PS3 scheduled for $100 price drop to $499.99 after E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Since the $100 price drop is now confirmed, and we have the additional news of the 80GB Motorstorm bundle, let's lock this thread down and continue discussion here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143983

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speedy1961 just posted his ad thread for two weeks from now, for 07/15/07 to 07/21/07. Thread's over here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143618

In the Circuit City section just posted, the following is listed:
  • GAMERS / MOVIE AFFICIANADOS: Please note $100 Price Break on Playstation 3 Game System which brings the price down to $499.99 // Remember that you can get 5 free Blu-Ray DVDs with purchase of any Blu-Ray Player / Game system by going here: http://www.bluraysavings.com/
Looks like $100 price drop might be announced at E3.

hopefully this will give it a nice boost. now it's just plain ridiculous how much you get for the price (tech wise.)

This is nearly completely nullified by the lack of the 20 gig model, though it did sell better back then so we should at least return to those levels.

Price drops don't happen in a vacuum. Consider the effect of a price drop on the PS2 versus the GC or Xbox1. The market leader widens the gap, whereas those that are far behind merely get a casual boost.

Consider the price drops and bundles of say, the Saturn.

My theory is that price drops flex current trends, but do not change them.

The tech that you get for the price is utterly meaningless. What are the GAMES you get for the price relative to the competitors.

This basically confirms it, let's see how long it takes for the major news sites to report on this and not give CAG or Speedy credit.

Edit: Just remembered that they'll probably reference DVDtalk, which is fine by me.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']This basically confirms it, let's see how long it takes for the major news sites to report on this and not give CAG or Speedy credit.[/QUOTE]

One hour max.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']This is nearly completely nullified by the lack of the 20 gig model, though it did sell better back then so we should at least return to those levels.

Price drops don't happen in a vacuum. Consider the effect of a price drop on the PS2 versus the GC or Xbox1. The market leader widens the gap, whereas those that are far behind merely get a casual boost.

Consider the price drops and bundles of say, the Saturn.

My theory is that price drops flex current trends, but do not change them.

The tech that you get for the price is utterly meaningless. What are the GAMES you get for the price relative to the competitors.[/QUOTE]

so you're saying it's a...wait, what are you saying?

yes, it's a gaming system first and foremost, if you're asking for a list of every PS1, PS2, and PS3 game ever, try wikipedia.org.

why is the tech you get meaningless? because you don't like it. that's why. just admit it.

I dont know what was unclear about that. I'm saying what matters are the games that you are offering versus the games the competitors are offering. The technology is a non-factor in this.

I'm pretty sure they'll announce a price drop at E3, but I was expecting at least a $150-$200 price drop instead of $100. Oh well still good for people who hasn't bought a PS3 and plan to.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Does $499 make it the cheapest Blu-Ray player currently out?[/quote]
Nope. There's a Samsung-built Blu-Ray player @ TigerDirect for a few bucks under $499.99.

I know there was some issues with the 20/60GB's not both showig up on the coupon, so hopefully this just isn't a misunderstanding on someone's part down the line.

The 20GB skus are gone from retail stores.
You only finds odds and ends out there, but the majority of 20GBs are online only.

[quote name='dallow']The 20GB skus are gone from retail stores.
You only finds odds and ends out there, but the majority of 20GBs are online only.[/quote]

I can't look it up now but I thought I read something about it says 60GB at the bottom and then later was changed or something to include both... I'll broswe for it later unless someone else saw that too.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont know what was unclear about that. I'm saying what matters are the games that you are offering versus the games the competitors are offering. The technology is a non-factor in this.[/QUOTE]

You do know if you average the top 10 games on the PS3, it's a higher score then the top 10 on the Wii right?

Sorry, I overlook a lot that you say, but sometimes you just get fucking annoying with this shit.

If it had dropped down just $100 more, I would've been able to pick one up...

Jman, where did you buy the PS3 from? Depending on the place you might be able to get a price match.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont have a problem with them rating higher. Hell, famitsu rates the hell out of most 360 games.

The question is, do they sell?[/quote]No one buy the PS3 please, let's settle for less!

[quote name='aerozero']If it had dropped down just $100 more, I would've been able to pick one up...

Jman, where did you buy the PS3 from? Depending on the place you might be able to get a price match.[/quote]

Got it from walmart. Doubt they would do anything. I really hate walmart lately. lol

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont have a problem with them rating higher. Hell, famitsu rates the hell out of most 360 games.

