PS3 not worth it?

toastman91

CAG Veteran
Ok, I just got back from target and the PS3 kiosk. And I have to admit, I was not the least bit impressed with the gameplay. The game was the NBA and it looked crappy, grainy, and gamecube quality. The other stuff like picture slideshow was cool and new and that impressed me. Is it just me/the game or is the PS3 not going to be that great? Im thinking I might end up getting a Wii now after trying the PS3. Any thoughts to lead me the other way?:cry:

I agree! I played it last night at Target. I just wasn't impressed. I think the reason is that.. it's really just OVERALL an upgraded PS2. The graphics were absolutely amazing..and I don't think anyone will argue that. But, to me, when I held the controller it was nothing but the SAME thing as PS1 and 2 controller.

I think it's because the Wii is much much different, that their controller and idea of gameplay is much different and fun...

But that's just me really

someone please explain the 6axis thing to me? does every single game use it, and is it an integral part of the control scheme? I was watching a video of some gamespot editors playing ridge racer, and they actually turned by moving the 6 axis, rather than the thumbsticl. If thats how all games are, I am extremely un-interested in the ps3 now. Jeeze why are all these video game companies steering away from what actually works. All this motion sensor crap annoys me, i wish i could just use an ordinary controller. The motion sensor thing is only cool when you can play an fps, or a sword game with 1:1 movement

[quote name='elsnow77']someone please explain the 6axis thing to me? does every single game use it, and is it an integral part of the control scheme? I was watching a video of some gamespot editors playing ridge racer, and they actually turned by moving the 6 axis, rather than the thumbsticl. If thats how all games are, I am extremely un-interested in the ps3 now. Jeeze why are all these video game companies steering away from what actually works. All this motion sensor crap annoys me, i wish i could just use an ordinary controller. The motion sensor thing is only cool when you can play an fps, or a sword game with 1:1 movement[/quote]So I atke it you're not buying a Wii?

What could possibly be said in this thread that hasn't been said a million times already, and ended up as a flame war? There's no way this is going to be constructive.

I was playing whatever that racing game is at Target, and I crashed one of those motorcycle riders rght into the rear of a white panel van on that mountian track. That shit was hilarious. Not $600 hilarious, but hilarious .

Reality's Fringe;2359667 said:
I was playing whatever that racing game is at Target, and I crashed one of those motorcycle riders rght into the rear of a white panel van on that mountian track. That shit was hilarious. Not $600 hilarious, but hilarious .
$499 Hilarious?

I'm terribly unimpressed with the number of quality games available at launch and in the near future. I can't imagine actually spending $700 for the console(tax included) + Resistance, which seems to be the only decent justification for buying a PS3.

[quote name='pop311']Why?[/QUOTE]

They're actual triggers, like the 360, but they don't have any real back-curve or grip to them, so your fingers slide all over the place. Plus they feel really cheap.

Reality's Fringe;2359757 said:
They're actual triggers, like the 360, but they don't have any real back-curve or grip to them, so your fingers slide all over the place. Plus they feel really cheap.
My thoughts exactly.

When I played it, I was seriously in awe of the graphics. Sony, without a doubt, has that going for them. It looked phenomenal.

Playing it was a different story. The Sixaxis sucks. The triggers are terrible, and game wasn't near as fun as Excite Truck, which I played previous to Motor Storm, or Moto Cross, or whatever the heck it was called.

[quote name='Z-Saber']My thoughts exactly.

When I played it, I was seriously in awe of the graphics. Sony, without a doubt, has that going for them. It looked phenomenal.

Playing it was a different story. The Sixaxis sucks. The triggers are terrible, and game wasn't near as fun as Excite Truck, which I played previous to Motor Storm, or Moto Cross, or whatever the heck it was called.[/QUOTE]

See, I thought the graphics were ok, but I didn't notice anything awesome about them. I think the worst part about the visuals was the lack of attention paid to the backgrounds. All of the crowd members looked the same, and the surrounding enviroment was just a blurry, static mess.

I also DO NOT like being automatically taken and reoriented when I'm driving across the track as I see fit. This is something next-gen games need to fucking get on. The graphics may be there, but that type of bullshit needs to quit. If I want to drive up the hill and into the crowd, damnit, that's my perogative.

Aside from that, the interface is pretty slick and it makes a sweet noise when you select a menu option. I also don't think my virgin entertainment shelving could handle that thick, black machine...

This thread is pretty shitty, as it's just one long PS3 bash-fest. I also love how the OP is basing his opinion of the PS3's off a crappy NBA game.

Imagine if we all had based our opinions of the 360 off THAW or Madden 06. Yeah.

Launch games are almost always terrible. There are exceptions, but as a rule, if a game hit when the system launched, it'll be pretty terrible.

To base this opinion on an NBA game (since canceled, right?) on a demo kiosk is silly. Personally I don't think it's worth it right now to invest in one, but just because the demo kiosk doesn't have a specacular game doesn't mean they won't be coming in the coming months / years.

