PS3 is $499 at Target NOW! (7/7/07) Confirmed from several non-CAG sources...

[quote name='evilkittytits']Out of curiosity, has any other console ever had a price drop so soon after launching?[/QUOTE]Virtual Boy.

[quote name='evilkittytits']

Out of curiosity, has any other console ever had a price drop so soon after launching?[/QUOTE]

OG XBox to match with PS2. It was on a thread somewhere on CAG, I think it wasn't even a year it was out either. I remember picking one up on the week it dropped.

[quote name='evilkittytits']Out of curiosity, has any other console ever had a price drop so soon after launching?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='mkelehan']Virtual Boy.[/QUOTE]

Lol... talk about an ill omen :)

[quote name='Monsta Mack']OG XBox to match with PS2. It was on a thread somewhere on CAG, I think it wasn't even a year it was out either. I remember picking one up on the week it dropped.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I don't remember the original Xbox dropping so quickly. Then again, I never really had any interest in the Xbox until my wife got me one for Xmas. I'm glad she got it after the price drop, anyway :)

[quote name='evilkittytits']
Wow, I don't remember the original Xbox dropping so quickly. Then again, I never really had any interest in the Xbox until my wife got me one for Xmas. I'm glad she got it after the price drop, anyway :)[/QUOTE]

Tis true... IIRC, it happened at E3. Sony forced MS's hand.

[quote name='tayaf69']I just called all the targets in my area though and they are all 599.99. I guess I'll have to wait.[/quote]

It is $499.99 at the Target in Clarksville, TN I was there yesterday 7/7.

[quote name='headpiece747']The Target in Clarksville, TN has the PS3 for $499.00 already and has 2 instock as of 7/7. Checked Circuit City and it is still $599.00.[/quote]

[quote name='evilkittytits']This is actually semi-tempting, but $499 is still too much for a game system... plus, I wasn't able to come up with a single game I would want to pick up for it right now.

Out of curiosity, has any other console ever had a price drop so soon after launching?[/quote]

I kept thinking the same thing about how expensive the PS3 was, but if I bought a 360 I would still need to buy a $50 Xbox Live card and I would have to spend a minimum of $40 on a wireless adapter for it and at that point I might as well just get a PS3. I also don't want to have to deal with system breakdowns as i did with PS2, its a pain to send it to them and wait for it to come back. In my eyes, the PS3 is the better choice, at least for me. I know a lot of people are going to disagree but I need Metal Gear Solid 4 when it comes out lol :lol:

Ya, Amazon with no tax and free shipping would be the way to go!

I am still going to hold off on it until it is $300 or less with a smaller redesign, I know I'll be waiting a while. But I did the same thing with the PS2 slim and it was worth it.

For now I just want a X360 price drop!

[quote name='killbot13']Ya, Amazon with no tax and free shipping would be the way to go!

I am still going to hold off on it until it is $300 or less with a smaller redesign, I know I'll be waiting a while. But I did the same thing with the PS2 slim and it was worth it.

For now I just want a X360 price drop![/QUOTE]

I might go this route. IF MS dropped the 360 to $300 . . . then I might get one and wait on the PS3.

Neither has blown me away software wise (I'm not a FPS or RPG fan) but I would like to play GT4 and the new Katamari game this fall.

[quote name='headpiece747']It is $499.99 at the Target in Clarksville, TN I was there yesterday 7/7.[/QUOTE]
So did you go in there to find out? I just called my targets and they claimed it was 599.99. Is there a possibility I can go in there and scan it to get the cheaper price?

The only games I really want for it now are Virtua Fighter 5 and Ninja Gaiden, but I usually don't pay more than $40 for games so I guess I'm SOL anyways.

They removed the Emotion Engine from the Euro PS3s. The EE was the brain of the PS2. They aren't removing BC, just switching to emulation. It doesn't support as many games, but is still heads above the 360s emulation.

[quote name='nikelecious91']Why's everyone talking about Sony taking BC off the PS3? I haven't read anything about that though I wouldn't be surprised..[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']They removed the Emotion Engine from the Euro PS3s. The EE was the brain of the PS2. They aren't removing BC, just switching to emulation. It doesn't support as many games, but is still heads above the 360s emulation.[/quote]
Oh yeah I remember reading about that now lol...so I guess people think they'll eventually do the same here? (USA)

[quote name='chargeup45']Tis true... IIRC, it happened at E3. Sony forced MS's hand.[/QUOTE]

Five years later and the tables have turned.:lol:

I've been saying since launch that the PS3 is this generations Xbox and that the 360 is this generations PS2. So far I've been more or less 100% correct (as usual :razz: ).