The question is, do they sell?[/QUOTE]

You questioned what are the games you are getting. Not if they sell or not. Don't throw stones in a glass house. Yes you hate next gen, yes you hate online, yes you hate HD, great, but don't come into a thread that is good news for a system you hate and shit all over it.

It's one thing to have a preference, and it's a another to just be totally ignorant.

The point I am attacking is that technology for the value has anything to do with console sales.

Has there ever, EVER been a relationship, in the portable or home console market, between marketshare and technology that wasnt neutral or negative?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The point I am attacking is that technology for the value has anything to do with console sales.

Has there ever, EVER been a relationship, in the portable or home console market, between marketshare and technology that wasnt neutral or negative?[/QUOTE]

So the wii-mote hasn't sold any wiis?

I didnt bring up the Wii. When I talk about PS3's competitors, I chiefly mean the 360.

I think overall 360 is still a better value when it comes to the games and the system.

E3
amazing killzone
amazing game 1
amazing game 2
amazing game 3
amazing game 4
amazing game 5
amazing game 6
And price drop.

Thats e3 08 sony

Honestly, if the Wii didn't have the "cool, fantastical" Wii-mote.
I would never have purchased it. (at launch)

EDIT:
Is the Wii a bad value?
Even though it's cheap, it has a severe lack of games?

So best value right now, is 360 out of all 3?

This will be good news if it is true...I was hoping for a bigger cut as well, but the $300 I have in reward zone credit to best buy will ease the purchase for me

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I didnt bring up the Wii. When I talk about PS3's competitors, I chiefly mean the 360.

I think overall 360 is still a better value when it comes to the games and the system.[/quote]

hahahahahha the only thing that is better in the 360 is they now have a 3 year warranty because the failure rate is 33%

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I didnt bring up the Wii. When I talk about PS3's competitors, I chiefly mean the 360.

I think overall 360 is still a better value when it comes to the games and the system.[/QUOTE]

You asked about technology and market-share and I responded.

[quote name='seanr1221']So the wii-mote hasn't sold any wiis?[/quote] last gen tech at a last gen price. LESS tech for the value than PS3, I'm sure we can all agree.

Wiimote doesnt sell anything. Its the software

[quote name='jman619']Got it from walmart. Doubt they would do anything. I really hate walmart lately. lol[/quote]

isn't it if the price is lowered within 60 days you get the money back

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']last gen tech at a last gen price. LESS tech for the value than PS3, I'm sure we can all agree.

Wiimote doesnt sell anything. Its the software[/QUOTE]

:rofl: Yes, because everyone would pick up wii-sports if it was played with a gamecube controller.

How many people become interested in wii games because of new wii-mote controls?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']last gen tech at a last gen price. LESS tech for the value than PS3, I'm sure we can all agree.

Wiimote doesnt sell anything. Its the software[/quote]

No one would care to play those games if they didn't think the wii mote was magic. Mario party 8 broke records because the commercial made it seem it was wii mote heavy and wii sports and all the other quirky titles. Wii sports is complete garbage without the wiimote

Wiimote doesnt sell anything. Its the software[/QUOTE]
what games, there really hasn't been many yet...I haven't turned mine on since early dec.

[quote name='panasonic']hahahahahha the only thing that is better in the 360 is they now have a 3 year warranty because the failure rate is 33%[/QUOTE]
More and better games on the 360, cheaper.

[quote name='zewone']More and better games on the 360, cheaper.[/QUOTE]

And superior online. Achievements too if that's your thing.

For the record. DMK only owns one Wii game.
The best Wii game, Trauma Center.

He must agree with us that there are no other worthwhile games to play.
Perhaps SPM.

Software sells my ass.
Super low console price + magic Wii-mote.
That sells.

This is a nonsensical, fictional scenario. Clearly the software has to DESIGNED AROUND THE HARDWARE. It doesnt exist independently.

I think we're splitting hairs to an extreme degree.

[quote name='jman619']Of course the price drops after I buy one. You can all thank me. The bad luck king lives on...[/QUOTE]

Thanks jaman! You the best! Selfless sacrifices like you purchasing a PS3 for $600 makes the world a better place for the rest of us!

Seriously, a $500 PS3 with FF would sell me in a second.

[quote name='dallow']For the record. DMK only owns one Wii game.
The best Wii game, Trauma Center.

He must agree with us that there are no other worthwhile games to play.
[/quote]

nah, there are lots of games I would buy, but I dont spend money as frivolously as you do ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back