I thought the motion sensing worked pretty well. It was attached to that rubber thing on the kiosk so it will take a little pressure to turn each direction and automatically go back to centered if I didnt use force. Only problem is with just the controller that resistance wont be there and I think it woul be a little more awkward. I dont know. Just something I was thinking about. Looked amazing though.
Do I think its worth $600? Sure, but I wont be able to get one for awhile so it doesnt really matter.

Cool I'll join in

Sony is a shity company that makes even shitier products, all of which are over price. They are run by a group of god-damn fools who don't know they mouth from their ass. They can't say anything good about the PS3 because evryone by now knows that they are lieing to save their jobs. Why should I spend $600 on a system I know will break. How do I know this? they can't even make laptop batteries correctly and they have been around for 10+ years.

Sony is complete shit and so is their PS3 which will break in no time. That's of course if it even works to begin with which is doubtful.

Yep the ps3 videos i'm seeing don't even impress me. The PS3 is looking worse and worse every day.

then don't fucking buy one. if the only thing you're going to do on here is bitch about how you're dissapointed, then don't buy one. go waste $250 or whatever on a game that little kids play. seriously, if you get excited over the Wii, you really are mentally retarded. a controller for each hand, that sounds exciting to me. Yet another Zelda game is just what the world needed. Red Steel is probably the shittiest game in regards to graphic i have ever seen. But really, sit here and complain to everyone about the PS3, when really you should shut the fuck up and buy a Wii

ZOMG lol i fukin hate gamez kids pla 2, its lik my grlfrend is sucking mi dik and shes think im good at gta so yea fuck u yur all fags and i bet u suk dick. wii (is like dicks lol) is 4 kids and ps3 is for adultsi know cuz i make a ton of mone a year and i cud kick ur ass.

[quote name='crushtopher']then don't fucking buy one. if the only thing you're going to do on here is bitch about how you're dissapointed, then don't buy one. go waste $250 or whatever on a game that little kids play. seriously, if you get excited over the Wii, you really are mentally retarded. a controller for each hand, that sounds exciting to me. Yet another Zelda game is just what the world needed. Red Steel is probably the shittiest game in regards to graphic i have ever seen. But really, sit here and complain to everyone about the PS3, when really you should shut the fuck up and buy a Wii[/QUOTE]

God forbid anyone voices there opinions on a 600$ dissapointing game console on a site called CHEAP ASS GAMER.COM

Reality's Fringe;2359906]See said:
I think about stuff like this all the time and totally agree. But then I often think, "Also, if I want to get out of my car and start running around the place, I should be able to!"

Then I get to thinking about how I'd want to be able to purchase and eat a virtual sandwich from a restaurant in the background, then not pay for it and argue with the manager and slap him and run away.

The scale of the games I'd like to play just won't happen in my lifetime. :cry:

[quote name='crushtopher']then don't fucking buy one. if the only thing you're going to do on here is bitch about how you're dissapointed, then don't buy one. go waste $250 or whatever on a game that little kids play. seriously, if you get excited over the Wii, you really are mentally retarded. a controller for each hand, that sounds exciting to me. Yet another Zelda game is just what the world needed. Red Steel is probably the shittiest game in regards to graphic i have ever seen. But really, sit here and complain to everyone about the PS3, when really you should shut the fuck up and buy a Wii[/QUOTE]

That reminds me, I think I've seen more kids with PS2's and GTA's then I have seen them with Gamecubes and Zeldas.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']I think about stuff like this all the time and totally agree. But then I often think, "Also, if I want to get out of my car and start running around the place, I should be able to!"

Then I get to thinking about how I'd want to be able to purchase and eat a virtual sandwich from a restaurant in the background, then not pay for it and argue with the manager and slap him and run away.

The scale of the games I'd like to play just won't happen in my lifetime. :cry:[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, but I mean, driving into the crowd doesn't fall on such a obscure scale as some of the other shit I'd like to do. For example I found a couple of shortcuts on the track, and the game placed me back on the course until I drove the correct way (in one case, it was around the right side of a sign instead of the left). I don't think it's too much to ask to pay more attention to stuff like that (andthis goes for ALL game consoles/manufacturers). Of course, this is moto....something we're talking about here, so I'm sure it's not indicative of the future. Dead Rising had some good moments, and I'm sure someone will come up with something on the Ps3 to fill my lust for doing things against the norm.

I'm not sure if you were being facetious about that sandwhich thing, but that sounds sweet. Even better if you could stick his face in the cash register and slam it a few times.

Have fun playing the biggest launch title for the PS3...

Riiiiiiiidge Raaaaaacer...

SEVEN!!!!

Or maybe the billionth basketball game.

:lol:

You are funny!

[quote name='crushtopher']then don't fucking buy one. if the only thing you're going to do on here is bitch about how you're dissapointed, then don't buy one. go waste $250 or whatever on a game that little kids play. seriously, if you get excited over the Wii, you really are mentally retarded. a controller for each hand, that sounds exciting to me. Yet another Zelda game is just what the world needed. Red Steel is probably the shittiest game in regards to graphic i have ever seen. But really, sit here and complain to everyone about the PS3, when really you should shut the fuck up and buy a Wii[/quote]

Amongst the nonsense, he's actually giving some good advice.

