PS3 - Lair - Overstock.com - $38.95 ????

pd4ever

CAGiversary!
Was looking for some deals for PS3 games on Overstock.com and found Lair for $38.95. Only problem is the MSRP is listed at $39.99 and the release date is wrong compared to Amazon. Not sure if they would honor this deal or not. Is this a place holder for a different $40 game that is supposed to be released on 10/31/07? I was thinking Warhawk is gonna be $40 but Amazon has a different release date for that too. What do you guys think?

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/PS3-Lair/2560479/product.html?IID=prod2560479

Oh yea if you do give it a try you might be able to use a 8-12% off coupon or $1 shipping if any coupons are active.

Maynard made an excellent point about the EGM review in the other thread. They gave Dynasty Warriors Gundam a higher score. There HAS to be something wrong with that.

Regardless of their number score, the complaint about the controls isn't fake, but some people may not have a problem with it. I don't play for hours on end so to have to move the controller around for a while isn't a terrible thing as long as the game is responsive to the movement, graphics are good (which the review said they are) and framerate is stable.

[quote name='whoknows']Maynard made an excellent point about the EGM review in the other thread. They gave Dynasty Warriors Gundam a higher score. There HAS to be something wrong with that.[/quote]

Gundam Musou is actually a really fun game.

Seeing how I got in on Lair for only $40, I can deal.

[quote name='cleaver']Even at $41.90 I canceled it. These reviews are just too bad.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I canceled my Overstock order last night. I'll rent the game instead.

[quote name='shadowrage']I guess I'm cancelling too.

Looks like MGS4 will be my first PS3 game.[/QUOTE]

I'm willing to give it a shot. I might still enjoy it and I'm sure I can sell it on ebay for $40 if I don't (or $35 which would accoutn for $5 rental).

[quote name='bigdsinferno']Oh well, i wonder how much EB Games will give the first week. Any ideas?[/quote]Call and ask.

And next time read the reviews first.
[quote name='IGN']No doubt, that sounds interesting and fun; however, Lair's terrible controls and god-awful lock-on system make this a mission worthy of swallowing the business end of a shotgun to avoid.[/QUOTE]

Still waiting for them to ship it out. The main product page says they have it in stock, so it may take a couple of hours.

[quote name='whoknows']5 is average from EGM...so it pretty much equals around a 7 from IGN or Gamespot or whatever since they consider a 7 average.[/QUOTE]
IGN gave it a 4.9, which is pretty bad considering more often than not they give higher scores than other sites/magazines. I would say avoid this and get Warhawk instead.

I considered canceling but I figure I can just keep the game sealed up and exchange it for something else at my local Circuit City of Wal-Mart. This way I'm still getting a new game for about $40.

[quote name='kobeisgod']Regardless of their number score, the complaint about the controls isn't fake, but some people may not have a problem with it. I don't play for hours on end so to have to move the controller around for a while isn't a terrible thing as long as the game is responsive to the movement, graphics are good (which the review said they are) and framerate is stable.[/QUOTE]
The rate is not stable. Within the first 10 seconds of gameplay when I started a level at Fry's, I approached a frigate... err, I mean, "manta" (damn Rogue Squadron similarities) and it immediately started chugging terribly despite the fact that it was obscuring a large part of the scenery in my field of view. And no, I don't men the sloppy non-interpolated animation frames on the mantas (I can tell the difference). That said, the sloppy non-interpolated animation frames are WORSE than a slow frame rate. It's out-right terrible! It's like watching a DVD with only the key frames and nothing in between.

[quote name='AceHazard']I considered canceling but I figure I can just keep the game sealed up and exchange it for something else at my local Circuit City of Wal-Mart. This way I'm still getting a new game for about $40.[/QUOTE]
And sticking them with a game that they likely can't sell at $60, so you steal the difference from them. Don't act like that is OK.

To ppl that wants to get this game, this game is NOT a 4.9

Take IGN's review and throw it completely out the window. The game is also not a 9.0

Instead, it's more between a 7.5-8. The controls isn't as bad as reviewers would like to lead you to believe. It is very coherent and responsive.

If anything, give the game a rent at first, but you might be surprise

Avoid this game, and yes it earned those sub 5.0 reviews from both IGN and GameSpot. They both agree its a game to be avoided, and how many times have both been wrong about a high profile game before? Name one that scored this bad.

Maybe I should cancel my 'shop.mtv.com' order, but their customer service blows and it'd take a week for them to do anything...

If you had a lot of interest in the game before the reviews came out I'd say give it a shot.

I did and I'm really enjoying it. the 4.5 it was given is a joke.

[quote name='OldKai']Maybe I should cancel my 'shop.mtv.com' order, but their customer service blows and it'd take a week for them to do anything...[/quote]
Don't bother, it took a week after I received my package for them to acknolage my cancellation.

[quote name='HERETOSTAY']Still waiting for them to ship it out. The main product page says they have it in stock, so it may take a couple of hours.[/quote]

Today Overstock says the game is Sold Out yet my order status is still 'Accepted'. I pre ordered this thing on July 22nd. Ridiculous. What is the point in pre-ordering if this crap happens

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Still debating what I should do with this one...[/QUOTE]

Just wait. It is so universally dogged by mainstream reviewers that sales will by abyssmal and it will be $29.99 by Jan.

Just wait.

[quote name='mrg']Just wait. It is so universally dogged by mainstream reviewers that sales will by abyssmal and it will be $29.99 by Jan.

Just wait.[/QUOTE]
Wait...you're saying wait 6 months so he can save less than $9?

Yeah...about that.

And I say play it if you had a lot of interest in the game before the reviews hit since the reviews are way off.