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Five years later and the tables have turned.:lol:

I've been saying since launch that the PS3 is this generations Xbox and that the 360 is this generations PS2. So far I've been more or less 100% correct (as usual :razz: ).[/quote]You can't say anything like that cause neither of the systems have seen some Japenese Rpg line up yet.

Why do people say they don't want a PS3 because it doesn't have any good games and then say something about getting a Wii for half as much?

I wasn't aware the Wii had any games worth playing. Should we get it just because its the cheaper of the two systems with no games or are we supposed to get it because everyone wants one? Or just maybe, we're supposed to get a Wii so we act like a smug little cunt on message boards...

[quote name='wildnuts02']not sure if this means much but Sony is still denying it:

Sony has no plans to cut PS3 price[/QUOTE]

And Nintendo denied DS Lite rumors the day before they announced it. This is the biz amigo. Telling us Friday would kill an entire week's worth of sales, not to mention kill their heat at E3, where you'd think THEY want to be the ones getting all the positive buzz this time around. The overhead on this item would mean big losses for CC, so unless that's a typo, which is unlikely with Target's activity as well, it's probable.

Regardless, if anyone does insist on buying one in the next couple days, make sure it's a place with a 30 day price change guarantee. Amazon, BB, CC or something.

[quote name='robbart914']

Regardless, if anyone does insist on buying one in the next couple days, make sure it's a place with a 30 day price change guarantee. Amazon, BB, CC or something.[/quote]

Yeah, good idea. Although I bought the PS3 a few months ago and it sucks the price is dropping, I'm glad to see more people adopting it. While the wii is cool, I want the 360 and PS3 to push next-gen gaming because competition is better for us gamers.

[quote name='Kayden']Why do people say they don't want a PS3 because it doesn't have any good games and then say something about getting a Wii for half as much?

I wasn't aware the Wii had any games worth playing. Should we get it just because its the cheaper of the two systems with no games or are we supposed to get it because everyone wants one? Or just maybe, we're supposed to get a Wii so we act like a smug little cunt on message boards...[/quote]Not at all on topic, but it's because the Wii costs half as much. So if you're going to get a console with no games, might as well get the cheaper one, no?

[quote name='wildnuts02']not sure if this means much but Sony is still denying it:

Sony has no plans to cut PS3 price[/QUOTE]Interesting quote:

In a sign of lack of confidence on the side of investors, however, Sony, which has sales eight times as big as Nintendo, was overtaken by the Kyoto-based company last week in market capitalization and bumped off the list of Japan's 10 most valuable companies.

Sony has no plans to cut PS3 price[/quote]

The devil's in the details....the quote says:

"At present, we have no plans"

Presently, they didn't/don't.....doesn't mean that they can't turn around next week and have plans all of a sudden.:cool:

That quotes been around since Friday. It's not Stringer saying it and even if it was, it's already been pointed out that there is no way they would admit it before E3.

[quote name='Kayden']Why do people say they don't want a PS3 because it doesn't have any good games and then say something about getting a Wii for half as much?

I wasn't aware the Wii had any games worth playing. Should we get it just because its the cheaper of the two systems with no games or are we supposed to get it because everyone wants one? Or just maybe, we're supposed to get a Wii so we act like a smug little cunt on message boards...[/QUOTE]

The Wii software isn't that great but the sports disc (included with purchase) is worth half the system price by itself. In other words, the Wii is a fun toy.

I think the Wii is better suited for people that have not been playing games long or have not played them before..
The games out for it are not that great and most are just games you can get on the DS with the tacky Wii controls.
I purchased one and got zelda with it. Must say Wii sports is fun but playing zelda the controls just got annoying and I wanted to play with a regualr controller again..
Sold the thing in less than a month, when I got it there was not to much to play and there is not that much in the future that looks to be must have in my opinion and the controls just uggg lol..

So hopefully nintendo has a plan B and some more big titles than SSBB,metroid and mario galaxy..

As long as they keep these "intentional shortages going at least they will be popular still and sell really well this xmas to. Just a matter of time before the magic starts wearing off...

For me, $500 is still a lot of money for a videogame system. Especially one with a limited number of games worth playing. I'd rather put that money into some games I missed from the last generation.

