(PS3) Silent Hill: Homecoming $16.99 on Amazon.com

ps3 version native resolution is 1024x768 or something similiar but in wide format. its really bad...i picked up the 360 version for 19.99 this morning though.

For anyone like me who has to play inverted, pass on it...Konami decided to be dicks and not include the option to play inverted and said they would never patch it either.

You can all thank me, I'm responsible for this price drop. After I bought it, it dropped a few dollars :p

[quote name='mitnosi']You can all thank me, I'm responsible for this price drop. After I bought it, it dropped a few dollars :p[/QUOTE]

Thanks whodi. Now let me send u a list of games I want so that they drop in price lol.

[quote name='headbanger1186']For anyone like me who has to play inverted, pass on it...Konami decided to be dicks and not include the option to play inverted and said they would never patch it either.[/QUOTE]

I use to play inverted ... Silent Hill: Homecoming saved me from the madness. An inverted Y-axis really doesn't make any sense when the X-axis isn't but here I was playing that way because some other game made me learn it that way, probably a Nintendo one. I'm here to tell you that you don't HAVE to play that way, you have a choice. You're in control and you can stop at anytime. :joystick:

Once I got past this, and the fact it wasn't by Team Silent, it wound up being a really good game, quite disturbing at times, and a really good Silent Hill game, some of the best boss fights in the series ... Downpour could learn a thing or two from this game, and vice versa.

I'm hoping to pick it up on steam sometime soon and play it again, this time in 3D. :D

[quote name='technicalstylez']ps3 version native resolution is 1024x768 or something similiar but in wide format. its really bad...i picked up the 360 version for 19.99 this morning though.[/QUOTE]

Are there any other differences between the two console versions?

I own both consoles and want the best experience possible. Whether it is resolution or exclusive download content.

How is Silent Hill: Homecoming?

I have yet to complete a Silent Hill game. Still have SH2 and Shattered Memories in my backlog.

Probably should get around to finishing the first game since it is free to PS+ members. Now I must decide, to either transfer my PS1 save file to my PS3 or dig out my PS1 to play again.

you can skip this one. play silent hill 2. maybe 3. that's all you really want. (and the first if you get it free psn+)
/ also no trophies

Have to agree with a lot of the other comments on SH1 free to plus members, not bothered getting this as I still haven't completed the first 2.

[quote name='Velo214']you can skip this one. play silent hill 2. maybe 3. that's all you really want. (and the first if you get it free psn+)
/ also no trophies[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I take it I should pass on Silent Hill 4: the Room as well?

the only silent hill game that is a true sequel is part 3 which is a sequel to the original

you don't need to play the others before homecoming, which i thought was extremely underrated, i don't understand the hate for the game

[quote name='Barry Burton']the only silent hill game that is a true sequel is part 3 which is a sequel to the original

you don't need to play the others before homecoming, which i thought was extremely underrated, i don't understand the hate for the game[/QUOTE]

I liked the game at first,but other than the combat,it was pretty shitty.The atmosphere wasn't there at all.The monster design was mostly shit if ask me,and the puzzles weren't well done at all.It also borrowed so much from the damn movie,and the pacing was shitty,in which you would go through long periods without even fighting anything.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Fair enough. I take it I should pass on Silent Hill 4: the Room as well?[/QUOTE]

It's really subjective. Pretty much everything after Silent Hill 3 was sort of divisive among fans. I know people who hate Silent Hill 4. Other people like/love it and were upset that it wasn't included in the HD Collection. For me, Silent Hill 4 was one of the most memorable in the series, and I found it creepier and more intense than SH 2 and 3 (which I also love) with a deep, interesting story. *shrug* It also has some of Akira Yamaoka's best soundtrack work, in my opinion. It's really one of those things you should play for yourself with an open mind (as are Homecoming and Shattered Memories...).

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Fair enough. I take it I should pass on Silent Hill 4: the Room as well?[/QUOTE]

It's hard to take advice from people on what you should and shouldn't play, especially when they haven't experienced it fully, being it read the entire book, watched the whole movie, or in this case finished the game. I've played games that I just couldn't bring myself to finish also but I've also like a ton of games that most people didn't, like Golden Axe: Beast Rider. :lol:

I've played every Silent Hill, huge fan of the series ... in it's entirety, and the only one I haven't finished is Origins. I even bashed Homecoming when it first came out and later on when I gave it another try and got over my fan boyism wound up liking it and now it's one of the few games I've 1000G'd. Personally, I wouldn't pass on any of them and thought they were all great games in their given times and Homecoming is now one of my favorite, maybe even the most disturbing of the bunch.