So when Sony copies Nintendo (and they will, see everything) will the SonyMote be 'cool and awesome'?

Sigh, yet another Zelda, yet another Gran Turismo. Yet another GTA. Yet another...C'mon. Zelda is an AWESOME series. With each game getting better (opinion I suppose, but what Zelda games suck?). Enjoy all the endless rehashes that Sony will have.

Reality's Fringe;2360064 said:
ZOMG lol i fukin hate gamez kids pla 2, its lik my grlfrend is sucking mi dik and shes think im good at gta so yea fuck u yur all fags and i bet u suk dick. wii (is like dicks lol) is 4 kids and ps3 is for adultsi know cuz i make a ton of mone a year and i cud kick ur ass.

You made my signature. Thanks!

[quote name='evanft']This thread is pretty shitty, as it's just one long PS3 bash-fest. I also love how the OP is basing his opinion of the PS3's off a crappy NBA game.

Imagine if we all had based our opinions of the 360 off THAW or Madden 06. Yeah.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. This thread is trash.

The PS3 hasn't even been given a chance to prove itself, and people are bashing it to hell before it's even been released.

[quote name='evanft']This thread is pretty shitty, as it's just one long PS3 bash-fest. I also love how the OP is basing his opinion of the PS3's off a crappy NBA game.

Imagine if we all had based our opinions of the 360 off THAW or Madden 06. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

People did. Please do a search on the 360 launch last year and check. It was MS bash central.

In Sony's defense the TVs used at Target are not all that great. Its a DEMO, not the full 'Best Buy Magnolia Experience'.

We need a "Console gripe" thread in each forum where people can post doubts/negative experiences. That would (hopefully) cut back on all the "Wii is gamecube 2" "Sony is doomed" and "M$ Sux" threads in those respective forums.

Ya, I saw Bommar Men on da 360 & I was jut knott empresd at al. I meen, it wuz crapy, graney, and dreemcost qualtiy. Teh xbxo Lvie wuz nice &all....but it saemed like teh 360 wont B dat gud, ya no? I thik all get a PSp fur da sam ting bot fir cheepre, ne1 agres wit me?

I wonder why the ps3 is getting more of a beating then any of the other systems... I wonder if its becuse sony makes the ps3 or if its really the ps3s fault.

Launch game are not always bad.. Remember Dreamcast and their awosome launch title? Remember Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure? Those launch title look great and play good. And nxt week Wii will launch with TP.

That's funny you bring up the Wii with Zelda as their launch title.....that's their only GOOD launch title out of the 15+ titles avaialble at launch. Hey, the PS3 is going to launch with Resistance Fall of Man -- it's got 1 good title just like the Wii does. Launch titles have always sucked.

Can we get a mod to close this thread? We got all these damn Wii60 fanbois who apparently have nothing better to do than make, "Sony SUCKS" and "PS3 SUCKS" comments. If you don't like the system then there's no need to post here.

Sony sucks.

The reason why we say this is because when Sony steals the ideas of MS and Nintnedo, like we all know they will, you will praise them for doing something great. Yet when MS or Nintendo did them first all the Sony fanboys will say they are shit and have nothing good.

[quote name='Setzer']Can we get a mod to close this thread? We got all these damn Wii60 fanbois who apparently have nothing better to do than make, "Sony SUCKS" and "PS3 SUCKS" comments. If you don't like the system then there's no need to post here.[/quote]That's not really the point of this thread, though it is certainly what some have made it. The real point is, that, for many of us, Sony hasn't proved that the PS3 is worth $100, let alone $500 or $600. Some people are set on getting it on the name and reputation alone, and that's fine, but very little outside of a rather generic-looking FPS would lead most people to buy at launch (save for eBay silliness).

But as you said, almost all launch titles categorically are awful, especially compared to what comes later in a system's life. Thus, being an early-adopter is a risky thing.

i say if you have 600+ bucks for the main unit plus a good size LCD/Plasma screen to support it and just money to burn on a launch unit run, that could brick itself within a few months..go for it...................... if not just wait. I didn't get my cube til 2 years later after launch, the PS2 5 years later after launch (thank god for the slim!) and 5 years after the Xbox 1.

Lol...I think PS3 could shape up to be a pretty cool system, but it all depends, it's very early. I just don't like some of the stuff it has so far, or the controllers or games, but it could all change. I wasn't a big PS2 fan either so who knows.

It'll be sweet if the system breaks and is an easy fix like PS2 so I can pick one up for cheap hehe.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Launch game are not always bad.. Remember Dreamcast and their awosome launch title? Remember Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure? Those launch title look great and play good. And nxt week Wii will launch with TP.[/QUOTE]
Except that Sonic Adventure sucked.

bread's done
Back