Honestly, you guys should skip this. I'm a former Sony fanboy that got a PS3 on launch day this past November and was left unimpressed and disappointed. I sold it and bought a 360 and have put more hours into my 360 over the last two weeks than I did in like 6+ months owning the PS3. I'm serious. Everything about the 360, save for the reliability of the hardware, is superior. Better games, better interface, better OS, better multi-platform titles, more games, 10x better online service, the community aspect is so awesome as well. If you already have a 360, I'd just skip the PS3 for now.. maybe until sometime in 2008 or 2009. Literally 90% of the games line-up for the two are identical, so you'd be paying $500+ just to play a few decent PS3 exclusives (since the multi-platform games are all better on 360). If you're that hardcore into gaming where you have to play every good exclusive, no matter the console, then nevermind. But if not, do yourself a favor and save that $500 for something else more worthwhile.

Maybe this will force Sony to drop it another $50 at E3 (I can hope).

And comparing 360, or any other next gen system, to the PS2 is silly because all the Japanese RPGs are what makes the PS2 so great (look at the big discussions on the PS2 board here) and those games are still on the PS2 (GrimGrimoire and Persona 3 for the two most current). 360 with it's lack of any presence in Japan is the last system that will get all of those games (I think they'll stay on PS2 for a while).

[quote name='CHOW CHOW']Honestly, you guys should skip this. I'm a former Sony fanboy that got a PS3 on launch day this past November and was left unimpressed and disappointed. I sold it and bought a 360 and have put more hours into my 360 over the last two weeks than I did in like 6+ months owning the PS3. I'm serious. Everything about the 360, save for the reliability of the hardware, is superior. Better games, better interface, better OS, better multi-platform titles, more games, 10x better online service, the community aspect is so awesome as well. If you already have a 360, I'd just skip the PS3 for now.. maybe until sometime in 2008 or 2009. Literally 90% of the games line-up for the two are identical, so you'd be paying $500+ just to play a few decent PS3 exclusives (since the multi-platform games are all better on 360). If you're that hardcore into gaming where you have to play every good exclusive, no matter the console, then nevermind. But if not, do yourself a favor and save that $500 for something else more worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

This is a great post. I think that Sony will pull it together and ultimately flex its muscles but right now, the $500 is better spent elsewhere.

Please MS, drop to $300.

[quote name='happy']Maybe this will force Sony to drop it another $50 at E3 (I can hope).

And comparing 360, or any other next gen system, to the PS2 is silly because all the Japanese RPGs are what makes the PS2 so great (look at the big discussions on the PS2 board here) and those games are still on the PS2 (GrimGrimoire and Persona 3 for the two most current). 360 with it's lack of any presence in Japan is the last system that will get all of those games (I think they'll stay on PS2 for a while).[/quote]
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
just to name a few... and all three of those are out this year

Metal Dungeon and Enchanted Arms really don't have me psyched up for Microsoft's RPG line.

[quote name='CHOW CHOW']Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
just to name a few... and all three of those are out this year[/quote]

[quote name='Nemo_Hyde']Whats wrong with the title? REasing more at FW, many several members are confirming. GUys at the fanboy blog allegedly called the store and confirmed.

Looks like its not YMMV....price drop is in effect at Target, at least.[/QUOTE]

So you link to a site that says YMMV, and people on here says YMMV, and yet you think its not?

don't know if this was posted yet, but If you open an account for a target credit card you can take an additional 10% off (knocking the price down to $450).

[quote name='CHOW CHOW']Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
just to name a few... and all three of those are out this year[/QUOTE]
Pretty important not to forget Culdcept Saga. It's a very different sort of RPG.

[quote name='mkelehan']Pretty important not to forget Culdcept Saga. It's a very different sort of RPG.[/quote]

While were on this subject, dont forget Mass Effect as well.

On topic I would love to pick up a PS3 but find it hard to see what games i would get with it. I have a 360 so kinda hard :(

I've been waitin for a PS3 drop, all in the hopes the M$oft drops the 360...if it drops ill sign up for a target credit card and get it for a steal :)...on a side note if ur wondering about rpgs on the 360 eternal sonata looks amazing!!