It's funny that people are encouraging you to play a PS1 game (or early PS2 games) which had clunky controls and horrible combat over a game that plays better, looks better, and has far more disturbing stuff in it.

[quote name='themaster20000'] ... and the pacing was shitty,in which you would go through long periods without even fighting anything.[/QUOTE]

That's Silent Hill ... it's supposed to be that way. This isn't CoD, or what Resident Evil has become.

Thanks OP.
tnjkiiou
Really like the silent hill series.

The no invert thing killed this game for me as well. Is it available on PC? If so, can you invert there (or has someone unofficially modded it to allow you to)?

EDIT: Just answered my own question. :p Apparently you CAN invert the y-axis on the Steam version. Now to just keep my eyes peeled for them to put it on sale.

clunky controls and horrible combat are part of the silent hill gameplay ;)

n i liked silent hill 4 the room, but it wasnt meant to be silent hill even til the end when they tossed that name on it and put some text files in about walter sullivan kinda tieing it to the cult. i thought the game was fun and creepy with the peep holes and the apartment getting tore up and the locks on the door, but def different game than silent hill 2. i just have nostalgia for silent hill 2 like ff7 and castlevania sotn. lol

i played n beat homecoming but just thought a rental was good enough, but this price is so cheap if you are interested go for it.

I completely forgot about Silent Hill: Origins. I have that on my PSP backlog.

Yeah, I figured people either liked or disliked Silent Hill 4: The Room for various reasons.

I mean, I heard people say that it is a great game, just not a Silent Hill game. More of a spin off to the series.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I use to play inverted ... Silent Hill: Homecoming saved me from the madness. An inverted Y-axis really doesn't make any sense when the X-axis isn't but here I was playing that way because some other game made me learn it that way, probably a Nintendo one. I'm here to tell you that you don't HAVE to play that way, you have a choice. You're in control and you can stop at anytime. :joystick:

Once I got past this, and the fact it wasn't by Team Silent, it wound up being a really good game, quite disturbing at times, and a really good Silent Hill game, some of the best boss fights in the series ... Downpour could learn a thing or two from this game, and vice versa.

I'm hoping to pick it up on steam sometime soon and play it again, this time in 3D. :D[/QUOTE]
Being forced to do it and coming back after that one game (which sounds like what you're saying) is not even close to playing games inverted your whole life, like I have. And you're wrong, the Y axis and X axis are completely different so it does make sense to invert Y and not X.

Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb gave one of the better analogies about inverted controls. He said, imagine the thumb stick was on the back of one of your eyeballs. Which way would you press it to look up? Look down? Exactly.

The fact that they refuse to patch this is ridiculous. I refused to buy the Splinter Cell trilogy because for some reason they forgot to incorporate inverted controls, even though they were in the originals. They eventually patched it and I bought it.

fuck Konami.

Last edited by a moderator:

I disagree with him. It's all opinion, but I thought this was a great game, and if you like Silent Hill or horror games it definitely should not be passed on.

[quote name='hollowfreak']It's hard to take advice from people on what you should and shouldn't play, especially when they haven't experienced it fully, being it read the entire book, watched the whole movie, or in this case finished the game. I've played games that I just couldn't bring myself to finish also but I've also like a ton of games that most people didn't, like Golden Axe: Beast Rider. :lol:

I've played every Silent Hill, huge fan of the series ... in it's entirety, and the only one I haven't finished is Origins. I even bashed Homecoming when it first came out and later on when I gave it another try and got over my fan boyism wound up liking it and now it's one of the few games I've 1000G'd. Personally, I wouldn't pass on any of them and thought they were all great games in their given times and Homecoming is now one of my favorite, maybe even the most disturbing of the bunch.

It's funny that people are encouraging you to play a PS1 game (or early PS2 games) which had clunky controls and horrible combat over a game that plays better, looks better, and has far more disturbing stuff in it.

