a "paint job"?!

*hugs his superior 80-gig BC MGS Bundle*

got mine in today, didnt like the color from the pictures but im a big metal gear fan , and it looks alot better in person, love it and now prefer it over the black. definitly worth it. i also got the 100 dollars off blu ray deal and returning the blu-rays so ended up 299.99 for me! even at 399, this is a great deal, better to get this 40gig then regular 80gig with no game.

You know, I had originally purchased one of the $299.99 40gb systems from Toys-R-Us a couple of days ago, but I think I am going to return it and grab one of these.

Why?

Well, for one thing I like the color better. I've got an Elite 360, which is a matte black, so I think it will flow a little better. That's a piddly reason though. The biggest reason is that for $70 difference ($30 tax on the one I bought), I am getting a DualShock3 instead of a SixAxis and I get a copy of MGS4.

Plus there's always the possibility of selling the controller on e-bay and making the system even more cheaper. People amaze me sometimes.

The woman at Toys-R-Us assured me that there was no restocking fee on systems, so lets hope they don't hastle me when I take the 40gb back.

Edit: The $100 Blu-Ray deal thing is pretty much dead, right? I'm not seeing any links on the page anymore, but I figured I would ask.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Plus there's always the possibility of selling the controller on e-bay and making the system even more cheaper. People amaze me sometimes.

The woman at Toys-R-Us assured me that there was no restocking fee on systems, so lets hope they don't hastle me when I take the 40gb back.[/QUOTE]

I'm mulling over this possibility also given the controller premium.

TRU returns should be ok as long as you didn't open it and you return it with the 14 day window for VG/electronics purchases.

Yeah, but I did open it. I should have waited, but I specifically asked the lady if there would be any problems and she said no. Well, if I'm stuck with it that is fine, but I think I will still probably try my luck. The worst they can do is tell me no.

Also, after thinking about the DualShock3 thing, I'm not so sure about selling it anymore. Assuming it sells for ~$100, by the time you take out e-bay and paypal fees, buy a new controller, and possibly pay for shipping, you are not really making that much. It might be worth it just to keep the controller, since it goes with the system anyway.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Yeah, but I did open it. I should have waited, but I specifically asked the lady if there would be any problems and she said no. Well, if I'm stuck with it that is fine, but I think I will still probably try my luck. The worst they can do is tell me no.

Also, after thinking about the DualShock3 thing, I'm not so sure about selling it anymore. Assuming it sells for ~$100, by the time you take out e-bay and paypal fees, buy a new controller, and possibly pay for shipping, you are not really making that much. It might be worth it just to keep the controller, since it goes with the system anyway.[/QUOTE]

I just did the rough calculations on a $100 end bid and it seems like after PP and Ebay fees, you'd net around $90 or so. That's 2 regular DS3s plus some leftover if you head over the BF thread and take advantage of the Radio Shack deal ($30 each).

Also looks like MGS4 LE is going for about $40-50. I already have the regular edition so I really don't need the LE.

The bottom line is the early adopters payed through their a$$ for the exclusiveness to have a themed PS3 of their fav. game.... and that's how a CO. is supposed to treat their loyal fans? Release numbers and marketing BS aside the truth is... this was a total and intentional Rip-Off!

fuck it, but I tell 'Ya what, at least they showed their true colors so I for one will never buy a Konami prod. at retail EVER AGAIN! I'll wait 'til their prods. hit the bargain bin just like in this scenario.

And calling a loyal fan a bitter or remorsed buyer is spitting in their face when the early adopters paved the way for the rest of You to take advantage of this BS... if anything You should be thanking them for their willingness to support a Co. who totally disregards their fan-base and gave them a big fuck you for their hard-earned money.

[quote name='5pitFire']
And calling a loyal fan a bitter or remorsed buyer is spitting in their face when the early adopters paved the way for the rest of You to take advantage of this BS... if anything You should be thanking them for their willingness to support a Co. who totally disregards their fan-base and gave them a big fuck you for their hard-earned money.[/QUOTE]

Thanking them? What? How did the "early adopters" pave the way for others to take advantage?

[quote name='Jon Bon']Thanking them? What? How did the "early adopters" pave the way for others to take advantage?[/QUOTE]

They didn't buy the initial product run, so Konami dumped them off to various e/retailers. :)

How were they supposed to sell the systems if they couldn't sell out of the original allotment? Keep the price the same? Dump them on top of E.T.?

[quote name='Jon Bon']Thanking them? What? How did the "early adopters" pave the way for others to take advantage?[/quote]

Konami held a gun to his head and forced him to buy that overpriced bundle.

[quote name='5pitFire']The bottom line is the early adopters payed through their a$$ for the exclusiveness to have a themed PS3 of their fav. game.... and that's how a CO. is supposed to treat their loyal fans? Release numbers and marketing BS aside the truth is... this was a total and intentional Rip-Off!

fuck it, but I tell 'Ya what, at least they showed their true colors so I for one will never buy a Konami prod. at retail EVER AGAIN! I'll wait 'til their prods. hit the bargain bin just like in this scenario.

And calling a loyal fan a bitter or remorsed buyer is spitting in their face when the early adopters paved the way for the rest of You to take advantage of this BS... if anything You should be thanking them for their willingness to support a Co. who totally disregards their fan-base and gave them a big fuck you for their hard-earned money.[/quote]

Remember - Some people even got one (or more) for free. The PS3 is gorgeous but the whole role out and subsequent dump is pathetic. They can't even sell these things out at $399. Amazon, Wal-mart, Sam's Club and they still can't get rid of them. When they start selling them for $250 I am going to be pissed that I actually bought two at $399. I can only imagine how I would feel if I paid $650.

This is still on Amazon. Price hasn't changed though. I really want to get one as I have a 120gb 2.5in hard drive lying around as well as a fully functional PSTwo. Not to mention I could sell my new copy of MGS4 that I have in the basement.

But no money. I

whew! i was going to pick one up friday but then they sold out! luckily i checked again today to find some back in stock...needless to say i quickly picked one up (thankyou amazon prime! already shipped and arriving tomorrow =) )

This is a sweet deal - thanks op
smile.gif

Just so everybody knows this bundle does have backwards compatibility. Great deal. I'd get it if i didn't have a ps3 already.

[quote name='Yorimoto']Just so everybody knows this bundle does have backwards compatibility. Great deal. I'd get it if i didn't have a ps3 already.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh No it doesnt....

It can play PS1 games... through an emulator.

But just trying putting in a playstation 2 game, i sure did. And it told me that "this console can not play playstation 2 software."

Try again...

[quote name='Yorimoto']Just so everybody knows this bundle does have backwards compatibility. Great deal. I'd get it if i didn't have a ps3 already.[/quote]
The 80GB MGS4 bundle does but not this 40GB Kojima bundle.

[quote name='donut']hmmm, I think all PS3s play PS1 games but not PS2...[/QUOTE]

Yes to PS1. Even the PSP does that. :p

Only 20 (hard), 60 (hard) and 80 (soft) GB w/MGS4 or Motorstorm play PS2 games.

bread's done
Back