I was wondering if I should cancel my order also, but looks like my game's almost shipped to me. I'll end up keeping it (it's already paid for). My main concern is the negative reviews about the SIXAXIS control- especially after experiencing the total fail that is the SIXAXIS control in Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Anyway, I'll give this a shot- if the SIXAXIS control fails me I may end up trading in my first game ever.

okay,WTF?I ordered mine on July 24 and it says I was charged $41 but I canceled and I checked my statements and it says I got back my $41 but today I got a package and I thought it was the Resistance game I bought on Ebay but then I see it's from overstock.I'm guessing this is it.......Did I just get a free game?

dont count on it.

[quote name='snakelda']okay,WTF?I ordered mine on July 24 and it says I was charged $41 but I canceled and I checked my statements and it says I got back my $41 but today I got a package and I thought it was the Resistance game I bought on Ebay but then I see it's from overstock.I'm guessing this is it.......Did I just get a free game?[/quote]

much to my surprise, it arrived at my door Friday, didn't notice until I picked up the daily craptastic newspaper that my parents get. (I know I ordered it from MTV, but that topic is dead.)

I decided to keep it, so I opened it up. Only $33.82 w/ really fast shipping.

[quote name='whoknows']Wait...you're saying wait 6 months so he can save less than $9?

Yeah...about that.

And I say play it if you had a lot of interest in the game before the reviews hit since the reviews are way off.[/QUOTE]

Yes, wait. First off I went to the link that is supposedly $38.95 and it is $60 now. So, no, there is no deal any longer. So, either wait til the game is for sale what it's worth (if you can stand to wait til it's $10 or less) or hell, go to the link and pay $60. Your money.

[quote name='_Sin_']dont count on it.[/QUOTE]

I was just wondering if they credited your account and then set the game out, why would it not be free? OR can they go back and charge your account? I cancelled mine, but I did not recieve anything. Now I am worried they are going to do the same thing to me.

[quote name='jkircos']I was just wondering if they credited your account and then set the game out, why would it not be free? OR can they go back and charge your account? I cancelled mine, but I did not recieve anything. Now I am worried they are going to do the same thing to me.[/quote]Well,I canceled and got an email that I got my money back and I never got an email that it shipped. The last statement about overstock says I got back my $41.I think that if I don't send it back,I'll get charged the $41.

[quote name='mrg']Yes, wait. First off I went to the link that is supposedly $38.95 and it is $60 now. So, no, there is no deal any longer. So, either wait til the game is for sale what it's worth (if you can stand to wait til it's $10 or less) or hell, go to the link and pay $60. Your money.[/quote]

You can also go to family video and get it for $50. Everything from Wii to PS3 is $8-$10 off MSRP new.

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=276361

[quote name='mrg']Yes, wait. First off I went to the link that is supposedly $38.95 and it is $60 now. So, no, there is no deal any longer. So, either wait til the game is for sale what it's worth (if you can stand to wait til it's $10 or less) or hell, go to the link and pay $60. Your money.[/QUOTE]

I got in when it was $38 on Overstock, so saving $8 (less, after tax) is really not that big of a deal.

The sad thing is that my order shipped almost 3 weeks ago, and yet--- nothing has arrived yet. The tracking is still active and the game has been sitting in Atlanta since September 5th. This is horrendously sickening.

What I was referring to about "debating" was whether to keep the game or sell it, since it will likely drop later this year. It's a tough call.

I decided that my price point for Heavenly Sword is $30, but my PS3 is so lonely right now...

[quote name='MrNEWZ']I got in when it was $38 on Overstock, so saving $8 (less, after tax) is really not that big of a deal.

The sad thing is that my order shipped almost 3 weeks ago, and yet--- nothing has arrived yet. The tracking is still active and the game has been sitting in Atlanta since September 5th. This is horrendously sickening.

What I was referring to about "debating" was whether to keep the game or sell it, since it will likely drop later this year. It's a tough call.

I decided that my price point for Heavenly Sword is $30, but my PS3 is so lonely right now...[/quote]

I've never actually returned something to walmart with no receipt. But I was so frustrated that the game turned out to suck and that overstock is run by asshole monkeys, that I had to.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']I got in when it was $38 on Overstock, so saving $8 (less, after tax) is really not that big of a deal.

I decided that my price point for Heavenly Sword is $30, but my PS3 is so lonely right now...[/quote]

Mine got to Atlanta on Sept. 4th and I didn't receive it till like September 12th (I really hate Mail Innovations). The game, however, has been REALLY fun. It's tough (I've died countless times)...but the game is fun, gorgeous and has an intersting story. Overall, I'm glad I bought it. Was worth the $38 bucks.

[quote name='tinyandi']Mine got to Atlanta on Sept. 4th and I didn't receive it till like September 12th (I really hate Mail Innovations). The game, however, has been REALLY fun. It's tough (I've died countless times)...but the game is fun, gorgeous and has an intersting story. Overall, I'm glad I bought it. Was worth the $38 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're in ATL. I'm 90 minutes SW. I've determined I'm never getting the game.

Mine came from shop.mtv.com for barely over $45, and I put it on ebay the very same day--I've heard enough negative comments from critics and forum member alike to know better than to take a $45 risk. Maybe I'll check it out once it hits the bargain bin, which, judging from the sound of things, shouldn't take too long...

[quote name='AwRy108']Mine came from shop.mtv.com for barely over $45, and I put it on ebay the very same day--I've heard enough negative comments from critics and forum member alike to know better than to take a $45 risk. Maybe I'll check it out once it hits the bargain bin, which, judging from the sound of things, shouldn't take too long...[/QUOTE]

I was able to swing free shipping from MTV.com . . . so it was $40 even.

It came quickly (last week) and since I saw the reviews, I listed mine on Amazon (where I sell lots of books) and it sold for $55 the next day.

I probably broke even but I was afraid to open it :)

bread's done
Back