That's Silent Hill ... it's supposed to be that way. This isn't CoD, or what Resident Evil has become.[/QUOTE]

Well that one in the series had a much bigger emphasis on combat than the other ones in the series,so that was terrible pacing for the game.The others ones you could get through without fighting at all,this you had to fight.

Aside from Silent Hill 1,2,3 I thought the others were pretty unique. I'm currently playing Downpour, it does have bad frame rate problems in some stages of the game. There are even other references to the main characters in downpour.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Being forced to do it and coming back after that one game (which sounds like what you're saying) is not even close to playing games inverted your whole life, like I have. And you're wrong, the Y axis and X axis are completely different so it does make sense to invert Y and not X.

Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb gave one of the better analogies about inverted controls. He sain, imagine the thumb stick was on the back of one of your eyeballs. Which way would you press it to look up? Look down? Exactly.

The fact that they refuse to patch this is ridiculous. I refused to buy the Splinter Cell trilogy because for some reason they forgot to incorporate inverted controls, even though they were in the originals. They eventually patched it.

fuck Konami.[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly, that's like someone saying," oh....you want to play guitar left handed? Well screw you, you're going to learn this way or not at all." if we are going to invest In a product then make it accessible for everyone. I know I'm one of the few that play inverted but my goodness it couldn't be that hard to patch that into the control scheme options. Anyways, they said I could play non inverted or not at all which is why I traded something for it and got it used...still ended up trading it away. Uninverted games are unplayable for me, you might as well ask me to write right handed, which I can't and it looks like shit.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']Being forced to do it and coming back after that one game (which sounds like what you're saying) is not even close to playing games inverted your whole life, like I have. And you're wrong, the Y axis and X axis are completely different so it does make sense to invert Y and not X.

Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb gave one of the better analogies about inverted controls. He sain, imagine the thumb stick was on the back of one of your eyeballs. Which way would you press it to look up? Look down? Exactly.

The fact that they refuse to patch this is ridiculous. I refused to buy the Splinter Cell trilogy because for some reason they forgot to incorporate inverted controls, even though they were in the originals. They eventually patched it.

fuck Konami.[/QUOTE]

I don't play inverted anymore is what I'm saying, it hardly makes sense to me to push down to look up and up to look down on the Y-axis when the X-axis is left for left and right for right. Up until that point I was playing with the Y-axis inverted in every game that I could and couldn't play any game that I couldn't. It was the only way I played FPSs. I wasn't born with a Y-axis so I won't say for my whole life, we had joysticks, paddles and eventually dpads!! :lol: It wasn't that hard to force myself out of it and actually I'm glad I did.

I see what you're saying about the eyeball thing but that only works if both axis are inverted.

Thanks for the warning about lack of Y-inversion. From the look of it, there are quite a few CAGers who also rely on it. For this reason alone, not buying.

As a side note, I dislike how most games make me Y-invert. From what I recall, many original PC 3D games (DOOM-era) were what today is called "inverted". It should be the opposite IMHO.

Wow, I didn't know inverted controls were such an important issue.

Glad I'm so amazing I can play any game, whether it's inverted or not.

Seriously though, after an hour or so of playing whatever I don't even notice if the controls are inverted or not anymore.

Silent Hill being my favourite series, I say, Play 4, It's by far my favourite one. Downpour(The latest installment) is also fantastic. The only ones that are actually kinda bad are Homecoming and Origins, and Shatty Mems is...well...different.

I want to chime in... I do not have homecoming, but I picked up downpour yesterday.

Damn it is actually quite entertaining. I do not understand the reviews at all. The atmosphere has been great, the music has been great, I have really enjoyed the game so far and I am not even in silent hill yet.

This is just my opinion but I never play a game with inverted controls.
I was just curious have there been famous games made in the past with only inverted controls?
Thanks

[quote name='headbanger1186']For anyone like me who has to play inverted, pass on it...Konami decided to be dicks and not include the option to play inverted and said they would never patch it either.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I never bought it.

Homecoming is well worth it at this price. Not the best in series SH game, but enjoyable and entertaining nonetheless.

[quote name='mikepeluso']This is just my opinion but I never play a game with inverted controls.
I was just curious have there been famous games made in the past with only inverted controls?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Nintendo was famous for not letting you customize your controls, iirc most Zeldas are half inverted. The thing that bugged me the most about being half inverted is the 2 axis are separate, it works for flying games like Starfox but when you're aiming the 2 axis are actually fighting against each other when one is inverted and the other isn't. Try making a circle with your reticule when you're only half inverted.