[quote name='CHOW CHOW']Honestly, you guys should skip this. I'm a former Sony fanboy that got a PS3 on launch day this past November and was left unimpressed and disappointed. I sold it and bought a 360 and have put more hours into my 360 over the last two weeks than I did in like 6+ months owning the PS3. I'm serious. Everything about the 360, save for the reliability of the hardware, is superior. Better games, better interface, better OS, better multi-platform titles, more games, 10x better online service, the community aspect is so awesome as well. If you already have a 360, I'd just skip the PS3 for now.. maybe until sometime in 2008 or 2009. Literally 90% of the games line-up for the two are identical, so you'd be paying $500+ just to play a few decent PS3 exclusives (since the multi-platform games are all better on 360). If you're that hardcore into gaming where you have to play every good exclusive, no matter the console, then nevermind. But if not, do yourself a favor and save that $500 for something else more worthwhile.[/quote]
I have a 360 and I do admit it was fun for about 5 months. I was mainly addicted to Gears and also getting achievements. Then after a while I got bored with it and pissed (constant freezing, ring of death once and disk read errors) where eventually it got one red light and forced me to send it back for repairs. After reading the xbox forums, a lot of people are saying that its gonna take about 5 weeks to get your console back (which pissed me off more...I haven't even sent it back cause of damn UPS).
Don't get me wrong, the 360 is a GREAT console but it's constant hardware problems and such has made me rethink my purchase (at first, I was going to get the Wii, but it was hard and so I decided to get the 360 because of a $100 rebate offer).
I agree with you that $500 is STILL too pricy for me considering the game library is crap but 5 free blue ray movies should help lower the cost if you sell em and I'm selling my PS2 to my cousin for about another $100 so it should help me a lot. Only reason I want a PS3 is because of FF, SOCOM and....yeah thats it lol

Oh and btw, anyone else see a PS2 price cut after this?

That's an obvious indication of Microsoft losing this generation. Shit, they better just declare bankruptcy now.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I saw 8 XBOX360 LITE at BB 30 mins ago :)[/quote]

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']I've been waitin for a PS3 drop, all in the hopes the M$oft drops the 360...if it drops ill sign up for a target credit card and get it for a steal :)...on a side note if ur wondering about rpgs on the 360 eternal sonata looks amazing!![/QUOTE]

As long as the 360 remains cheaper than the ps3 (60gb), there's absolutely no reason for them to drop their price.

[quote name='Bazz']You can't say anything like that cause neither of the systems have seen some Japenese Rpg line up yet.[/QUOTE]

Only difference between now and five years ago was that the PS2 had Final Fantasy X & Wild Arms 3. If it makes you feel any better the 360 has Final Fantasy XI & Enchanted Arms (corny joke, I know).

I wasn't aware the Wii had any games worth playing. Should we get it just because its the cheaper of the two systems with no games or are we supposed to get it because everyone wants one? Or just maybe, we're supposed to get a Wii so we act like a smug little cunt on message boards...[/QUOTE]

Now that's definitely debatable, but I got a Wii because the price was damn near perfect, and Wii Sports, LoZ:TP, Super Paper Mario, Trauma Center, Excitetruck, RE4Wii kept my interest. Granted all but three of those are ports, and one is barely even a game. Still, it's MUCH easier to overlook the mediocre lineup when it's so cheap.

If you had to chose between too really horrible software lineups, you might as well go the cheaper route, especially if you're more concerned with playing something new, rather something that looks new.

And the only "smug little cunt" I see around here is you.

[quote name='toper']don't know if this was posted yet, but If you open an account for a target credit card you can take an additional 10% off (knocking the price down to $450).[/quote]

How does this work exactly? You need to charge the purchase to the card? If so, wouldn't the finance charge eat into that $50 saved?

[quote name='TwistedBishop']How does this work exactly? You need to charge the purchase to the card? If so, wouldn't the finance charge eat into that $50 saved?[/quote]Never charge anything you can't afford to pay off immediately, thereby avoiding finance charges.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']How does this work exactly? You need to charge the purchase to the card? If so, wouldn't the finance charge eat into that $50 saved?[/quote]

Yeah you put it on the card, but you can pay your bill for the card at the customer service counter before any interest builds. You also get another 10% off purchase every time you spend $1000 on the card there in case you're a big target fan.

[quote name='happy']Yeah you put it on the card, but you can pay your bill for the card at the customer service counter before any interest builds. You also get another 10% off purchase every time you spend $1000 on the card there in case you're a big target fan.[/quote]

Ah, I didn't even know that was possible. You can checkout, walk immediately over to the service desk and pay your card off?

bread's done
Back