ps3 lair $19.99 At gamestop!

[quote name='killer9']wow not a deal at all[/QUOTE]

??? It's still near full price at all the usual suspects. Do you know of a better deal?

[quote name='killer9']wow not a deal at all[/QUOTE]

wat are u talking about?! its still the around 50-60 bucks in major retailers

[quote name='riddler']oh whhhat... might have to check in-store and pick up a used copy...[/QUOTE]

Pre-owned is only a buck cheaper. Edge card will save a bit more, but I wouldn't kill myself trying to find a pre-owned unless three dollars is going to break the bank.

wow thats pretty decent... now i got 2 games to buy when ps3 gets a coupon... that and half life, the orange box...

btw.. this game got pretty bad ratings...

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']btw.. this game got pretty bad ratings...[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure most of the bad ratings focused on the poor controls which has been remedied since firmware update 1.92, before the controls heavily relied on the motion sensor but now there's an option to use the analog sticks.

[quote name='Skoad']I'm pretty sure most of the bad ratings focused on the poor controls which has been remedied since firmware update 1.92, before the controls heavily relied on the motion sensor but now there's an option to use the analog sticks.[/quote]

The controls still suck after the patch.

1) Definitely a good deal. I see it coming up around regular price everywhere else.

2) This seems to be one of those games that got knocked on really hard, because it was an over-hyped exclusive that really failed to deliver. Looking at the reviews, though, it got a number of positive ones, including a 7.25 from Game Informer. And many of the negative reviews can probably be attributed to the broke motion controls. I've never played it personally, but $20 sounds pretty good. Probably still gonna wait for a slow month, though, and just rent if from GameFly.

[quote name='Plinko']The controls still suck after the patch.[/quote]

This.

I've had this game since before the patch, and have played through it before, and after, and it's pretty awful either way. I'm surprised it took this long to hit $19.99.

I got mine from Sears for $7. After playing it all the way through, i feel as though i paid too much. Anyone who wants a copy, take mine $15 shipped (mint/complete).

I really wanted to pick this up despite the bad reviews but a lot of comments here are making me a bit hesitant.. What else sucks besides the controls? Is the length of the game alright?

This is a deal in the same way that if you could find Heavenly Sword for $20. They're both old PS3 exclusives that were over-hyped and never fell in price at retail. At least Heavenly Sword is entertaining (but short). Lair is just bad, and it has some of the ugliest textures I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='opportunity777']I got it off eBay for $14 shipped new and sealed, but it was only worth about half that.[/quote]

exactly what I was thinking. $7-8 sounds reasonable.

[quote name='LucerinRed']it's still a shitty game.[/quote]

If they paid me $20, then maybe I would play this game....HORRENDOUS!!

I recently picked up a sealed copy from a fellow CAG for $20, and I confess to having a lot of fun with it. I can't speak to the pre-patch controls, and it should be noted I'm playing on a standard definition TV set, but I've got no complaints. I'm actually really enjoying it.

The dragons don't control like fighter jets (I remember reading that somewhere). There is definitely a sense of weight and inertia to them. Once you get a feel for how they move, though, I think they perform very well. I don't yet have a copy of Killzone 2, but I'm reading that the control set for that game forces a slower, more methodical pace that some gamers are finding difficulty to adjust to; I'd say Lair falls into that same category.

The music is phenomenal -- I don't think anyone can argue that point. I've been watching some of the "Making of..." videos on the disc and I'm quite impressed. I think they said there's a 71-piece orchestra performing all of the music that was written especially for the game.

All told, I'd say this is a good deal, especially -- as others have said -- this game still retails at $60 most everywhere. And, like others, I agree it shouldn't be.

One thing this game does have is ambience. I'm really only a few ( < 7) misisons into the game, but I'm impressed with the lore of the game, its warring peoples, and the diverse creatures making up the "world". There is a strong fantasy setting to the game -- you're a dragon rider for goodness sakes -- but I feel it delivers.

Just my two cents; feel free to spend them as you choose.

[quote name='KhrevalBruuk']All told, I'd say this is a good deal, especially -- as others have said -- this game still retails at $60 most everywhere. And, like others, I agree it shouldn't be.[/quote]

Exactly. I don't know why people feel a need to tell us it's "not a deal." Unfortunately, like many PS3 exclusives, this dumb game is still $60. $20 is a deal, whether or not you like the game.

[quote name='TimPV3']If only Heavenly Sword would drop to $20 as well...[/quote]

$25 at Sears.

[quote name='WuGgaRoO']that and half life, the orange box...
[/quote]]

$10 at Toys R Us

This game is not that bad guys. It does get EXTREMELY frustrating on the last level and one particular other level but you get adjusted to the controls eventually, and certain levels are really fun. For $20 it's not bad if you're patient and open-minded.

When ever you are buying a game. The best thing is to see how well the game did rated by critics like GT, Game Spot, IGN % ect.. Look for these review episodes in youtube. At least that is what i do every time i buy a game. The last time i checked, the game was terribly made. the frames per second is unconsistant. But i would go for it if it was $7 :D.

ugh. i got this through goozex, then immediately turned it around a while back. horrible controls. no tutorial, from what i remember. all i do remember is jerking the gd controller in all sorts of directions in that first boss fight. that was the WORST. i'm not sure this is worth any price tag, but yes, thank you for your efforts op.

hopefully this is going to be in the GameStop gamedays sale, and be like $9.99. Then I will consider picking it up.

Remember when Factor 5 made cool games that had "Star Wars" in the name? Remember? Yea. Those were cool.

Shoulda stuck w/ Star Wars... now you're gone, Factor 5. :(

THAT said... I'd still like to scoop this up for cheep sometime.

[quote name='ticalmc2k2']This game is not that bad guys. It does get EXTREMELY frustrating on the last level and one particular other level but you get adjusted to the controls eventually, and certain levels are really fun. For $20 it's not bad if you're patient and open-minded.[/QUOTE]

No it's not. I beat it back around release when it had sixaxis only controls. I loved the epicness of the game.

Soundtrack was awesome as well, it's what got me to get surround sound.

Please don't buy this game. It really is as bad as everyone says (well, MOST) and there are MUCH better games to be had for 19.99.
Lair: Just say no.

This game is actually pretty decent....

I don't know what with all the negative hate on the game, a deal is a deal....

Just thought I'd swing in a tell people: not even worth $20. Bought a used copy at one point last Fall, returned it that same day.

I rented it before they came out with the control patch. I enjoyed it.. and the controls (sixaxis) wasn't so bad. The problem with the game is that, it thinks that its Rouge Squadron. The developers, made a joke out of the game. I love the characters the Dragons, the world in general, but this game is total bullshit. I think I can wait until its about .99 cents... actually, I don't think I want to play this game again. Just try to borrow it from someone, or rather just watch the youtube clips of the game. You'll see....

It's a Rouge Squadron game on dragon without a Death Star level. And that's the kindest thing I can say about it.

bread's done
Back