I thought I was the only weirdo who played inverted. I usually invert the X and Y axis for 3rd person games, but leave them normal for 1st person games.

Recently I made myself just play all games with the 'normal' X and Y axis. I got tired of some games only letting you invert one axis or the other, or simply not having it at all.

There's a decent amount of inverticism in this thread (racism's ugly cousin).

I use inverted Y and normal X because I feel those mimic the actions of your neck the closest. The back of your neck goes down when you look up, and it goes up when you look down. But you still turn your neck left to look left and right to look right. Inverted Y-axis has always just been the way my brain worked...but I still can't play a game if I can't change the X-axis controls if need be, either. I think Bard's Tale on XBOX original didn't allow this...and don't quote me on it but the cartoony zelda (windwaker?) on Gamecube didn't allow you to change, either. It's just completely unplayable.

Disagree Downpour even with it's crappy slowdown is better than Homecoming. Downpour side missons are awesome, beating heart, or man in the painting. Revisiting the room from SH4.. Homecoming was alright. I however do agree that SM was better than both.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']There's a decent amount of inverticism in this thread (racism's ugly cousin).

I use inverted Y and normal X because I feel those mimic the actions of your neck the closest. The back of your neck goes down when you look up, and it goes up when you look down. But you still turn your neck left to look left and right to look right. Inverted Y-axis has always just been the way my brain worked...but I still can't play a game if I can't change the X-axis controls if need be, either. I think Bard's Tale on XBOX original didn't allow this...and don't quote me on it but the cartoony zelda (windwaker?) on Gamecube didn't allow you to change, either. It's just completely unplayable.[/QUOTE]

Ha, interesting.

For first person games, I picture myself the person, so I can play with normal X and Y axis controls since that is the way you move your head.

For 3rd person games, I picture myself behind a big telescope I guess. So I think of having to push the back end of it to the left to pan right, down to pan up, etc. Weird, I know.

[quote name='matttco']Disagree Downpour even with it's crappy slowdown is better than Homecoming. Downpour side missons are awesome, beating heart, or man in the painting. Revisiting the room from SH4.. Homecoming was alright. I however do agree that SM was better than both.[/QUOTE]

The glitches are very annoying in DOWNPOUR! One of them leaves you locked out of access to multiple subways!

[quote name='JaylisJayP']There's a decent amount of inverticism in this thread (racism's ugly cousin).

I use inverted Y and normal X because I feel those mimic the actions of your neck the closest. The back of your neck goes down when you look up, and it goes up when you look down. But you still turn your neck left to look left and right to look right. Inverted Y-axis has always just been the way my brain worked...but I still can't play a game if I can't change the X-axis controls if need be, either. I think Bard's Tale on XBOX original didn't allow this...and don't quote me on it but the cartoony zelda (windwaker?) on Gamecube didn't allow you to change, either. It's just completely unplayable.[/QUOTE]

I used to play with an inverted Y-axis as well so I like to think of invertism as being more of a condition that with education and support can possibly averted or overcome through tolerance and programs such as Invertics Anonymous. :lol:

Yes, Wind Waker. Luigi's Mansion was another one iirc. Oni for PS2 was one of the games that I just couldn't play because of its controls ... I just can't remember why.

... so when's the next Silent Hill coming out? I can't wait. :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up, OP. Getting away from the Homecoming Vs. Downpour debate, the fact of the matter is that the impending releases of Downpour and the HD Collection caused the Amazon Gougers to come out in full force. I think Homecoming prices peaked around $40 used at one point, so it's nice to see that the price has come back down to earth to a more reasonable sub-$20 pricepoint.

[quote name='geohouse']Picked up homecoming 3 years ago at Best Buy for $10.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have a time machine to share so we can all partake in that deal then I don't see the relevance of a 3 year-old price to what something costs now in the present. Also, if you can travel forward in time and let us know when it will cost $10 again we'd appreciate it.

[quote name='LCAWC']Unless you have a time machine to share so we can all partake in that deal then I don't see the relevance of a 3 year-old price to what something costs now in the present. Also, if you can travel forward in time and let us know when it will cost $10 again we'd appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWVrdDEudU

bread's done
Back